Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #256
Paul J Statham
Sign Maker

Oddometer: 33
Great trip

Mr Philly .
Great trip . I do appreciate your efforts . I usually read at lunch as I have told you before. I was just wondering where are the pictures of the scantily clad women on the beach? I have not heard any mention of a Mrs. Philly therefore not much excuse,you need to add them for those of us stuck in the office while you are living our dreams. You might as well make us all totally jealous. !!!!
Good Ride Report my friend.
Paul
Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #257
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Awesome reports. Unreal journey.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #258
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J Statham View Post
Mr Philly .
Great trip . I do appreciate your efforts . I usually read at lunch as I have told you before. I was just wondering where are the pictures of the scantily clad women on the beach? I have not heard any mention of a Mrs. Philly therefore not much excuse,you need to add them for those of us stuck in the office while you are living our dreams. You might as well make us all totally jealous. !!!!
Good Ride Report my friend.
Paul
Paul is this the kind of thing you are dreaming about I am that frog
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #259
Paul J Statham
Sign Maker

Oddometer: 33
Improved picture content

Dean
Now you seem to be on track with the pictures.
Keep them coming and don't for get the beach
Ride safe.
Paul
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #260
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Torres to Porto Alegre, Thursday, 28 March 2013, Day 268

Puerto Alegre iconic landmark gasworks some of these industrial building can be rather attractive.[/caption]

I have been spoilt for the last couple of weeks as every where I had stayed had breakfast included of varied quality but today there was none so went round the corner to the local bakery and had a nice breakfast there before hitting the road.

Destination Porto Alegre only 200km away choice one follow the coast or choice two stay on the main road 101 that goes inland ish. Decide to stick with the coast and the weather is also not sure what it wants to do and it keeps trying to rain but never enough to stop and pull the waterproofs on but enough to keep the road damp and slippery. Dull road guess I was spoilt rotten yesterday and back to dull flat straight road supposed to be running along the coast but cannot see the sea. I do hope its not going to be like this for the rest of the trip. Pulled into Porto Alegre at about 2ish and had plugged a couple of hostels into my GPS. The first had no safe parking for Daisy but the second one did and I have a 10-bed dorm all to myself as its empty, which surprised me, as it was Easter weekend was expecting it to be difficult to find accommodation.

Most interesting shot of todays ride![/caption]

Been trying to get a half decent Internet connection to do some admin as its the 1st April soon and needed to get an extension on my personal tax return as no way I can complete that whilst traveling and also the tax man is bugging me for a tax return for my new company which is strange as it only been up and running since October last year and normally they give you a years grace in your start-up year so need to ensure I do not get a fine and in the taxman bad books in my first year of business! And the yearly bills are piling up so a good couple of hours with a connection would be nice but nope-dodgy intermittent Internet here and of course there is a man coming to fix it but that will be tomorrow. So also unable to get my blog updated either.

So decide to go for a short walk round the neighbourhood, which of course in Philly fashion turned, into a long hike all over town. Nice enough place ended up at an old disused power station watching the sunset and the folks there was also an interesting exhibition about Cartoons in the Power Station.

Walked everywhere it seemed I do hope I left something else to see tomorrow it was busy in town and I walked around the central market which was buzzing as everyone was doing there last minute shopping before Easter I am guessing it will be a lot quieter on Good Friday.

Back the hostel given up on the Internet as its frustrating as hell working with a dodgy internet connection so am reading my book instead John Grisham the legislators interesting enough page turner of a book nearly finished it.

I am that frog :-)[/caption]
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #261
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Porto Alegre, Friday, 29 March 2013, Day 269

Some more industrial landscapes for a change![/caption]

Spending another day in Porto Alegre got up just in time for breakfast as it was nice in my huge room which I thought I had all to myself but someone else had arrived during the night. Relaxing morning Internet still up the spout but spend the morning in the garden with my Kindle finishing my book and then of for another marathon hike around Porto Alegre. As I mentioned yesterday Porto Alegre not really that much of a tourist destination and a bit run down in places but a had a great day just walking around taking in the sites and taking loads of crap photos in the hope there may be that wonder shot in there somewhere :-)

Left the hostel at about 12 and got back at about 7 so that 7 hours just wandering around all over the place covered a lot of distance today I think.

The man for the Internet has not turned up either so its worse tonight so blog will have to wait did manage to sort some of the other stuff that needed doing in the moments that it was cooperating but to frustrating to work with a dodgy connection so going to start yet another book to catch up with all the reading I promised myself I would do on this trip as usual left to the last minute :-)

No idea where I am going tomorrow as it would be nice to have a look on the Internet but let it be a surprise its either Rio Grande or a place called Pelotas which has a yearly candy festival wonder if its this weekend?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #262
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,885
Laugh Hey attention grabbing slut

(see post 219)
awesome trip
it is the coolest
hope this post gives you the attention you crave

Seriously - great story. May finally catch up today. Color me jealous of you adventure
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #263
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,885
it's been 5 days since Philly last posted. Hope it is just crap internet.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #264
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
it's been 5 days since Philly last posted. Hope it is just crap internet.
Nope just Philly being idle so will post something soon!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #265
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Porto Alegre to Cassino, Saturday, 30 March 2013, Day 270

Leaving Porto Alegre[/caption]

Oops I have let this slip so mad catch up must be because I am so close to the end that this is no longer a chore a cherish but I will persevere on behalf of my loyal fan base and I hate reading blogs or ride reports that just end in the middle with the last bit omitted or the end of the story so I am determined not to let this happen with mine, I even have some plans on adding a couple of extra pages with the Finances, Accommodation list, Cost and kit reviews but I digress lets get back to the story. Weird day had two options of a final destination and was unsuccessful in either and ended up putting my tent up in the dark. So the original destination was Pelotas uneventful run there tried a few hotels but all rather expensive and was not getting a great feel from the place and I had a plan B which was Rio Grande so pulled the plug on Pelotas but first checked out the beach to see if I could find affordable digs there. Nope there was not much going on there either so onwards and forward to Rio Grande. So no Candy festival in Pelotas but there was the festival of the sea in Rio Grande, which made finding accommodation for Daisy and I nigh on impossible. Tried loads either too pricy or full or no safe parking. So what was supposed to be an easy relaxing day was turning into a pain in the ass. Eventually decided to pull the plug on Rio Grande and head for Cassino next town down the coast. All of the above had taking a lot of time and it was getting dark. On the way into Cassino spotted a campsite but first wanted to try and get a bed for the night in Cassino but no joy there either so back to the campsite and I am putting my tent up in the dark. So my original plan failed back under canvas its been a while. Went back to Cassino for my dinner nice Lomito sandwich and back to my tent with my kindle for the rest of the evening.

Was passing what looked like a modern block of flats but on closer inspection turned out to be a multi-storey graveyard![/caption]

Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #266
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cassino to Punta del Diablo, Sunday, 31 March 2013 to Monday, 1 April 2013, Day 271 t

In Paraguay they had pigs around there national monument so new country Uruguay new monuments this time bulls![/caption]

Good nights kip in the tent packed up and heading to Chui in Brazil or Chuy in Uruguay to cross the border into my final new country on this trip. Had found a hostel on the GPS in a place called Punta del Diablo, which I like the sound of.

Pleasant enough ride a huge fire in the distance and some interesting wild life around to keep me interested.

Hit the border long queues at immigration and some folks doing some market research on folks experiences and trips in Brazil which killed a bit of time but was finding difficult to remember where I had been and even harder to remember how to much I had spend and embarrassing on telling folk how much I earn especially when compared to local wages here. It made me think what a bloody fortunate chap I am not short of a bob or two and I am whizzing around on me bike without a care in the world.

Was a bit confused when I got through the Brazilian side was expecting the Uruguayan part next but there was a town of Chuy or was it Chui and had I missed the Uruguayan customs so was thinking of doing a U turn when I figured out I am still in Brazil and its some while till the Uruguayan border for some reason they have put the border post before the town. So decided to fill up with Petrol and got into another ruck with some bloke jumping the queue arrogant tosser thinks as he in a big car he can jump the queue so I call him on his arrogance and of course he is all apologetic as if he did not realise which pisses me of even more when folks do something wrong and they know dam well they are doing something wrong and start apologising without really meaning it. No I do accept your apologises and you sir are an arrogant fucker who should not be allowed out in polite society. Philly is hot and sweaty and looking for a ruck and scared the hell out of this fella I am not a violent person and a total pacifist at heart but I look like I could do some damage and I have a gob on me that is quite ruthless if required which can get me both into trouble and out of trouble depending on the situation and this fella needed to be brought down a peg or two.

Need to chill and cool down before hitting the Uruguay part of the border which was a breeze nice chap doing the formalities so back in a better mood in no time and its only a short ride to Punta del Diablo my destination because I like the sound of the place.

Fun and games as usual with GPS![/caption]

My GPS was doing it usual trick of not wanting to cooperate and had been directed me in a huge loop to my destination which I kept ignoring so I was 30km away from were I wanted to be and it was telling me I was 288km away.

I found out why later as the road I was travelling on turned into a runway for airplanes for the military so Mr Garmin did not see this as a road and kept on redirecting me I just followed the road signs!

Before Punta del Diablo a nice fort called Santa Theresa where I stopped for a while for a look at first they tried to charge me then it was free which was confusing but spent some time here before heading to the hostel in a cool little seaside town which had a really cool vibe to it.

Went for a short walk looking for food and then back to the hostel and just chilling there.

Punta del Diablo[/caption]

As I had loads of time on my hands had decided to spend another day here woke up had my free breakfast weather dull and overcast so hung around the hostel for a while in the hammock and then went for a long walk along the gorgeous coastline which was nice. Had a late lunch/early dinner than back to the hostel and chatting to the folks there.

Kite Surfing on my to do list another sport Philly can be crap at :-)[/caption]

There where so many request from my fan base out there for pictures of Philly on a surfboard here you go.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #267
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Punta del Diablo to Punta del Este, Tuesday, 2 April 2013, Day 273

Why is it you can never get your camera out and up and running quickly enough when you spot stuff like this![/caption]

Plan today was to hit the road and head to national park along the coast. Weather still dull and overcast and trying to rain and when I got to the national park I was expecting to spend a couple of hours doing a lorry tour around the cape but unfortunately the end of the season was on the 1st of April so no tours just a bus/truck to the village every hour or so. You where not allowed in with your own vehicle.

So plan B heading for Punta Del Este as there a re a few hostels their problem is they are also shutting for the end of the season but after trying a couple find one that is still open and go for a walk. I need to collect enough cash to pay for getting Daisy home and I am trying to get USD out of the machines here so that I can play the Blue Market in Argentina where if you are lucky you can get 8 ARS instead of the official 5 ARS which will cut the coast of shipping but after visiting every machine in town no joy on getting USD and even struggling to get UYE Ho hum.

Walk around town and it very cold and overcast but pleasant enough walk and spot a cinema that is showing the film Les Miserables which is one of my favourite musicals at the theatre and I was curious on how they had adapted this for film. So spent a very pleasant evening lost in the French revolution for a couple of hours and must say enjoyed the adaption a lot and as I was expecting it to be complete pants but the big name stars could even sing a bit and it was very well done. Yes Phillys is a huge musical fan and theatre buff when he not riding his motorcycle round the Americas and has missed his daily dose of culture so tonight was a pleasant escape in to another world where everything is in song :-)

Punta del Este[/caption]

When I got out there was a huge storm so made my way back to the hostel trying not to get wet and spent the rest of the evening chatting to the folk there and of course working on this.

Added Note. This morning when I woke up I was suffering from a spell of dizziness and sick feeling in my stomach so am I coming down with something or is it is something else. The dizziness not ideal combined with motorcycling and the nausea is never pleasant. Not sure if I am ill but perhaps all of a sudden I have a case fear, fear of what I do not know but as I am getting closer to the end of my trip it maybe fear of not knowing what to do once this trip is completed and the unknown or maybe I am just ill?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #268
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Punta del Este to Montevideo, Wednesday, 3 April 2013 to Friday, 5 April 2013, Day 27

Montevideo[/caption]

Short run to Montevideo storm had past but still dull and overcast not the most exciting of runs but did stop of at a wavy bridge I wanted to see and hit Montevideo at about 1pm first hostel no parking on site for Daisy only a public car park so headed to another one I had the address for and a recommendation from a Swedish chap this morning and they had a garage and a it was a really nice looking place so I checked in for 3 nights.

Puente leonal Viera or AKA Wavy Bridge[/caption]

Route 66 Flashbacks![/caption]

As I was unpacking my thing there was a huge leak as a pipe had burst upstairs but that was soon rectified.

Went for a walk round the old city which was nice and as usual trying to get USD out of the cash machines but failing miserably tried loads so at the end of the day end up pulling UYE which I will try to change to USD at a reasonable rate.

Western Union was another plan for getting funds in cash across to pay for Daisy trip home but what a piece crap organisation they are. Firstly could only transfer a max of 500EUR to Argentina and when I tried to do this computer said no but managed to send 500 EUR to Uruguay. In theory you are allowed to do two transfers before you are then obliged to do a mandatory identification obligation just in case you may be involved in a monetary laundering scheme but for some reason Western Union declined my second attempt to transfer funds from myself to me and the computer told me a needed to call them to validate the transfer which I managed to do using Skype as I do not have a functioning phone with me. So when they finally did answer the phone they refused to carry out the transfer and could give me no real valid reason why so in short Western Union sucks big time so needed a plan B which mean hitting the cash point every day for the next week or so trying if I can to get USD out if not UYE and looking for the exchange places with the best selling rate for USD.

Also means carrying large wads of cash around which does not make me feel that comfortable oh well.

First day in Montevideo leisurely breakfast find a Western Union office to get the one transfer cashed that I was allowed to make and then a long walk along the coast. On my way I hear music being played so make my way towards that and I stumbles across a live dress rehearsal of the band Franz Ferdinand who where doing a live concert in an outdoor stadium that evening and I got to see the rehearsal which was interesting and a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Walked for miles as well and got back to the hostel a tired little bear and spent the evening working on this and working out my cash position and doing some finances.

For Lies whilst wandering around town came across a silent demonstration and when I inquired what it was for it was about domestic violence and violence against women so once a month they come and demonstrate silently with the placards to try and get message across to the folks and the government that violence against women is unacceptable (against everyone in fact) and something needs to be done about this to ensure it does not happen or is at least reduced. So Lies I was wondering if you are in contact with this group with the work you are doing on this in the NL?

Second day again a leisurely breakfast and hit the town again heading for the parts I had not already covered walked for miles again hit millions of cashpoints looking for USD and not being successful. Found a great high building with a viewing tower with some great views and again walked all over the city.

Montevideo nice city just for wandering around I would not say it was fabulous place and a must see place but I had a pleasant couple of days here. Dizziness and Nausea still there but not as bad and if I am totally busy I do not notice it as much so guess I am not sick and it just a bad case of eeek what the fuck to do with the rest of my life so the only cure for that is well I will let you know when I have figured that one out will just try and keep busy in the meantime.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #269
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Career plans?

From an outsider's perspective; You are on day two hundred seventy four of an epic trip across and down through North, Central, and South Americas on a motorcycle solo. You have planned and executed this trip within your finances which you earned in a previous career position. You have met many challenges along the way, found solutions to unexpected difficulties and prepared yourself to deal with the day to day routines by learning the predominate language of the area. Pending the normal background check of Advriders for crimes of bestiality, I think any employer would be privileged to have you as an employee. Especially someone in the motorcycle industry.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #270
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
From an outsider's perspective; You are on day two hundred seventy four of an epic trip across and down through North, Central, and South Americas on a motorcycle solo. You have planned and executed this trip within your finances which you earned in a previous career position. You have met many challenges along the way, found solutions to unexpected difficulties and prepared yourself to deal with the day to day routines by learning the predominate language of the area. Pending the normal background check of Advriders for crimes of bestiality, I think any employer would be privileged to have you as an employee. Especially someone in the motorcycle industry.
Wow as usual Rutabuga you really know how to lift my spirits the above comments really made my day :-)