ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #991
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 72
Monty - lets his Prentice Cooper opening day

Are you bailing on your PC idea? We could open her up for the season by tearing up a lot of dirt!! or Houston valley
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #992
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulos View Post
Are you bailing on your PC idea? We could open her up for the season by tearing up a lot of dirt!! or Houston valley
I checked the FS websites and Houston Valley is closed until the end of this month. Prentice Cooper is closed through March, 15th. I'm not sure if that means they open it tomorrow or Sunday. If not, we can zip down to Chatsworth and do Rocky Flats and Milma/Tibbs. The gate at the base of the mountain was open a couple of weeks ago, which I've never seen before.
Tomorrow is looking like a great day to ride.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #993
Doulos
Doulos

Does anyone know if Prentice Cooper is open on 15th??

Website says closed through March 15th...

Tibbs and that area is great! I rode it 2 weeks ago. One trail was blocked by a big down tree - but nothing for our light KTM's!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #994
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Let's ride that before they close it for good.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #995
Doulos
Doulos

Tibbs trail ride

How does 9:30 at Hardees in Chatsworth sound? I will be in the truck if you need a lift.

Text me - any changes
Old 03-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #996
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,066
Monte posted this on Facebook, the DOG forum and here. It just so happens that this is the last place I came but it has the most information about the ride. Sounds like you guys are doing a little bike ride. Michele and I will probably stop by and say hello anyway, on our way up to Tellico for some Grain Co. pizza.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #997
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Monte posted this on Facebook, the DOG forum and here. It just so happens that this is the last place I came but it has the most information about the ride. Sounds like you guys are doing a little bike ride. Michele and I will probably stop by and say hello anyway, on our way up to Tellico for some Grain Co. pizza.
She might enjoy Rocky Flats… or not. See ya at the Chatsworth Hardees at 10.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #998
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176
Saturday 3/22 Chattsworth Hardees

Saturday March 22. (suggest 650's and smaller)

Chattsworth Hardees at 10am. Have parked trailers at Hardee's numerous times with no problem in their extended lot, but never asked for permission... Should be fine. Could always park at the adjacent Bilo Grocery store...

Ride plan:
About 7 miles via roads to Rock Creek OHV. Trails were in great shape last weekend. Some technical climbing sections would not be suited for large bikes (GS, Triumph, etc)
Exit at Tatum Lead, head down Conasauga Rd to Windy Gap OHV.
Climb upper Tibbs.
Break at the Lake Conasuaga rec area. Ride out via FS roads. Potentially hit Rocky Flats out-n-back OHV. Return Crandal to Chattsworth. Pretty decent burger at Dave's Drive-in in Eton...

All riders and abilities welcome. I can promise there is no one slower than I, but there will be faster riders there if that's your pleasure. Bring water and Powerbars as there is no where to eat in this area unless we detour to Ellijay after Tatum Lead. (which is only about a 10 mile detour)

For those of you in East Brainerd, I'll be leaving from the BP/Kangaroo near East Hamilton High School at 9am on my bike (no trailer) to ride to Chattsworth for the 10am meet up.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #999
Camper292000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I might see if the wife will let me get away for this Saturday. I'm on Marietta near Barrett Parkway and can truck my Sherpa 250 up to there. Could squeeze another bike on if someone wants to.
I'm still pretty green on slippery surfaces but so far hitting the gas has saved my butt

Sent from my Android Moto G on Straighttalk
Camper292000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #1000
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'll try to make this trip tomorrow. I think my camping plans have fallen through. I'm pretty inexperienced off road (on two wheels) but I'll give it a try. Are there any fees or other things to be prepared for?
wjfawb0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #1001
Camper292000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
My question too on fees. Maybe someone will chime in and $10. Sounds like a good time.

Sent from my Android Moto G on Straighttalk
Camper292000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #1002
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 176
These OHV areas have no charge.
Hardee's has an extended lot where I've parked my trailer several times. No charge for that, but I usually eat there and leave a Hardee's coffee cup on the dash.... Just to make sure Hardee's knows I'm a patron...

The trail head to Rock Creek OHV is about 7 miles away by road. So, you need to have a licensed dual sporter just to get there. Or, you could park at the trail head if your bike is not licensed. No fee for parking there either.

I plan to be at Hardee's at 10am. If we cancel due to bad weather, I'll post here by 9am. It takes me about an hour to ride from Chattanooga to Chattsworth via backroads on my XRL. If I dont post here, assume the ride is on...

Other info...
These are two track routes. Anyone can ride these trails. Pace is the variable.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #1003
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The gate at the base of the mountain was open a couple of weeks ago, which I've never seen before.
Hey Monte, if you're referring to the gate at the base of Tibbs, I noticed that it was open too one day a while back. I called the USFS office in Chatsworth and was told that section of Tibbs right at the road where the pavement ends is actually private property. I always thought that was a USFS gate. My late father and I use to take CT-90's up Tibbs all the way from that gate to the top.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #1004
wjfawb0
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Thanks for the info. I plan to ride there too. I'm in Bradley Co. just north of East Brainerd. I'll try to meet up with you at 9AM.
wjfawb0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #1005
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,066
I'm in. See you guys at Hardees in the AM.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote