ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #961
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAAPRIDER View Post
Moto Mountain has some of the best single track out there
I couldn't agree more, and I rode almost all of it yesterday. I had to quit once I started cramping up.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #962
VAAPRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
I couldn't agree more, and I rode almost all of it yesterday. I had to quit once I started cramping up.
It is hard to ride it all in one outing.
VAAPRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #963
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
It is hard to ride it all in one outing.
I wouldn't categorize Twisty as a slow rider; I only see him at rest stops.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #964
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 705
twisty, how does the trials tire work on leaf covered trails? I built up an 18" rear wheel with tubliss for a trails tire (MT43) but haven't ever bothered to put it on the bike yet. I will probably try it out one of these weekends but it seems with a lot of fallen leaf cover that it wouldn't grip the ground well??
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM   #965
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
twisty, how does the trials tire work on leaf covered trails? I built up an 18" rear wheel with tubliss for a trails tire (MT43) but haven't ever bothered to put it on the bike yet. I will probably try it out one of these weekends but it seems with a lot of fallen leaf cover that it wouldn't grip the ground well??

You'd be surprised how well it hooks up out there. Twisty charged up this hill climb like it was nothing. He and I swapped bikes at Moto Mountain two weeks ago and the MT43 hooks up very well everywhere except mud. It does fine on dry leaves.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:11 PM   #966
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Scenic City Rides (Chattanooga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post

It's good on dry leaves but it sucks on wet leaves, mud or deep pine needles. It's fantastic on rocks and roots, which seems to be most of what we have around here.

I think I'm going to start running the trials tire in the summer and a knobby in the winter because it never seems to dry out in the winter, at least not this winter anyway.

Oh, it doesn't like deep loamy soil either.
TBA #1001
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #967
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Heck, it didn't dry out too much last summer as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #968
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 171
Doulos and I are meeting at the Hardee's in Chattsworth
10am Saturday morning.
The plan is to ride either Rock Creek OHV or Windy Gap OHV. Both trailheads are relatively close by.

Other than riding the OHV areas, the objective of the day is to climb Tibbs.

Tibbs is going away... forever... The FS is soon going to be gating it off, planting trees and grass and removing the upper trail head from Conasauga Lake Rec area. The climb is about 1.5 miles at the end of the Windy Gap OHV. Its a tough climb on a washed out rocky, rooty, nasty old road. Making it to the top is epic. The rest of the OHV areas are an easy ride.

Join if you like.

Oh yeah, once you make it to the top of Tibbs, the only open roads out are back down Tibbs...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #969
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

If any of you pass a severely overloaded black Super Tenere up in the mountains this weekend, stop and say hello. The wife and I are going to wander around Saturday, find a nice place to camp, then wander around some more on Sunday.
TBA #1001
Old 02-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #970
VAAPRIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post
Doulos and I are meeting at the Hardee's in Chattsworth
10am Saturday morning.
The plan is to ride either Rock Creek OHV or Windy Gap OHV. Both trailheads are relatively close by.

Other than riding the OHV areas, the objective of the day is to climb Tibbs.

Tibbs is going away... forever... The FS is soon going to be gating it off, planting trees and grass and removing the upper trail head from Conasauga Lake Rec area. The climb is about 1.5 miles at the end of the Windy Gap OHV. Its a tough climb on a washed out rocky, rooty, nasty old road. Making it to the top is epic. The rest of the OHV areas are an easy ride.

Join if you like.

'
Oh yeah, once you make it to the top of Tibbs, the only open roads out are back down Tibbs...
I have road those gravel roads all my life but I have never been to those OHV's I usually ride in from the top at Parksville. I was planning on riding that area tomorrow but I will be up there later than you guys. Is there enough riding to truck my XR in, or is it better to bring my dual sport becuase it is mostly gravel roads? Besides the two OHV's and Tibbs is there anywhere else worth checking out close by? I would prefer to truck the XR in as my DS is not quite ready but I could bring it if there is not enough trail for the XR.
VAAPRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #971
wjfawb0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out and about, but I'm heading up the interstate tomorrow to pick up a WR250R. I wanted to look at one from VOLdog in Calhoun, but my wife and I had to negotiate a little more than I expected. He sold his bike today, I think. It motivated me to look around a bit, and I found one in Knoxville. It's been three years since my last FZ1 and WR250R I had. I've even got to take the riding test at the licensing office because the lady last year failed to add the endorsement from my KY license. Woohoo. I hope to meet you all soon.
wjfawb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #972
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfawb0 View Post
I've even got to take the riding test at the licensing office because the lady last year failed to add the endorsement from my KY license. Woohoo. I hope to meet you all soon.
Congrats on the WRR. I went through the same rigamarole with the DMV forgetting the M endorsement when I moved to NC 13 years ago.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 PM   #973
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
U missed a sweet WRR

Quote: I wanted to look at one from VOLdog in Calhoun, but my wife and I had to negotiate a little more than I expected.

Hey Sorry my WR has a new home in Sharpsburg, Thanks to LewisNClark for the intro.

Look forward to getting in a few rides before I get called back out to work.
I was really hoping to sale the DR and keep the WR but cash is king !
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #974
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I have road those gravel roads all my life but I have never been to those OHV's I usually ride in from the top at Parksville. I was planning on riding that area tomorrow but I will be up there later than you guys. Is there enough riding to truck my XR in, or is it better to bring my dual sport becuase it is mostly gravel roads? Besides the two OHV's and Tibbs is there anywhere else worth checking out close by? I would prefer to truck the XR in as my DS is not quite ready but I could bring it if there is not enough trail for the XR.

Dual Sport
Old 02-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #975
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
If any of you pass a severely overloaded black Super Tenere up in the mountains this weekend, stop and say hello. The wife and I are going to wander around Saturday, find a nice place to camp, then wander around some more on Sunday.

Where you headed ? I may get out the SE.