ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #1051
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 843
fullmonte or others, if you are planning a trip to the trails around Wilma, Tibbs, Windy Gap any time let me know. Hard to get away for a full day but have been wanting to go check these out as I've not ridden on them yet. I have a 450 that's tagged but am thinking it would be more fun/challenging on the 950. After my last weekend at Highland Park on the 950, looking for another fun ride. :) Or anyone else that wants to show me around/help me pick up my bike. ;)
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #1052
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
Speedy, I would give anything to see somebody ride a 950 up Windy Gap and you would become a legend. When do you want to go?
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #1053
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Speedy, I would give anything to see somebody ride a 950 up Windy Gap and you would become a legend. When do you want to go?
lol.. is there a decent video of it somewhere? i've looked and the ones I have found it doesn't look that much harder than other trails but I have a feeling it's not the right trail. Not saying I really want to ride the 950 but it's an option. ;)

have you ridden at highland park before? just trying to get an idea of challenge level compared to "known" trails. I don't want to get in over my head but I usually ride my 950 with others on "little bike" rides. I hate picking the thing up, but was just curious. I have a 450 and maybe I should ride that first to get an idea of difficulty. For some reason I was thinking I read someone was riding a KLR on Windy Gap and usually anywhere someone can ride a KLR I can ride my 950.

All the other "fun" stuff on FS roads in north GA can get a bit boring to me on the 950 (flatland, hightower, first section (I think it's called)) and just looking for something fun and a bit more challenging to ride. Definitely NOT looking for punishment, just more of a challenge like riding at Highland Park.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #1054
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
lol.. is there a decent video of it somewhere? i've looked and the ones I have found it doesn't look that much harder than other trails but I have a feeling it's not the right trail. Not saying I really want to ride the 950 but it's an option. ;)

have you ridden at highland park before? just trying to get an idea of challenge level compared to "known" trails. I don't want to get in over my head but I usually ride my 950 with others on "little bike" rides. I hate picking the thing up, but was just curious. I have a 450 and maybe I should ride that first to get an idea of difficulty. For some reason I was thinking I read someone was riding a KLR on Windy Gap and usually anywhere someone can ride a KLR I can ride my 950.

All the other "fun" stuff on FS roads in north GA can get a bit boring to me on the 950 (flatland, hightower, first section (I think it's called)) and just looking for something fun and a bit more challenging to ride. Definitely NOT looking for punishment, just more of a challenge like riding at Highland Park.
I'd love to see that video. If you actually rode the 950 over Windy Gap, you are a legend in my book. I've been with 2 people who "took" KLR's over it, but they didn't exactly "ride" the whole way, and there is no way either of them would have made it without significant help from their friends.

Yes, I've ridden HP many times, but I prefer Moto Mountain because I think the single track is better, and more importantly, it's much closer to my house. I'm not that good of a rider, but I prefer the harder, more technical trails. I enjoy the challenge, and it keeps the speed down. I'm too old to have a 30mph get-off. If I fall over in 1st gear it's no big deal. I do it all the time.

I'm up for anything as long as you don't mind waiting for my old, slow ass.
TBA #1001
Old 05-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #1055
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

here's the one I found most recently (last few minutes) and I'm sure this is the one that folks are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smj2C4GKkaM

the spot around 1:10-2:00 looks to be the hard part. :) Other than that, it doesn't look too hard but videos always look easy, right?

the original one I had found that doesn't look like it's the same trail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7EcMbxJ8E8
Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #1056
RockBreaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Somebody did a lot of work on that trail,,, nowhere near as bad as it was...
RockBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #1057
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
No way someone is riding a 950 thru the rock garden. And I wouldn't want to be there to help pull that beast over them. Lol.

Sent from my LG G2
Old 05-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #1058
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBreaker View Post
Somebody did a lot of work on that trail,,, nowhere near as bad as it was...
Yes, but they could only go a little ways past the "experienced riders only" sign. The rest of it hasn't changed much.
TBA #1001
Old 05-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #1059
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
here's the one I found most recently (last few minutes) and I'm sure this is the one that folks are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smj2C4GKkaM

the spot around 1:10-2:00 looks to be the hard part. :) Other than that, it doesn't look too hard but videos always look easy, right?

the original one I had found that doesn't look like it's the same trail...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7EcMbxJ8E8
Yep, that's it. If you rode a 950 up it, you are my hero.

I'd even give you a "walk through" at the rock garden.

Hell, I don't ride my 450 through the rock garden.
TBA #1001
Old 05-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #1060
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Hmm, sounds like fun.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #1061
fungus
Jack of all trades

Oddometer: 7
Off-topic post:

On Thursday of last week, I was out enjoying a leisurely drive in my Trooper in Cohutta (on my way to kayak Ocoee), when I happened on a tree across the road. It claimed the best of several vehicles (mine included). SquirrelyGrl had just pulled up on her DR as I was piling branches and downed saplings at the lowest point of the tree, in the hopes that I could build up the area enough to climb over. She witnessed the carnage as my transmission mount hung up on the log, and she helped me fight trying to get Neptune over, one way or another.

Then the rednecks showed up.

For the sake of privacy, we will refer to them as Bertha, Bubba and Bernard.

Bubba (~500lb) grabbed the roofline of my Trooper just behind the passenger A-pillar and proceeded to rock it so violently back and forth that the frame came up off the log and I could roll backward. Now that I was free and out of their way, Bernard (~450lb) attempted to push the tree out of his way with his 2wd Dodge Ram. Just one push and he had his front bumper stuck on the accursed tree. He then shifted between drive and reverse multiple times (quickly enough to grind the gears on an automatic?), all while breaking the rear loose enough to slide into the dirt at the side, and he was then stuck, coolant boiling out of the overflow.

Once again, SquirrelyGrl stuck around (whether for entertainment or to help) and helped free their truck. The best and final method was for Bertha (~350lbs) to sit on the tree, while myself, Bubba and Bernard pushed the front of the truck, and SquirrelyGrl drove in reverse. Immediately after freeing the truck, she made her leave of us, probably in the hopes that no one else would show up to challenge the tree again.

What a great day.

Lesson learned? Strap my kayak to my back and ride the KLR.

Thanks a ton, and I look forward to riding with ya. Hope you had a great time at the meet!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #1062
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Funny

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2014 KTM Adv 1190R
2007 KTM Adv 990S Dakar 7k miles FOR SALE
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #1063
RockBreaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=djgZrPKwphw
RockBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #1064
SquirrelyGrl OP
Squirrely Girl

Oddometer: 888
Hey Fungus, Glad you made it out of the woods.

I got to camp in Hampton, TN around 2am, but I had a couple of stories to tell around the campfire with the late nighters still up.

Get the KLR out, these boys get out often and I'm out as the DR has finally bit the dust on the engine (30 minutes from home, it wouldn't run )
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #1065
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 189
Cohutta loop

Did the Cohutta loop on the XRL yesterday.

The two bridges (large earth covered culverts) on the eastern side are complete. The heavy equipment was loading up as I mosied by. So, you can do the entire loop without leaving the dirt/gravel roads.

Just south of these two bridges are several bootleg trails that need to be explored. Given I was by myself and hold a tendency to break stuff, I only tried one hill climb, then counted my blessings on that attempt and continued on my loop journey through the Cohuttas.

Ended the day with about 150 miles. The roads are in great shape for riding as there is very little new gravel. (bad for cars, good for bikes). Lots of primitive campsites setup for the weekend. Noticed a couple sites setup that had no humans, but instead a barking guard dog chained to their tent and belongings. (Red Neck reservation system???)

I also stopped by what I think is the hidden gem campsite of the Cohuttas that I found while exploring one day. Its a beautiful spot where two streams merge. I've never camped there but noted that this 'hidden' spot is one I needed to remember.
Well, I went by to check out my 'hidden gem' yesterday only to find two sets of campers there. On my way out of that spot, I talked to a couple that were heading in there to camp and were disappointed to hear it was already occupied. Oh well, so much for my secret discovery...

Also noticed the trail head for Windy Gap OHV is still there...We need to continue riding that section during its 'stay of execution' from the forest service...
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote