Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #61
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,654
Just noticed that there's a Royal Distributing in Barrie if you're coming north.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #62
toastmuncher OP
I be new round here! Ello

Oddometer: 672
If its okay with you chaps I shall publish an itinerary here for your input and consideration, PLEASE tell us if we will be near something NOT to be missed, I appreciate this is not really bike related, while we have used cities as the turning points, cabins canoes and nights in the sticks are more likely to be our 'cup of tea'. PLEASE mention bits we NEED to see. ROUTES other than interstate that are more 'interesting' particularly welcome.

21st 15:00hrs Arrive and stay in Toronto prior to.........
22nd Head north, through Huntsville for North Bay, Hopefully convince the wife a visit to the,en-route, 'Bike gear shops' recommended earlier, I fancy a new Shoei RJ open face.
23rd
24th
25th Head East for Ottawa
26th
27th
28th Head East for Montreal
29th
30th
31st Kingston, brief visit/ drive-by the Correctional Facilities/ Gaols, I'm a Warden in Blighty you see. Maybe ask for a job?
1st
2nd
3rd Arrive AM Niagra for 'Tourist' thing.
4th Niagra Day 2 and second nights stay.
5th AM Arrival back in Toronto where we MAY visit the Water Theme park someone on here mentioned.
6th Depart on an evening flight so a day in Toronto doing................?
Guzzi 700 V7 details-mystery
Matchless g3ls 350 54, Ariel 650 huntmaster 56. IBA 40526

toastmuncher screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 04:20 AM Reason: Include Plans
toastmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #63
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Just another thought....killing a couple birds with one stone. Santa's Village (although I've never been) is an award winning campground/kids theme park in Bracebridge with a beach and quick river access to the Muskoka Lakes. This gets your camping, theme park, canoeing/kayaking, and beautiful Canadian cottage country all checked off in 2-3 days without getting behind the wheel.
A lot of campgrounds around Ontario will also offer Yurts and/or camping cabins on site, this will keep the camping costs down by not having to rent a RV and such.

Here's a link to the park....http://santasvillage.ca/

Canadian's don't consider ourselves having good prices on riding gear compared to our buds to the South. So I can't help much there. I find the flea market here on ADV to be the best of anything.
Thanks, however I can imagine nothing worse than Santaland in August.

I can tell you that the store Ive seen on this thread offers the RJ Shoei at 100 less than WE pay. I REALLY wish we could camp, but, cannot bring gear on the plane so will need to travel light and BnB Motel or, hopefully, equipped Cabins? will be the way I think, you guys DO eat bacon for breakfast right?

Look out for this big old b***ard crammed in a little crappy plastic hirecar.

The rest of the clan on a grotty xs400 I have that's come from Idaho?

toastmuncher screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 05:07 AM
Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #64
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
If you want to camp, got to wonder if you can't rent camping gear over there. I know of one store that used to do that on the west coast.

Cheap Walmart tent???? May cost less than one night at a motel.

Orca.....I like that, they were following us a few days ago. And then last week we got quite a show as our "transient" ones were trying to kill a Minke whale. Looks like he escaped diving deep but not without loosing a few chunks of blubber.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #65
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
If you want to camp, got to wonder if you can't rent camping gear over there. I know of one store that used to do that on the west coast.

Cheap Walmart tent???? May cost less than one night at a motel.

Orca.....I like that, they were following us a few days ago. And then last week we got quite a show as our "transient" ones were trying to kill a Minke whale. Looks like he escaped diving deep but not without loosing a few chunks of blubber.
May need to arrange an attack like that for myself, I could use losing a bit of blubber too.

My Lad likes to name stuff, well we both do, so it took us a while to realise the chair looked like a Killer Whale, then 'Orca' came in as the clear name for it. We do get a lot of folk assuming we are enviromentalists though making some kind of statement.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #66
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
If its okay with you chaps I shall publish an itinerary here for your input and consideration, PLEASE tell us if we will be near something NOT to be missed, I appreciate this is not really bike related, while we have used cities as the turning points, cabins canoes and nights in the sticks are more likely to be our 'cup of tea'. PLEASE mention bits we NEED to see. ROUTES other than interstate that are more 'interesting' particularly welcome.

22nd Head north, through Huntsville for North Bay, Hopefully convince the wife a visit to the,en-route, 'Bike gear shops' recommended earlier, I fancy a new Shoei RJ open face.
23rd
24there
26th
27th
29th
30th
31st Kingston, brief visit/ drive-by the Correctional Facilities/ Gaols, I'm a Warden in Blighty you see. Maybe ask for a job?
1st
2nd
5th AM Arrival back in Toronto where we MAY visit the Water Theme park someone on here mentioned.
Your itinerary looks about right. All the places you have listed to see have backroads to each of them. That'll get you see see some nice towns and countryside.
I was at Royal Distributing today and a Shoei rj is 269+tax. That shop is right of the highway 45 minutes going north from Toronto.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #67
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
May need to arrange an attack like that for myself, I could use losing a bit of blubber too.

My Lad likes to name stuff, well we both do, so it took us a while to realise the chair looked like a Killer Whale, then 'Orca' came in as the clear name for it. We do get a lot of folk assuming we are enviromentalists though making some kind of statement.
Blubber Eh! It is a delicacy to some in Canada.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #68
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:

23rd
24th
If you're not married to the idea of going straight up Hwy 11 to North Bay, I'd consider the longer way around (Hwy 69 through Parry Sound, with a side trip to Killarney Provincial Park) or even longer (up to Owen Sound to Tobermory, ferry to Manitoulin Island, cross over to Sudbury and the North Bay. Stop by the Creemore Brewery in Creemore, ON (on the way from Toronto to Owen Sound). You could spend a good couple of days just seeing the sights around Tobermory and Fathom Five National Marine Park.

Just a word of warning - if you plan to camp at a Provincial Park, you need to book a spot soon, especially on weekends. Otherwise you might be out of luck, especially Algonquin Park.

If it were me, I'd spend about 30 minutes in NB () and then south on 11 to Huntsville, crossing over to Ottawa via Hwy 60 and Algonquin Park. If you do that trip, and then from Niagara back to Toronto, you can say you've driven a good chunk of the length of the Niagara Escarpment!!

I can count at least half a dozen classic Ontario "Shield" landscapes on that trip, many awesome places to camp/rent a cottage/cabin/chalet and one place that looks like it should be the moon or Mars.

If you go up 11 to NB and then 17 to Ottawa, you'll see a lot of highway and traffic, nuclear research facilities and a major military base. Honesty, not a whole lot to see in North Bay.

Quote:
26th
27th
Any idea where you plan to stay in the Ottawa area? Did you book that chalet at Lac Ste Marie? Looks pretty nice, but it's not on the lake...it's about a one hour drive into downtown Ottawa from there.

Quote:
29th
30th
Ottawa to Mtl is a 90 minute drive on the 417 and 40. Longer drive, but a bit more scenic would be the Old Hwy 17 through Hawkesbury in classic Eastern Ontario farm country. Stop for cheese Cross over the Ottawa River to Quebec via the Pointe-Fortune ferry (some historic sites around there as well) and head to Mtl on the north shore of the Ottawa. Key stop would be Beau's Brewery in Vankleek Hill near Hawkesbury.

You're English, so I just assume you like beer.... Spent many a day in England and Scotland hanging out in pubs, myself...

Quote:
The Kingston Pen is right in town and other other institutions are out of town (Bath and Millhaven to the west) and Joyceville (north on Hwy 15).

On the way from Montreal to Kingston to Toronto, make sure you get off the 401 and take old Hwy 2 for a while - there's some classic small Ontario towns along the way...not to mention the St Lawrence Seaway itself. Make sure you see a laker (ship). Check out Prescott area (War of 1812 fort and battlegrounds); Gananoque, Prince Edward County (Picton)...too many places to mention. However, Cornwall could and should be avoided ...

Quote:
1st
2nd

frazman screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 05:31 PM
frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #69
toastmuncher OP

If you're not married to the idea of going straight up Hwy 11 to North Bay, I'd consider the longer way around (Hwy 69 through Parry Sound, with a side trip to Killarney Provincial Park) or even longer (up to Owen Sound to Tobermory, ferry to Manitoulin Island, cross over to Sudbury and the North Bay. Stop by the Creemore Brewery in Creemore, ON (on the way from Toronto to Owen Sound). You could spend a good couple of days just seeing the sights around Tobermory and Fathom Five National Marine Park.

Just a word of warning - if you plan to camp at a Provincial Park, you need to book a spot soon, especially on weekends. Otherwise you might be out of luck, especially Algonquin Park.

If it were me, I'd spend about 30 minutes in NB () and then south on 11 to Huntsville, crossing over to Ottawa via Hwy 60 and Algonquin Park. If you do that trip, and then from Niagara back to Toronto, you can say you've driven a good chunk of the length of the Niagara Escarpment!!

I can count at least half a dozen classic Ontario "Shield" landscapes on that trip, many awesome places to camp/rent a cottage/cabin/chalet and one place that looks like it should be the moon or Mars.

If you go up 11 to NB and then 17 to Ottawa, you'll see a lot of highway and traffic, nuclear research facilities and a major military base. Honesty, not a whole lot to see in North Bay.

(TM) North bay was picked as a turning point or 'corner' but if there is nowt to see, its off the list, Thanks.
(FM)Any idea where you plan to stay in the Ottawa area? Did you book that chalet at Lac Ste Marie? Looks pretty nice, but it's not on the lake...it's about a one hour drive into downtown Ottawa from there.

(TM) Nothing booked as yet just looking this week at itinary, then get on the phone to your fine guesthouses etc

(FM)ttawa to Mtl is a 90 minute drive on the 417 and 40. Longer drive, but a bit more scenic would be the Old Hwy 17 through Hawkesbury in classic Eastern Ontario farm country. Stop for cheese Cross over the Ottawa River to Quebec via the Pointe-Fortune ferry (some historic sites around there as well) and head to Mtl on the north shore of the Ottawa. Key stop would be Beau's Brewery in Vankleek Hill near Hawkesbury.

You're English, so I just assume you like beer.... Spent many a day in England and Scotland hanging out in pubs, myself...

(TM) Im not MUCH of a drinker but I do like a drop. Didnt realise how close the Motreal to Ottawa was, Im not one for cities but the wife would like a look, so maybe well have a bit more time near Ottawa and have a daytrip via Bus/TTrain into MTR instead. We are hoping to meet a distant Cousin, Lives in Otatwathe descendant of a Philanderer who dumped his kids in a victorian workhouse and Buggered off to Canada with a WOMAN, the shame of it.

(FM)The Kingston Pen is right in town and other other institutions are out of town (Bath and Millhaven to the west) and Joyceville (north on Hwy 15).

On the way from Montreal to Kingston to Toronto, make sure you get off the 401 and take old Hwy 2 for a while - there's some classic small Ontario towns along the way...not to mention the St Lawrence Seaway itself. Make sure you see a laker (ship). Check out Prescott area (War of 1812 fort and battlegrounds); Gananoque, Prince Edward County (Picton)...too many places to mention. However, Cornwall could and should be avoided ...

This is the kind of info we need, Thanks Pal, really appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #70
toastmuncher OP

^^ that looks awful but I dont know how to break up a quote like you did, DUH^^

21st 15:00hrs Arrive and head north to a DAMN good sleep in Barrie, two nights.
22nd 'Bike gear shops' recommended earlier, I fancy a new Shoei RJ open face. Mall? Let the wife buy stuff too I guess
23rd Head up 400-69 towards Parry Sound then on to Killarney?
24th
25th Head East for Ottawa Via Algonquin and gatineau Park, may need to look at accomodation, Any input on these?
26th
27th Day trip to Montreal by Train/Bus/Camel?
28th
29th
30th
1st
2nd

toastmuncher screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 12:05 PM
Old 07-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #71
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Cut and paste, my friend.

Sorry, just noticed you're in Wales. I apologize for calling you English..

Algonquin Park you can camp at a roadside campsite (car camping we call it as opposed to backpacking or canoe tripping). Algonquin does have a resort, but it's pricey for what it is. Even if you stay overnight in Huntsville and go through park during the day, there's a few places to stop and take in the sights on Hwy 60 - stop for a picnic lunch kind of thing and stop at Lake of Two Rivers. There's an OK restaurant at Canoe Lake. There also some decent shorter hiking trails with parking lots right on the highway. If you decide to stop in the Park, you'll need to register at the West Gate just past the town of Dwight.

Gatineau Park doesn't have any accomodation in the park itself except for camping at Lac Phillipe, but you're very close to Ottawa. Gatineau Park is good a short day trip, short hike kind of thing. Drive up to the Champlain Lookout and hike out to a cabin called "Western". Luskville Falls is also a good day trip from Ottawa. Lots of accommodation choices both in and around Ottawa and up the Gatineau River valley. Google "gites" and Wakefield or Chelsea. There's a handful of nice places in that area - half-hour to Ottawa, right next door to Gatineau Park and surrounding area. You can rent canoes or hang out at the beach at Lac Phillipe in Gatineau Park.

VIA Rail train from Ottawa to Montreal is a good choice. You won't need to navigate the crap traffic and never-ending construction in Montreal. VIA station in Montreal is downtown and you can walk comfortably to many sites (Vieux Montreal, Port of Montreal, St. Catherine St, shopping galore, restaurants galore, more really nice hotels than you can count). If you want to go further afield (Olympic Park, Biodome, etc) the Metro will do quite nicely. Make sure you get up to the top of Mont-Royal.

You've got the makings of an ambitious trip!

Quote:
^^ that looks awful but I dont know how to break up a quote like you did, DUH^^

21st 15:00hrs Arrive and head north to a DAMN good sleep in Barrie, two nights.
22nd 'Bike gear shops' recommended earlier, I fancy a new Shoei RJ open face. Mall? Let the wife buy stuff too I guess
23rd Head up 400-69 towards Parry Sound then on to Killarney?
24th
25th Head East for Ottawa Via Algonquin and gatineau Park, may need to look at accomodation, Any input on these?
26th
27th Day trip to Montreal by Train/Bus/Camel?
28th
29th
30th
1st
2nd

Old 07-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #72
toastmuncher OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
Cut and paste, my friend.

Sorry, just noticed you're in Wales. I apologize for calling you English..

You've got the makings of an ambitious trip!
Im English, but living in wales.

Thanks for input, will now look at the possibility of a weeks cabin near Ottawa, the week rents seem far cheaper than a day here and there. Ref Restaurants? well be eating out of wallmarts if the trip doesnt add up right.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 AM   #73
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.

Ah well, it's all good then!

I forgot another must-see in Algonquin Park - Barron Canyon. Google that...

Yeah, I think weekend or 3-7 day rates tend be more reasonable and one day rates. Any idea of how far/close to Ottawa you want to be? If out of town, west and north (into Quebec) are most realistic options for cabin ("cottage" in Ontario, "cottage" or "chalet" in Quebec).

Tim Horton's is always a cheap(er) road meal option than full-on restaurants. And you can find them EVERYWHERE. After a few days of that, though, you'll be looking for the supermarket.

Quote:
Im English, but living in wales.

Thanks for input, will now look at the possibility of a weeks cabin near Ottawa, the week rents seem far cheaper than a day here and there. Ref Restaurants? well be eating out of wallmarts if the trip doesnt add up right.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #74
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Again, it depends on your route, but heres a nice area just east of Huntsville, right on the edge of Algonquin park, lots of paddling in the area, canoe rentals etc a couple decent restaurants nearby, great hiking etc.

http://www.oxtonguelake.com/business/accommodations.htm

on the east side of the park is the town of whitney, only stopped there on the sled but likely lots of rentals over there as well, but I like the west side. You can search private cottage rentals as well, other ten the town names you know you can use keywords, Muskoka, and Haliburton as well.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #75
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazman View Post
Tim Horton's is always a cheap(er) road meal option than full-on restaurants. And you can find them EVERYWHERE. After a few days of that, though, you'll be looking for the supermarket.
+1 on this... We eat at Tims a lot while on the road, and I'm not a coffee drinker. I usually get a chicken salad sandwich, wife gets the chili, and the kids like the bagels.
Much cheaper than the other fast food joints, a decent meal and not hard to hunt down a Tims.

We always have some fresh fruits on hand as snacks as well. I usually bring some tuna snacks or sardines with me too. This will help keep some of the costs down vs spending 40 bucks a meal at a restaurant. It help save the money for booze once at the hotel..

To the OP, your trip is coming together and looks great. There's a mall in Barrie (Georgian Mall), where you can drop the wife off while you and the young fella scope out that Shoei RJ at Royal Distributing (it's 269 bucks). There are lots of hotels in the area with easy access to both places. And if you're hanging around that area for a couple days the waterfront is a nice place for a stroll.

I don't know how much you travel but remember that the first couple days the family may have jetlag from the flight. Take that into consideration as it may be tiring and stressful. But nothing my pool, trampoline, firepit, patio and fridge won't fix....