ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #301
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
Hey, heads up that there's a band tonight, starting at 8:30pm Cover charge is $5 Dunno what type of music

Tim is gonna try and get a table upstairs, so Steez, look for single guy drinking his sorrows alone upstairs

SquirrelyGrl screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 11:57 AM
SquirrelyGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #302
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDog View Post
What kind of gear are you wearing for these rides. I'm in Ooltewah off Hunter Road. I just got a Sherpa 250 for wifey and picked up an XL650 for myself a couple of weeks ago. We havent been in the woods for a few years. We'll join up on some of these rides in a few weeks (March) once we get past the cold weather. I'm too old to intentionally punish myself by freezing my azz off. Plus I'll have to listen to her complain too
Any gear recommendations. I've got some Oneil MX boots, We've still got our street bikes so we've got street helmets, gloves, textile jackets, Kevlar jeans, etc. What is good stuff for the woods and trails?? Economical or middle of the road stuff will be fine. Remember, there are two of us to buy for.
I ride an XR650L and mostly ride the Cohutta Wilderness. Prentice on occasion, but it takes me an hour from East Brainerd to get there. Have ridden Houston Valley several times but can't keep pace with the true mx bikes.

Gear selection is mostly personal preference, but I really like Klim gear. I have the Dakar (3 season) and Mojave (summer) pants. These two come with foam pads for knees and hips, but those pads provide very marginal impact protection. The pants are very comfortable and very adjustable. I also wear knee/shin pads under the pants with mid-high boots. The mid boots seem to be more comfortable for long rides. I've ridden with several guys on this forum and have had numerous all day 10 plus hour rides... My mid boots are made by Thor.
I'm probably under-protected on the upper torso, but I just use a mesh jacket with built-in shoulder, elbow, and spine foam/pads.
Helmets: Most of the guys I ride with use the Arai adventure styles. I recently switched to a Shark Evo modular and love it. Its a roadie helmet, but works fine. Plus, it has a drop down sunshade which is invaluable on a West bound ride back home after a long day of riding.

If you need gear its worth visiting Tellico Moto in Tellico Plains. The owner is named Mike. His prices will beat any I've ever seen. He also knows just about every trail in SE Tennessee and does periodic trail maintenance on the Unicoi trail 81 and 82. Its winter, so, his shop is on limited hours/days right now. Email him and he will order whatever you want. Its worth the trip to buy from him. (Trust me on that. I don't think he can legally advertise some of his deals, but I've always paid less than any internet price when buying through him.)

Speaking of winter, I don't ride in the cold either. March will be here soon... Stay tuned...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #303
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,229
Great advice for the gear and info! here is the link Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #304
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
Upstairs at Honest Pint, far back pool table farthest from street near the dart boards. Come on out everyone!

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
DriftDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #305
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDragon View Post
Upstairs at Honest Pint, far back pool table farthest from street near the dart boards. Come on out everyone!
I wish! Drinkin a shot o Patron with you guys and gals.

Under construction
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #306
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,082
Ride Sunday

Hey folks,
I'm riding in north Georgia Sunday, if anyone's interested. Weather is supposed to be sunny and temps close to 50. I guess the BP station at E. Brainerd and Ooltewah-RInggold is becoming a standard, so we'll meet there at 9:30AM. Kickstands up shortly thereafter. Ride will be 75% pavement, through Fort Mtn to Amicalola Falls, then back to Chattanooga in a more northerly fashion. We should be back in Chattanooga 5ish. Off-pavement sections will be gravel/dirt, nothing technical, knobbies not required.

I'll have a pillion, so my pace will be relaxed. Faster guys can feel free to leave me in the dust. Bring what you got (within reason); nobody left behind. We may lunch somewhere, but bring water and snacks anyway.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #307
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
Hey folks,
I'm riding in north Georgia Sunday, if anyone's interested. Weather is supposed to be sunny and temps close to 50. I guess the BP station at E. Brainerd and Ooltewah-RInggold is becoming a standard, so we'll meet there at 9:30AM. Kickstands up shortly thereafter. Ride will be 75% pavement, through Fort Mtn to Amicalola Falls, then back to Chattanooga in a more northerly fashion. We should be back in Chattanooga 5ish. Off-pavement sections will be gravel/dirt, nothing technical, knobbies not required.

I'll have a pillion, so my pace will be relaxed. Faster guys can feel free to leave me in the dust. Bring what you got (within reason); nobody left behind. We may lunch somewhere, but bring water and snacks anyway.
I'll meet ya in Chatsworth...

Under construction
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #308
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 893
Hey Kirk!

I'm committed to a comic book show this weekend, otherwise I would love to ride on Sunday with everyone.

Tim & AB & Steve ~ Great hanging out at the Honest Pint! It was a lot of fun.

Y'all have fun and take lots of pics!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #309
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDog View Post
What kind of gear are you wearing for these rides. I'm in Ooltewah off Hunter Road. I just got a Sherpa 250 for wifey and picked up an XL650 for myself a couple of weeks ago. We havent been in the woods for a few years. We'll join up on some of these rides in a few weeks (March) once we get past the cold weather. I'm too old to intentionally punish myself by freezing my azz off. Plus I'll have to listen to her complain too
Any gear recommendations. I've got some Oneil MX boots, We've still got our street bikes so we've got street helmets, gloves, textile jackets, Kevlar jeans, etc. What is good stuff for the woods and trails?? Economical or middle of the road stuff will be fine. Remember, there are two of us to buy for.

KLIM is what I wear but that is not middle of the road price structure by anyone's standard. I would call Olympia more middle of the road and Mike has that at the best prices you will find as well as the KLIM gear. He also has some decent low end gear and if I had two to buy for I might be buying in that price
range myself.

Definitely get yourself over to moto telico and ask mike. He will not point you astray once you tell him your price range. Keep in mind he has reduced winter hours so call ahead or pm him on here. His handle is motomike.

I think Todd is our resident expert on stretching your riding dollar though. He is always showing off great gear he got a amazing prices.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #310
DriftDragon
Wanderer

It was great seeing everyone last night! I wish more had made it out. Ab showed his better side and she is way cuter and far less fuzzy and sweet as can be right up until she gets a poolstick... then that sweet smile is still there but looks a little like a shark grinning at you from certain angles!

Good to meet a brother as well. Semper Fi Steez! Get that bike!

And of course its always good to see our pirate princess sword fighting ballet dancer too!

You guys missed out if you did not make it. just saying.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #311
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
Thanks for the great time last night! I showed up not knowing anyone and by the end of the night felt as if I had known each of you for quite a while.

Definitely trying to figure a way to get the bike asap. But if this weather keeps up...

Looking forward to next time! And to getting that drink again! (What was it, by the way? You guys remember?)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #312
DriftDragon
Wanderer

Nutty Irishman.

2003 KTM 525 EXC RFS
Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #313
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,088
Anybody riding tomorrow?
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #314
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Hey folks,

Kinda late now, but here ya go, Mike.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #315
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Kinda late now, but here ya go, Mike.
Twisty is a dumb ass I just assumed the fucker could read...

Under construction