User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 175
The Western USA by Daytona

Greetings fellow inmates. This is my first “(Pre) Ride Report” but I know how things go around here, so have at it. I have been riding for 3 years and 30,000 miles and I have yet to take a real “road trip.” With the impending loss of vacation (going over the 320 hour limit at the end of the fiscal year), I decided now would be a good time to take one. I have been preparing for just over 4 weeks now and I think I have most of the details sorted. I depart on Saturday, 8 June and am due back by Sunday, 23 June. The plan is 50/50 camping and hotel, but subject to change due to weather, location, and availability.

The Route
THE ROUTE is pretty general as I am prone to wandering. I think I have many good roads and locations chosen, but I have not been to several of these states in any capacity, so suggestions are welcome.

The Bike

It is paid for. It has been serviced (except for valves) and has been gone over with a fine toothed comb. It may not be the “ideal” sport touring bike, but she gets 50+mpg and has never let me down.

The Gear
Luggage
Kriega US-20 + US-10 + US-10
Kriega R-20 Backpack
3L Hydration Pack

Riding Gear
Shoei RF-1100
Dark Tint & Clear Visors
Olympia Nomad Jacket + Liners
Olympia X-Moto Pants + Liner
Olympia Horizon Rain Jacket
Olympia Horizon Rain Pants
Rev'IT! High-Viz Vest
Dianese Gore-Tex Boots
Rev'IT! Gore-Tex Gloves
Olympia Textile Gloves
Glove Liners
Hot Weather Helmet Liner
Cold Weather Balaclava

Clothing

3x Compression Shirts
3x Compression Pants
4x Synthetic Socks
4x Compression Boxers
3x Synthetic T-Shirts
1x Kevlar Riding Jeans
2x Cotton Under-Shirts
2x Cotton T-Shirts
1x Hoodie
Baseball Cap
Scrubs (Sleeping)

Camping Supplies
Northface Sleeping Bag
Sierra Designs 1-Man Gore-Tex Tent
35ft Nylon Cord
Microfiber Washcloth
Microfiber Towel
2x Waterless Bathing Kits
2x Backpacking Sanitation Wipes
Anodized Aluminum Utensils (Fork, Spoon, Knife)

Toiletry Kit
4oz Goldbond Body Powder
4oz Goldbond Foot Powder
4oz Shampoo/Shower/Shave Gel
3oz Gel Deodorant
3oz Woolite
3oz Hand Sanitizer
2.8oz Toothpaste
2.8oz Lotion
2oz Baby Shampoo
1oz Lysol Spray
Toothbrush
Floss Swords
Disposable Razor
Medicated Chap Stick

Medical Supplies
Q-Tips
Advil PM
Aspirin
Benedryl
Antacid
Visine
Neosporin + Pain Reliever
Fabric Adhesive Bandages (Band-Aids)
Gauze Bandages
Medical Tape
Cold Pack
Nitrile Gloves

Motorcycle Supplies

2x MSR 30oz Fuel Tank
7oz Plexus Cleaner
6oz Bel-Ray Chain Lube
3oz WD-40
Slime Air-Compressor
Slime Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge
Stop & Go Tyre Repair Kit
Nelson-Rigg Motorcycle Cover
Xena XX10 Disc Lock + Alarm
Owner's Manual (PDF)
Jumper Cables

Tool Kit

Mag-Lite Flashlight
3/8” Socket Kit
Multi-Bit Screwdriver
8, 10, 11, 12, 13 Spanners
Leatherman Multi-Tool
Allen Wrench Multi-Tool
Electrical Tape
Industrial Zip Ties (Large & Small)
2x Assorted Microfiber Cleaning Towels
2x Cotton Cleaning Cloths
Lens Cleaner
Nitrile Shop Gloves

Personal Items

BlackBerry Bold 9930
Nokia N9 GPS + PMP
BlackBerry PlayBook
Universal AC Adapter
Shure SE425 IEM + Extra Ear Plugs
Sony Digital Camera
Extra Batteries
Battery Charger
Sun Glasses
Visor Cleaner Kit
Laundry Bag
Flask of Canadian Whiskey
Jerky
Protein Bars
Tea Bags
Sharpie Pen
Zip-Lock Bags

Documents

3x ICE Medical Info Cards
Medical Insurance Card
AAA Membership Card
Drivers License
Registration
Insurance Cards

Believe it or not, I can actually fit all of this equipment on the back of a Daytona with room to spare. I will be updating this thread irregularly while on the road.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
slowblood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Cool! I did a trip on my D675 a few years back from SF up the Oregon coast to Portland then back down East of the Cascades. Went off road to see a ghost town too.

You're gonna have a blast!
slowblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Talking a likely tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post

Believe it or not, I can actually fit all of this equipment on the back of a Daytona with room to spare.

~Ex
OK, I'm watching now, show me the pics
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
need pics of you and all that gear lashed up on that little bike!

Sounds fun, Cheers
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wing View Post
OK, I'm watching now, show me the pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
need pics of you and all that gear lashed up on that little bike!

Sounds fun, Cheers
As Requested:

I had to repack everything 3 times to get the weight properly distributed. The bulk of the gear is in the tail bags. My rain gear, Hydropak, and snacks are in the backpack. I only took the tank bag because I wanted a map in front of me.

My father called me last night and told me he is tagging along on his DL1000 as the "Triumph Recovery Vehicle."

Departure in 30 minutes. Updates to follow.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
hoebster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Congrats on taking a long trip. Enjoy the time with your dad. I hope the bike is comfy enough for the long haul. It looks not so comfy for me and leaning over. Keep pics coming.
Jeff
hoebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,262
Daytona fan boy checking in and subscribing.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Day 1: Alamosa to Glenwood Springs

We have arrived safely in Glenwood Springs, CO. We being myself and my father on his 2002 DL1000 Ugly-Strom, aka the Kitchen Sink Carrier.

Day 1 Recap:
Departed Alamosa at 10:00AM after a slow start.

The ride to Walsenburg, CO was chilly and generally uneventful. We headed Northwest to Westcliffe and it was a beautiful ride. Upon arriving at the Subway/Shell for fuel (for us and the bikes), my father suffered a catastrophic luggage failure. He grazed the cement pillar and the seams on the right saddle bag ruptured. Thankfully, none of the gear was damaged. With a few bungie cords sourced from the local ACE Hardware and the bungie net from my luggage, we were back on the road. The rain covers that were helping to protect the gear from the elements lasted about 60 miles before the seams gave up and shredded.

Next stop: Wal-Mart in Salida. I hate Wal-Mart, but they would be a good place to find a suitable replacement for the condemned saddlebags. $15 for a sport duffle bag and a quick stop at O'Reiley's for 2 additional bungie nets and we strapped it all to the Strom and continued on our journey to Independence Pass. Cargo brand luggage. Endurance indeed.

The Pass is closed for 6 Months of each year due to weather issues. I can see why, what with there being 5' snow drifts on the mountain in June. In fact, while taking pictures at the scenic overlook, it started snowing. The snow turned to sleet and it was time to leave.

The road into Aspen, CO is very narrow with lots of blind corners, rough pavement (frost heaves) and few places where the road narrows to 1.5 lanes. This is where I noticed that my luggage was moving around quite a bit. Nothing dangerous, but the straps would need to be checked at the next fuel stop. As it turns out, one of the hooks had come loose from the central bag. Today was not a good day for luggage.

47 miles later we arrived at our destination: The Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs.

The place used to be a sanatorium, and Doc Holiday died here. President Theodore Roosevelt stayed here during his campaign in... Uh... Yeah. It is a beautiful old hotel with a classy ambiance and exceptional wait staff. They told us to park the bikes under the awning near the main entrance. Nice that they are rider friendly here. Our bikes share the space with a small squadron of full dresser HDs.

I will have to post pics at a later date given that I have no way to upload them from my camera. Soon I hope. On a positive note, I managed an average of 56MPG. 326 miles complete, 4674 to go.

Tomorrow we depart for Wyoming by way of Dinosaur, CO and the Flaming Gorge. We'll probably camp for the night, if we can find a place. More updates when I have access to Wi-fi or Cellular tomorrow or Monday.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:47 PM
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
CapFerret
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Very nice bike for a road trip
Have fun!!!
CapFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
man, those 675s are beautiful bikes. definitely subbed your thread as i am planning a similar "big first trip" on my '09 R6 in 2 months (mostly alps - italy, france, switzerland, austria) for about 2-3 weeks, camping included. wish you a lot of fun and no breakdowns / crashes (and no cops )!
travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Day 2: Glenwood Springs to Rock Springs

We left Glenwood Springs without incident. A short shot East on the slab to Rifle, CO. Uneventful. About 10 miles north of Rifle we encountered our first "Pavement Ends Motorcycles Use Extreme Caution" sign. Clearly I had brought the wrong motorcycle. While far from ideal, the Daytona managed the dirt quite well. Thank God for the tractable nature of the Triumph triple as well as my Öhlins Suspension.

After a while the road resumed and we blasted our way up to Dinosaur, CO. We stopped on the west side of town at the Bedrock Depot: a small cafe and gift shop operated by an elderly couple. We shared ice cream and Izzle sodas with a couple of sport tourers from Southern California who were spending the week exploring Colorado's finer areas. One of the gentlemen was rocking a Sprint GT and we both lamented the death of the Sport Touring Market. "You meet the nicest people on a Triumph."

Proceeding east, we headed to the Dinosaur National Monument. Consider it a childhood dream; who doesn't love dinosaurs as a kid? What an awesome place!! A whole wall of bones that were deposited at the bend in a great river. The rock formations in the area are something to behold. (I must apologize again for the lack of pictures. I'll upload a ton when I get back to my PC. DONE!!)

We turned North in Vernal and headed for the Flaming Gorge. Curvy roads, beautiful scenery, and a dam! Who could ask for more. Day 2 was shaping up to be an eventful and lovely day: until the Wyoming border.

Wind. Wind. Wind. All the way to Rock Springs. It would have been a really fun road to ride, but the constant wind was exhausting. Especially on a 400# bike with high-mounted luggage. And my arse hurts. The Saddleman seat is a significant improvement over stock, but it still gets old.

Lots of hills and sweepers, at least until "Pavement Ends." Only this time we're stuck behind the slowest cement truck in the world. If only I was joking. (Maintaining 5MPH in the wind: yay.)

Finally back to the interstate and sweet pavement. A short shot east to Rock Springs, WY. And now I have a plan to fix my seat. I'll sort it out in the morning. Pizza Hut was in walking distance and I'm spent.

~Ex

Sorry for the slow reports, I am just trying to keep up with the riding and navigation.
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:53 PM
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Day 3: Rock Springs to...

First thing is first: the Mega-sore-ass. Located an auto-parts place about 3 blocks from the hotel where I managed to pick up a sheepskin (car) seat cover. With a pair of scissors, some industrial strength Velcro, and about 30 minutes... A well fitted sheepskin seat cover (in grey) for $50. No way of knowing of this will work.

Packed and loaded up, we slab down I-80. Boring. North up US-30. Boring and Windy until lunch in Star Canyon. We stopped at a small diner called Tootsie's. The service was good and the food was great. The atmosphere was top notch and full of local flair: books by local writers and a post card about investing precious metals: Lead, Copper, and Brass with pictures of various bullets.

Back on the road towards Jackson Hole and the National Parks. Traffic was a nightmare in Jackson Hole. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Too many people.

Headed north towards Yellowstone, the Teton Range stands stoic on our left. Easily the most majestic displays of nature I have seen. Unfortunately, I was not able to enjoy the scenery much due to the distracted cagers in RVs. I did manage a few good "rolling shots" of the mountains during the ride to enjoy (and post) later on.

Next stop: Yellowstone. I was shocked to discover that it costs $20 per bike to access the park. I suppose it was worth the price of admission to experience the geysers and sulfur springs. Now getting there was a whole different story. With all of the road work, including yet another unpaved section of the road, Yellowstone ended up being a 140 mile traffic jam. By the time we arrived at the Lodge and Old Faithful, I had had enough of people. Both hands were sore from the endless gas/brake/clutch dance, and the other drivers were very inconsiderate. They were often going 10-15 MPH below the posted limit, only speeding up to prevent passing in the very few passing zones, or they tailgated and passed dangerously close on double yellow lines. Wankers.

The Lodge was magnificent and the boardwalk through the sulfur pools was really something to see. None of my pictures do it justice. We even got to see Old Faithful and one other geyser erupt. Super cool. I highly recommend the journey if you have the chance. Leaving the main area late and the buffalo wandering the roads out of the park resulted in nightfall even before we reached the town of West Yellowstone, Montana. That would be our stop for the night, putting us 80 miles behind schedule and $150 over budget for the hotel that night. I think we should have camped in the park instead, but it was too late to go back. Tomorrow we head out for Lewiston, ID.

On a positive note: the seat cover worked wonderfully. Just enough cushion and grip to reduce arse fatigue.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:52 PM
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Existence_Inc OP
The Wanderer

Day 4: West Yellowstone to Lewiston, ID

I'm working to get caught up. Forgive the late updates.

Leaving Western Yellowstone is uneventful. The road north to Bozeman, MT sits down in a ravine beside a river. Tall trees and the sounds of rushing water are very relaxing and the traffic is light. A great opportunity to stretch the bike out in the gentle sweepers, that is, until the construction begins. "Loose Gravel" "Motorcycles Use Extreme Caution."

This is becoming a theme for this trip. Yet another long, unpaved road on the Daytona. Thankfully, my comfort level and confidence in the bike has increased with all of the dirt riding I have done, so I am able to keep a quick pace between Stop Sign bearers and One Lane stop lights.

Upon reaching the outskirts of Bozeman, we head for the Interstate. The horizon is dark and cloudy, and rain will be on the ticket for today. With a storm looming in the distance, we pulled off at a truck stop to top off the tanks and don the rain gear.

I'm extremely thankful for the Pilot Road 3 tyres and my Olympia rain gear. I was kept warm, dry, and in control for the duration.

Headed west down US-12 from Lolo, MT, we run into more construction. Grated roads are only slightly better than gravel roads. If you don't know about the "Lolo Highway" or US-12, then I'll give you a brief rundown. It is 100+ miles of windy roads, mostly tracing the path of river, all the way to Lewiston, ID.

As great as this road sounds (and it is), you must bring your A-Game. The trek is exhausting and there is a significant risk of deer on the road. I saw several during my run. I had to be extra careful to ride within my comfort and skill limits and give myself any additional cushion I could. Thankfully, we completed the trek without incident.

Toward the latter half of the Lolo Highway, another 9 miles of grated pavement and gravel. And with Lewiston, ID finally in sight, I was ready to be off of the bike. My back hurts and my knees are killing me. I am currently working on a list of essential needs for my next bike. Leg room, better ergos, real luggage space, and some real weather protection top the list.

We made the planned ~430 Miles + the ~80 Miles we had to make up. A load of laundry (washed in the sink) and 5 hours of sleep, and I'll be ready to go again tomorrow! Next stop, Bellingham, WA!

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS

Existence_Inc screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 09:54 PM
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Thanks for the report. I have ridden many of those roads in the summer & share your frustration. It seems they have two seasons there--Winter & Road Construction.... When you said you hated the traffic in Jackson & were headed to Yellowstone, I'm thinking you're really gonna hate that--sure enough.... I've done Chief Joseph & Beartooth but skipped Yellowstone. I'll look at someone else's pictures, thank you.

You have some great roads ahead of you. Enjoy the ride & thanks for taking us along.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Sounds like you are a I are experiencing roughly the same trip at the same time with the same gear.

I just passed to the north of you towards Alberta from San Francisco. I too am on a sport-type bike with 80/20 motel camping. Kriega US20 and US10(x2) with a tankbag and Camelback.

Good times!

Miguel