User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 488
In Amsterdam for half a day

I will have a longish layover in Amsterdam this coming Wednseday, Oct 31. My plane comes at 9:15 in the morning, and I will have to return to the airport around 13:30-14:00 for my next flight.

Does anyone have advise what to do around in Amsterdam in such a short time interval? I'd prefer not to spend time at the airport--I am planning to catch the train and see some of the city, even if it is just for a few hours.

Where (which stop) should I get off the train in Amsterdam? To admit, i don't even know where to catch the train at Schiphol..
Any advise what to do and see?

Many thanks in advance. If anyone wants to get together that early in the day, I'd be happy to buy drinks.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
It's been a few years but here you go....

- The trains run from the inside airport - just follow the signs, I "think" you need to go a floor or two.
- Not sure what the central station name is, but remember it being pretty obvious!
- Van Gough museum I found more interesting/enjoyable than the Rijksmuseum, but that's personal choice. Also the VG can be done as long or as short as you like. The Rijksmuseum seems to take forever to get round it all.
- Walk around the canals, have a coffee (no, not from one of "those" coffee shops )
- chill out.

cheers

Markie
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Delta_T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
- Not sure what the central station name is, but remember it being pretty obvious!
It is called "Centraal Station"

and it is Van Gogh (without the U)

Depending on the weather you could consider doing the canals, visit the Anne Frank house, hang out on 'De Dam'
Delta_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
sasho OP
Dual Personality

thank you so much for your suggestions, I appreciate your advise and intent to use all of it!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_T View Post
It is called "Centraal Station"
That'll be it!!

Quote:
and it is Van Gogh (without the U)
Doh - sorry fella.

Quote:
Depending on the weather you could consider doing the canals, visit the Anne Frank house, hang out on 'De Dam'
I did a canal trip with Mrs Markie - there were about 12 HUGE Irish rugby guys on there we got chatting to. They asked if they'd be safe in the red light district, I am not sure they realised just how that many big, fit blokes look to an outsider! Was an OK way to spend an hour, but preferred just idly walking round to be honest.

cheers

Markie
Old 10-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
serialcee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Centraal station it is indeed. Trains leave schiphol about every 15 minutes and take around 10 minutes to the centre. Van Gogh is temporarily closed (moved to The Hermitage), but the New Stedelijk (just around the corner) is supposed to be good. The rijksmuseum has a somewhat smaller exhibition right now, but it still might be a little too much for a morning. For all these museums you'll have to get to the Museumplein (museum square).

If you're more tino modern stuff, the Foam (Photography museum - http://www.foam.org) is pretty neat and compact enough.

Info on public transport: http://en.gvb.nl/pages/home.aspx

If the weather's any good I'd rent a bike (bicycle) and have some fun around town, it's all very small and compact and in a weird way even Adventurous ;-)

I have to work unfortunately, enjoy the Dam!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialcee View Post
Centraal station it is indeed. Trains leave schiphol about every 15 minutes and take around 10 minutes to the centre. Van Gogh is temporarily closed (moved to The Hermitage), but the New Stedelijk (just around the corner) is supposed to be good. The rijksmuseum has a somewhat smaller exhibition right now, but it still might be a little too much for a morning. For all these museums you'll have to get to the Museumplein (museum square).

If you're more tino modern stuff, the Foam (Photography museum - http://www.foam.org) is pretty neat and compact enough.

Info on public transport: http://en.gvb.nl/pages/home.aspx

If the weather's any good I'd rent a bike (bicycle) and have some fun around town, it's all very small and compact and in a weird way even Adventurous ;-)

I have to work unfortunately, enjoy the Dam!
Hank youagain for the suggestions-sounds pretty simple to get to town from the airport and take a quick look.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
sasho OP
Dual Personality

Sorry for the awfull misspells--I was typing from my phone.
Amsterdam was amazing. I toured the canals, ate a delicious lunch and drank tripel

Didn't get a chance to eat a brownie but oh well. I think the tripel more than made up for it. Thank you all for your help!!