Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #76
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
bloodweiser: I might have about 5 lbs on you, but otherwise I'm the same height and inseam. my experience has been about yours, went into a couple of dealerships specifically to look at RK's, sat on a couple of them and thought "hm, this is designed for a larger creature". It's not even the weight so much as it's the wideness of the things. then sat on the switchback and, ta-da it fits as-is.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #77
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Well, I might be springing for a Dyna. Got pretty turned on by a Street Glide during a recent rental. BUT I'm thinking a Super Glide Custom, detachable shield and a nice pair of bags? Looked at the Switch. Didn't do it for me. Dont need a "real" bagger. Just too much bike for me on a day to day basis. I used to have an '02 FXD, which I wish I still had, but methinks the new ones are pretty nice.
Lyle
My wife got a '13 Super Glide Anniversary. She's put a screen, a backpack and a backrest to carry the backpack on it. This model comes with abs and smooth rims, black and root beer paint.

I've ridden it. It handles and rides quite nicely. A bit cramped for me at 6'3", but perfect for her at 5'7". She's had a Low Rider and a couple of bmw's including most recently a r12r. She much prefers the SG.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #78
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 302
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree88 View Post
there are numerous threads on how to fix them in less than an afternoon.
here is mine-

I have just shy of 30k on it now (23k with no rear suspension and the apes).

just got it running again last weekend (ex-roomate took it out joyriding and messed the trans up) have done just short of 500miles since then. Yeah, it may be the antithesis of an adventure bike (or a sane one) but it's my bitch and I love her.
That's a good looking girl there Tree. My back is too jacked up to go w/out shocks. Like the Apes though!
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #79
tree88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
That's a good looking girl there Tree. My back is too jacked up to go w/out shocks. Like the Apes though!
it actually doesn't ride much worse with the struts on it- because of my considerable ass, and the general lack of suspension travel on harley's in general, the rear springs had to be ridiculously stiff to prevent bottoming, and really didn't move much on small bumps- and on the bigger bumps, it seemed like the swingarm just got a running shot before kicking the living sh#t out of me lol.
After I put the struts on, I did the whole "slow down way too much for every little bump" thing for about a week, but after that I was back to riding as normally as I ever do.

The only things that REALLY suck is railroad tracks (but they always did), and segmented concrete highways (the rear tire will actually begin to "dribble" of the ground, depending on speed)
tree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 AM   #80
Dirigo
Curious

Oddometer: 302
Over where I work, there are a bunch of rail road tracks and many of them are diagonally across the road. Wet days get interesting either on my Dyna or my DR.
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #81
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
My wife got a '13 Super Glide Anniversary. She's put a screen, a backpack and a backrest to carry the backpack on it. This model comes with abs and smooth rims, black and root beer paint.

I've ridden it. It handles and rides quite nicely. A bit cramped for me at 6'3", but perfect for her at 5'7". She's had a Low Rider and a couple of bmw's including most recently a r12r. She much prefers the SG.
Post a pic of the root beer/black. I like the way she's got that bike setup.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #82
USA-H1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Got to love the Dyna's.

My FXDWG along with my bro's 883 sportie also a killer bike!

USA-H1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #83
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
'13 FXDB (H-D1 customized)

What's in my garage at the moment...

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #84
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,543
love that color.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #85
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
HD for Me??

Been itching for a HD, so went today and test road a softail heritage and a Switchback. Liked the power on the SB, not forward controls, shakes like a paint mixer, both scraped bottom on a test ride, hard to lean over. Smoother motor on the softail. Seems they're great going down the freeway at 75 but ride is rough, vibrates so much you can't see the road steady. Like from over hard tires. I dunno.

I think I'm just not a harley guy, much as I wanted to like one. I've been riding 40+ years and never tried one, so got that out of my system. Oh well. I'll keep the Tiger XC. Getting back on it to ride home, it was like silky smooth, more comfortable, and way easier to ride.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #86
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
What's in my garage at the moment...

Beautiful bike! Are those mid mount pegs?
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
Beautiful bike! Are those mid mount pegs?
Yes - I ordered them as part of the H-D1 customization process. I'm not a fan of forwards for a number of reasons.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #88
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Been itching for a HD, so went today and test road a softail heritage and a Switchback. Liked the power on the SB, not forward controls, shakes like a paint mixer, both scraped bottom on a test ride, hard to lean over. Smoother motor on the softail. Seems they're great going down the freeway at 75 but ride is rough, vibrates so much you can't see the road steady. Like from over hard tires. I dunno.

I think I'm just not a harley guy, much as I wanted to like one. I've been riding 40+ years and never tried one, so got that out of my system. Oh well. I'll keep the Tiger XC. Getting back on it to ride home, it was like silky smooth, more comfortable, and way easier to ride.
I have an '09 Street Bob. Yes, it vibrates and rides rough. It doesn't handle, corner, or brake as good as my BMW GSA. I get a lot of enjoyment from riding it though. I put Ohlins shocks on the rear but it will never have a cushy ride like a big Adv bike but it rides much better than stock. I manage to corner pretty good and can drag the pegs or not. You have to bend it into a corner instead of snapping it over and squaring off the apex like a sportier bike. It works very good at the speed limit or + 10 mph over the limit. Maintenance is easy and next to nonexistent. I 'm glad you actually went and rode one. I respect your opinion because your had your own and didn't' just repeat something you read on the Internet.
Not everybody likes the same thing. The ones I think are funny are the ones that will not consider an HD because they think it's federal law that you have to dress like a pirate and wear a leather vest with some sort of bird or other animal on the back. They think the dealer forces you to put loud pipes on and you can only own one if you can't ride. They think there is a law that you can not wear a helmet especially a full face. They think you are forced to wear assess chaps.

I like riding my Harley to BMW rallies. They talk to you like someone is holding a cat turd under their nose. I chuckle because I have two BMW's And have been riding for 44 years. They think I just do not know better. They always comment on my stock pipes like they didn't know Harley's were quiet. So, if you ride a Harley not all but a lot of other riders will treat you like a retarted person. Maybe that is some of the appeal for me and knowing it is cheap and easy to operate compared to more sophisticated bikes.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #89
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I have an '09 Street Bob. Yes, it vibrates and rides rough. It doesn't handle, corner, or brake as good as my BMW GSA. I get a lot of enjoyment from riding it though. I put Ohlins shocks on the rear but it will never have a cushy ride like a big Adv bike but it rides much better than stock. I manage to corner pretty good and can drag the pegs or not. You have to bend it into a corner instead of snapping it over and squaring off the apex like a sportier bike. It works very good at the speed limit or + 10 mph over the limit. Maintenance is easy and next to nonexistent. I 'm glad you actually went and rode one. I respect your opinion because your had your own and didn't' just repeat something you read on the Internet.
Not everybody likes the same thing. The ones I think are funny are the ones that will not consider an HD because they think it's federal law that you have to dress like a pirate and wear a leather vest with some sort of bird or other animal on the back. They think the dealer forces you to put loud pipes on and you can only own one if you can't ride. They think there is a law that you can not wear a helmet especially a full face. They think you are forced to wear assess chaps.

I like riding my Harley to BMW rallies. They talk to you like someone is holding a cat turd under their nose. I chuckle because I have two BMW's And have been riding for 44 years. They think I just do not know better. They always comment on my stock pipes like they didn't know Harley's were quiet. So, if you ride a Harley not all but a lot of other riders will treat you like a retarted person. Maybe that is some of the appeal for me and knowing it is cheap and easy to operate compared to more sophisticated bikes.
Ha...laughed my ass off. I can see myself doing that, riding to a BMW meet on a harley. Too funny. The BMW guys tend to be even more snooty than the harley guys.

I did feel kind of funny test riding them with a full-face road helmet and my tourmaster mesh jacket. I thought I at least should'a had a half-helmet and a black leather jacket or vest.

I'm still drawn to them. Will probably end up with a dyna of some sort, or a 'king, just to have one, be part of the history of them. I still ride pretty aggressively so riding one would definitely slow me down. If I had a bunch of riding buddies with them then I'd be compelled to get one sooner rather than later. We'll have to see over time. I would have to find new buddies to ride with LOL. I do like the look and sound, and they have a unique feel to them. Definitely more laid back. When we do tour rides with the adventure bikes we pass them like they're standing still.

EDIT: BTW, Towjam has a great looking bike there. Exactly what I had in mind. I really like the alloys so you can run tubeless tires.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #90
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Those of you that know firsthand: how's a dyna compare to a sportster (04 up) for ride quality? Is it any cushier or more relaxed at 60? I guess it probably is at 75. Any input on this?
studad is offline   Reply With Quote