ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you buy a 370 lbs wet, 80-90 HP, 700-800cc twin, priced between 690 and 990?
Tomorrow, bring it on! 422 87.92%
Too small, prefer the exisiting 990 and upcoming 1190. 26 5.42%
Too big, prefer a single. 26 5.42%
Not interested in a KTM. 6 1.25%
Voters: 480. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #166
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a 800cc twin adventure bike. I'd much rather get a 690 and put a RR fairing, aftermarket seat, and gas tank on it to make it a 690 adventure. Lighter, and still plenty of power for interstate.

My old 650 v-strom had less power than a 690 (63hp vs 66), and weighed about 120 lbs more stock and handled long distances without an issue.

If KTM made a 690 Adventure I'd be the first in line. I also don't need gobs of power like some people do, not that that's a bad thing.
Yes, that's the point - because that v-strom is a twin.....it's not about more power than a 690 it's about smoothness that a single has trouble delivering on a consistent basis for the interstate.

Motorcyclist prayer: Oh lord if I die, please don't let my wife sell my bikes for what I told her they cost.
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #167
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Yes, that's the point - because that v-strom is a twin.....it's not about more power than a 690 it's about smoothness that a single has trouble delivering on a consistent basis for the interstate.

So let me get this straight. You want a lighter less powerful bike that is smoother then the 690.... to ride on the highway.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #168
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 351
Until they build a 690-800 adventure i'll build my own.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #169
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
So let me get this straight. You want a lighter less powerful bike that is smoother then the 690.... to ride on the highway.

Hey, did any of you guys see the new generation KLR / Versys frankenbike on one of the other threads?

Sounds a lot like what several are asking for.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #170
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,474
Thumb Put me down for one......

Just saw this thread and added to the poll Yup I'd buy one fore SURE!
Having just finished up 2yrs and 62,000miles with my modified 650/705 klr.... (Think Walters Sibersky Extreme 650) riding every State, (cept Hawaii) Province and Territory North of Mehiho from single track and cross country tracks all over the West to super slabbing from one side of the country to the next.
Fully loaded tent, all clothing and gear to live off the bike, tools, different counter sprocket, bulbs etc...=520lbs (this includes 31lbs of tools/spares) I can get her a bit lighter, but am happy where she is for versatility, 280mi range close to 60hp.
It's nearly the PERFECT RTW bike..... Except the Thumper JUST CAN NOT take the 10-16hrs a day at 75-80mph beating day in day out. Even with balance shafts
I've went through several engines in this Adventure hence the sad reality for me that I need a twin.
NOTE: Many folks ride KLR's, DR's and other Thumpers 'round the World every year.... Buuuut they gooo much slower than I and it's more of a John Deere tractor experience (Not sooo fun and Exciting)
For them that's probably ok... for me I like the HP to steer with the rear, wheelie over all obstacles, aaand pass anywhere anytime fully loaded uphill bucking a headwind.
My current steed does this..... but every 20,000mi or so I'm swapping out an engine.
Reason I found this thread is I'm looking at some of your Orange offerings.... been entertaining offers to buy a 950 ADV (I like carbs) but the weight isn't all that appealing.
The modified SE is the best thing I've seen yet! Put a Brittania fairing on it off my bike and go! IF the Big Katoom is reliable...? still searching for data.
May just build a parallel 650 outta what I've got and keep on trucking? YA know the 135lb 950/990 is only 15lbs heavier than a stock anemic 650 klr engine at 120lbs, if I can get my bike as light as I have... what could ya do with that orange thing
Peace,
Jim

PS: Thanx for all the ideas guys!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #171
AZ-Twin
Dusty and Thirsty

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
It's really not about a peak HP number which is really only good for marketing purposes, it is about a beefy torque curve.

For a usable bike on the street and trail, It's all about torque.
2011 North up the CDR
Sierra Vista AZ to Paonia CO and Back through Moab UT

AZ-Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #172
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
[QUOTE=frog;19976403]So let me get this straight. You want a lighter less powerful bike that is smoother then the 690.... to ride on the highway.
Co
V
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #173
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
If you ever read much on the original Dukes or talk to owners, they seem to start at vibration and hang out there for much of the conversation before handling comes up.

On road, it's hard to beat a twin. I think the LC8s seem to be pretty darn reliable (there is a thread here with a bunch of 100 k mile units, and generally speaking, there seems to be a few small servicable items that are required, with a few permanent fixes).

Consider that my 950 is probably about 90 hp, and 100 lb heavier than a 690, there isn't much gained in peak HP/lb of bike. However with a broad torque curve, it's amazingly responsive no matter what gear, and cruises comfortably at the 90 mph required on the free-ways around here.

I think the underlying tone (although it speaks to displacement and there are advantages to the smaller displacement such as insurance), basically it's askign for the further development of the Adv990R aimed at lightweight and keeping the smooth twin. Look at today's 600cc sport bikes compared to a decade ago. Faster, lighter, more responsive, and not much more dough. The key is for KTM to maintain two bikes, the 1190 for the big bike crowd, and a smaller lighter twin aimed at the agressive off-road, connecting freeways to get to trails. Personally, a700, 800, 950, 990 all are fine with me, but the key is to have the twin.

I am kind of the boat where the big single isn't that useful for me. If I am putting on major road miles, I want to enjoy them. If not, I would want to be on something lighter and smaller than a 690 like 350/500 anyway.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #174
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
[QUOTE=Idle;19977212]
Quote:
Co
V
Don't know what happened, sposed to say power to weight ratio duh!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #175
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,256
LIGHT

SMOOTH

AFFORDABLE

PICK 2

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #176
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post

The point ( which obviously escaped you ) was not to bicker over
the nomenclature of frames, the point was that frames which use many smaller tubes are
labor-intensive to build and composite construction techniques will ( already have, actually ) reach the point
where it costs less to build a composite structure than it costs to build a welded steel frame.
This is already happening in the bicycle industry, and the motorcycle industry will follow
suit whether you agree or not. While you are sitting there telling us all how and why it
cannot be done, there are already people doing it and there will be more of them every year.
Of course, they could all be wrong ... maybe you'd better call up Trek Bicycle and tell them
they need to quit making composite frames for midrange bikes ...
All the bicycle manufacturers I'm familiar with, offer aluminum frames for less than composite (assuming a similar groupset). As for the resilience of CF, here are a couple I've personally witnessed.

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #177
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,887
The new Husky TR650 Terra is putting out 58hp, is supposed to be super smooth, as smooth as a twin per reviewers. It weighs in at 365 dry, 3.6gal of fuel, 55-60mpg, fuel filler in normal position but tank actually under seat. Slightly lower tech steel vs aluminum frame but strong subframe, and $6995. A lot of the specs everyone here is looking for -- it's just not a KTM.

I'm not much of a fan of the looks of the new Husky's but the reviewers seem to really love the new Terra and say it is much spunkier than the GS650 or Sertao. The venerable GS650 engine pumped up, and probably quite decent on the types of offroad most would use it on. Not a racer. Have to say I'm intrigued by the reports of the smooth single.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #178
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
The new Husky TR650 Terra is putting out 58hp, is supposed to be super smooth, as smooth as a twin per reviewers. It weighs in at 365 dry, 3.6gal of fuel, 55-60mpg, fuel filler in normal position but tank actually under seat. Slightly lower tech steel vs aluminum frame but strong subframe, and $6995. A lot of the specs everyone here is looking for -- it's just not a KTM.

Claimed curb weight: 407.8
So 407.8 - 3.57*6.073 = 386.1 wet - fuel

Front / Rear suspension travel = 7.5"
Seat Height: 34.4 in.

Regular 990:
Suspenison travel = 210mm (8.2")
Seat height: 880mm (34.6")

990R:
Travel 245mm (9.6")
Seat: 905 (35.6)

1190R:
Suspension: 220mm (8.6")
Seat: 890mm (35.4")

and for shits and giggles:
KLR650:
weight: 432- 6.1*6.073 = 400 wet no fuel
Front travel: 7.9"
Rear Travel: 7.3"
Seat: 35.0"

So husky (and bmw) have managed to make a slightly lighter and faster KLR...
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #179
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
So husky (and bmw) have managed to make a slightly lighter and faster KLR...
Yes. And for 95% of the riding public that is a big improvement.
XT225 - For Sale - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966148
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #180
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Yes. And for 95% of the riding public that is a big improvement.
Yeah not so much.

It's to heavy and with not nearly enough travel to be fun off road and it's to slow to be fun on road.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote