Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,308
I forgot to add earlier re: quote for 3 weeks. Make sure it does include the insurance for damages to the RV/cow. If not that can add a lot to your daily fee.You can decline such insurance but then you are liable for damages. Maybe a deal on that depending on the credit card you use.

My sister likes to inform herself when she travels, she missed the "insurance fee" on a three week rental. She wasn't to happy with that fee.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #32
toastmuncher OP
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 668
Right, I guess we have now got to a point where decisions need to be made, we are surprised at the cost of an RV, so, if we flew into one of the following locations, had a few nights , say three, in a hotel, as part of a travel package, THEN take an rv or minivan from one motel/lodge to another for 10-14 days for a looped tour, then back for 3/4 nights comfort before we fly home. This would allow us to book a 7 night package and split it, allowing us to see some Canada in between, guess we need to see whether its best to rv it or minivan it in lodges en-route.

We could maybe be looking at this trip with a view to 'tasting' your country as a means of deciding whether we could live there. Glitzy tourist stuff is not my thing, but our 8 year old needs some memories from this too, so, PLEASE give us your input.

Would anyone have any input with this plan with regard the follwing destinations?

It seems that Toronto is the cheapest destination flight wise.

Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Montreal
Vancouver
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
toastmuncher OP

a weeks rental of a lodge/cabin in the woods or near a lake would be a huge draw to a certain area if anyone has any suggestions on how I could look at booking such a thing, rough ideas on cost would be a massive help.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
OK, you've got an 8 year old(boy or girl?) so I guess I can make some suggestions.

In Toronto, the Royal Ontario Museum and the CN tower are kinda cool. The Toront zoo is pretty good.
In Sudbury, Science North.
Ottawa is full of museums.
Depending on your dates, there can be some pretty cool events anywhere you go( music/culture/history)
Google up the cities you plan to visit as well as smaller centres and you'll find out more.

Calgary area, the Royal Tyrell Museum in Drumheller. It's all dinosaurs!

Googling cottage rental+ the area you want or contacting realtors in the desired area should work.
I'm partial to the Haliburton area because of the fairly central location and generally lower prices.
Be aware that August is better for less bugs and if you want to rent, the earlier you get on it the better.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #35
toastmuncher OP

just got in, thanks Stig! Shall google some areas tomorrow. My kid is male flavour, the Haliburton seems pretty central and between a few options ref airports. What kind of level does a cabin come at? what would be deemed pricy? just an idea so I can judge if the agents are 'having a laugh at the tourisits expence'. Im a keen canoeist so a day on the water would also be great.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #36
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
Not sure on rates. Maybe pm RobbieO as he lives in cottage country.
As far as canoes, you might get access to one with the cabin or you could rent.
Algonquin Outfitters(check google) has shops around Haliburton and their rates are pretty good
and their boats are nice.

If you're still planning on June, be prepared for mosquitoes.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #37
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Prairie weather caution

Hi Toastmuncher - I know you from the Hacks forum, er, I mean as good as you can know someone from reading their posts on the 'net! I'm a fellow hacker (have 2 rigs), and live in Winnipeg. You've received some great advice so far. The region to the east of us is gorgeous, but as alluded to, as you drive east thru the "shield", the landscape looks much the same for 1000 kms. Same can be said for driving west - I love the prairies (born and raised here), but for many, driving/riding across the prairies is pretty boring. I think it's hard for many Europeans to really appreciate the distances here. Many of us take a 1400 km trip from Winnipeg to Edmonton (or Winnipeg to Calgary) in stride, doing it easily in one day. The weather on the prairies (and northwestern Ontario) can be a real crap shoot well into May. April snow storms on the prairies are not unusual, and occasionally we'll even get them in May. At higher elevations in the Rockies you'll still get snowfall in June and occasionally July! Once you've decided on an area or route, I'd be happy to suggest some things to see. Would you think about camping vice renting a motorhome?

Regarding jobs at Kingston ON, they're shutting down the big old penitentiary there. I know some folks that work in some of the prison facilities in the area, and a few folks have lost their jobs with the downsizing. However, it's my understanding that they're looking for Correctional Officers here in MB.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #38
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
Hi Toastmuncher - I know you from the Hacks forum, er, I mean as good as you can know someone from reading their posts on the 'net! I'm a fellow hacker (have 2 rigs), and live in Winnipeg. You've received some great advice so far. The region to the east of us is gorgeous, but as alluded to, as you drive east thru the "shield", the landscape looks much the same for 1000 kms. Same can be said for driving west - I love the prairies (born and raised here), but for many, driving/riding across the prairies is pretty boring. I think it's hard for many Europeans to really appreciate the distances here. Many of us take a 1400 km trip from Winnipeg to Edmonton (or Winnipeg to Calgary) in stride, doing it easily in one day. The weather on the prairies (and northwestern Ontario) can be a real crap shoot well into May. April snow storms on the prairies are not unusual, and occasionally we'll even get them in May. At higher elevations in the Rockies you'll still get snowfall in June and occasionally July! Once you've decided on an area or route, I'd be happy to suggest some things to see. Would you think about camping vice renting a motorhome?

Regarding jobs at Kingston ON, they're shutting down the big old penitentiary there. I know some folks that work in some of the prison facilities in the area, and a few folks have lost their jobs with the downsizing. However, it's my understanding that they're looking for Correctional Officers here in MB.
Thanks for that, really appreciate it.

We are now looking after a lengthy chat, at just sorting flights and a car/minivan and renting a cabin type thing for a few weeks to a month, its going to be early in the season, maybe late april/may, so likely to see some of your weather in its purest form.

I was looking a few years back at correctional work near Kingston, always seemed odd to have 6 Gaols, sorry, Jails in such a small area. I guess that spreading them out a little more makes recruitment a little easier. I feel for your chums, its not a good time for job hunting and 'Screw' experiance doesnt really translate into much else, apart from security work which pays shite dough here.

Been avoiding the hacks forum, my painter has had my hedingham now for 7 months due to his wifes alcoholism, and I paid him UP FRONT. its getting me awfully cross, wish he wasnt a long term chum, as then I could get a bit nasty with him, that said, were it my family, Id expect a bit of slack though. Done some work on the wee 250 hack this week as the weather is just beginning to get a bit bad here, may update the build thread with updates..
Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
Not sure on rates. Maybe pm RobbieO as he lives in cottage country.
As far as canoes, you might get access to one with the cabin or you could rent.
Algonquin Outfitters(check google) has shops around Haliburton and their rates are pretty good
and their boats are nice.

If you're still planning on June, be prepared for mosquitoes.
Its my birthday in June, 40 , and the wife has a party planned so not gonna be June.

We gonna see this stuff in April?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #40
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

One of my friends just turned me on to this site.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Ontario--Canada?type=cabin

Quite a lot there and you can contact the owners directly. Don't know about prices in Canada but she sure got a very good deal in Cancun.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
toastmuncher OP

http://vacations.kijiji.ca/c-Canada-...AdIdZ383363836

Is this typical of what we should be looking at? There is only the 3 of us, a Log Cabin with a log burner would be the ideal thing I guess.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #42
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
One of my friends just turned me on to this site.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/Ontario--Canada?type=cabin

Quite a lot there and you can contact the owners directly. Don't know about prices in Canada but she sure got a very good deal in Cancun.
Thats a really great site, THANK YOU.

When we are looking at a massive country such as yours and have NO idea where we want to be, this stuff is really helpful.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/757205

How does this look?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #43
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Looks good.....bigger than my house.

Learn to BBQ.....!

Wildlife.....them Quebecers and their frogs!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #44
toastmuncher OP

Laugh

we like that, just what we had in mind.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #45
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Hecla

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
http://vacations.kijiji.ca/c-Canada-...AdIdZ383363836

Is this typical of what we should be looking at? There is only the 3 of us, a Log Cabin with a log burner would be the ideal thing I guess.

Yeah, probably typical price wise. That area up there is beautiful, and a little remote too. Is that what you're looking for, to "get away from it all"? We went camping up there this summer. The park itself has cabins you can rent: http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/pa...ral/hecla.html