ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #856
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Meetup spot for tomorrow's cabin fever ride is the BP gas station on Signal Mtn blvd up the street from the Komatsu factory at 1:30pm. This will be a short street ride of 2-3 hours and will include a coffee stop or two.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #857
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #858
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Meetup spot for tomorrow's cabin fever ride is the BP gas station on Signal Mtn blvd up the street from the Komatsu factory at 1:30pm. This will be a short street ride of 2-3 hours and will include a coffee stop or two.
Due to 2 rider bailouts this ride has been cancelled/changed. TN3Sport and I are leaving in a few minutes from his place.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 01-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #859
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 268
Damnit! I was going to be there. Glad I checked before rolling out.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #860
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
Damnit! I was going to be there. Glad I checked before rolling out.
Sure you were-I bet you're still at home sucking down lattes.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 AM   #861
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHooligan View Post
Sure you were-I bet you're still at home sucking down lattes.
Eating lunch and suiting up. I'm <10 minutes from the abandoned rendezvous. Goin solo in just a few.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #862
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
Eating lunch and suiting up. I'm <10 minutes from the abandoned rendezvous. Goin solo in just a few.
Sorry man, but by 10 this morning, 2 out of three who expressed interest bailed. So TN3Sport (who lives just up the hill)and I decided to go early instead of riding 20 miles out of our way for a short no show ride. PM me your cell and I'll put you on the rider call/text list for next time.

We ended up doing 242 miles and were gone from 11:30 to 6:30.

Lunch stop at the Tellicafe.

Pulloff on the back side of Fort Mountain before descending into Chatsworth.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #863
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Pulloff on the back side of Fort Mountain before descending into Chatsworth.

You guys were sitting there when we came back across Fort Mountain from the cabin yesterday afternoon.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #864
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 891
From the Day Trip yesterday romping around in Sequatchie Valley / Grassy Cove

Looks like a Tiger fell ;

Hooligan had a hard time getting over this hump with a tire that had 7k that's street oriented;

Spot where we had to turn around at, the steel cable wasn't very inviting;

Good views of the Plateau all day;

Making sure Hooligan was still back there;

Hooligan upset that he lost a Cheeto behind the fence;

Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #865
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

That old grave yard looks familiar.

It looks like the one on the side of the jeep road that goes to the top of Hinch Mountain where this FAA facility is located.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #866
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 891
Too true! It is!

I've never been back there before & the road to the "Road" up to the FAA Tower I've been on once when Hooligan and I did the TN TAT a few years ago.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #867
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176

See that ridge in the background of this photo?
We are planning to ride it on dual-sport bikes. (RockCreek OHV goes along that ridge, under a forest canopy. Winter is about the only time you can see through the tree canopy.)

The forecast is looking good for Sunday.

Flight Plan:
Sunday January 26, 2014.
Ride will start at 10am from the Hardees in Chattsworth.
Route is about 90% two-track in OHV areas. We'll ride about 7 miles down Old Federal road to the start at RockCreek OHV. Then through it to Tatum Lead. Link up to Windy Gap OHV via Conasuaga rd. Windy Gap OHV has some excellent riding. Then, attempt the climb on Tibbs trail to Lake Conasauga. Then, from there take FS roads to Rocky Flats OHV (an out and back). Finally, follow FS roads out of the Cohutta Wilderness to Crandall (just a few miles from Hardees)

Note: Its all two track and could be traversed on a big bike (1200GS etc), but it depends on how wet it is. Most of these trails were groomed a couple months ago, but its been a wet winter so far.
There is a section of Tibbs Trail in Windy Gap OHV that has not been groomed, in years....
Its about a 2 mile section that connects Windy Gap OHV to Lake Conasuaga rec area. This section is very nasty and technical. I did it once on my XR650L during the summer and it took at least an hour. No real way to bypass this section. So, if you choose not to do it (big bikes), it means you just turn around and go back the way you came. The only other option is to bush-hog the old Windy Gap trail within the Windy Gap OHV. That would get you to the Lake, but it hasn't been used in years. (I've never successfully completed that route. But honestly, have not tried in a couple years.) It could be an option worth exploring.

The ride will be blackhawk down. So, if you flat or breakdown, everyone will stop to help. I'll be on my XR650L. Expect about 3 to 4 hours total.

TN3Sport screwed with this post 01-26-2014 at 05:08 AM
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #868
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,783
I'd love to take my GS up Rock Creek/Tatum Lead but I guess need to wait on drier conditions since I'm running Tourances front and rear.

Years ago you could go all the way from Tatum Lead at the top of Fort to Hwy 282/76 which is the next main hwy south of 52/2.

I'd also like to try the Hells Hollow loop in the big pig too, but again needs to be drier first.

And one more place, Wolf Pen Gap in Gilmer county, not the one on 180. The one in Gilmer Co. links Flat Branch Rd with Zion Hill Rd which our weekend cabin is on. From what people have told me it is pretty rough in the unmaintained section and there is also a pretty deep creek crossing.

One more thing, I'm guessing all the approach roads to Lake Conasauga are closed until mid-March so if you go all the way up Windy Gap trail there's probably no other choice back down the mountain other than back down the trail. USFS office in Chatsworth should be able to tell you for certain if the roads are gated at this time or not.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #869
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
I'd love to take my GS up Rock Creek/Tatum Lead but I guess need to wait on drier conditions since I'm running Tourances front and rear.

Years ago you could go all the way from Tatum Lead at the top of Fort to Hwy 282/76 which is the next main hwy south of 52/2.

I'd also like to try the Hells Hollow loop in the big pig too, but again needs to be drier first.

And one more place, Wolf Pen Gap in Gilmer county, not the one on 180. The one in Gilmer Co. links Flat Branch Rd with Zion Hill Rd which our weekend cabin is on. From what people have told me it is pretty rough in the unmaintained section and there is also a pretty deep creek crossing.

One more thing, I'm guessing all the approach roads to Lake Conasauga are closed until mid-March so if you go all the way up Windy Gap trail there's probably no other choice back down the mountain other than back down the trail. USFS office in Chatsworth should be able to tell you for certain if the roads are gated at this time or not.
You could likely do the Windy Gap/Tatum sections on the GS. I was out there a month ago and there's no water or serious mud issues. Lots of loose rocks, but doable. It was recently resurfaced. However, Windy Gap would be a no go.

I knew the FS closed roads east of Potato Patch Mtn so the turkeys could copulate in peace for three months...

You bring up a good point about that little 1/2 mile approach road to Lake Conasauga being closed. Might have to slide the bikes under that bar... Going back down Tibbs would be tough.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #870
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,066
I may join you guys, but why such a late start?
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote