Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #61
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvininin View Post
My 990 would overheat in Seattle stop and go traffic in anything over 70F. KTM suggested I removed the front radiator cover. That is not a solution. The second fan kit is cheap compared to repairing or replacing an overheated engine.
I've never had mine overheat in traffic. In washington dc, on 90+ degree days. You sure there's not something else going on.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #62
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson View Post
Let me give you some positives.

My wife and I have just completed UK - Ushuaia (Argentina) - Deadhorse (Alaska) - New York - UK. 53,000 miles and nine months.

We were two up with camping gear. Seven sets of tyres, three sets of brake pads, one set of fork seals and serviced every 4,500 miles. The bike performed amazingly and the only thing that broke was my GPS mount, once on the Carretera Austral (Chile) and the other time on the Dalton Highway (Alaska)

Much of South America was gravel and sometimes worse. I had the seat re-worked before we left the UK and we sometimes did 450 mile days no problem.

I Also have a BMW 1200 GSA and bought the KTM because I thought it was more suited to this journey (two up riding). I was right.
bravo!
there is a lot of crap talked about maintenance. I bought my 950A last year and have maintained it without any problems. Once you have done it once (sorry about the grammar) e.g. oil change, it really is simple. Taking off the left tank takes, what, 5-10 mins? No problem.
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #63
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnitonagain View Post
Well, I'm coming from a Harley Davidson and I'm assuming the ride and the manner of riding is totally different. I'm not looking to be doing 180KM/hr on the trip, but most of the route is blacktop, with the exception of the Dempster, and a few fire roads in the route. I'm just looking to ride the motorcycle and get across the country in the most suitable machine for the job (I know there are TONS of other capable machines) it's just that the KTM 990 has such an amazing pedigree that I wanted to explore more and more about it.
well fucking good for you. Do it!
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #64
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I don't get the fuss about the adv maintenance, it only becomes more of an issue when u ride offroad allot. But everything that is ridden offroad requires more maintenance. If u use it mostly on the road then it's just another common maintenance schedule. It's expensive due to the fairing but still very easy to DIY, so that eliminates that extra cost.

Name me one motorcycle that brings u the same joy of riding with a cheaper running cost.
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote