Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #91
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 26,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I put Ohlins shocks on the rear but it will never have a cushy ride like a big Adv bike but it rides much better than stock.
Ohlins on a Harley? Wow. First person I know who's done that.

Quote:
I like riding my Harley to BMW rallies. They talk to you like someone is holding a cat turd under their nose. I chuckle because I have two BMW's And have been riding for 44 years. They think I just do not know better.
I rode my Goldwing to a BMWMOA national rally a few years ago. I overheard two yahoos talking badly about it to a friend of mine; who defended me quite well, too.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #92
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Those of you that know firsthand: how's a dyna compare to a sportster (04 up) for ride quality? Is it any cushier or more relaxed at 60? I guess it probably is at 75. Any input on this?
Went to a switchback after a couple years on an '06 R.
Much cushier and relaxed at all speeds.
The 103 has a six speed.
At 80 I'm at about 3k.
Feels like 35 mph.

Bloodweiser screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 02:53 AM
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #93
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
Those of you that know firsthand: how's a dyna compare to a sportster (04 up) for ride quality? Is it any cushier or more relaxed at 60? I guess it probably is at 75. Any input on this?
Assuming totally stock, no contest. Any Dyna will be more relaxed and at least on paper, will be more flickable with higher lean angles (with the exception of the XR1200).

I know firsthand.

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #94
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Ohlins on a Harley? Wow. First person I know who's done that.

Most guys spend $2000 on pipes, tuner, and air cleaner and have the stock shocks. I spent $500 on shocks and improved the ride and handling. When I tell them the stock shocks are crap they are surprised and say " really? The stock shocks are crap?"
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #95
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Most guys spend $2000 on pipes, tuner, and air cleaner and have the stock shocks. I spent $500 on shocks and improved the ride and handling. When I tell them the stock shocks are crap they are surprised and say " really? The stock shocks are crap?"

I remember going to Daytona Bikeweek a few years ago and stopping at the Progressive Suspension booth. Perhaps the knowledgeable guys weren't there, but when I asked what made their shocks so good, the guy replied, "they're made of billet aluminum."

The Harley community for the most part hasn't yet come to the understanding of the importance of suspension to a good, safe ride. Heck, most of those guys are slamming their bikes. For the look. Jeez.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #96
gus
Studly Adventurer

One more plus Harley has is their engine re manufacturing plant. They will totally rebuild your motor or transmission and give you a factory warranty . I think they will go back to an Evo series. No other OEM offers this that I'm aware of.

I have bought a lot of parts off the HD forum for about half price. I am putting on a set of cast wheels that were take offs from a super glide. Like new, they cost me $300 shipped. Other new accessories I bought from Internet HD dealers that sell for 20% off.

It's already been discussed about the unlimited aftermarket support and low easy routine maintenance, and prolific dealer support with usually speedy support for the traveling rider they provide. I still laugh at all the threads started where the OP ask for suggestions for bikes that meet this criteria but then exempt Harley from the list because they don't want to be associated with the
" lifestyle" or be seen in a Harley dealership.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 AM   #97
Dirigo
Scratched & Dented

Oddometer: 233
Gus,
What type of Ohlins did you go with on the rear? I've got an '11 Fat Bob and have been tinkering with the adjusments on the stock shocks, so far no joy on the ride. Weight loss may help too, but it's easier to buy the shocks than go without beer.
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #98
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
I still laugh at all the threads started where the OP ask for suggestions for bikes that meet this criteria but then exempt Harley from the list because they don't want to be associated with the
" lifestyle" or be seen in a Harley dealership.
Because too many damn people
use the internet to create their version of the world.

And if all I knew of HDs and their owners
was created from what I've seen on
any number of harley forums,
I'd want nothing to do with that shit either.

You know, around here,
in real life that is;
if it's rainy, or 32 degrees,
or there's salt on the roads,
or if it's a Tuesday...

The majority,
if not the only,
bikes I see on the road
are Harley's.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #99
faded_Glory
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Been itching for a HD, so went today and test road a softail heritage and a Switchback. Liked the power on the SB, not forward controls, shakes like a paint mixer, both scraped bottom on a test ride, hard to lean over. Smoother motor on the softail. Seems they're great going down the freeway at 75 but ride is rough, vibrates so much you can't see the road steady. Like from over hard tires. I dunno.

I think I'm just not a harley guy, much as I wanted to like one. I've been riding 40+ years and never tried one, so got that out of my system. Oh well. I'll keep the Tiger XC. Getting back on it to ride home, it was like silky smooth, more comfortable, and way easier to ride.
That's my story too. Did exactly the same thing you mention here a month ago, wasn't quite convinced and have been trying to think it thru ever since.

My conclusion is that I may at some point in time get a HD - but not just yet. I can hopefully squeeze in a couple of other bikes before I really get to the point where it is now or never for a Harley. So instead I'm now contemplating a sporty tourer of some sorts, perhaps a Suzuki GSX 1250FA or maybe a Guzzi Norge.

Or just stick with the Wee but that wouldn't cure the itch. Easier on the wallet though

Enjoy your Dyna's and see you guys on another thread

fG
Old 04-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #100
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
Gus,
What type of Ohlins did you go with on the rear? I've got an '11 Fat Bob and have been tinkering with the adjusments on the stock shocks, so far no joy on the ride. Weight loss may help too, but it's easier to buy the shocks than go without beer.
I have the HD 216 12" stock length. There was a discount for HD Forum members. I can't remember where I bought them. They are worlds better than stock but if I had it to do over I would have bought 13" and a better model. 3" of travel will not compare to 8" on an Adv bike. Where good shocks shine is making good use of the limited travel. The stockers would stack up at speed on a rough road and just quit working like riding a rigid. They would send sharp jolts straight to your spine on the smallest bump.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #101
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
V

You know, around here,
in real life that is;
if it's rainy, or 32 degrees,
or there's salt on the roads,
or if it's a Tuesday...

The majority,
if not the only,
bikes I see on the road
are Harley's.
Same around here. That crap about Harley riders never riding gets regurgitated so much the people that repeat it believe it.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #102
gus
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_Glory View Post
That's my story too. Did exactly the same thing you mention here a month ago, wasn't quite convinced and have been trying to think it thru ever since.

My conclusion is that I may at some point in time get a HD - but not just yet. I can hopefully squeeze in a couple of other bikes before I really get to the point where it is now or never for a Harley. So instead I'm now contemplating a sporty tourer of some sorts, perhaps a Suzuki GSX 1250FA or maybe a Guzzi Norge.

Or just stick with the Wee but that wouldn't cure the itch. Easier on the wallet though

Enjoy your Dyna's and see you guys on another thread

fG
I like the Wee so much when I ride one I have to ask myself why I don't have one. Then I ask myself why I paid $18K for my GSA.

I like a lot of bikes though. I had a blast riding a Suzuki TU250. I would love to do a trip on one. Just carry a tooth brush, a change of underwear and a credit card.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #103
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
I like the Wee so much when I ride one I have to ask myself why I don't have one. Then I ask myself why I paid $18K for my GSA.

I like a lot of bikes though. I had a blast riding a Suzuki TU250. I would love to do a trip on one. Just carry a tooth brush, a change of underwear and a credit card.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #104
Dirigo
Scratched & Dented

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Same around here. That crap about Harley riders never riding gets regurgitated so much the people that repeat it believe it.
ABSOLUTELY!! I ride year round as long as there isn't a threat of black ice. I split time between my Dyna and my DR, depends on what I'm in the mood for that day. But the older I get, the more I understand that adventure is adventure no matter what you ride, moreso, it's that you do ride..
Dirigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #105
Phish
Fishbone

Oddometer: 2,367
Went to the dark side, new Dyna custom, coming off of a 2005 Tiger, I loved my tiger many miles of great riding !

After all the Harley bashing I have heard I truly underestimated this motorcycle ! This bike is awesome ! The fit and finish is excellent, it's pretty as shit and this mofo is powerful. Cant wait to do some good riding this summer !
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote