ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?
Tomorrow, bring it on! 425 87.99%
Too small, prefer the exisiting 990 and upcoming 1190. 26 5.38%
Too big, prefer a single. 26 5.38%
Not interested in a KTM. 6 1.24%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #151
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
When I crash my adventure bike in the middle of know where I want the frame to survive even if it's bent to shit versus having unrideable cracks, and I'd like to be able to roll up to some back water town and find a welder and have them be able to make repairs.

Then you should have a bike with a steel frame, because obviously it is what you
are comfortable riding since you are familiar with it.

And while your frame is being repaired you can open a dictionary and learn the difference between "know" and "no".

It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #152
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,201
Oh vey.... .

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #153
wr37
Woods Racer

Oddometer: 69
Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?

Yes, but try this. 2 smoke direct injection 600. The 370 lbs would be with luggage.

Don't laugh....it's almost Ski-doo season here.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #154
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Then you should have a bike with a steel frame, because obviously it is what you
are comfortable riding since you are familiar with it.

And while your frame is being repaired you can open a dictionary and learn the difference between "know" and "no".
haha.

I guess answering the argument is hard. So you might as well throw in an argumentum ad hominem

Or would you like to tell us how a helicopter rotor blade and a motorcycle frame are related again?
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #155
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
You said :
BTW I`m quite happy that the discussion is a discussion and not a hairy chested dick waving contest

Well, you had to know it couldn't last.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #156
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
All 690s buzz & shake like hell and feel busy at highway speeds which prevent some people for riding them a long time- yeah I know us guys are all hardcore but when you deal with John Q Customer that's what I hear, and that keeps them close to home not roaming the world.
Mine must be defective...It has about 3200 miles on it and has become quite smooth. No vibes at all under 65 and very little above 72. The worst is 65-72, but not enough to bother me. The seat does, though. I'd say at 80mph my 690 is about the same as my 950 was at the same speed.

I believe 'birdcage' is the name assigned specifically to the chassis of the Tipo 61 Maserati's some 50 years ago. 'Trellis' is specific to motorcycle chassis design.

Pantah screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:06 AM
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #157
orange spy
diddly squat

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
......Maybe when 1,000 of us line up
and give KTM a full $16,000 deposit KTM might change its mind on whether to embark
on building this lighter bike, but that's not going to happen, so for KTM to actually
build a revolutionary light weight twin someone at KTM is going to have to stick his neck
out pretty far, with the awareness that failure could cost him his career. ...

I'm in

not for 16K each but I think we can get 16.000 people to deposit 1K each

i think thats doable

there are a lot of people who are craving for a 800 twin. More than we would like to admit
orange spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #158
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange spy View Post
...not for 16K each but I think we can get 16.000 people to deposit 1K each i think thats doable

there are a lot of people who are craving for a 800 twin. More than we would like to admit

Really? Try this-- within AdvRider, with a population of 214,000 hard core inmates (or at least as they like to think of themselves ) there are, as of this post, 208 no cash changing hands "buyers". That's approximately 1/10 of 1 percent of the Advrider population.

So, let's see; to get 16,000 people to fork over $1,000 to raise the $16 million would require a motorcycling population of approximately 200,000,000 (that's 200 million for those who are comma challenged). Let's see, the US has what, a million? The rest of the world has maybe 5 million (total guess). So quadruple it to 24 million.

Unless China & India has a really unfulfilled need for mid-sized adventure bikes, I suspect 16,000 $1,000 depositors might be a tad difficult.

But hey, what do I know? It's only math.

PS: I would pay the deposit.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #159
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Just because you can multiply that does not mean your math is correct.

There would be many more buyers on ADV, obviously only a fraction of the inmates have seen this thread and voted.

What is more relevant is how the people on Orange Crush have voted, many of them die hard 950/990 fans.

If KTM can sell enough 950/990 and 85% of them would prefer a 700-800 twin, you don't need to count on India and China as customers to sell enough of them...
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #160
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr37 View Post
Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?

Yes, but try this. 2 smoke direct injection 600. The 370lbs would be with luggage.

Don't laugh....it's almost Ski-doo season here.
or a 2 stroke 700 cc yamaha jetski engine

It would definitely smoke the competition

Lighten up folks to much raging going on, each and everyone of you have some valid points just don`t have to hammer the cube trough the round opening

I think the bike with the parameters Lukas stated is easily doable, but the question if it`s financially feasible or not and that`s where all models and ideas live or die.

They building 950-990 and the new 1190 series for quite a while and maybe a lot of parts are different but probably the CNC machines robots the tooling machining is pretty similar, the staff putting them together have some sort of an idea what goes where.

The same goes for their 1 pot models. Introducing a totally new engine family is IMHO much much more expensive than we would like to think, probably that has something to do why they killed off the 70 degree husabergs they were selling really good (at least here in Australia) but probably to make that different engine, the frame for it etc. really killed the actual profit they made on those machines. Probably most new bikes has to be designed around already existing components, supliers and what`s their factory can and can not do so introducing such a totally new idea for KTM should be a major step which could seriously effect them.

And this is my totally amateur opinion hopefully who has more insight could identify my flaws and failings in that matter and I get a good
Old 11-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #161
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
Really it comes down to what you think is better in a facelift. A 150 HP slightly heavier bike with better efficency or a bike with similar power, more effecient and lighter. I'm in the latter camp, as I guess more than a few others are too. KTM had the final vote so there it is.

Hey, I'm a guy who thinks the mini has grown to obesity in its short life and 3 iterations since its revival too!

Bigger, faster and fatter isn't my idea of better on a bike that #1 was already big, #2 already fast and #3 already fat!

There is an ass for every seat. If the new Adv was a Gold Wing copy there would be riders here stating it is about time!!! Build it as a Busa competetior and there will be that camp spouting off too. I'm glad the riders who want this will get it, or at least have the option. I'm betting that it will sit on the floor like the SE and SMs and Dukes and Advs did. KTM decided to move the street stuff from dealers where their really rabid base shops. Doesn't sound like good business to me but time will tell.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #162
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Just because you can multiply that does not mean your math is correct.
The math is correct-- what you mean is the premise may not be.

Quote:
There would be many more buyers on ADV, obviously only a fraction of the inmates have seen this thread and voted.
I'd guess that anyone (or the majority of folks) who's interested in KTM twins has seen the poll; and I think you feel there are way more 9x0 riders than there are on the board.
I ran a poll/count on how many 9x0 people had about two years ago. I think the site had about (edit) 78,000 members at the time. There were about 600 total-- and that included all the twins (950SM, SE, 990 SMR&T, Superduke).

I just bumped it, so we'll see how much it changes

Quote:
What is more relevant is how the people on Orange Crush have voted, many of them die hard 950/990 fans.
If KTM can sell enough 950/990 and 85% of them would prefer a 700-800 twin, you don't need to count on India and China as customers to sell enough of them...
I see three issues with the above:
1) the SE selling experience-- took 3-4 years to clear the small inventory
2) the larger market is calling for the new bike KTM is building
3) if a smaller bike came out too soon it would probably take some 1190 sales-- less revenue and potentially less profit.

On the plus side-- I believe that the best chance for a smaller twin that many of us would like is for the 1190 to be a roaring success with a lot of conquest sales. If that happens, I think KTM would be less inclined to worry about taking 1190 sales from the base.

wpbarlow screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 07:20 AM
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #163
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Or you could just carry some oil with you, and have more oil shipped to waypoints on your trip.
I consider the fuel injection hassles such as Fishfund experienced to be far more significant
than the oil requirement. The fuel injection systems ( on various KTMs ) have not yet reached
a level of reliability which would be desirable for a trip away from the typical trappings of civilization.
I'd much rather have a vacuum fuel pump and carbs. Of course the Euro emissions requirements make
carbs a thing of the past for street legal bikes, so we are left to retrofit carbs or buy a bike which came
with them OEM or take our chances with fuel injection and maybe carry a bunch of spares to hedge our bets.

I have to agree. The reliability of my FI and Regulator was annoying. Carrying extra oil wasn't. If you just carry an extra 2 quarts, you can make it 6,000 miles between big cites where you can pick up your next batch of fancy oil. One could also argue that in RTW riding you should always have enough oil on you for a complete oil change anyway for when you crack your case, or flood the bike in a water crossing. Running cheap or common oil in a bike is cool, but it's way down the list on what I really care about in a bike.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #164
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,057
I personally wouldn't buy a 800cc twin adventure bike. I'd much rather get a 690 and put a RR fairing, aftermarket seat, and gas tank on it to make it a 690 adventure. Lighter, and still plenty of power for interstate.

My old 650 v-strom had less power than a 690 (63hp vs 66), and weighed about 120 lbs more stock and handled long distances without an issue.

If KTM made a 690 Adventure I'd be the first in line. I also don't need gobs of power like some people do, not that that's a bad thing.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #165
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Agree with TheMuffinMan

Already have an Adventure and a plated XR. don't see the need for one in the middle.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote