Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #61
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
These bikes are worth the most in original condition. The Lesters may have been installed by the dealer, but even so, they're not what originally came on the bike. And the original wheels are getting scarce and don't show up often. They were a bit delicate and the paint got marred - wheels and rims often get damaged during tire changes, so a nice set of the original wheels are difficult to find.

As for the CFO - we're not talking air injection - that came along about 1981. No, this is pre-air injection. This was one of the first smog things mandated for these bikes - and I think California was the leader in this movement.

California Florida and Oregon decreed that the 77RS sold in those states couldn't have 40mm exhaust systems, but had to have the smaller 38s. Because of that, the VINs were stamped CFO to show that they were the unusual ones with 38mm systems and destined for those states.

Truth is, the larger exhaust isn't anything you'll ever need in normal riding, but it makes a difference in resale value.
Ok thanks for the details. Any input ot my leaking seals opinions? Paranoia or reality?
tearapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM   #62
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,748
You really don't know, and it's impossible to say whether they'll need replacing or not. They may be just fine - but it depends on the conditions they've been subjected to. High heat deteriorates rubber and plastics. UV harms them. One of the killers of seals in a dormant machine is 'dry startup'. No oil on the shaft or seal and it runs on the shaft dry. If there's any little bit of corrosion on the shaft, it'll wear the seal until oil arrives. The seal will probably polish the shaft eventually, but the damage has been done. Some of its life is gone. Or I've seen it where the seal chattered on the shaft due to running dry on the first start up, which then popped the tensioning spring out of the seal.

The seals that are the biggest pain are the engine rear main and the transmission output. Of the two, the trans output is probably the worst. If you can pull a transmission, you'll be able to change these seals. But... you'll probably have to find someone with the special tools to replace the trans output seal - that's one job where nothing but the correct tools will get the job done! Or you could take it to the dealer (if they still have airhead tools) to have them remove the U-Joint flange in order to access the seal to replace it.

Push rod tube seals aren't that big a deal either - just looks like it. Often they just seep, don't gush. Like a lot of things on these bikes - they'll give you lots of warning before failing entirely. But pushrod seals just seep worse and worse the longer they're ignored.

The two important ones are the rear main and trans output. I got a 74 R90 in the mid 90s that sat four or five years. I had to replace a lot of the seals after five hundred or so miles. But other bikes I've gotten that sat for long periods were fine - so it all depends.

If the bike was stored inside, not outside under a cover like that R90 I mentioned, and it wasn't too hot in the summer, and not too damp in the winter, you'll probably be fine.

How does the rest of the rubber and plastic look on the bike? And, just because the carb diaphrams were replaced doesn't tell you much - a lot of guys think a total carb rebuild is necessary for minor running issues, or gas leaks. The truth is that it's low miles which equates to long spans of inactivity.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Lots of good info in this thread. I'm going to chime in as well. As the owner of a "big pipe" 77RS, I'm always watching the prices on these and other airheads. Because of the economy, the '77's aren't worth quite what they were a few years ago.

While mine is a low serial number, 40mm system, and has the blue striped spoke wheels, it's also been painted black, and has a gearing change to the gearing of the later RS's. In other words, this bike has lived and has been ridden. I bought it 12 years ago, with 50K miles. I was told by the owner that he and his brother were amateur mechanics and that maintenance of motorcycles was really important to them. Well, I guess everyone has their own idea of maintenance, but while this bike ran pretty well, it needed a lot of attention. I dearly love this bike, it's now very well sorted, and I doubt that I will ever sell it.

As for the price, $6200 is a bit high. Since it is in decent condition with low miles, I'm thinking the $4k to $4.5K range is where you should be.

You may be overthinking the whole recall bit, but from what I understand, BMW will honor recalls of older motorcycles.

Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #64
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
As for the price, $6200 is a bit high. Since it is in decent condition with low miles, I'm thinking the $4k to $4.5K range is where you should be.
That $6,200 is high, don't look at this '77 for sale near Seattle !

http://www.southsoundbmw.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2425586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #65
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post

No different than an auto dealer with a 57 Chevy hardtop available for high market X2, just to draw people in and sell them something else. There is always the possibility of some millionaire with a wind fall investment needs spending just for grins.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #66
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post

Eeek!

It also says it has the 3/4 seat. No picture shows that. And help me out with the panel display that shows the ignition or light switch between the gauges? Neither of my '77's had that.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #67
toslow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
My ignition switch is between the volt and the clock gauge's another question the buyer needs to ask is he buying the RS just for the look he should spend alittle time on it not everybody likes the rider position on a RS as say compared to an RT
toslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #68
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
My ignition switch is between the volt and the clock gauge's another question the buyer needs to ask is he buying the RS just for the look he should spend alittle time on it not everybody likes the rider position on a RS as say compared to an RT
The riding position is fine for me. But good advice.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #69
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshiner View Post
Lots of good info in this thread. I'm going to chime in as well. As the owner of a "big pipe" 77RS, I'm always watching the prices on these and other airheads. Because of the economy, the '77's aren't worth quite what they were a few years ago.

While mine is a low serial number, 40mm system, and has the blue striped spoke wheels, it's also been painted black, and has a gearing change to the gearing of the later RS's. In other words, this bike has lived and has been ridden. I bought it 12 years ago, with 50K miles. I was told by the owner that he and his brother were amateur mechanics and that maintenance of motorcycles was really important to them. Well, I guess everyone has their own idea of maintenance, but while this bike ran pretty well, it needed a lot of attention. I dearly love this bike, it's now very well sorted, and I doubt that I will ever sell it.

You may be overthinking the whole recall bit, but from what I understand, BMW will honor recalls of older motorcycles.

Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #70
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 973
I am in sales, but could someone help me in understanding the theory in asking that high above market for a motorcycle (The $18k '77RS at southsound). I see the comment about getting people in to look at something else, but pricing something like that is either incompotent (if they paid too much) or worse. To me it just says that they really don't want to sell it.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,371
If you dont want to work on bikes,get a new bike. Airheads are an arcane specialty bike that people fall in love with,function is a distant second or third.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #72
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
I am in sales, but could someone help me in understanding the theory in asking that high above market for a motorcycle (The $18k '77RS at southsound). I see the comment about getting people in to look at something else, but pricing something like that is either incompotent (if they paid too much) or worse. To me it just says that they really don't want to sell it.
I would guess the seller's mind works like this. I love my bike but....if someone were to give me 18k for it I would sell it.

Alternatively maybe he wants a bike that costs 18k.

I am not saying it makes sense.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #73
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean View Post
Being from around there, I know that Southsound and Ridewest (the two area dealerships, same owners) often take bikes on consignment. That could be the case here. Not sure though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #74
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Being from around there, I know that Southsound and Ridewest (the two area dealerships, same owners) often take bikes on consignment. That could be the case here. Not sure though.
Wife: "So ... did you put it up for sale?"
Husband: "Yes dear. It's on consignment at Southland, but I don't think anyone is buying."
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #75
tearapin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Wife: "So ... did you put it up for sale?"
Husband: "Yes dear. It's on consignment at Southland, but I don't think anyone is buying."
I stand corrected!!! That is the answer.