ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #496
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Ride Report

I put the word out in both this and the DOG thread for an epic best of north GA dual sport ride Sunday. Squirrelly girl was the only rider who showed up. This was great because she is fun to ride with and she won't bail in the middle of the ride, like some "Gnarly Adventurers". We headed down to Eton and then over to 52 via the dirt of Mulberry Gap, thus skipping Chatsworth and the gravelly corners of Fort Mountain. After riding through Ellijay, we took Big Creek road to Doublehead Gap. Then we turned onto FS58 (Noontootlah road), which parallels Noontootlah Creek. It's hard to pay attention to the rock strewn dirt ahead when you have a rushing creek peppered with many waterfalls directly to your right.

We climbed in elevation until the ridge top and then descended on FS77 (Winding Stair Gap road). After hanging a left onto FS16 (Coopers Gap road) we rode back up the mountain past the Ranger camp to FS42, which we took all the way to Suches.

We stopped at the Suches gas station (which will always be known as
Dale's to us who have been going there for years) for Squirrelly to gas up her bike. While she was taking care of business at the pump, some kid came over and asked me about riding trails in the area. He had a KLX250 and I invited him follow us down Flatlands road, which isn't really a road unless you have something with high clearance, locking hubs, and a transfer case. The three of us had a great time riding Flatlands and Cooper Creek back to 180.
The kid, who was a spitting image of Andy Samberg from SNL, split back to Suches. We continued on 180 over Wolf Pen Gap before a quick jaunt on 129.

Then we took the fun route over to Richard Russell Parkway via Helton Creek Falls. We had a great run on the twisty bits of 348 before slowing down for some cages towards the end, before continuing on to Helen for a late lunch. Our arrival was perfectly timed because the crowds were smaller and we were able to park directly in front of the Hog Pen Cafe, where we ate outside on the deck. After a filling lunch, we rode FS79(Tray Mtn road) which had a downed tree on the back side of the mountain across the trail.

I had no problem popping the front wheel over it but the skid plate was high centered which made getting the rear over it a challenge. After a hefty push and some tire spinning the bike made it over, but the tree was missing some bark.

After reaching the bottom, we got onto 356 before heading north on 197 past Lake Burton, which is a sinuous ribbon of asphalt. We crossed 76 onto Popcorn road for the final stretch of dirt and lots of creek crossings.

When we got to the Tallulah River it was obvious that it was deeper and swifter than usual. Squirrelly Girl rode across it without dabbing, taking the drier line to the left of the arc.

Then the Tiger made it across, but the water came over my right boot and soaked that foot good. Dang that water was cold! We continued on Charlie Creek road (which is really a jeep trail) for several miles. Then I rode the Tiger into a ditch, while trying to go around a large puddle.

It turns out the ditch was deeper than the puddle, stopping the Tiger dead in it's tracks.

I jumped off and laughed at the ridiculousness of the situation. The bike was buried up to the axles in stank nasty muck.

Squirrelly Girl volunteered to push while I rode it out. Unfortunately, she got to experience the literal meaning of "Mud in your eye". The bike made it out in true Ditch Witch style, opening up a new drainage channel for the stagnant ditch water. We finished up the dirt portion of our ride on Hightower road before it dumped us out onto 76. While coming to the stop sign there, I noticed the foul stench of the bike (or the rider) was overpowering. Squirrelly commented on my state of nastiness too and she was four feet away. We rode the 288 bypass around Hiawassee before zipping down the two lanes to Brasstown, NC.

I spotted Clay's Corner Market and parked the bike there. Clay's has a a garden hose which got put to good use removing the nasty muck. It is also famous for the New Years Eve possum drop, which some of you may have read about recently in the DOG thread. After the bike wash we continued on the back roads until coming out onto 64 at Deckers Flea Market. We had a good run through the Ocoee gorge and got around a group of 3 cars in the only passing zone for miles. Later on, just a few miles from home, Squirrelly Girl did her best Dieter dance with Sprockets.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #497
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888
Tuna ~ you volunteering to be my Captain on the pit crew?

I should post pics of my original sprocket set.
I ordered my parts today. I kinda wish I hadn't. I wanted to get everything OEM, but I ordered stuff from TPI. Bob got me a Parts Unlimited front Sprocket and a J T rear, DID chain.
Anyone have an opinion about Parts Unlimited sprockets?

Oh, and Monte ! Great day! Great job on the RR as well.
Here's what I got:

Old 03-19-2013, 12:55 PM   #498
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Helton Creek Falls crossing

Outside the Hog Pen in Helen

Super shiny clean reflection;

Monte crossing the Tallulah River;

Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #499
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Sludge.....................

Clean!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #500
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Nice ride!

I like how you are collecting river samples to get tested... LOL... looked like good dirty fun!
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #501
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

@ good dog now, if anyone wants to join
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #502
Troutrider
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Nice ride reports and pics. Good on young Squirrel for hanging with Monte. I know how his pace can be. Some of those trails are new to me. Might have to tag along some time.

Troutrider

"Ride like you want to get up and do it again tomorrow"
Troutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #503
WarriorDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
@ good dog now, if anyone wants to join

That's my Avatar I use on some Forums

A collective cowardice called Political Correctness has slowly stifled American Pride with a liberal brainwashing of shame and guilt.
WarriorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #504
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Cool beans WarriorDog. They had Chatt Brew Co on tap there. Todd, Lance and I went there instead of Brewhaus, b/c they were having Trivia that night. Couldn't get a table or hear ourselves talk about motorbikes and upcoming stuff.

You should come out sometime!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #505
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Anyone going to the Pyndon thing this Saturday? In Murfreesboro?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #506
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Anyone going to the Pyndon thing this Saturday? In Murfreesboro?
I wanted to, but the date got changed after I already made reservations in the Redneck Alps for this weekend. Hopefully, the kids will get to see some snow in the Smokies.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #507
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Cool!!! Snow!!!! Awesome you guys are going to the Smokies!

I'm thinking of heading to Murfreesboro and I have a cousin who lives in Nashville. I'm hoping to have a tent space.
I'm wanting to get away this weekend myself. So it may be a metro adventure, but hopefully it'll work out.

Anyone have anything cool about Nashville ? And no............. Not the coyote ugly bar (I've already been there )

I hear Franklin is a cool place and maybe some back roads? Or are they all straight?
Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #508
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Anyone have anything cool about Nashville ? And no............. Not the coyote ugly bar (I've already been there )

I hear Franklin is a cool place and maybe some back roads? Or are they all straight?

Squirrely.. PM ihatefalling about the Hickman route near Franklin, TN (about 20 miles south of Nashville). That's a cool route.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #509
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Thanks Dr. Z!

How are you and the Missus?

You guys coming to the Beaver in April?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #510
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Thanks Dr. Z!

How are you and the Missus?

You guys coming to the Beaver in April?

All is good!

Can't do the Beaver in April! Not enough vacation time.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote