Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #46
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Vermont DMV cashed my check today so I guess my plates are on the way.

Got the plate today!!!

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 05:03 PM
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
Well damn! After messing around for the last week or so trying to get this beast started again I finally had success. What a good feeling. Couldn't figure out what had gone wrong, all I'd done was remove the fuel tank and adjust the valves. Well apparently I tightened the intake valve too tight and it got stuck. Borrowed a compression gauge from Auto Zone to check that but the adapter wouldn't fit but while I was messing with that I loosened the adjustment on the intake valve. Put the plug back in and bam, ignition. Still can't check the compression. Took back the loaner gauge and bought one with 4 different fittings, none of them fit. Oh well, it'll work on the other bikes so I'll keep it.
Now I can get back to changing the coolant and put this back together. Hopefully my plate will come in the next few days.
Ain't this fun?
Told you so! Glad to hear it's running! I believe I made a video documenting this very (common) mistake that even I made the first time I adjusted my valves. My engine was running fine, but as soon as you let off the throttle it would stall once the engine came down to idle speed. I spent COUNTLESS hours chasing carb issues that were not there, and even explored ignition problems, to no avail.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #48
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
Told you so! Glad to hear it's running! I believe I made a video documenting this very (common) mistake that even I made the first time I adjusted my valves. My engine was running fine, but as soon as you let off the throttle it would stall once the engine came down to idle speed. I spent COUNTLESS hours chasing carb issues that were not there, and even explored ignition problems, to no avail.
Yep. I went back and adjusted them a couple of times after your suggestion and still wouldn't start. Didn't realize I just needed to leave it loose and then try starting which worked fine. Thanks for the help. Ready to start reassembly soon, not going to mess with it much until I get to ride it for awhile.

Tom Waits
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #49
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 475
Absolutely right. If it runs, even sort of OK, and the tires are good and the oil is topped up in the engine and in the final drive, then ride it. Running fresh gas through it always helps, and 50 or 100 road miles will tell you a lot about how it runs, it's little weirdnesses and tricks, etc. At first you're trying to feel everything, but as you relax you will get to know it well. And you'll start to understand why some of us are so convinced the Honda scooters are very special.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #50
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wish I had something to compare it with. Never ridden a scooter so don't really know what to expect for acceleration, braking, etc. Sort of like when I bought the DR. I always questioned if it was was running rough or if that was just the nature of the beast. I've come to know that bike better over time so I guess the same will happen with the scoot.

Tom Waits
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #51
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Put a new battery in this morning hoping that would take care of my nonflashing signals, no dice. The manual doesn't show where the relay is. Is it one of these ...?

A new flasher from Honda is over $30 so I want to see if I can find one that fits and costs less. Other than that it's running nicely. I think it might be C next to the fuse box but I'm not sure.

Never mind, it was B, the thing attached to the signal wires.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 12:34 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #52
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
hmmmmmm

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #53
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's all put back together. Just tooled around the block and it's moving pretty good. I have a spring for the side stand on order, other than that I think it's ready for it's first ride to work on Monday!
Gotta get a battery harness so I can plug in my heated liner. Did I mention there are vents on the fairing for heat to the feet?

So here's what I have in it so far...

$100- purchase price.
$74 - VT registration and plate
$15 - air filter
$7 - side stand spring on order
$45 - battery
$7 - rattle can paint
$7 - flasher relay
$9.99 - CDI unit from eBay, doesn't fit, loose but only a bit.
$3 - exhaust gasket
$3 - misc screws and nuts
I think that's all.
Total invested so far...
$270.99, let's round that up to $300 as I've probably forgotten something. Add another $80 or so to register and plate in NY and I'm in well under $400. Pretty good I think.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 08:31 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #54
brockster
Despair & Repair Garage

Oddometer: 2,042
Question 85/84 not running

My 1985 CH150 with a '84 125 drivetrain won't start. I've even tried to jump it with a car battery and cables. Is their a quick way to adjust the valves where I don't have to mess with feeler gauges? I rebuilt the carb, but I can't remember if I tried to mess with the valves. It has not run in a couple of years. I was thinking that it might be the alternator/pulse generator, but your post has me thinking...
What would you suggest?

"
Man whoever came up with Ronald McDonald was dropping some serious acid.
." - SpoonKiller / tiotalruckus.com

brockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #55
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockster View Post
My 1985 CH150 with a '84 125 drivetrain won't start. I've even tried to jump it with a car battery and cables. Is their a quick way to adjust the valves where I don't have to mess with feeler gauges? I rebuilt the carb, but I can't remember if I tried to mess with the valves. It has not run in a couple of years. I was thinking that it might be the alternator/pulse generator, but your post has me thinking...
What would you suggest?
Just loosen the adjusters on the left side of the head. I got into trouble tightening the intake too tight and it wouldn't start. Leave them loose and try starting it. There are two arched adjustment guides, push them away from each other to loosen them. If it starts then you can adjust them later. This caused me a lot of grief for a few days. No feeler gauges needed.

Here's a link to the manual...
http://bill.laudeman.com/CH125/manuals/shop/3-6.html

and this is what the adjusters look like...

The CDI has caused starting problems also but not on mine. That could be the problem from what I've read here also. It's about $20-$30 part. Try loosening the valves first.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 08:53 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #56
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 475
Brockster - you have to check for spark. No spark, no go. Sometimes its only the connection between the cable and the cap.

Ride4321- you're on your way. As for stopping and accelerating and so forth, it should do OK as is. You have nothing to compare it to, but if you ride around you'll know if it can get out of the way of traffic when the light turns green and whether you can be confident it will stop when you want it to. My guess is that it will do these things just fine. At 125cc's it will probably do fine up to about 45, then run out of breath at 50-55. Depending on how heavy you are and how hard you like to accelerate the fuel mileage should end up between 60 and 70 mpg. Sometimes less, sometimes more, but that's the range. Poor starting and running when it's warmed up, and poor gas mileage, points to a bystarter that's not closing.

Wentwest screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 10:02 AM
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #57
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just got back from a good test ride. Top speed right around 55-56, steep uphill 35 and a lesser uphill it was over 40. Got back to find my neighbor out so I coaxed him into getting his 125 Chinese dirtbike out. We were gonna drag but he chickened out. You can sort of see the intimidated look in his eyes...no? The Elite looks like a Wing next to him.

He's got a GSXR750 and dirt experience but also has a good job and doesn't want to get injured anymore. Figured he would buy this for fun without the injury factor.

The Elite did fine but after hauling ass over the BIG hill it was smoking a bit when I got home. No big deal, I'll check the oil often. I'm definitely riding this into work tomorrow.

Tom Waits

ride4321 screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 02:10 PM
Old 11-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #58
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Sounds like it runs right. Very similar to my CH125, which runs perfectly.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
ride4321 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max57 View Post
Sounds like it runs right. Very similar to my CH125, which runs perfectly.
Does yours smoke? After beating it with a whip this was smoking pretty good.

Tom Waits
Old 11-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #60
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Oh I forgot you mentioned that. No, it doesn't smoke. Put half a cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in your tank. It probably needs to run. I have owned mine since it was new and it has been on synthetic since break in. You might have some old stuff to run out of it. Did you check the tiny slow jet? Pretty zippy scooter,huh?