ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 AM   #736
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 887
Woot! Ya, you shoulda just showed up anytime Trout! We're staying another night in Flaming Gorge and then moving on towards Moab. Believe it or not, every motel was full for 20 miles b/c of a film festival :( stupid punks. But we get to ride a bit more tho!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #737
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 280
Flaming Gorge is frickin awesome. Not sure how much more playing you get to do, but if you are heading south, Capitol Reef is pretty awesome. There are lots of dirt/sand roads in the area that are fun.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #738
Mtn^^West^^DS
Mtn West Dual Sport

Oddometer: 17
How did your Colorado Trip turn out???

Hello... We met on the Mineral Creek Trail in Colorado on Wednesday, September 25th. I was just coming down from Engineer Pass and you were on your way up. That was a lot of fun to visit with you. I finished up the week of riding Colorado and am back home now. Hope the weather cooperated for you and the rest of your trip. Looking forward to hearing about your ride.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #739
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Hey! Ya the DR guy! Ya we didn't head up to the Engineer Pass. We got caught by a California ninny & his wifey in a Jeep, they assumed they were lost and & tried to convince us we were lost. Instead we checked out the Ghost town just down the road, just past Cinnamon Pass. Lots of traffic after you came thru. Cinnamon wasn't too bad, I was worried they may be more than what my 200 could handle.

I'll post a RR on my Daily Trippin thread, if they haven't deleted it yet

T-Bills! I liked Flaming Gorge! We didn't have time for the Capital Reef tho did you ride thru when you went in Summer?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #740
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 73
Places to ride?

With all the parks closed I am curious to know some more options for riding. I am located in Chattanooga. Know about Prentice Cooper already.

Suggestions? Dirt/road but more offroad.

Riding with some guys on Honda 650 xlr and a Yamaha wr250. I'm on a KTM 350.
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #741
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyGrl View Post
T-Bills! I liked Flaming Gorge! We didn't have time for the Capital Reef tho did you ride thru when you went in Summer?
I went thru both of those areas on my trip. The road to Flaming Gorge by the mine was frickin sweet. Nothing like hairpin sweepers . Especially when you have 10 of them in a couple of miles! I played a decent bit in the dirt at Capitol Reef until I started getting too deep in sand. Something about a big touring bike with street tires doesn't agree with lots of sand.

Some of my favorite pictures are from Cap Reef

Heading to Barber tomorrow! I'll be in campground B.

t-bills screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 05:47 PM Reason: Idioting
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #742
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
With all the parks closed I am curious to know some more options for riding. I am located in Chattanooga. Know about Prentice Cooper already.

Part of Aetna Mtn is still open for riding. Edwards Point. Franklin State Forest has a few trails. Houston Valley. Beasley Knob ORV in Blairsville. Coppinger Cove in Sequatchie. Estill Fork and Skyline WMA over in north Alabama. Little River Canyon WMA. None of these are close to a KTM dealer, so bring a trailer.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #743
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:

I'll be doing a quick dawn patrol woods ride up on Signal. Probably head out around 7:30 is and be back at around 11. I'll unofficially be getting gas across from the dollar store around that time, so if you want to go, just be in the Dollar General parking lot across the street (on Taft hwy). I'll be on a KTM.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #744
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 73
Government shutdown options

Thanks for the offers and suggestions.

Houston Valley is closed and Prentice was closed due to hunting session.
But we discovered Windy Gap and Rock Creek near Fort Mtn. Both were like Houston Valley but more secluded and a bit more challenging (= fun!)

I highly recommend both places. We avoided one section on Windy Gap - due to my riding buddies past bad experience... but the day was awesome and the riding a blast!

Our only casualty was mine - and that was in the first 30 feet of our ride. I pulled a hard wheelie showing off - and it got away from me.. I busted my tailight lense and bruised my butt and ego a bit... My buddies said it gives the KTM some "character" - ha!

-Doulos
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #745
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Thanks for the offers and suggestions.

Houston Valley is closed and Prentice was closed due to hunting session.
But we discovered Windy Gap and Rock Creek near Fort Mtn. Both were like Houston Valley but more secluded and a bit more challenging (= fun!)

I highly recommend both places. We avoided one section on Windy Gap - due to my riding buddies past bad experience... but the day was awesome and the riding a blast!

Our only casualty was mine - and that was in the first 30 feet of our ride. I pulled a hard wheelie showing off - and it got away from me.. I busted my tailight lense and bruised my butt and ego a bit... My buddies said it gives the KTM some "character" - ha!

-Doulos
Windy Gap/Milna/Tibbs trails are awesome. I presume you avoided the motorcycle only portion of Windy Gap, but you really shouldn't be afraid of it. It only has one bad section and you can get off and walk it through. The rest of it is some awesome single track. I actually think the stair steps on Tibbs are harder. I just wish the single track were longer.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #746
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
Part of Aetna Mtn is still open for riding. Edwards Point. Franklin State Forest has a few trails. Houston Valley. Beasley Knob ORV in Blairsville. Coppinger Cove in Sequatchie. Estill Fork and Skyline WMA over in north Alabama. Little River Canyon WMA. None of these are close to a KTM dealer, so bring a trailer.
I went thru Little River Canyon on Friday. They had everything blocked off for the shutdown. Somebody had come along and "reopened" some of the overlooks and parking lots. I'm not very familiar with the area seeing as that was my first time, so if the trails are part of a WMA instead of the national park itself, they may be open. Aside from all of that mess, what a beautiful place!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #747
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Champy's Chicken
This Thursday Night! 7:00 pm

Open for anyone to have some fried chicken & talk about their trips in the past couple months.

Also ~ ABHulgan & I & Todd are camping this Friday & Saturday (Nov. 1 & 2) night at Tellico, in the North River Campground.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #748
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Hey guys. I am curious to know what your winters are like down in chattanooga. Are u riding year round ? How cold does it get ? Any snow ? alot of rain ? I'm looking into moving into the area next year. We are looking at Knoxville, chattanooga, Asheville , and Greenville. Thanx for the help. Seems like a great city. Making a trip down in spring to check it out. I'll have to see if anyone wants to take us on a good ride
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #749
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
oh,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
Hey guys. I am curious to know what your winters are like down in chattanooga. Are u riding year round ? How cold does it get ? Any snow ? alot of rain ? I'm looking into moving into the area next year. We are looking at Knoxville, chattanooga, Asheville , and Greenville. Thanx for the help. Seems like a great city. Making a trip down in spring to check it out. I'll have to see if anyone wants to take us on a good ride

lol,, all depends where you go... if you wounder what they mean by scattered thunder storms,,please come on down and see...

never can tell about the snow=normally not too bad...fyi main problem is damn for those salt trucks we have round here..

today was great rideing weather (i'm bit south of ashville) close to ga on nc/sc state line !!!

but greenville/spartenburg/anderson or ga is where we go, ride in winter. both less then hr from house and least 15degrees warmer = yes if ya get off the top the mtn an go into flatland.
always warmer south!!!!!!!!!!

good luck tho..
localmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #750
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Thanks for the reply. I know that's a tough question. It has to be better than my winter in Iowa :( And I'm starting to realize. Asheville stays alot cooler and wet being up in the mountains. We love it there. I hesitate about it just being to much of a tourism center and the hippies eventually just being to much But we would like to be close. The noog. Seems like a great city with towns like Asheville and Nashville being a few hour drives each way
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote