User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Aerostich ??

I found a used Roadcrafter jacket and am trying to figure out it's age. When did they switch the breast label from Aero to Aero Roadcrafter? Also what changes have been made since then?
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
B dub'ya
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Build date is written inside the pocket with the Aerostich label.
B dub'ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
I found a used Roadcrafter jacket and am trying to figure out it's age. When did they switch the breast label from Aero to Aero Roadcrafter? Also what changes have been made since then?
don't worry about the age. Aerostich got it right a long time ago. most changes are minor.

do worry about condition. have purchase several Aerostich suits on flea market that had almost zero wear for a fraction of costs of new.

it's not unusual for folks to purchase these high $$$ suit with good intentions of putting a lot miles on their bikes... but never do. like suits purchased for wives that used it once.

best to do a soak with water on any used suit. retreat with water repellent treatment.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
don't worry about the age. Aerostich got it right a long time ago. most changes are minor.

do worry about condition. have purchase several Aerostich suits on flea market that had almost zero wear for a fraction of costs of new.

it's not unusual for folks to purchase these high $$$ suit with good intentions of putting a lot miles on their bikes... but never do. like suits purchased for wives that used it once.

best to do a soak with water on any used suit. retreat with water repellent treatment.
Not really worried about the age, this jacket looks damn near new. The size is my major concern. It's a size 40, I wear a size 42 in a suit coat and a L in most shirts because I have big arms and broad shoulders. My chest measures right at 40" but with most clothes that fit in the chest the bicep and shoulder area are super tight.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
mpatch OP
Studly Adventurer

just heard back from the seller, no date tag but he has paperwork on it from June of 1988,looks like this thing has been in a closet for a long time
Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Not really worried about the age, this jacket looks damn near new. The size is my major concern. It's a size 40, I wear a size 42 in a suit coat and a L in most shirts because I have big arms and broad shoulders. My chest measures right at 40" but with most clothes that fit in the chest the bicep and shoulder area are super tight.
Quote:
just heard back from the seller, no date tag but he has paperwork on it from June of 1988,looks like this thing has been in a closet for a long time
for sizing info... simply visit Aerostich for detailed sizing info. call em up and tell em what you are up to. Aerostich are really nice folks and don't mind helping. after all they made it and have a vested interest in seeing folks happy with Aerostich products.

generally if you wear a size 42 in suit, you will probably need a size 44 in Aerostich to compensate for extra layering. unless something is really off, a 40 Aerostich will be too small for you.

on used gear... get the following dimensions and compare to a jackets that fits you.

1. top of front collar to bottom of jacket below zipper
2. center of back collar to outer sleeve
3. armpit to outer sleeve

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 04:06 PM
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Quote:
Sorry to be a naysayer but I wear a 42 long jacket and I bought a Roadcrafter jacket off the flea market here in 44 long and it was STILL too damn small. Only good thing was I sold it locally on CL for the same as i paid for it.

I think aerostich stuff is very high quality, but it's just not for me. Short of going to the factory and getting totally custom fit, I don't know what it would take. I've never tried on a Roadcrafter that was comfortable and I'm a pretty average build. Don't know.....
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Yeahoo Whoyah
Duct Tape Advocate

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
It's a size 40, I wear a size 42 in a suit coat and a L in most shirts
I think you better keep looking. This one won't be big enough.
Yeahoo Whoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,061
The only things to look out for in the older suits, even ones that have been sitting in the closet
Look at the armour, it will break down after a while.
Also look at the seam taping and the coating of the cordura. Age kills some of that stuff as well.

I've always felt that my stadard 42 one piece was just a little too tight and short in the torso for my size 42 suit sized body.

If I had it to over again I'd get at least a 44 or 46 and would thing about adding extra length in the arms and an ellipse to the lower back.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post

I think aerostich stuff is very high quality, but it's just not for me. Short of going to the factory and getting totally custom fit, I don't know what it would take. I've never tried on a Roadcrafter that was comfortable and I'm a pretty average build. Don't know.....
That is One of the best things about Stich..........they will make to fit new or used...........so buying used may not be perfect if you have don't have an off the shelf............10 years ago I purchased a used Darien, sent to Stich to lengthen the sleeves by two inches.........I paid the fee for the perfect fit

You can do a factory fit through the mail but it may take time and a little trial fitting back and forth.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
I'm still wearing a 1985 Roadcrafter one piece. Don't be afraid! Great products!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote