User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
bess227 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
One piece or two???? How do you roll??

My morning commute here in the foothills of NC are currently between 39 and 42 degrees. The afternoon temps can get as high as 70. I have a Tourmaster set, and they do great, but seems to take me a while to thread the boots thru the pants.

I am looking at buying an Olympia Phantom one piece suit. Can anyone shed any light on the pro's and con's for a newb as to why one piece is better than the other, or vice versa? Or any experience with the Phantom suit?

Really like to know before dropping the coin.

Thanks.
bess227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
I have had a one piece Aerostich roadcrafter for over ten years. (I can't comment on the Olympia gear.)

It is my only riding gear for the street. I like it for commuting and having the ability to wear normal clothes on underneath. In cooler weather this works great. Its only when its hot this does't work as well simply b/c nobody wants to show up to work all sweaty.
The big advantage to me is that when I have the one piece it means I'm always wearing head to toe gear. If I had a two piece, I would probably be tempted to leave the riding pants behind .
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
D R
----

Oddometer: 468
I've been using two piece Olympia mesh gear with winter liners for my hour long commutes and have ridden in temps down into the 20s. Of course with temps that low, I add long underwear and sweaters under the winter liners.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Kent Glasscock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Also from the foothills of NC

For 9 years I rode to work year around on my Honda Shadow wearing a leather jacket in chaps. Just added gloves and assorted warmer gear when the temp was below 40. With my KLR, I purchased a two piece roadcrafter from Aerostich. I do like it better. I prefer the two piece just because sometimes, I will stop on the way home for dinner. And I can just take the pants off and walk in with the jacket on. And being that it's all seasonal I now don't have to ride with additional rain gear. And I don't have to take my riding boots off to remove my rain pants. Yes, it is much pricier than some leather chaps and a jacket. But it's well worth it cause it last much longer. Hope that helps.
Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
My 2 cents: I've been riding in an Aerostitch two piece for 8 years and love it. That said, as I look to begin a new commute that will be far more often on a motorcycle, I'll be getting a one piece. Easy in and out. The best weather protection (here in Seattle that's a key point for me) and like James Bond I can slip it off and be in my suit ready to go. They make a number of different weights which will appeal to different temperatures.

A buddy of mine wears their Hi-Viz one piece year 'round and with the simple addition of a heated liner and grips he's comfy down to temps that put ice on the road.

For reference my commute is 30 miles each way and 90% interstate. My new commute will be similar but with more traffic and the benefit of commuter lanes.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
I have a stich one piece and some assorted separates. more often than not I go for separates because I am apparently not man enough to stroll around on campus in a grey onesie.

I do like beng able to doff the pants and look semi-normal with just my jacket at restaurants, too.

The stich is a bit warm to wear around town here, too. if I had more freeway in my commute I might feel differently.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
I hear Olympic gear iz good, but I'm on my 2nd 2 piece 'Stitch. (Recon I'm old school?)
I likez the 2 piece, cuz I can unzip the 2 pieces, stuff 'em in my saddle bags, and walk into court look'in almost human.
I think it's easier ta wash 2 pieces too. That said, a 1 piece has less zippers, (Less places to leak) and is prolly better protection fer when you bail.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
No fag bags in my closet, YMMV.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 106
Stitch 2 piece for me. Zipped together and it's as convenient as a one piece (almost) and as my jacket is Hi-Viz with black ballistics and the trousers are black with black it looks like I am in traditional gear. If you are ordering a suit from Aerostich they can do your trousers and jacket in different colors.

Mike
Old 10-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Aerostich Darien 2 piece. Over 100K on it and time for new but it's another Darien.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
bess227 OP
Adventurer

Thanks to all of you for the info.

The Tourmaster Sonora stuff (two piece) i have has done really well.........just thinking that the one may be warmer on the really cold mornings........and the waterproof liner is permanent.

You know us KLR guys..........thrifty........just trying to talk myself out of a pair of insulated Carhartts sprayed down in Camp Dry.

Safe ridin.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Ive been using a 1-pc 'Stich for 7 years now. If I were to buy another one, i'd get a 2-pc.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
bess227 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Ive been using a 1-pc 'Stich for 7 years now. If I were to buy another one, i'd get a 2-pc.
Wlfman.........any particular reason you would ditch the one piece? inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
2 pc RoadCrafter

Mike's got the right suit. It even looks good without his bike.
The two pieces zip together making a suit that's easy to slip on. The jacket overlaps the waist and helps keep my crotch dry; the extra material that probably keeps me drier than a 1pc suit.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
My preference is 2 pieces but the lower one needs to be an Aerostich Darien. Those pants are VERY easy to get on and off over large boots, but there are plenty of times when it is just easier to leave them on. For instance, if I go to my kid's basketball game, I can take the jacket off when I get inside but taking off a big one piece suit would not be as convenient. Restaurants are another example of times when it is easy to find a place to drape a jacket but not a big suit.

I'm not familiar with the Olympia suit you mention, but I have had an Olympia suit in the past. I liked it a lot. It saved my bacon in a very bad crash a few years back and was cut off me by paramedics. The suit did its job. It was a mesh suit and I have now settled on the Darien pants for all-year use. I change jackets in hot weather to a mesh BMW model and have the BMW Tourance 2 for the rest of the year. The Tourance is now discontinued and if you can find one, it will usually be on sale and it is a steal. It is waterproof with decent vents, great armor and is well constructed. My local dealer has his remaining inventory on sale for $350.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote