Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #61
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 243
Anyone been to an Asian country? Hell, they manage to fit a family of 4 on a Honda 125.
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #62
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Who's job it is to protect the child and raise the child as THEY feel fit.

For the time being. But as individuals such as the OP is allowed to make mistakes in judgment which harm young individuals, the rest of society will step in and protect the child from the person who was originally tasked with the charge.

If OP is not trolling, then his hypothetical child would be best served if the folks around him kept an eye out.
Human Ills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #63
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
For the time being. But as individuals such as the OP is allowed to make mistakes in judgment which harm young individuals, the rest of society will step in and protect the child from the person who was originally tasked with the charge.

If OP is not trolling, then his hypothetical child would be best served if the folks around him kept an eye out.

Usually I tend to agree with you man but I think that you are way off here. We aren't talking about someone wanting to stuff fast food down their kids throat or go driving around with their kids in the car while they are texting. We aren't discussing duct taping a baby to a rocket and lighting the fuse. We are talking about a father wanting to take his kid for a short ride on an MC. Do-gooders in society have already taken us to brink of ruin with this type of stuff. Hell, you can't even spank your brat without some twat wanting to call the cops on you.

My dad certainly wasn't abusive or negligent when he took me for rides as a toddler. I wasn't abusive or negligent when I did it with my daughter. The OP wouldn't be negligent either He would just be a good dad who loves his kid and wants to take them with him on his bike. Society needs more people like him and lees of the type that would try and take parenting away from the parent or control the "safety" of others.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #64
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
For the time being. But as individuals such as the OP is allowed to make mistakes in judgment which harm young individuals, the rest of society will step in and protect the child from the person who was originally tasked with the charge. .

This is just wrong. You are charging him with a *thought crime*.

How did the OP "harm" anyone? This is the problem with this so called "land of the free"

We are a republic and the fucking do-gooders treat our country as if we were a democracy.

Taking a child for a ride on a motorcycle does not in any way equate to child abuse. There is NO inherent imminent harm being done to the child.

The state should only step in to protect a child (or anyone) from imminent harm. Outside of that the state needs to keep their fucking laws off our bodies.

"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #65
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,631
I was on a bike with my Dad at 2.5yrs and haven't been able to shake the addiction since. Things were different then back in the early 80's traffic/ population wise. I have two sons myself and have had them on my bike at around 4yrs each. We've crashed in the dirt numerous times. We make sure they are in protective gear in whatever they do like skiing and wakeboarding.

Good luck!!
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #66
150ron OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:

How am i Trolling?? i was just asking a question, and as i said before, just wanted to know what others think about it, seems that some want to give me a life sentence for THINKING about it

Im not thinking of doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIwp...feature=g-hist

Just a ride around the garage at about 5mph, with helmets and everything, some of you guys really do need to get your balls back, reminds me of the story that was in the news a few months back, how a boy was suspended from school for having the american flag on his bike, and how the principal said that ''might be offensive to other students who are from different countries'',

best way i can sum it up is. SHITS WEAK!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #67
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Holy sh...

It´s sick,but it looks like the little girl can drive and have fun !?! One comment: "dad of the year"...

MJ

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #68
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post

That kid can out ride many of the members here!! She seems to be doing a great job and it's good to see her father having such a great time with his kid. Imagine how much bike control she will have when she can reach the pegs!!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #69
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Give the little bugger a snort of Brandy.. When he falls asleep stuff him in a backpack strap it on your back and go run your errand. That way nobody with see him.

You're welcome.
Dakez.....you maniac....
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #70
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer: 110
Here is how I transport my little one:

But seriously, you came on a public forum asking "whether it is possible" to take your kid on your bike and then asking the inmates for their opinions. Then you get defensive once people give them to you. What do you expect? The reason we have nanny laws is because people don't understand the difference between possible and practical.

Understand that my advice comes from the perspective that I don't care what happens to your kids. I would probably never even know it happened. I would be interested to hear how it went. I admit that I have thought about riding with my kids, but it took me 3 seconds to realize it is a dumb move. Now I do plenty of dumb things every day, some on purpose, but not when it comes to my kid's future. Both my kids (2 and 4) are certified "free range." The dumb decisions they learn from are their own. Don't impose your adult-grade dumb decisions on them.

The only way the risk-reward calculation can result in a positive outcome is either you are the safest motorcyclist in the world or you don't like your kids very much or both. Sincerely, good luck!

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #71
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Anyone been to an Asian country? Hell, they manage to fit a family of 4 on a Honda 125.
I have talked to the Indian, Chinese and Thai people I work with about this. Even they think it is a dumb move.

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #72
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,035
Put 'em in the top-box, just make sure you drill air holes or it would be cruel.

As I lived in Asia for a while, I'll weigh in on the "4 people on a scooter" comments. They only do that because it's their only means of transport. The second they could afford a car they'd be off the bike faster than you can say "boiled rice".

I have a 3 year old and she's nowhere near ready to ride on my bike (she's still getting the hang of her tricycle). In an emergency it's possible I'd put her between me and the tank, but it would have to be the apocalypse with no taxis available. Then again we do breed 'em tough so who knows?

To each his own, but legality aside, there's no way I would consider taking an 18 month-old for a spin. Just how would you keep them on the bike?

We have discussed getting quads for gentle trail riding and securing the kiddie is the sticking point at the moment.

What was that Nicholas Cage movie where he had the baby carrier strapped to the front forks? Desert something? :)

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 08:55 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #73
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

What was that Nicholas Cage movie where he had the baby carrier strapped to the front forks? Desert something? :)
Awesome pic!! What a cute kid.

The movie was Raising Arizona.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #74
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post

To each his own, but legality aside, there's no way I would consider taking an 18 month-old for a spin. :)

But you let her hold a battery that might explode. http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-...exploded-9708/
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #75
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Awesome pic!! What a cute kid.

The movie was Raising Arizona.
Thanks, That's the one. Problem solved!

Oh, and DAKEZ, FFS, it's an empty display model.

If I had a 3 year old that could lift an effing car battery, I'd already have her in the Guinness Book of Records (or pulling a plow, whichever was the most lucrative )

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:52 PM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote