Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #46
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Fairbanks to Denali National Park, Monday, 9 July 2012, Day 35

Denali National Park[/caption]

Got to bed quite late after calling Skypeing the folks had a whole dorm (tent) to myself which was nice and was very tired so did not wake up till nine had a shower which cost a quarter a minute and you had to feed it one at a time and you guessed it as always it stopped when you are all soaped up or at the most awkward moment. Leisurely load of the bike which is filthy and went round a couple of motorcycle dealers looking for some oil for my chain lubricator got some eventually not sure that it will work, did write a note to OSCO the manufacturer but have heard nothing from them yet and I sure they are going to say that there oil is specially engineered and others will not work in the system but have got some BMW branded Scott oil so when my does run out its going in and bugger the consequences. Always hated chains and chain maintenance on motorbike there has to be a better design I know how about a belt like on my old bike I do miss that low maintenance solution. Had a late breakfast early lunch at Safeway and also found a hose at a petrol station so gave the bike a good hosing down as it was covered in mud from yesterday.

Nenana[/caption]

Bit of a dull road out of Fairbanks but the sun was shining but a guess after yesterday everything is going seem a bit dull but was the end as I enter Denali National Park it went back to being spectacular. Spent the rest of day at the Park but unfortunately you could only take your own vehicle 15 miles into the park and if you wanted to go further you had to get a bus or a tour and it was late in the day and did not fancy this just mucked around in the area I was allowed in which was very pleasant.

Finally pulled myself away and headed to hostel down the road and unlike last night this is full got the last bed in a dorm. Went for a pizza, which is huge so I guess that breakfast sorted. Tomorrow plan is to head back into the park and watch the sled dog show but after that I am in bit of a quandary whether to head down to Anchorage and or start back towards Canada via the Denali highway which I heard excellent things about so decision time will decide in the morning.

dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #47
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Denali National Park to Tok, Tuesday, 10 July 2012, Day 36

Bloody cold![/caption]

What can I say about today except cold cold bloody cold. Brrrrr. Got up and it was drizzling so got a shower packed the bike and had cold pizza and coffee for breakfast mmmm something about cold pizza. Plan A was to go and see the sled dog demo and after that had not got a clue had thought about going to Anchorage the long way round via the Denali Highway but the weather was not cooperating so decided to wait till after the husky demo on what to do. The demo was great fun and you where able to get real close to the dogs and pet them and they are really friendly maybe I should get a dog when I get back as I do like them.

It was dry at the Denali National Park which was 10 miles away from the hostels so I decide to do the Denali Highway and decide whether to go North to Canada or South to Anchorage that does not sound right but its correct have to go a long way north to get back into Canada. Denali Highway is another dirt track and I knew it was a bit rough for the first couple of mile in and the last couple of miles out well it turned out it was crap and hard going for the first 30 miles no real track to follow and huge stones boulder all over the place and they had let those stupid huge road smoother loose on the road which in my view make the road worse for motorcycle as if left alone the a natural single track which is easily followed bit when smoothed there is no track and it like driving in treacle.

Denali Highway[/caption]

The road improved but then it started to rain so turned slippery and then it started getting cold as I mentioned before I had changed all my gauges to American so my temperature gauge was hovering around the 42 Fahrenheit range but later I started to climb and went into the clouds when suddenly a big yellow light on my dash started flashing which shook me for a while as it was cold and wet and I was in the middle of nowhere and I realised it was ice warning light the temp had dropped to 37 Fahrenheit which I had no idea what that was in real money but I new it must be near freezing as my flashing yellow light was telling me. Just looked up the temperatures 37 is 2 centigrade and 42 is 5 centigrade so brass monkeys weather no wonder I had lost all feeling in my fingertips and to top it all cold wet slippery no visibility the rain turned to sleet turned to snow.

37 Fahrenheit 2 Centigrade![/caption]

So this was supposed to one of the nicest roads in Alaska and I was trying to hang on fro dear life except I lost feeling in both me hands and had not felt me toes for quite some while and I was getting near to the end of 137 miles road which I new was supposed to be bad and if anything like the beginning I was in for a hell of ride. I think because of the weather I could not see the road so just ploughed through everything and before I new it was on tarmac again on the other side. First thing I did was find a café ordered a coffee and a Philly Sandwich and sat there dripping and shivering trying to get some feeling back into my extremities.** Decision time, which was pretty easy it look like the weather, had turned cold and Anchorage was another 350 miles away decided to head to the border which was North to get me back on a southerly trail and hopefully warmer climes. Had a name of a hostel which was 170 miles away so put back on my wet gear batten down the hatches and just got stuck in. Wet and cold and road works but looks like my off road skills are improving as I was able to keep up with the pilot car through along stretch of muddy road works so all the practise I been getting is doing me good or I an just numb and brain dead from the cold and oblivious to anything the bike is doing. Got to the place where the hostel was supposed to be but could not find so plan D headed for Tok and hoped that the ambulance I stayed was free. This was another 60 miles down the road not what I wanted but it had stopped raining and visibility had improved so quite a nice run into Tok even though my legs had stopped functioning and no feelings in my Hands and even though it stopped raining my wet kit was starting to dry as the water evaporates which cause cooling so I was cold to the bone when I finally reached the campsite. Bugger Ambulance taken but fortunately they had a walled tent which is a hut frame with a canvas skin empty and that us where I am know had a sort of a sauna and pour a bucket of hot water over myself so feeling a lot warmer and my the Hut is reasonably large so my stuff is Hanging up drying all over the place. Two of my panniers leaked not sure if that was down to me not making sure the seal was clear or they are just crap will have to keep an eye on this but the inner bags and the waterproof computer bag did there job so no biggie. Back into Canada tomorrow so the Alaska part of my adventure is over. Would have liked to seen a bit more of the south of Alaska and would have liked to see Mount McKinley in all its glory but did not fancy freezing my nuts of to do this and have to make a call and live with the decisions I cannot do everything even though I would like to.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #48
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tok to Whitehorse, Wednesday, 11 July 2012, Day 37

Back in the Yukon[/caption]

Well back in Whitehorse why because they have two Tim Horton’s there that why. Not really just a happy coincident. Had a great night sleep had pulled my long Johns and thermals out as I was expecting a cold night but was very toasty so was difficult to get up. Sun was shining and it was warm total contrast to yesterday slowly pulled my kit together and headed to a place called Fast Eddies and had missed breakfast by 15 minutes why they cannot serve breakfast type food all day is beyond me it cannot be that difficult and some of us can eat breakfast type thing at anytime of the day not only in the morning so I ended having a teriyaki chicken burger for breakfast. I missed the café when I was leaving town so had to do a U turn and the site I saw made me regret my decision to leave Alaska so soon blue skies snow covered mountains oh yes that was why snow.

Why am I leaving Alaska[/caption]

Beautiful day in the saddle after a late start good road except for the odd roadwork’s but you had perfect black tarmac, purple flower on the side, green forest, turquoise lakes and snow covered mountains either side well it does not get better than that and it was like this for most of 600 plus km.

Back in the Yukon[/caption]

Oh yes I am back to metric and it was between 18-22 degrees centigrade all day total opposite of yesterday put a most enjoyable day in the saddle. Headed for the same hostel I stayed in last time but this was full so went to one round the corner which is just as good it was 9.30 when I got there but I had gained an hour coming back into the Yukon so walked out to Tim Horton’s for my fix been more than week and will be going there for breakfast tomorrow heading South to the Cassiar Highway see how far I get along but if anything like today happy to ride forever with scenery like I have seen today so regret leaving Alaska maybe but Canada is also tops as well

Destruction Bay[/caption]
Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #49
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whitehorse to Boya Lake , Thursday, 12 July 2012, Day 38

Roadworks queue[/caption]

For some reason totally wired been another long day and I am beginning to feel the miles I have been putting. I am back under canvas in beautiful campsite next to a crystal clear Boya Lake.* Was out of the Hostel at a reasonable time but had a of a faff in Whitehorse first port of call Tim Horton’s but do you know it was not as good as in my imagination been missing loads and when I get it very mediocre how strange is that. Then went to big super market to get some deodorant and then filled up the bike with some fuel which I seem to be doing an awful lot of these days 3 times today I am paranoid that I am going run out in the middle of no where and also doing a lot of km’s.

Finally hit the road to Carcross where there was a Desert only a small one but desert never the less.

Carcross[/caption]

New Job![/caption]

After that a long drive to Watson Lake already done this road in the other direction but for some reason it was not giving me much of a buzz as I said I am a bit tired today but it is strange how one day you see scenery and go wow that is the bees bollock the following day same scenery you go that’s nice, following day same scenery that’s Ok and there after you do not really notice it becomes very déjà vu very quickly. Must not let this happen to me. At 5 stopped for some food, as I knew I was camping and wanted to ensure I was good till tomorrow morning and on the menu was something called pirogues or something like that with bacon an onion. Asked what is and they explained it as some doughy thing filled with potatoes and cheese. Still none the wiser so as I like all of the ingredients decided to go for came with a whole load of cottage cream and was rather tasty. So with a full stomach filled the bike for the last time today and headed for a campsite I seen on the map at the top of Stewart Cassiar Highway but as usual map reading not my forte so it was another 100km to go and as I said I was already tired and was planning on a reasonable early stop ho hum. However highway 37 totally different from the road I am been travelling on all day lot thinner with loads of blind corners and blind crests so had to wake up quickly and concentrate but the km’s flew by as the scenery had also changed and was quite eerie in places as there been a fire and the wood was all bare except for a weird moss growing between the trees very interesting and welcome change that I needed. Eventually got to the campsite and set up tent and its taken me nearly 2 hours to relax like I said was totally wired but relaxing slowly as there is not a sound to be heard except the odd squirrel and you guessed it them dam mosquitoes even though I covered my self in chemicals seem to work intermit ally but better than without the chemicals going to crawl into me tent and start a new book the picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Looking forward to both new book and me bed in me tent.

Johnson Crossing[/caption]

Boya Lake[/caption]

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #50
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Boya Lake to Hyder, Friday, 13 July 2012, Day 39

This is the road I did today no wonder I am tired![/caption]

To tired to update this today so here is a map on the route I did today quite a long way me think!

Well was not in the mood to update this yesterday I starting to suffer from fatigue generally feeling a bit knackered been going hard for nearly 40 days and it is starting to take it toil on me so need to start slowing down and smelling the roses before I knacker myself completely but knowing me I will do a sham of a rest day and then hit the road harder than before.

Well another good night in the tent and was lying thinking maybe I should get up while it is still dry as I had a feeling it would rain and before I was just about to unzip myself from my cosy sleeping bag it started raining but fortunately for a short while the downside of this when I opened my inner tent I found that my outer tent was whipped with Mosquitoes who where sheltering from the rain millions of the buggers so made a dah to the loo and it was exactly the same there the bog was also filled with mosquitoes so trying to do my morning ablutions while fighting of millions of mosquitoes arrrrrrrrrh!* No showers as this was a provincial campsite why they do not have shower facilities is beyond me as there is plenty of water and would be happy with a cold one. Went back to the tent and the mosquitoes had got into the inner tent part as well bugger a very depressing decamp which was a shame as the campsite and the location was great. Hit the road expecting a breakfast place soon but it was 150KM to the nearest civilisation that had fuel and a café and on these roads about 2 hours but as I said the roads very narrow but scenery gorgeous compared with yesterday felt more intimate than the roads yesterday as the mountains seem closer and as I whizzed past a couple bear on separate occasion felt I could reach out and touch them. Imagined giving them a high five as I went by which is a bit silly as would break my hand at the speeds I was doing and I am not sure you bears do high fives! Really in the groove finally reached some kind of civilisation at 1ish queue for the petrol and after I filled up got chatting to two police officers about all things motorcycles and not sure if they where interrogating me or just chatting with a loaded question been thrown in every now again such as the state of my tyres when where they replaced etc. Good thing one of them was looking at my GPS holder and as he touched it the whole front screen moved. Seemingly the nuts holding this had worked loose and the reason I had not noticed was with the weight of the GPS on it seemed solid so his fiddling helped me out. So I first had some breakfast / lunch spaghetti and meatballs and then out with the toolkit and the Loctite for some maintenance. May have over tightened the bolts as I noticed a crack in the screen by two bolt wholes bugger not sure this bike is going to be worth much by the time I get home (1 careful owner only ever went to the shops and back on it do not mention that the shops where in Alaska!)

Alaska Yukon Highway[/caption]

Hit the road again was heading for Stewart next bit of civilisation on this road and it was more than 4 hours away so much for short day. Got to the Stewart crossroads at 8 after a great ride well into the zone another 70kms to Stewart where there was a nice hotel I knew or camping round the corner. Well quite an easy one actually joined by a Belgium couple in a van who I had passed about 3 times today who stopped for a chat in Dutch and while chatting got to talking about flies and mosquitoes which where again about in abundance I decide to press on into Stewart. (plus I was sure that all the mosquitoes I had packed this morning where probably not dead yet and will be mighty pissed off when I open the tent bag again so let them stew for a couple more days me thinks)No room the Inn so tried another one but to expensive but the receptionist mentioned a place Hyder called the Sealaska Inn and even called them for me to see if they had an affordable room wow that what I call service.

So headed over the border again to Alaska and had a very simple room single bed a light and plug all for 40 bucks shared bog and shower why are there not more places like this as this is all I need at the end of the day do not all that hotel type stuff. By the time I had a shower as I was a bit pongy as I had not had one today it was gone 9 and it turned out that in the of the map cool place no food is to be had after 8 so going to bed a hungry as could not be bothered to drive back to Stewart which would mean crossing a border to get dinner. Went for a walk and had a chat with a drunk who was a councillor member in Stewart as well a lollipop man on the roads (man with the stop go sign) entertaining than back to the room to veg.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #51
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hyder to Smithers, Saturday, 14 July 2012, Day 40

Wet day[/caption]

Dry, Wet, Dry Wet, sort of dry nope-wet etc. That how it went today slept in till 10 today not sure I am sort of sleep but I am still feeling fatigued. Packed the bike and headed up a dirt road to a bear-viewing place I had been to the last time I was here place was heaving last time I was there and I did see a bear however this time I was the only one there and they had not seen a bear yet this year so did not hang around to long and headed back to Stewart for breakfast in a nice bakery I knew from last time. And then it started to pore with rain was only a couple of miles from breakfast so I decided to keep going and not bother with me waterproofs however this decision did not take into consideration a 10 minute wait at some road works and an interrogation at the border getting back into Canada so I was soaking by the time I got to the café. It had not changed so had great little breakfast and dry out then eventually decide to hit the road it was not raining so hard as I hit the road bit for the rest of the day it was either poring with rain so got soak to the skin and then dry out again only to get went all over again 30 minutes later so as I said at the beginning.

Meziadin Junction[/caption]

Totem poles[/caption]

New Hazelton[/caption]

Dry, Wet, Dry Wet, sort of dry nope-wet etc. Done this route before and it was wet then to so was not very appreciative then and or now just trying to eat as many km’s* as possible but ran out of steam at the first petrol stop after doing 360km it was 5 and I had no energy to go any further and I had spotted a Tim Horton’s so after fuelling up the bike went to the info center* asking about cheap accommodation this time the lad none to bright normally the folks in these places are on the ball but this lad knew nothing about the town and pointed me to the brochures not what I wanted however another young lady there stepped and I find myself in a Guest House bit more than my usual but cheapest in town and its very nice need to look after myself as I such a tired little bear so a little posh every now again is just what the doctor order went to Safeway to buy my microwave dinner (save money this way) and I have been playing with the computer all night seemingly looks like drop box has deleted all my old pictures which I was storing there as a back up as I reached my limit or something so I am moving everything to Amazon Cloud instead this will take a while not sure about Drop Box anymore or maybe the stuff is out there but I cannot find it which is not much help. So folks who have got access to drop box can you tell me what you can see if looks like all the early stuff had gone and all you see is the latest? Beddy byes I cannot think straight anymore
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #52
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Smithers to Prince George, Sunday, 15 July 2012, Day 41

Parking tonight in a hot tub showroom[/caption]

Hot day was 25 degree centigrade all day so completely different from yesterday. Decided to take it a bit easier so only did 380km today.

Two of my favourite things[/caption]

The Hills are alive with![/caption]

Dandelions![/caption]

Done this run before very pleasant country side and on the way saw a sign for car show so followed it and ended up by a small classic car show next to a lake which was pleasant had a wander and then made tracks to Prince George to a Hostel I had found in one of the many brochures I had been given by those helpful folks in the info centres.

Bear Lake Classic Car[/caption]

Arrived at about 5 ish checked and my bike is parked in a hot tub show room so got a better place than I have. A biker runs the place so bikers are well looked after here. Went for a walk to the Supermarket the place is dead as we are right in the center of town and it’s a Sunday and gorgeous weather so everybody has headed to the lakes or out of town. Brought a memory stick to make a copy of all my photos as I think drop box has deleted all the old ones and I only keeping the new ones as I went over my limit but no warning given bit pissed off with this so I am moving stuff to amazon cloud but this takes time as I have more than 8GB of photos so far so the stick is a temporary fall back option till I get everything on a cloud would be bugger if I lost all my photos. Not sure if I will keep up Drop Box as once you have to start paying its not that cheap and I will look to see if I can share my stuff on Amazon Cloud once I get it on there. Anyone know if this possible? While we a talking geeky stuff was going to move my web site to blogger but was having problems loading picture which had to be done via Picasa and there limits on how many pictures you can load and then I read that Google was going to shut down both blogger and Picasa and move it as part of the Google plus package so no idea what is happening there so its back to drawing board there. Not much to report today but I needed a shorter day in the saddle and plan another one tomorrow to Jasper may have a rest up then

Strange Flowerpots[/caption]
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #53
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Prince George to Jasper, Monday, 16 July 2012, Day 42

On the road to Jasper[/caption]

Forgot to mention yesterday an encounter I had with a brown bear was zooming down the road came round a corner in the middle of the road was a brown bear was doing some speed and he seem reluctant to move now when this normally happens with the smaller animals you just brace yourself and hope they get out of the way and if not there will be a bit of squish and a small bump no problem so far no bump with the larger animals they normally have a bit of panic but eventually move however with this fella he seem reluctant to move and I was bearing down on him fast (get the pun) mmm what to do luckily he decided to move and I whizzed pass but scary and exciting at the same time.

Now on today pulled the bike out of the hot tub showroom seemed reluctant to leave cannot blame her as she is in serious need of some TLC already 19,000km on the clock and never had a proper service yet need to think about new tyres, new brake pads and a bloody good service waiting till I hit the US for some reason I think it may be cheaper there. It was a hot day but unfortunately there was what I thought was a heat haze but I found out later that they’re where some huge fires in Siberia and this was the result so even if the scenery was gorgeous I was unable to see much of it. Luckily it cleared up when hit Alberta and drove into Jasper National Park.

Mount Robson[/caption]

I had checked at McBride to see if there any place at the Hostel there no but decided to try anyhow and hey guess what there was room there had been a cancelation so quick drive back to town as it about 7km out of town in the mountains to stock up for some provisions for dinner and then spent the rest of the evening trying to get pictures loaded on Amazon Cloud and failing miserably giving up on technology and just found there is a max of 5GB only on Amazon Cloud for Dutch users why is beyond me so again reviewing the situation.

The clocks had gone back an hour and this a real hostel and the lights went out at 11 which was 10 for me so an enforced early night in a room with 42 other people which is a new record for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #54
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jasper, Tuesday, 17 July 2012, Day 43

Jasper[/caption]

Been whining about tired a lot so decided to have a rest day in Jasper well that was the plan did have a bit of kip as much as you can with 42 other people getting up at various times. The plan was to go for walk up Whistler Mountain which was 7.5km what they failed to mention all up hill and you guessed it loads of flies made it the top of the cable car in about 2 ¾ hours hot and sweaty.

Jasper[/caption]

It was another 1.5 km to the top which I did at a very leisurely pace as I was knackered but made and the view were spectacular could see storms further down the valley was just happy to soak up all the scenery breath taking very happy bunny glad I had done the walk even though was mosquito and fly food most of the way.

Jasper[/caption]

Decided to get the cable car down as could not face the mossies’ and they do not check for tickets on the way down so saved a few bucks on this. Got back to the hostel at about 5 and had a little lie down as I was a little bit tired!

Canada Rocks[/caption]

I then has a shower and got on the bike into Jasper for me supper KFC or PCF for the French among you felt I deserved some grease after all the energy I had expended today also went for a wander and sat on a bench and watched the world go buy less flies and mosquitoes here which was a relief. Also went for a bit of a spin on what was supposed to be a bike free day but it was a lovely evening and there was a couple of lakes I had seen from the top of the mountain that looked worth a visit and when you on the bike moving the flies and mosquitoes are less of a bother. Back to the hostel and updating this will be glad tonight for the 11 o clock lights out tomorrow the Parkway and staying in Lake Louise tomorrow night weather my be a bit stormy in the morning but sunshine later in the day. So that’s a rest day and I am tired than yesterday but a happy tired :-)

Lake Patricia for me Mum[/caption]
Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #55
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Thanks for posting this wonderful story. I peeked at your blog but decided to continue with this source as long as you have the energy to continue the story here. I agree with your conclusions about Tim Hortons being a source of comfort on the road because they are familiar and predictable. I think that is a human need at certain times, meals and rest periods.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #56
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jasper to Lake Louise, Wednesday, 18 July 2012, Day 44

Looks like a bear to me[/caption]

Had been a storm during the night and some rain was expected today packed my bike very quickly as the mosquitoes where already out in droves and hit the road to Lake Louise. Done this road 4 years ago so very familiar very pleasant but very familiar so maybe there is a lesson to be learnt should not go back to familiar place that I liked in the place may not live up to my expectations or may have to high an expectations. Nice enough drive stopping of and taking pictures at the same places I had done in 2008.

Jasper National Park[/caption]

I had big plans to go out on the Glacier tour when I reached the Ice Parkway but when I got there crawling with tourists and the queue was enormous and did not fancy mingling with all the tourist not a big fan of mass tourism and I guess I been spoilt the last couple of weeks been in the far north where very few tourist actually make it up there. I am going to have to get used to mass tourism, as I will be entering the mass tourism capital of the world the good old US of A so have to get used to be amongst people again. Took most of the day to do the 230km from Jasper to Lake Louise as I was in no particular hurry and I was soaking in the views and latter in the day it was me who was soaking as it was raining had been just been keeping clear all day but it got me very briefly at the end I could see up the road and behind and it tried a few times where I nearly succumbed to stopping and getting the waterproofs out finally had to but luckily was only a brief shower.

Jasper National Park[/caption]

Buggered my leg walking to a scenic lookout point cramped up solid in left calf did this a couple of weeks ago first time I was in Whitehorse so will be limping for a couple of days again not sure what it but when I am knackered my leg has a habit of stiffening up or cramping up quite a good system only I end walking like a prick for a couple days. Got to the Hostel at Lake Louise but its about 5 km away from the lake so not sure old stiff leg is up to that today so went for a shorter walk to the local supermarket to get some food for my dinner they had very little so my feast for this evening is Heinz bake beans and pita bread. Living like a king me.

Spent a pleasant evening listening to 3 First Nation Elders talking about their relationship with the Banff national Park round a campfire. This was a session organised by the hostel and very interesting it was to except for some young German prick asking irrelevant or not appropriate questions which spoilt the flow a bit other than that a very civilised and pleasant way to spend an evening and dare I say it the mosquitoes situation does not seem as bad as it was in Jasper. Last night I was talking to a very attractive German girl at a camp fire and I could only last about 10 minutes before been driven inside by mosquitoes so to sit outside for more than 2 hours is very pleasant I was crawling up the walls after 5 minutes yesterday so those extra 5 minutes took some serious will power. I hate mosquitoes!!!! Hopefully the will be less and less here hoping.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #57
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lake Louise to Chase, Thursday, 19 July 2012, Day 45

Lake Louise[/caption]

Hot hot hot it was up to 33 degrees centigrade and around the 30 mark all day so hot a sweaty day however the route I did was gorgeous but did not stop very much for photographs as every time I did I started to bake so best plan of action was to keep on moving so that what I did. First thing I did was head down to the Lake to do the mandatory photo of the lake, me and all of the rest of the tourists it was so bad that people where actually queuing up to get a shot.

Lake Louise[/caption]

Yuk not my scene at all so headed up to another lake nearby and it was the same story there. Both of the lakes where absolutely gorgeous, but in my view there where far to many tourists for my taste.

Moraine Lake[/caption]

I had plan on how to get Vancouver and had made my decision on where the 1st nearest Tim Horton’s was how sad is that even went on the internet to locate this info (actually it was a lady in Parks Canada who said this route may be nicer more parks to go through not the lure of cinnamon rolls honest Indian) Long day in the saddle through some lovely scenery at one stage it was like driving along Lake Como in Italy only nicer National park after National park absolutely brilliant.

Not Staying Here![/caption]

Later scenery turned to rolling hill and farmland as I headed to Vernon where I heard there was a bike motorcycle rally on called Sturgis of the North. I seen pictures of the original Sturgis which is a small town with streets lined with motorcycle well this was not like this it was out of town and you had to buy tickets for it so decided not my scene loads of fat old men with ill fitting leathers on Harleys (I just described myself except for the Harley part!) headed for a hostel I read about the night before where you sleep in old worker railway carriages and an excellent decision that was as I am still here the following day. Real cool place next to a river there are 4 old railway carriage that used to be used as sleeping quarters by the workers on the railroads and old fashion general store very eclectic place that I am staying another night after a great night sleep. Big boy toys playing at railways drivers Chu Chu I love it!

I am staying here my latest digs :-)[/caption]

Fun evening met a mad (her words not mine) French girl Matilda who wanted to do an interview of me why I have no idea but spent a fun evening with me being filmed and interviewed I shall try and share this on the net if I can so you can all have a laugh at my expense. And to top it all spent all night outside very few mosquitoes here and a gorgeous sunset what more can you ask for very pleasant day.

Nice Sunset![/caption]
Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #58
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interviews!

Interviews off me with Mathilda Zeishen famous french Camera lady can be viewed on youtube unfortunately not yet edited!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry1jS...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddssw...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMboY...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fxK...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSRI...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAjR...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #59
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Chase, Friday, 20 July 2012, Day 46

Powwow[/caption]

Well had a sort of a rest day decided that I really liked this place as it had a really good vibe about it. Had signed up for a pancake breakfast, which was at 8 am but worth fresh fruit pancakes with lashings of maple syrup and loads of coffee so an excellent start to the day. Just lazed around the communal area chatting with anyone who around checked the videos that Malthilda and tried to load them to my Website but I think that this killed it so have been working on getting this rectified for a couple of days now but think I am back in Business not sure how I am going to share the videos of my interview as they are quite cool will get back to you on that. Eventually I decided needed to do something can only hang around for so long so went for a ride to Salmon Arm which was about 40km away so even on a rest day end up doing about 100km! On the way there saw a sign for a Motorcycle Museum so I had to stop there. Great little place the guy was showing about 60 odd bikes he had restored no real them different ages and types with a whole load more ready to be done and he also had theatre showing the Isle of Man race so you can imagine I hung around here for a while.

Motorcycle Museum[/caption]

Finally tore my self away from this great little place deciding I want a set up like that when I grow up :-) and headed to Salmon Arm. The weather had been dull and overcast all day and it started to blow a real gale and started to rain so got to Salmon Arm and took shelter at the Tim Horton’s there (No that was not the reason I went there just a happy coincidence) Did not look like easing of so headed back to the Hostel. It was pissing down and black as hell in the distance but was fortunate did not get to wet where I was. Spent the afternoon chewing the fat with Malthilda and two German girls who where working there pleasant afternoon.

Later went for short walk along the river where someone had hung a whole load of Barbie’s and other thing in the tree so was a bit of a discovery trail finding amusing thing hidden or hanging in trees. That even there was Powwow at the Indian Reservation round the corner so spent a great watching and listening to the Native Indians do there stuff excellent entertainment and to top it tried the local delicacy Indian Chilli which had there deep fried bread called bannock which was heel lekker.

Late night for a rest day was happy to be back in my caboose did not have it to myself this evening so had to keep my chew chew noises a bit quieter this evening. Great rest day even though the weather was crap needed it.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #60
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Chase to Whistler, Saturday, 21 July 2012, Day 47

I do like locomotives[/caption]

Woke up to glorious sunshine which latest all day had fruit pancakes again for breakfast and was still debating on weather to stay another day as I had lot of affection for this great little place but the lure of the open road was pulling me so packed me stuff slowly enjoying the Sun Malthilda was filming this as well. Curious as to what this looks like when she puts it all together been quite the celebrity while I have been here filmed interviews quite enjoyed the attention (British Understatement).

Revelstoke[/caption]

Heading was Whistler sun was shining and the roads where great so very happy.

Lillootoe[/caption]

Scenery was still mountain but instead of covered with trees it was grass, which had been in the Sun to long so not green but like those spaghetti westerns and later the trees came back and the mountains got more rugged as I reached Whistler.

Pemberton[/caption]

Gorgeous day got to the Hostel International about 4 total contrasts from where I had stayed in my train last night this was dead posh and a bit more expensive. Last night had spades loads more character this place was sterile and missed any vibe to perfect in my view but all in all pleasant place to stay just missed the charm of the trains, and the general store and the eclectic common area of the HI-Shuswap Lake (Chase) Squilax General Store. That Good I added a link http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanada/173/HIShuswap_Lake_Squilax_General_Store/index.hostel

Went to the local store to get some food for dinner Whistler is a ski resort very modern not much to say about it other than the mountains, which are great all year round, could be any other ski resort. Spent that evening trying to fix my Webpage and get FTP access to the site but failed miserably but managed the following morning to delete it all this later reload it all again so think I am up an running. Another late as was chatting to a nice Kiwi couple whilst working the PC issues.