ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #946
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 260
Back on the bike today. Life can go on.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #947
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Hey, just moved to the area from up around Cookeville. Haven't been on ADV in awhile. I'm hoping to get my bike down here before too long and be riding eventually. I look forward to running into a few of you FF's.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #948
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Love your forum name. Welcome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #949
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
can anyone assist me in rebuilding my carb? The bike sat for about 11 months as I could not ride in 2013. I did drain the bowl and tank before storing. Ran down my battery tonight trying to get it fired. I have spark and compression. Think maybe the jets got gummed up. I can pick up any necessary parts as long as I know what to get. Thank you for any and all help in advance.

Christian

I can supply beer..lol
Old 02-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #950
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpass View Post
can anyone assist me in rebuilding my carb? The bike sat for about 11 months as I could not ride in 2013. I did drain the bowl and tank before storing. Ran down my battery tonight trying to get it fired. I have spark and compression. Think maybe the jets got gummed up. I can pick up any necessary parts as long as I know what to get. Thank you for any and all help in advance.

Christian

I can supply beer..lol
Before doing a rebuild or messing with the carb, I would pull the petcock from the tank and make sure its not clogged or varnished over from old fuel. Its a 5 minute exercise, but eliminates a simple fuel supply issue before messing w/ the carb. Plus, it gets all the old fuel out of the tank. Not sure what bike you have, but mine has a filter built onto the petcock that goes up into the tank.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #951
mtnpass
Admiral Vag

Oddometer: 46
I have a XR650l. The tank is good. Drained the Clarke tank before storing. I used Pine Sol last night to clean carb up. Still need to get some guitar string thru the jets but it is running again. Thank you for the reply. Going to ride it in to work tonight.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #952
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
http://vimeo.com/8739407
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #953
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Enjoy it while you can!

Got this link in an e-mail from SloDon. More bad news. Slowly but surely what little is left of the "good stuff" is being taken away while we sit idle. What's next???? Once these areas are targeted it's dang near impossible to put a stop to it.

Anyone want to try and stop it or do we just sit on our butts until it all disappears????

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...T3_1604971.pdf
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #954
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualindalton View Post
Got this link in an e-mail from SloDon. More bad news. Slowly but surely what little is left of the "good stuff" is being taken away while we sit idle. What's next???? Once these areas are targeted it's dang near impossible to put a stop to it.

Anyone want to try and stop it or do we just sit on our butts until it all disappears????

http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558...T3_1604971.pdf
I'm trying to figure out how to email these people without sounding abrasive but all I wanna do is threaten rutting up their office lawns. I get the eco-friendly stuff, but ugh.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #955
MadLawDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Threat to roads and trails

I did a cursory read of the above link re: closing roads and trails around chatsworth, etc. I am sending a comment and encourage everyone else to do.
MadLawDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #956
dualindalton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to email these people without sounding abrasive but all I wanna do is threaten rutting up their office lawns. I get the eco-friendly stuff, but ugh.
Hells Hollow, Flatland, Big Frog, Old Bucktown, Hard Slate (last 2 not NF roads) and a few others are what I look most forward to when out on a ride. (I know only Hells Hollow is the only one on my list being considered for closure at this time) If and when they close this stuff down and all we are left with is the run of the mill groomed forest service roads.....well it may just be time to throw in the towel.
My proposal would be to "swap" some riding areas. Open some areas that may have been closed for a while. In short, do a rotation in theses areas. Or at the very least keep these roads open during certain times of the year. Anyone ever notice how many gates are hoping during hunting season? Seems like everyone that uses the forest gets catered to except motorcyclists!
Once the "S" word, SEDIMENT run off is thrown out there it usually means a sure death to a riding area.
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #957
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,051
I don't need public land to ride. Besides, riding public land is soon to be a thing of the past. However, people still want to ride, so other opportunities will open up, like Highland Park, Durhamtown, Durhamtown Tellico, and Moto Mountain. One door closes and another one opens.

They are better than public land anyway.

I joined Moto Mountain today and went out there by myself and had a blast. As usual, I found someone to ride with. Here are a few pics:

"Who's your daddy?" - My favorite trail ever. I don't now why they rated it "extreme".

WHO'S YO' DADDY?

Oh yeah! Lovin' it.

SWEET!

I could only take pictures on the easy bits.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #958
localmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
be glad for what you got..
nothing new tho= in N.C. they have already done this..
most all public land has gates and most all forest land roads are closed during the wet season= winter dec1st to may?

look up wayehutta or roy taylor ohv.
is federal land open to the public (most of the year) THAT a "club" maintains with a forset ranger in parking lot most weekends.
to ride the trails they charge per day or season pass..
and all water/creek crossing have a bridge..
no spinning up the creek!!! = yes it can be fun ,,but also can kill animals liveing in the water..

as i like fishing too..

so speaking of sediment ,,,, this can be controled..
we as riders need to figure out how to help!!

if thats means not rideing -certains times =as some private ohv area-they close for day or two after big rains
-haveing to work on the trails =are time and money.
- simple bridge ,over all natural water crossing
-if a quad can use it =they can also hunt illegaly =as one game warden i talk to said is "main reason they close nfsr".
-tread lightly
-picking up all trash, your or anothers
-when see other cars/people slow down
-even pay extra for special tag or sticker = thinking green sticker in cali..

so best advice is set up a club that works with the federal folks and come to a understanding.. even to "adopt a trail" liter pick up and trail work!!!!
even like dualindalton said "rotate where to ride"

don't get me wrong we do need -MORE not less- places to ride.
localmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #959
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Those trail closures are depressing. Youngblood and I rode the scenic way down into the Talladega National Forest and found some good Bama dirt roads today. The only thing holding us back was a lack of time.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #960
VAAPRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
I don't need public land to ride. Besides, riding public land is soon to be a thing of the past. However, people still want to ride, so other opportunities will open up, like Highland Park, Durhamtown, Durhamtown Tellico, and Moto Mountain. One door closes and another one opens.

They are better than public land anyway.

I joined Moto Mountain today and went out there by myself and had a blast. As usual, I found someone to ride with. Here are a few pics:

"Who's your daddy?" - My favorite trail ever. I don't now why they rated it "extreme".

WHO'S YO' DADDY?

Oh yeah! Lovin' it.

SWEET!

I could only take pictures on the easy bits.
Moto Mountain has some of the best single track out there
VAAPRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote