Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #271
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Montevideo to Colonia Del Sacramento Saturday, 6 April 2013 to Sunday, 7 April 2013 D

Today is my last reasonable long trip on Daisy on this side of the world. I am quite sad about this. A short run of 180km to Colonia Del Sacramento, unfortunately for the final run pretty dull. Was looking forward to Colonia as usual one of those places that had been hyped up all the tourist blurb so lets just say nice enough place but nothing like its billing I should be used to that by now but it does irritate me a little bit. Found a new hostel that had parking and went for a wander on what seems to be the never-ending search of a cash point that gave out dollars no joy so found a place with a reasonable rate to exchange UYE to USD so slowly building up the cash I need in Buenos Aires for shipping Daisy.

Spent the rest of the day walking round the town which was pretty small but pretty enough, nice sunset and then headed for a shopping mall on the outskirts of town hoping they would have a food court for some cheap and nice food for my dinner but turned out to be tiny and just a supermarket so brought a slice of meat pie and a bottle of pop so that is dinner sorted and back to the hostel

No breakfast at this hostel so I had a sleep in and out and about looking for somewhere nice to have breakfast and again looking for cashpoints that work and that dispense USD. Had a an omelette on a nice little terrace near the harbour and spent the rest of the day just wandering around town which had old classic cars just parked up on the street all over the place which I thought was a great idea as I do like me classic cars and there are certainly a lot floating around in Uruguay maybe these are folks actual cars!

For dinner I had Chivito AKA Chacarero or what I have been calling them in this blog a Lomito sandwich for dinner after watching another nice sunset and then back to the hostel to chill.

dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #272
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 392
Great

Great thread. I like your outlook on things and the trip was fantastic. Hope all is well. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Wishing I could do even a fraction of this in real life. Cheers!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #273
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Colonia Del Sacramento to Buenos Aires, Monday, 8 April 2013, Day 279

Long way down![/caption]

Margaret Thatcher dead said the immigration officer with a huge grin on his face and a huge smile no Buenos Dias or other courtesies or pleasantries that you usually get when going through customs. As soon as he knew I was British all he wanted to talk about was the fact that the iron lady had past away and what excellent news that was. This may be a good thing for the Anglo Argentinian relationship and maybe a lot of the anti British sentiment may be reduce because of this event but I personally took no pleasure on the gloating and the joy that this gentlemen had on the demise of a former prime minister (human being) or the subsequent outpouring of ding dong the witch is dead which was to fill the social media for the coming weeks as I personally have an admiration for Maggie and what she achieved this was never popular or a cool position to have not that I agreed with everything that she did as like us all she made loads of mistakes as well but least you knew her position was on an issue and I am old fashion you may not agree with everybody’s point of view that may differs from your own but you should respect it.

Due to this historic event my entrance back into Argentina was easy and straight forward but that could also be due to the fact that this was the 5th time I was coming into Argentina so knew the process pretty well by now.

Left the hostel at about 9 with yet another run at the cashpoint and then to the money exchange to maximise the amount of cash USD I had which I would need to pay for Daisy getting home then headed to the docks to catch the boat to Buenos Aires. Had some empanada for breakfast whilst waiting to be boarded and then onto the boat. Easy and pleasant journey met up with an Israeli biker Doron http://doronsvoyage.wordpress.com who was also heading for Dakar Motors http://www.dakarmotos.com

Arrived back at Dakar Motors at about 1pm been there before so was like coming home or was nice to be back in familiar places with friendly folk who I already knew. Daisy needed to be at the airport in the morning so first order of business was getting the paperwork started and the first payment of USD 100 for Sandra Broker fee so of to the photocopy shop for the relevant copies and filling the paperwork and a trip to the local supermarket to get some dinner in and the rest of the evening sorting my kit out and prepping Daisy for her big trip back to the Netherlands. Dumping loads which I do find difficult as a hoarder and a tight arse but my sleeping bag I have had for 20 years so I guess that is due for replacement and my tent which still had some miles in it but was looking a bit tired and needed some TLC so not worth lugging this kit back to NL only to chuck this kit away there maybe someone can make use of this. Whilst going through my stuff I still could bring myself to chuck certain t-shirt and bits of kit away even though threadbare and minging I get very attached to this stuff. One of my panniers had been leaking so some kit had got a nice bit of mould on it so that was slightly easier to part with. Other bits and pieces I had carried for 65,000km and I had never used or worn so those extra hiking boots had a grand trip of the Americas without ever seeing daylight I most confess I do carry to much kit but would I change anything well probably not as I would rather have to much and not use it than to little and find I need it and if there room in the panniers well its gets filled.

Did a dry run of striping down Daisy ready to be transported on the plane so that is taking the mirrors; front screen and GPS mount of. Glad I did as I could not get the screen of because way back in June 2012 in Canada it had come loose so Philly being the mechanical genius with his tool kit of duct tape, zip ties and Loctite had made sure that the screen would never ever come loose again and had gone to town on the 4 screws holding the screen on and there was no way these where coming loose so in the end I had to break the screen to get it off. It was already cracked in two places where I had over tightened the screws. So anyone in the Netherlands got a spare screen for Daisy as she looks rather naked without it I can have please contact me :-)

Fortunately that evening Javier was there so had some muscles to break the screen and to concur that it was the only way that screen was coming of without taking the whole front end to pieces and it was already buggered as mentioned earlier and it was also 12 pm at night and was heading to airport at 9 the next morning.

The reason Javier was there was we where expecting an American couple *and Hoa http://whyweroam.wordpress.com who had crashed there bike 2 days earlier at Rada Tilly way down South In Argentina and straight after the crash had put the bike on a back of lorry and had been traveling North since then still covered in blood and dirt from the crash. They arrived at about midnight Hoa had a mashed foot and Suma one hand in bandage (turned out later to be broken) and the bike a huge GS BMW on the back of huge truck and the only way to get it of the back of the truck was with good old fashion muscle power. Javier called a mate of his Carlos and there was me and the driver of the lorry and Doron who kept insisting that it was impossible to get the bike of the lorry with just us and Javier telling him to shut the f**k up as this was not the first time he done this :-) Well we did manage to get the bike off the lorry but I also had my doubts, as did my poor back.

Turned out to be a long day and late night after we sorted out Suma and Hoa changed their bandages fed them and got them settled in never a dull moment at Dakar Motors :-)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #274
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Buenos Aires, Tuesday, 9 April 2013 to Thursday, 11 April 2013,Day 280 to Day 282

Ready for Daisy last run in South America being seen of by Javier of Dakarmotos[/caption]

After a late and eventual night needed to get the bike to the airport by 10.30 and the traffic here is pretty horrendous so left at about 9.30 with clear instructions from Sandra on the route and the process I needed to follow to get Daisy back home. Its only about 35km to the airport so I had given myself an hour but as I pulled onto the ring road wall to wall traffic and as mentioned before on this blog with my panniers on very difficult to split traffic and I was also a little bit nervous and did want to take any risks as it would be very embarrassing to come a cropper after 281 days and 65,000km on the road so settle in trying to enjoy my final run on Daisy crawling along at a snails pace to the airport.

I was late but no problem met up with Eliza Massy who was also shipping her bike Cape Town South Africa and we waited for Franco the agent who was going to guide us through the process.

First through security to the Export shed then prepping the bike which meant sorting luggage, disconnecting the battery, removing sticky out bits such as mirrors, panniers, top box and screen (Broke this of last night) and letting some air out of the tyres.

Bike then strapped to a palette and sent of to be x rayed and sniffed by the sniffer dogs and then back to us to be shrink wrapped and that was it. This had taken a couple of hours was expecting a lot longer but all done had a good laugh with the blokes working there and Eliza whilst doing so time had flown by.

Bye Daisy safe trip and I will see you in Amsterdam[/caption]

First strapped to the pallet then off to be x rayed

Then shrink wrapped not sure that Daisy is that much of a plastic fetish![/caption]

Shown how to get back to Buenos Aires on the local workers bus by Franco where we where dropped of in the center. Said Tata to Eliza will meet up with her to finish up the exportation tomorrow grabbed some lunch and had a nice picnic on the square in front of the pink palace and it was dawning on me that I was alone my companion for last year was strapped up on her way to Amsterdam via London and this was nearly at the end of my trip! Gulp pull yourself together big boys do not cry but it was quite sad an end of an era.

Made my way back slowly to Dakar Motors checking out loads of exchange places looking for the best deal on changing my USD to ARS on the blue market but none of them offering black market rates ooops this could turn out to be expensive. At Dakar an Australian couple had joined us at the hostel Adam and Mackenzie http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/AdKenz/ so another pleasant evening at DakarMotos chatting and sharing a nice Vietnamese meal that Hoa had prepared as a thank you for last night.

Good times good food and company at DakarMotors[/caption]

Next day I had got an address of a money exchange from Alex and Andrea so was pinning my hopes on that I could change my dollars at a decent rate so headed straight there. Extremely nervous as I walking around Buenos Aires with about USD 2,500.00 in cash in my pocket so was expecting to be mugged at any moment as it was written all over me that this bloke is the a walking cash machine mug him. Made my way to the address I had not sure I went to the right place but did find a place that was offering 8.1 ARS per US compared with the official rate of 5.14 ARS per USD so result there changed 950 USD in ARS with a saving for me of about 500 USD on the exchange rate yes result so I had about 11,000 ARS all in 100 ARS bills next stop to Navicon office to pay for Daisy shipping and meet up with again with Eliza. Got the paperwork and then needed to go next door to the bank to pay and get a receipt for the payment. This took forever but Eliza was good company even though she was a bit hung over still :-)

So the finances sorted and very relieved that I was no longer carrying that much cash on me anymore back to Navicon to get the Master Airway Bill. Turned out they had screwed up with the shipping mixing my paperwork with of Doran who also shipping tomorrow and he a had a special request around timing that cost a bit more for immediate shipping me I had no urgent timelines so took a while to sort this out and many printing and reprinting of the MAWB as there where loads of other mistakes on it such as passport number and other details so caution always check the documentation.

So that Daisy sorted hope she gets there okay and I had a couple of days left before I to was the plane. I was full of good intentions and list of things to do in Buenos Aires but at the same time I was totally exhausted and my energy levels at all time low so made my way back to DakarMotos and did not do much more than that as the weather was atrocious and was happy enough just doing very little and just hanging around DakarMotos chatting and relaxing with the folks there.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #275
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
where to next?
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote