Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #61
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Whistler to Vancouver, Sunday, 22 July 2012, Day 48

sea to sky highway[/caption]

Woke up looked out of my posh dorm window missing the smell of Diesel :-) and it was pissing down bugger. Tried to get on the internet to call a guy called Dave who offered me some help with servicing the bike and a possibility of a bed near Vancouver took a while but got on in the meeting room of the hostel on a different Wi-Fi connection was able to connect to my FTP and delete my web to try and fix the issues I was having and called Dave but unfortunately he was out for a ride. Will try and catch up with him in the coming days. I was in no hurry to leave in the road and as Whistler did not have Tim Horton’s had some breakfast at the Hostel not quite the same as their coffee taste like piss.* Finally hit the road and it was dry but it rained on and of all the 125km to Vancouver so wet then dry.

Raining Again![/caption]

Had a choice of 3 Hostels so tried the one in the center first as I was damp and I thought it would be better to be in town but they had no room so headed for the one just outside town +-6km they had a deal where you get a bicycle free for the day if you stay for 2 nights so that is the current plan on the page. Spent today fixing this blog and catching up on my washing, which is nearly done. Will try and find a supermarket for some food later and the plan for tomorrow is Vancouver all day on the bicycle hope the weather is better looking forward to it.

Nice walk along the beach to the Supermarket and back to the Hostel and its film night with free pop corn so for the first time in ages I watch the goggle box it’s a film called meet the Fockers and its pants. Two giggles max in a film is not that impressive for a comedy but luckily had low expectations and a packet of crisps to keep me happy.

Vancouver[/caption]

I thought I had a great spot in the hostel at the end of a large room in a sort of separate room with one bunk bed so pretty private but when I went to bed there was huge Red Exit Light as I was right next door to the Fire escape so spent the night on show like an Amsterdam hooker. But the red light made look very attractive and disguised all me wrinkles and scars :-)
dean10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #62
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Vancouver, Monday, 23 July 2012, Day 49

Vancouver Skyline[/caption]

Well I think today is the first day in 49 days that I did not ride my motorcycle however my source of transport today was still of the two-wheel variety but powered by chubby little legs. Spent all day cycling around Vancouver and had a blast despite it being miserable weather. It says something about a city if you can enjoy even when the weather is miserable it was dull and overcast all day and raining or drizzling but still enjoyed whizzing on my little bicycle. I think I cycled about 30km plus so I am going to feel it tomorrow but a great change of pace. This is the 2nd time I been in Vancouver and the weather was the same last time I was here but I really like Vancouver would like to live there for a while skiing every weekend at Whistler sounds pretty cool.

Vancouver[/caption]

Vancouver Art[/caption]

Again another first I have no idea where I am going tomorrow. I have been trying to organise a service and change of some consumables for bike and in the usual Philly fashion only got round to doing this yesterday and that was a Sunday and the shop I would like to do the work is also shut on Mondays so I have sent them an E-mail but its hardly surprising I heard nothing from them. I will try and contact them in the morning in the hopes that they can do something for me but the questions is when will they be able to fit me in as it quite a few things that I need doing so based on there response will trigger what I will do tomorrow.

Plan A Of course they can fit me and I will go straight to Seattle and be on my before you know it

Plan B more realistically depending on when they can fit me in Go to Vancouver Island

Plan C or go to Penticton or round that area no idea why but heard quite pleasant

Plan D or go to the US and hang around the Seattle Area

Plan E go Vancouver Island and get the boat from Port Hardy to Bella Coola this is an expensive option and a lot of km but quite fancy it wanted to do this run last time I was here so could move forward in the sequence.

So loads of options all dependent on one phone conversation seems weird, as thus far I have not had to take into consideration other external dependencies but guess I do not have much choice.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #63
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Vancouver to Penticton, Tuesday, 24 July 2012, Day 50

Hope[/caption]

Day started with a couple of Skype phone calls first to Aurora Motorcycles in Seattle which turned out very good as they where able to fit me this Thursday and will probably be able to do most of the work the question is do I need to anything with the valves not sure as this would be time consuming and potentially expenses not sure what is needed will discuss this with them tomorrow. So with a known time line for the service I could now make a decision on where to go in the interim. I decided it would be expensive to go to Victoria just for one night so decided to head for Penticton and stay the night there and then head to Seattle tomorrow.

Last Tim Hortons Breakfast or is it?[/caption]

Lovely ride again the weather was good and I recall doing this route 4 years ago in the other direction in the pissing rain so today I could actually see something and it was really nice. The roads where empty and wide and sweeping spent about 2 hours tailing an old fella on a Harley who was keeping a nice reasonably fast pace. With him leading I could use him as sign of any trouble or rough road and it was good that by using him as a pace maker a more relaxing ride for me as I habit of letting myself go and then getting into all sorts of trouble and overcooking it so following this bloke who was smooth fast and risk adverse it was a very pleasant ride he spotted the bear first and nearly squished Bambi and I had the best seat in the house. It was hot day so completely different from yesterday and arrived in Penticton at about 7 as I had a little stop at Fort Langley to squeeze the last value out of my Parks Canada Discovery Card.

Fort Langley[/caption]

Last night in Canada and the big America adventure is about to start. I must say I love Canada it is a gorgeous beautiful place and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here if the US is half good as this then I am in for an excellent time :-)
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #64
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Penticton to Seattle, Wednesday, 25 July 2012, Day 51

Washington Cascades[/caption]

Let this slide so playing catch up so may be a bit vague. Another hot and gorgeous day went for my last breakfast at Tim Horton’s a sad occasion and headed for the border. Crossing no problems again no check on the paperwork on the bike just me. Had a fight with the GPS as it kept resisting the route I wanted to go so in the end I ignored it and did a lovely run through the Washington Cascades.

Washington Cascades[/caption]

And I rolled into to Seattle at about 5.30. Headed straight to Aurora Suzuki where I had arranged a service for the bike.

Well Deserved TLC ![/caption]

I was running late so arranged to leave all my kit with them and only take a small bag to the hotel and come back on Friday where the bike will be as a good as new. Blokes at Aurora very friendly so hang around sorting my kit and chatting and they offered to give me a lift to the hostel where I was staying. So sorted out what was needed for the bike we decided a full service including valves was needed no new chain and sprockets and no new pads needed yet and I got to pick out a new set of tyres after a lot of humming and haring went with a set of Bridgestone TW same as I had before so stick with what you know I got 11.5k out the first set and only 10.4k for the second set. The front one could have been left on but the back one was finished so prudent to change both. Got to the Hostel, which was in a really cool neighbourhood Freemont and the local supermarket was all, organic so had a healthy meal for a change well. Went to the Gasworks Park to watch the sun go down and from here you had a spectacular view of Seattle so hung around and watched the sun go down and enjoyed the view and took loads of pictures that will not come out. Was just going to go to bed when I got chatting to an Italian guy called Simon who was riding up from Ushuaia and had done 32,000km and this all on a 50cc Beta. Wow I was impressed. He was just on his way out to the pub to meet two English blokes who had driven form London to Vladivostok and where waiting for there bikes to arrive from Korea and they where planning to driver also from Alaska to Ushuaia. (Need to change the title of my blog as I thought Ushuaia was in Chile turns out its in Argentina shows how much research I have done) Felt like a rank amateur compared to what these guys had done so headed out into town to find the English Bloke which we did and they where pissed as farts so not much of a dialog hung out for while and the decided to head home as it was quite late and I was not drinking (Ok now you picked yourselves of the floor I have a confession I have not had a drink since I left the Netherlands 51 days ago did fancy one tonight but decided to see how long I can go without as I do not need the additional expense of booze both economically and physically and to be honest have not missed it to much!

The guy’s websites for those of you are interested

http://toughmiles.com/

http://www.fuego2ice.com/blog/en

World Record Bike![/caption]

Seattle
Old 02-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #65
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seattle, Thursday, 26 July 2012, Day 52

Seattle Skyline with Mount Olympia in the distance[/caption]

A day without my bike, which is being pampered by the guys at Aurora Suzuki Seattle

http://www.aurora-suzuki.com/default.asp

So it is going to be a long walking day today. Got the free breakfast not quite Tim Horton’s but will do caught the bus into town as it quite a distance and just wondered all around Seattle which was nice as the sun was shining as well. Saw all the sights took loads of pictures and basically was a tourist for the day.

Seattle[/caption]

I even paid to go into one of the Tourist attractions which was called The Underground Tour supposed to be an amusing here is the blurp

BILL SPEIDEL'S UNDERGROUND TOUR
is a leisurely guided walking tour beneath Seattle’s sidewalks and streets. As you roam the subterranean passages that once were the main roadways and first-floor storefronts of old downtown Seattle, our guides regale you with the stories our pioneers didn’t want you to hear. It’s history with a twist!

It was bollocks not funny and walks through what could have been a building site so bit pissed off as it cost me 16 bucks. Could have been so much better as they had the location and the stories but looked like they where just milking tourists and I just got milked very disappointing. Walked back to the hostel via a sculpture park and cross a huge bridge with great views and got back at about 8.30 so had been walking all day and was knackered. Went to the organic supermarket for another healthy meal and tried to catch up with me blog but was to busy cooking and chatting to the English blokes from tough miles as they where sober this time giving them some info on the Alaska route and swapping stories. So did not get round to doing much on the PC this night either hence the epic catch up now.

Seattle Art[/caption]

Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #66
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seattle to Forks, Friday, 27 July 2012, Day 53

Bye bye Seattle[/caption]

Sitting here stuffing my face with raspberries in a farm kitchen called the HohHumm Ranch near Forks next to Olympia State Park. This morning got up and it was dull and overcast and had been raining so a bit cooler than yesterday had my free breakfast and caught the bus to Aurora Suzuki to pick my bike up. Hardly recognized it, as it was clean! Did not know I had black wheels I thought they where a muddy brown and a I could see bits I had not seen for months as they where caked in mud. Chatted with the guys and settled the bill ouch but very reasonable considering the amount of work been done and if I am going to keep doing these kind of mileages I am going to have to pay keep the bike in Tip Top conditions if I am going the make it to Ushuaia. Big cheer and thank you to Darrell and the boys at Aurora Suzuki Inc. Seattle not only for fitting me in so quickly but also for there customer service which was excellent Darrell was still polishing and cleaning the bike while I was there and insisted on doing it even though I said it was not necessary. So great job the bike has never looked better and I am now going to get it all dirty again. So was on the road at about 11 and headed in to town to get a ferry across to Olympic National Park and caught this with minutes to spare problem was I did not know which ferry I was on and where it would kick me out but no problem they all end up roughly in the same place.

Bye Bye Seattle[/caption]

Still dull and overcast so could not see the Mountains I hear they are very nice! At about 4 ish I ran out of steam so started to look for places to stay even checked out a campsite. In the end I stumbled on a B&B which was reasonably priced and that where I am in a ramshackle farm kitchen next to huge bowl of raspberries which I have been picking at all night so much that my keyboard is all sticky. Lovely view dogs cats and farm animals and hummingbirds and I think I all caught up with my blog as well so another excellent bit of luck landed me here.

Hohhumm Ranch[/caption]
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #67
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Forks to Seaside, Saturday, 28 July 2012, Day 54

Big bowl of Raspberries mmmm lekker[/caption]

Good thing about staying on farm is huge farm breakfast downside is that it is at 8am. Yorkshire puddings for breakfast well that is one way to get over my Tim Horton’s addiction. They have there Yorkshire pudding with Raspberry Jam on it so of course I had to try this delightful delicacy home made raspberry as well mmm. So stuffed myself for breakfast and was out on the road by 9.30 very early by standards. Plan today was to head for a town called Seaside for no other reason that I like the name and want to say I have been to Seaside and get corrected and have someone say I have been to the Seaside and I can tell nope I have been to Seaside (been on the road to long). It was a bit dull and overcast but another short day in the saddle only about 200 miles and when I got to seaside at about 3 the sun was out and I am now sitting outside typing this watching the sun go down. Uneventful day cannot remember anything special or worth mentioning here bike is running well after the service shame I cannot say the same about the rider he seems to running out of steam. Not sure why getting plenty of good nights sleep but I am feeling pretty beat up physically and mentally so need to have a think about how to address this option one is go bugger it and have a huge mileage day and completely knacker myself or do the opposite and keep doing short runs until I get my energy back not sure which solution I will take but just sitting here watching the sun going down tells me I am note done with this trip by a long shot just need to find away to keep my energy levels up most be missing the vitamins in all that beer I used to drink but have been compensated did you see that bowl of raspberries at the farmhouse last night :-)

My Sponsor :-)[/caption]

Did a bit of detour to see Washington largest lighthouse was looking all around to, as it should not be too difficult to miss it was tiny! Pissed myself laughing when I saw talk about a disappointment.

Largest Lighthouse in WA it was tiny :-)[/caption]
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #68
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seaside to Reedsport, Sunday, 29 July 2012, Day 55

Pacific Highway Nr 1[/caption]

Today’s theme was Lighthouses. Went from Lighthouse to Lighthouse along the Oregon Pacific Coast. Did about 200 miles long day as I was stopping a lot to walk around the parks the lighthouses all seem to be located in. Weather was dull and overcast in the morning but later the sun showed itself. All in all a very pleasant day whizzing down the coast and stopping any time I saw a sign for a lighthouse or something that interested me so very relaxing day.

Cape Meares[/caption]

I thought I found a replacement option Tim Horton’s for the US that being Safeway the supermarket do a cheap ham egg and cheese sandwich for 2 dollars and there is normally a Starbucks to get a coffee as well so a perfect solution problem is that you have to queue for the sarnie and an even larger separate queue for coffee.

All I want is a simple cup of coffee god they have made coffee consumption complex :-( *So not sure this is the solution. Scenery has changed instead of mountains and lakes I have cliffs and the Pacific Ocean instead of Bears and Moose I have whales and seals and loads of bird I do not even know the names of. So in short a nice run. At about 6 ish I was starting to flag so started to look for a cheap motel. I had seen loads during the day but as soon as I start looking there are none around so keep on rolling for another hour and half and was even going to default to the tent! When I saw the sign I had been looking for a cheap and cheerful motel and the Internet speed has also enabled me to upload the videos of the interview Mathilda did of me in Chase so you can see these at http://youtu.be/ry1jS_sXlQA

They are worth a giggle at my expense.

Just what I was looking for[/caption]

Been a bit low last couple of days but feeling much better today not sure why maybe it’s the change in pace or rhythm I do not know but I will take it must be all the lighthouses!

dean10 screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 07:19 PM
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #69
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Reedsport to Eureka, Monday, 30 July 2012, Day 56

get out of the way you are spoiling the view[/caption]

Oops let this slide again so playing catch up what happened to day of interest let me think. Bugger its really sad but I cannot remember much about today other than I have made it to California. Nice road along the coast saw some herds of elks another word for dear or maybe they are another species really should have listened more at school.

Chilling![/caption]

Oregon Pacific Coast

Ran out of steam in Crescent City but no real obvious places to stay so kept on rolling through the Redwood National Park which was full of huge trees very pleasant run and then started looking for something in Eureka. Saw I sign for a cheap motel and stopped to look but it was a real dive even I did not fancy staying there and my standards as we all know are not that high. There was another motel just round the corner, which looked at bit more habitable so went to ask them how much. But they where asking to much for my budget so I turned to walk out and the guy an Indian gentleman asked me how much I wanted to pay and we started haggling. Have not done that for ages and was certainly not expecting to do that in the US. In the end we did a deal and I had a room for the night. Interesting folk in these types of motels mainly people using them as full time accommodation and nearly all of them smokers trying to bum a cigarette of me. Dinner tonight-pure Americana I went to Denny’s. Have not been for years used to go there all the time for breakfast the first time I was in the US with my sister and that was about 20 years ago. Well it has not changed much to my delight spent all night trying to work out the menu and had a cheap and cheerful meal went for a bit of a wonder and then back and barricaded myself in my room. (I exaggerate for dramatic effect)

Big Trees[/caption]

New State therefore a new ways of doing things. I went to fill up my bike so up to now you either fill up or pay in places states provinces that they trust you and it is dead easy. In other places you have to walk in and give your credit card and walk out fill up and go back in pay. Bit of pain but I guess loads of folks do runners here and there registration system or a vehicle is probably not as efficient as ours (How that for smugness). Well today I had to say how much fuel I wanted and put this on the card. I did not know, as I have no idea as I just fill it to the brim each time and do not stop until sort of empty so I had to put 20 bucks on the card. Go and fill up and then go back in and get a credit on my card for the balance. I also wanted a drink, which I always do on the same transaction but no this would have to be another transactions what a pain. And to add insult to injury they have funny pumps here that shut of as soon you start to pump to stop overflowing and wasting gas fumes well this system does not work with a motorcycle that you want to fill to the brims so took me ages fiddling with this to get the bike full. Need to practice my technique and development some muscles in some weird places to get this to work for me. While I am bitching Sales Tax on hot food in California so my 1.99 breakfast cost me 2.14 today what that all about :-)

Eureka[/caption]

Old 02-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #70
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eureka to San Francisco, Tuesday, 31 July 2012, Day 57

The Paarsen Family[/caption]

Today I was racing as I actually had to be somewhere at a particular time. Pieter and Annemieke where in San Francisco and the plan were to meet them there. Did my usual Philly calculations on distances and reckoned I would be there at about 3. Well we all now how accurate and good my distance and timing in well true to form again. Hit the road highway 101 great 2 lane highways long sweeping bends through gorgeous scenery making excellent progress. Only fly in the ointments was a motorcycle crash some poor old fellow on a huge Goldwing and trailer seemingly his side stand had come down dug in and thrown him of the bike. He was on his knees and moving and the crash scene seemed well organised so did not get to involved and continued with my journey.

Bit a wakeup call on the vulnerability of motorcycle but as we motorcyclist do I had rationalised this and soon forgot and was hammering along just as before.* This reminded me of a time when I was racing and there was huge crash at Zandvoort and we were waiting for the track to be cleared so we could get out and race. Took a while as the trauma helicopter was called out as a guy was seriously injured. Well we waited and then the track was clear and what did we do we went racing. Next meeting we heard the poor chap had died we had a minute's silence and what did we do zipped up the leathers and went racing no one that I recall wanted to talk about the instance we just got on with doing what we love and that is motorcycling so that what I mean about a rationalising this you think about for a short while and then you get your head down and your lost in that wonderful world of motorcycling.

Pacific Highway Nr1[/caption]

Well it got better I turned on to Pacific highway number one the road narrowed and then started to twist and turn and this went on for the rest day. Slow 10 and 15 mph corners according to the signs sometimes they where about right others I may have been going a tad faster. So I really earned my money today beautiful scenery on the coast hanging on the edge and then inland all in all a top day for riding but unfortunately was racing against the clock to get to San Francisco to meet my Dutch friends. I had jokingly said to Pieter on Skype that I would find a McDonald's with free Wi-Fi and call them to tell where I was and where to meet but on this stretch of road no McDonald's in fact very little in the way for fuel and fast food chains very un-American in fact. Finally found a pay phone and rang Pieter with a new revised ETA and continued to enjoy this glorious ride.

Got to their Motel at about 7 so only 3 hours out on my original estimate! Hard driving all the way so knackered. First thing we did was jump in their van to see if we could catch the sun set but this being San Francisco the clouds had moved so not much of sun set and the wind was really blowing me and the Paarsen clan mucked around on the Golden Gate Bridge viewing area for a while and headed back to the motel for some supper.

Golden Gate Bridge[/caption]

Quite night just chatting it was 2 months since I have spoken any Dutch so that was a bit rusty but good to see some familiar people. Ended up setting up camp in their cupboard for the night good to be fed and looked after so well after a long hard day in the saddle could get used to this unfortunately they are heading North and I am heading South but it was great to see you guys veel lol met de rest van jullie vakantie en bedankt nogmaals voor jullie gastvrijheid

My Cupboard :-)[/caption]
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #71
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Francisco to Montara, Wednesday, 1 August 2012, Day 58

Lighthouse Accommodation[/caption]

Woke up in my cupboard to the sounds of Pieter singing the little drummer boy song by Bing Crosby/David Bowie and it has been in my head all day Cheers mate :-) Early start but I guess that what happens when you have a young family with you. I said Ta Ta to the Paarsen family it was good to see you and headed to the nearest Safeway/Starbucks for breakfast to figure the plan for today.

Pieter and Annemieke[/caption]

Going into San Francisco to see if I can find somewhere reasonable to stay but this plan fails miserably cannot found anywhere to park the bike without paying and the hostels are all full or expensive so plan B kicks in. Not really in a busy city mood at the moment so decide to the 49 miles scenic drive around town and head out to Monterey. Keen to get back on them twisty roads rather than fight downtown traffic. Loose the signs for the 49 miles scenic drive after taking about 20 minutes to get on it and lost after about 30 minutes so as I am on the far side of San Francisco I now punch in Monterey on my GPS and head back to Pacific Highway Number 1.

Alcatraz[/caption]

I am in a bit of funny mood my guts are rotten and I think I am well knackered after yesterday hard physical ride so when I see a sign for a hostel 30 mile outside of San Francisco and I pull over to take a look at it and it is this gorgeous lighthouse keeper house turned into a hostel. Its only 2 pm but I decide I like this place and I want to stay here so onto plan C. They have a place yay but cannot check in until 3.30 so go for s ride to the nearest supermarket get some vitals for the evening and I am back and checked in by 4. The weather is still overcast and not so warm but hang around the lighthouse where they have their own little beach and great views which will be even better if the clouds ever lift. It is 10 pm and I have just been chilling around this place for the last 6 hours good call to stop needed this little break.

Lighthouse home for tonight[/caption]

Tomorrow*Hearst castle been there twice before but I find the place fascinating so will be making it a hat trick.

A couple of days ago in Oregon there was another lighthouse which had a gorgeous B&B in the old Lighthouse keeper house room that started from 250 USD per night. Seemingly there was a 7-course breakfast with full guide and history tour of the food and the lighthouse. I really wanted to stay there but well beyond my budget and then a couple of days later same set up only a hostel for 26 USD and I will go to Safeway’s for breakfast down the road how cool is that :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #72
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Montara to Cambria, Thursday, 2 August 2012, Day 59

The Corkscrew at Laguna Sega[/caption]

Needed a short break and an early night and was ready to hit the road again this time to Cambria as I managed to book a hostel there tonight and it is near Hearst Castle my main destination today. Well that was the plan but got to Hearst Castle to late and it was closed fortunately only staying 10 miles down the road so will pop by tomorrow morning before heading to LA. So again my planning on mileage letting me down but I do have an excuse as I was driving to Monterey I remembered Laguna Sega race track was near so did a little detour there on my way and was at a race track I can hang around for ages so this is the reason I did not get to Hearst Castle before it shut and that and all the other stops I did along the way as even though the weather was crap and I was driving through clouds and mist most of the day still a lovely ride with lots of distractions and wildlife to see.

Laguna Seca

Today I saw a sea otter (I had no idea that you get otters at the sea I thought they were freshwater and must be bloody difficult building dams in the pacific) seals, pelicans, elephant seals to name some of the animals I saw to-day so excellent day on the wildlife front.

Saw the famous corkscrew took loads of pictures (for the racing geeks amongst you will understand my fondness to this holy place) basically a good day if not a bit chilly finally made it to the hostel at 7.30 so a reasonably long day as well. Skype Richard Kooyenga who has offered me a couch in LA, saw him a couple of years ago at a school reunion and it's probably 30 years ago at school the time before that so a lot catching up to do and he also mentioned that Russell Fearon another school mate is around as well and I have not seen him since I was about 16 so that should be a laugh catching up with those two.

I saw a sign for the 17-mile drive near Monterey and recall it was supposed to be quite scenic so turned of into it. Came round the corner and found out it was a toll route so I thought it may be part of the National Parks of US for which I have a ticket for as no way am I paying 9.75 to get in. Nope my pass is not valid and by the way motorcyclist are not allowed in. That pissed me of made me want to pay the 9.75 and go in anyhow. Been ages since I have seen any anti motorcyclist sentiment and reminded me of when I first moved back to the UK and they where always refusing to serve anyone wearing leather jacket in the pubs. Last no motorcyclist area that I was in was Quebec but I just ignored those signs but this time there was rent a cop and barriers so no entry for Philly and his motorbike today. Plotting a big demo turning up with 100 of bikes and blocking the entrance and demanding to be allowed in and equal rights for motorcyclist, motorcyclist are human, motorcyclist have feelings to etc. Rebellionistic feelings soon disappeared, as the road got more interesting as I entered Carmel valley where last time I got a ticket for parking on the wrong side of the street facing the wrong direction! Something about that this part of the world and me that are slightly at odds with each other.

Carmel Valley[/caption]

Big Sur[/caption]

Tomorrow will attempt to get to Hearst Castle and then to LA looking forward to it.

Hearst Castle[/caption]

Elephant Seals[/caption]

Must be love![/caption]

Mather from Cars[/caption]

Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #73
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cambria to Brea (Los Angeles), Friday, 3 August 2012, Day 60

Hearst Castle[/caption]

Well made it to Hearst Castle and as expected thoroughly enjoyed spent all morning there, did the Upstairs Suites Tour as I had been here twice before so thought I try another part of the castle this time.

Hearst Castle[/caption]

I love this place the pure decadence of the place is amazing and obscene at the same time. Managed to get away at 2 and started making my way to Richards in LA. GPS reckoned I would get there at 6.30 so I thought at a leisurely pace should be there by 8.30 with a stop for lunch and any shiny objects I saw along the way. Turned out slightly different as I did not calculate on LA Friday night rush hour traffic. Bloody hell after driving round empty roads for nigh on 2 months this is a complete mind f**k trying to following the GPS which is telling me I need to be left lane of 8 lanes and I am in right lane of 8 lanes and traffic all around me total grid lock. You are allowed to filter in the state of California but with all my luggage on the back I have a huge arse on the bike so this is quite difficult so not getting anyway fast. The trick I find is to ride aggressively and just hammer it like the locals do and that seem to work but needs a lot of confidence and the road surface also crap lots of banding so fighting that as well.

Get to Richards at 8.30 right on schedule except the schedule completely different from the plan. Time to fall of the wagon after that experience and Richard had a cold beer waiting for me will be the first of many as I have been dry for 60 days so lots of catching up to do. Cold Beer mmmm lekker! We headed straight out to a Chinese for dinner and then hit a few more bars before crashing on the Richard sofa at about 2.30 ish knackered slightly pissed and happy good night of catch up with Richard the perfect host Mi casa est tu casa :-)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #74
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Brea (Los Angeles), Saturday, 4 August 2012, Day 61

reunion with Richard Kooyenga and Russell Fearon[/caption]

First sleep in for ages I think we surfaced at about 12 ish and first order of business brunch. Kimmi’s for quesadillas and then back to hang around the swimming pool. Yes he has a pool as well guess who is moving in! At about 3 we headed to Century City as Richard had tickets for Who Shot Rock & Roll a photo exhibition with free concert with Raphael Saadiq and a Band of Skulls never heard of either but allegedly for those in the know a cool and fashionable line up.

http://www.kcrw.com/events/who-shot-rock-roll

Lots of queuing but a good night as Richard blagged us into the VIP lounge and spent the evening chatting to girls who worked in “the industry” that what they call it there for me this has a whole other meaning!

John and Oko lovechild![/caption]

VIP[/caption]

Peeing in Bev Hills[/caption]

So good evening hanging with LA trendies then of to Pasadena to a block party hosted by an other school mate who I have not seen in 30 years Russell Fearon so a mini school reunion. Did not get there till about 11 so Russell already well pissed as it started at about 6 so conversation bit limited but good to see him after all these years. Spent the rest of the evening chilling out on the street outside Russell’s house. Ended up last orders at in and out Burgers for last call at 1.30 as we had not got round to eating that evening cold burger Yuk and back to Richards. Excellent day only fly in the ointment was that we got a parking ticket in Beverly Hills like they need the cash!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #75
dean10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Brea (Los Angeles), Sunday, 5 August 2012, Day 62

LA Mural cool[/caption]

Wow another kip in got the place to myself as Richard has gone to take his son for swimming lessons so I am just hanging round the flat doing some work on the PC and uploading and downloading photos not realising that I had used all of Richards bandwidth allowance for the full month in one morning oops sorry mate presumed it was unlimited. Richard got back at 2 so we decided to hit LA downtown first the market for some Mexican tacos for lunch and then wandering all over LA downtown just being a tourist. Been to LA a couple of time but never stayed or went near the downtown always hung out in Santa Monica Hollywood etc. which I think most people do which is a shame as downtown LA is a great place as well and spent a great afternoon is some weird and fascinating bars and wondering around.

Downtown LA[/caption]

That evening went to free open-air concert in Pasadena to see a famous saxophonist called Ernie Watts you guessed I never heard of him but cool venue and pleasant way to spend a Sunday evening. Then we hit another bar so you could say I have official fallen of the wagon but the company is excellent. Another late night as we pulled out the maps when we got back to Richard trying to figure out where I am going next still not sure other than

Downtown LA[/caption]

Las Vegas Baby :-)