Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #46
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 472
Question Fair market Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearapin View Post
And you would pay?
$3000 up to $3500 Tops - when you get it and spend another $2000 grand on parts / repairs keep the records so resale value is there.

I bought a 89 R110GS $4500 - New tires, total top end rebuild cost me another $2K- have records runs great have about $6k in it now.

Known transmision problem with circlip 5th gear another $1000 dollar bill with clutch when needed 50,000 miles on bike.

These things are money pits don't start in a hole!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #47
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
It would not break the budget but how dumb should I be? By all my research it is about 2k over value with the potential to put another 2 to 3k in it. I mean I would like to ride it more than wrench it.

History is the carbs had to be totally redone so I suspect it sat. That is what I base the seal thing on.

I don't mind wrenching but the special tool thing might put it way out of reach. Just thinking out loud.....

And yes it is sweet. I test drove it. Couldn't help wondering if the engine oil had last been changed in 1980 or the rear end fluid in 1981.... Was I causing damage to this sweet ride? Was I mixing peanut butter in the crank case?
You're over thinking it. Don't let the dealership talk you out of a sweet old bike. Mine sat indoors for 20 years with 2000 miles on the clock and only needed a rear main seal and pushrod seals after I put an additional 35k on the clock. I did a LOT of work on it, but the overwhelming majority of it was not strictly necessary. All it really NEEDED for the first 20k or so miles was new fluids, filters, tires, plugs/wires/caps, and a carb rebuild (including needles, needle jets and diaphragms). Oh and gas. I got mine for free though, so maybe $6k is a bit over the top. Low ball him. What's the worst that could happen?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:39 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #48
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
$3000 up to $3500 Tops - when you get it and spend another $2000 grand on parts / repairs keep the records so resale value is there.

I bought a 89 R110GS $4500 - New tires, total top end rebuild cost me another $2K- have records runs great have about $6k in it now.

Known transmision problem with circlip 5th gear another $1000 dollar bill with clutch when needed 50,000 miles on bike.

These things are money pits don't start in a hole!!!
I was thinking the same. But that would be 45 to 50% off his asking price. I doubt he will go for it.
tearapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #49
DJones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Tearapin,

I think some of these opinions on value are a little low for a 77 RS in "really nice " condition. I am always watchings bikes, and most of the 77 - 79 RS that are in the 3500 to 4000 range are pretty rough. Pretty paint can be like lipstick and rouge, but I will take it anyday over a rough one. It is also expensive to paint and powdercoat.

My point in the previous post was that the seals, bearings, ect. is going to be a crap shoot with any old bike, unless you have trustworthy documentation of a recent restoration. Fixing a pushrod seal does nothing for the rear main seal, and so on, and so on......... But when you start restoring one, you always get more in it than its worth.

They are great old bikes. There is lots of support out there, and they are not as complicated as some make them out to be. If its calling your name, go for it. It is a desirable model, and will allways have resale value. Its worth what someone is willing to pay for it (how bad they want it)
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #50
Jon-Lars
Jon-Lars

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post

Completely wrong year. This year (1977) has a good transmission.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transmission.htm

Jon-Lars screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:41 PM
Jon-Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #51
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 472
Hmm Trans Circlip years

Quote:

"Completely wrong year. This year (1977) has a good transmission." - Why did original post question a Transmission recall for a 1977???

Airheads have there quirks / problems spread out over there 25 plus year history and I am talking /5 on.

I was reffering to my Bike on the circlip issue.

10 years from 1984 to 1994 my R100GS is a 1989 falls right into these years

From sometime towards the end (??) of the 1984 production year (no longer do I think this began at the beginning of the 1985
production year), BMW's transmission maker made a modification to the transmission. On the output shaft, they left out a snap ring
(circlip) and shortly thereafter (?) they left off the associated output shaft groove (I have reports of at least 3 transmissions from the
1984 model year that had the grooved shaft but NO circlip....so keep THAT in mind!)...located at the nose end. The part number
for the shaft was not changed. That modification can and did give a lot of grief to owners. About a decade later the design reverted
back to the original reliable version. A number of these 'circlipless' transmissions have failed, some have had catastrophic failures,
ripping the transmission to pieces.

Biebs screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 07:48 AM Reason: clarify
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 AM   #52
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
I was thinking the same. But that would be 45 to 50% off his asking price. I doubt he will go for it.

I am very surprised that nobody has asked you for the pictures of this " very nice" RS. I believe it will be a great help for us telling you its $6200 worth or not.

I got my 84' RS last year for not even 1/3 of $6200. Maybe it's a 84, Maybe the vin says its a RT, maybe it's repainted, or maybe it has ~70k miles on it, but it's a runner and can take me from CT to VT for lunch and back in style, same as a very nice original low millage RS or even better with having better brakes and many other things. You pay what you think it's worth. MAXBMW sold a "new" 8?" RS last year for $23k. It's was really "new" and nice/clean, but was it $23k nice? Only the person paid for it believe so.

But seriously, are really prices for airheads are that high already?
lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #53
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 979
Maybe I missed it, but you can enter your VIN here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

and that will at least tell you what it is. I'm not aware of any BMW VINs from the 1970's that started with a letter.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #54
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
Maybe I missed it, but you can enter your VIN here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

and that will at least tell you what it is. I'm not aware of any BMW VINs from the 1970's that started with a letter.
Works and is valid. Wow even BMW NA said the vin was invalid.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #55
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,036
BMW NA! - whoever gave you that data about VINs sure didn't know his airheads! There were no letters before the VIN except for the CFO 77RS.

And you don't want those three letters!

I'd say it may be worth $4500 to maybe $5K. But you've got to give us some pix to work from. With Lesters, it may have other mods that may drop the price lower.

As already mentioned, be willing to learn about the bike - how to maintain it and service it, how to repair it. It's not all that difficult, but can require research and outlay in tools. But considering how much shop time costs (and often the re-do due to shoddy work) tools are much much cheaper. So if you're mechanically inclined - it'll be a good fit.

Take the bike out for a fifty or hundred mile ride. Go out for a couple hours. You'll know by the time you return if the seals are holding. Pull the tank and check the master cylinder for leaks. Check the transmission drain plug for slivers or chunks.

If the bike feels solid and stable, doesn't make odd noises, just the normal tappety tap click whirr whirr, has good power --- then that's about all you can ask for. It is an old vehicle and that's the way it is buying an old bike.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #56
tearapin OP
Adventurer

I do not have a pic of the specific bike but it looks exactly like the one I posted in an earlier post. Paint still shines, motor clean, runs great.

There are records of a complete carb rebuild. Lots of rubber parts replaced. To me that means long term sitting or no running of the bike. I am kind of hesitating now because of two things.

1) A dealer told me that the trans recall does not affect RS models. Clearly the recall info I posted in post #1 says it does.
2) If the carb seals/rubber/floats and diaphragms were dry I suspect other internal and hard to get too (special tools needed) seals are dry to and will leak shortly after I start riding the bike on a regular basis. I have been told 2 to 3k is a good estimate to have a shop put all the seals in. Trans, valves etc.

That would push the cost of this pristine airhead close to 9k.

Who knows what to offer...retail minus 2k? Doubt he would go for it. At this point I am leaning towards walking away.

Any opinions on my logic or lack thereof are welcome. I can always keep hunting.

I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #57
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
BMW NA! - whoever gave you that data about VINs sure didn't know his airheads! There were no letters before the VIN except for the CFO 77RS.

And you don't want those three letters!
It has those letters. I was under the impression that one could suppress the effect of those letters. True? or do i leave it alone now?

The VIN is valid. I ran it through that site. 2/77 manufacture date. BMW NA and 3 dealers said it was not valid. I have a fourth checking into it. The recall I mean. All the others said they could not tell if the bike needs a recall because of the "invalid VIN".
Old 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #58
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Ok, so it's a CFO model with Lesters. Two strikes against it. I'd guess $4K to $4500. The CFO isn't as desirable as the others.

And it's a valid VIN - those yoyos don't know what they're talking about! Sheesh

As for the transmission recall - it's up to you. I can't advise how important it may be. That's another area you can argue the price - lack of records showing whether the recall was or wasn't done. Me, I wouldn't worry about it - but that's just me. I don't know if my 77s ever had the transmissions checked or the gears replaced. And I've never heard of the gears breaking up and jamming the box. But who knows? That's not to say there may have been problems - I just haven't heard of them. None of the records with my bikes ever showed this recall having been done and they've got anywhere from 30K to 140K on them.

Wirespokes screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 08:58 AM
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #59
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Ok, so it's a CFO model with Lesters. Two strikes against it. I'd guess $4K to $4500. The CFO isn't as desirable as the others.

And it's a valid VIN - those yoyos don't know what they're talking about! Sheesh

As for the transmission recall - it's up to you. I have no idea what it was all about, so can't advise how important it may be. That's another area you can argue the price - lack of records showing whether the recall was or wasn't done. Me, I wouldn't worry about it - but that's just me.
I assume the Lesters just kill the value because the original wheels would be better to have?

However, can you give me details on the CFO and why it is bad? Can't you just defeat the air injection?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #60
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

These bikes are worth the most in original condition. The Lesters may have been installed by the dealer, but even so, they're not what originally came on the bike. And the original wheels are getting scarce and don't show up often. They were a bit delicate and the paint got marred - wheels and rims often get damaged during tire changes, so a nice set of the original wheels are difficult to find.

As for the CFO - we're not talking air injection - that came along about 1981. No, this is pre-air injection. This was one of the first smog things mandated for these bikes - and I think California was the leader in this movement.

California Florida and Oregon decreed that the 77RS sold in those states couldn't have 40mm exhaust systems, but had to have the smaller 38s. Because of that, the VINs were stamped CFO to show that they were the unusual ones with 38mm systems and destined for those states.

Truth is, the larger exhaust isn't anything you'll ever need in normal riding, but it makes a difference in resale value.