User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
hmmwv15 OP
young grasshopper

Oddometer: 157
Honda CL100 thread?

I just picked up and old CL100 basketcase saturday. Had to weld the downtube back on, and sunday morning I wired it back up and got it to run. It has just over 5,000 miles on it. I've got several parts on order for it, I plan to do the bare minimum to get this thing running and streetable, which shouldn't be too big of a deal. I just hope the engine stays relatively reliable so I can add some more mileage to it. It's dirty, rusty, and well used. I want to keep it that way and use as much of the original parts I can. (except the exhaust, I'm adding a different muffler, but shooting to keep the heat shield) I want it to look like I just dragged it out from under a pile of crap in a barn somewhere, kicked it over and started riding it.

I was just curious if anyone else had a little CL100 that they wouldn't mind taking some pictures of. Most of the parts came in a box, nothing was labeled, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing some hardware. I can't find very good close up pictures on google image search, so it would be fantastic if I could get some good shots to limit the guess work.

Here it is as I bought it after I got it unloaded out of the truck:

hmmwv15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
hmmwv15 OP
young grasshopper

The more I tinker the more my intentions change. I'm still trying to utilize stock parts, but I want it to be as minimalist as possible, while still being road legal.

So far I've "modified" the stock exhaust to fit an aftermarket cobra quiet muffler for a trx300. Should produce a nice little thump. I will be re-using the stock exhaust heat shield, it's just too cool not to use. I still have to finish the "head pipe to muffler" joint, but I believe that should be simple enough.

Next idea is to dispose of the side covers and tabs. I have already cut off the tabs, so no going back! I wanted to run this without the battery SO BAD, but it looks like the lights won't work very well without it. My plan was to keep the area under the seat almost empty, and mount the rectifier/regulator under the seat.
HOWEVER, if I cannot find a way to run without the battery, I'll have to make a battery box, which will prove to be difficult since I'm trying to keep a barn bike theme here. Would be hard to make a new battery and battery box fit that theme.
Seems like I remember seeing some custom builders run capacitors in place of the battery, but I'm an electrical idiot so I wouldn't know how to go about that. I'll be researching it though.

Parts on order include a chain, petcock, clutch cable, and a carb kit if they reply to my offer.

I set the tank and seat on the frame and rolled around my driveway, anxious to ride it for the first time. This thing is going to be a blast to ride.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
lambotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
My first bike. Sorry I don't have any pics. It was a great runner. Tank and side panels were metallic orange. White pinstriping on the tank. Miss it terribly. Good luck on a worthy project.

Kevin
lambotte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post

Love it. I had a CL200 that I screwed up and sold back when I was not much dumber than I am now.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
KevXR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
The Vintage section of ThumperTalk.com has descriptions of how to run without a battery on a SL100 and SL125. I had a SL100 and I can tell you that without the battery fully charged, it would not run. Forget the headlight issues, the bike won't run. So you will end up modifying it one way or another. California requires a battery that will keep the tail light running for 10 minutes with the motor shut off. Check your state laws. My street legal XR400 always ran without a battery, but has a battery pack made up of 6 AA cell rechargeable batteries. There are options.

Some side covers for some old Hondas are like gold. TL125 side covers are expensive. New CL125 might still be available.

Good luck and post up photos. Just Google Honda CL100 for hundreds of photos.
KevXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
hmmwv15 OP
young grasshopper

I know for a fact that mine will run without a battery, Right after I got the down tube welded back on I loosely fitted the engine, plugged everything into the wiring harness less the front blinkers and headlight. I installed the carb with one nut. My DR650 was happy to share some gas via siphon into the fuel inlet of the cl100. I don't have a good battery for it, so I didn't have one hooked up, the wires were just dangling. It took about 15 to 20 kicks to get it to thump a few times, then two kicks and it was alive. I let it run for about a minute until I was satisfied that I could spend some cash without it going to waste if the engine didn't run. (I was pretty excited) Just picture the wiring harness and components draped over the top of the frame, the carburetor (which had not been cleaned yet) and exhaust fairly loosely mounted to the engine, no battery....and it still cranked up and ran. It idled fine, but stumbled when you revved it.

So I took the carb components to work and ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner for a bit. I'll have to get a carb kit on order.

As far as the battery goes, I found out that it acts as a regulator in the little cl's system, so a no go on the capacitor. The plan is to find the smallest 6V battery I can, and try to mount it as "incogneetussly" as I can. I'll have to look into that rechargeable battery pack option, thanks for that idea. That would be very easy to hide somewhere, in fact the area behind the engine inside the stamped frame would be a great spot for them.
So I'm still not too bad off, and I can probably keep the area under the seat pretty clean.

Oh, and I'm not sure if the rear rim is bent, or just really far from being trued. It isn't like there is a big dent in it, it just rotates like it's off axis or something. Hopefully it was just a case of someone with no experience trying to get it trued in the garage. Pretty sure I'd have the same kind of trouble! Either way, it will be coming off and taken to a reputable shop to be looked at. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

As for the side covers, they have been painted and repainted, and have cracks. They are intact and paintable, but I highly doubt they would be worth anything. However, I am pulling them out of the trash in case I decide to try and sell them. Thanks for the tip!

hmmwv15 screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 06:57 PM
Old 05-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv15 View Post
I was just curious if anyone else had a little CL100 that they wouldn't mind taking some pictures of.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=CL100
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
hmmwv15 OP
young grasshopper

Thanks for the heads up.

Here are another few teaser pics with everything set on the CL.

Still need to address/waiting on these parts:

battery
chain
air filter
carb kit
rear rim (need trued or replaced)
petcock for gas tank and hope the gas tank will work. Still need front rubber mounts, but I think I can make them.
need to finish mating the aftermarket muffler to stock headpipe, and devise a mount for the OE heat shield
clutch cable
possibly front brake cable
need to try and heli-coil one of the mirror mount threads, both are stripped and I only need one any way. Plus I only HAVE one mirror to begin with.
need to make sure lights work before going up to the tag office to tag this thing.

I'm checking on a battery tomorrow, and will try to finish the exhaust. The rest is just waiting on parts to show up so I can finish it I believe.

I'm noticing more classic bikes out now that I have this thing. I'm also kind of digging these old bikes now. (Great, like I need another hobby to dump money into...)

I think this thing just oozes nostalgia. I'll let you decide...

Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Wonder how it would look with a polished tank with some huge ass knobbies. Oh, here's a funky photo from a vintage sales brochure.

KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Here are some photos of mine:

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,860
I recently posted , r.e. the bike I have just got home-it is supposed to be a 72 CL100 and if you google "CL100 photos" it the same as the two Candy Orange Topaz bikes that show up in the picture block. The 71 & &2's are seeming to be the same bikes usually.
Mine will get a restoration to near new,not to perfect. When I get it done I'll see how it rides compared to my 1150 BMW...
Seems like a toy when you walk up to it. I need a rear signal complete-an easy part & the speed aspect of my speedo doesn't work. Also my headlight bucket & both side panels are cracked in several places so will get epoxy or replacement & a cable set-otherwise it's a running, complete bike that needs a front tire/tube and repainted & cleaned up.
I'm thinking that the new Camaro orange will be real close to the Honda Candy Orange Topaz. Are there mixing codes available for vintage Honda colors? I know paint but never matched a vintage Honda.

********HELP**************: My bike has a nice tank on it but based on the OEM white stripes & color its the right tank from a SL100 so I have nothing to go by to repaint my stripes! I need an accurate tracing of the 2 stripes on the tank side. These are not the ones shown on the gold painted bike & blue bike above-they are the ones like I reference on google. If you have that tank please help! I'll only need one side as it can be used both ways,i.e., L & R.

Whats that thingy on your tag on the gold bike???
The front fenders vary some-mine has the kind w/o a brace from front to rear.
I'm seeing ow via : www.motoera.com that my 1972 bike is a 1971 as the numbers match (frame & engine) & are for that year. It appears that my 1971 has 1972 front fender & tank from SL100 that needs redone anyway & has the correct emblem for a CL but wrong stripes. Rest of bike seems original to 1971. Wondering if Honda mixed parts on some of these from new? My serial # is 219398 & the 1972 #'s begin with a 1 in front of the 2

kantuckid screwed with this post 06-14-2012 at 10:49 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I recently posted , r.e. the bike I have just got home-it is supposed to be a 72 CL100 and if you google "CL100 photos" it the same as the two Candy Orange Topaz bikes that show up in the picture block. The 71 & &2's are seeming to be the same bikes usually.
Mine will get a restoration to near new,not to perfect. When I get it done I'll see how it rides compared to my 1150 BMW...
Seems like a toy when you walk up to it. I need a rear signal complete-an easy part & the speed aspect of my speedo doesn't work. Also my headlight bucket & both side panels are cracked in several places so will get epoxy or replacement & a cable set-otherwise it's a running, complete bike that needs a front tire/tube and repainted & cleaned up.
I'm thinking that the new Camaro orange will be real close to the Honda Candy Orange Topaz. Are there mixing codes available for vintage Honda colors? I know paint but never matched a vintage Honda.

********HELP**************: My bike has a nice tank on it but based on the OEM white stripes & color its the right tank from a SL100 so I have nothing to go by to repaint my stripes! I need an accurate tracing of the 2 stripes on the tank side. These are not the ones shown on the gold painted bike & blue bike above-they are the ones like I reference on google. If you have that tank please help! I'll only need one side as it can be used both ways,i.e., L & R.

Whats that thingy on your tag on the gold bike???
The front fenders vary some-mine has the kind w/o a brace from front to rear.
It's a registration holder. I just have a piece of paper in it.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Here are some photos of mine:

Thats a nice looking little CL

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #14
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,317
here's mine the day I dug it out of the back room at work. had been there since 83.

in the sun going home.

and all washed up new plug some fresh gas and running.

$400 invested. And the charging system will over charge with out a good battery. I saw mine hit 40 volts. O'Rillies has them for around $25. And i might be interested in that left side cover if you have it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
hmmwv15 OP
young grasshopper

Sweet little cl's! I'm happy to see more of them out there. Kind of strange though, seems like most of you owned one in the 70's. My little 71 is 20 years older than I am. At this point I've got about $200 invested including the bike. I can probably break even on it if I decide to sell it. Not bad really.

So today I received my clutch cable, chain, and xr100 throttle to play with if I want to swap it out. I actually filled up the carb bowl with gas and rode it around the yard until it died. (it started leaking around the top of the float bowl, so I definitely need that carb kit!) When it was running I was able to adjust the carb a bit. At first it was idling fine, but began to speed up like it was trying to blow itself up, and I would have to hit the kill switch. (luckily that still works!) The points system shouldn't cause that should it? Also, when I gave it gas it wanted to bog down. My throttle will move perfectly fine when I take the cable out of the carb. It snaps back like it should. However when I re-install it the throttle will not snap back. hmmm....

I also decided to try my hand at truing the rear wheel myself. I watched a couple vids on youtube to get a basic idea, then spent lord knows how long screwing around with it....and actually, it is very close to being true, and I say this because without the proper stand and equipment, it's hard for me to eyeball this kind of thing on the bike. But I believe it will work perfect until I decide to run it on the street.

My neighbors must have thought I was strange riding around with no gas tank and wires hanging out of the bike. I didn't care, I thought it was funny. I hope I can get these bugs worked out so I can eventually have this thing on the road.

My other essential parts are coming from indonesia and thailand, so it will probably be a while before I receive them.

I decided to wait on the battery since it will run without one. It isn't like I need lights running around the yard.