Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Shivered Fork conversion. Works great, cost $500-700 give or take.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:20 AM   #17
seasider OP
Just a rider

Oddometer: 357
Gangplank....you have a far better grip on suspension knowledge as well as abilities than I have to deal with the short comings of the stock suspension!

I just see cartridges as the simple (hopefully effective) way to take handling up a few notches without investing the shop time with possibilities of screwing it up.
If the drop ins that have been mentioned are only marginally better that a spring and oil swap I will try to learn what I can from those that have gone that route.

I am wondering if anyone has gone the direction of involving someone like Max BMW in the attempt to improve. I believe they have helped quite a few HP riders with that stock set up.

The real goal was to simply order the parts be it cartridges or springs/oil and do the swap on a saturday and ride sunday with a noticeable improvement. I will be patient..................
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
I did the Traxxion AK 20 forks and had to raise the oil height to 95mm from top ( instead of the 110 - 115mm recommended) to dial it in to my liking. Ohlin's on the rear. Cost me over $2k, but it was transformational. It has survived torture with flying colors (literally). Darn expensive, but it works!

Kind of like that Deiserto (D3) fairing. So expensive you have to drink a 6-pack before pushing the "Buy" button. But the performance is so good, I've never regretted it (on either item). Figure the amortized cost of the mods are relatively small over the life of (my) ownership.....which appears to be long term.

Note: Race Tech wasn't an available option when I did my conversion. Well.....not that I recall, at least.

HF

P.s. I see you're in Virginia. Travis at GO Race Suspension in Christiansburg did my installation and fine tuning. His work is fantastic! He's done four different bikes for me.....all spot on. Call him up and chat with him about your specific questions. He reps all the brands (Traxxion, Ohlins, Race Tech, etc) so I don't think he is particularly biased, per se, other than recommending what would work best for your specific needs. There may be cheaper alternatives available now. The stock forks just plain SUCK. But the rest of the bike is happy.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 12:24 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
seasider OP
Just a rider

DAMM!!!! Only a six pack for the Deiserto? Full bottle of 1800 for me but LORD KNOWS I LOVE IT!
Seriously though I have mentally committed to 2-2.5K for front and rear if necessary simply because I love the rest of the bike that much after 3500 miles since late August. A great machine for where I am and want in my life from a bike right now.
On your suggestion I will reach out to Go Race and get his take on the products available. I will try to keep the thread posted if it survives in the mean time. Not my intent to keep alive if no new info comes in.

Still waiting for an Ohlins front tester...............

Thanks everybody. This forum has some great inmates
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Gangplank....you have a far better grip on suspension knowledge as well as abilities than I have to deal with the short comings of the stock suspension!

I just see cartridges as the simple (hopefully effective) way to take handling up a few notches without investing the shop time with possibilities of screwing it up.
If the drop ins that have been mentioned are only marginally better that a spring and oil swap I will try to learn what I can from those that have gone that route.

I am wondering if anyone has gone the direction of involving someone like Max BMW in the attempt to improve. I believe they have helped quite a few HP riders with that stock set up.

The real goal was to simply order the parts be it cartridges or springs/oil and do the swap on a saturday and ride sunday with a noticeable improvement. I will be patient..................

Desert Dave had a set up that improved stock. I can't remember the shop name, but they were associated with Livermore BMW. Unfortunately it folded, but did some mods on the side.

I did talk to the Guru and he told me the basic problem was the cartridge flowed too much oil. His cure was to close off some of the holes in the bottom of the cartridge and replace with smaller holes further up.

The devil is in the details and I do not know what they are. I still have the stock cartridge and if the Bitubo goes belly up, I may experiment.

It sounded a lot like a typical damping rod fix.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #21
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Seasider....one more thing,

Whatever you do, make sure you beef up the rear shock mount while you are at it ( if you haven't already).

I used the "Indy Mod" purchased from inmate IndyUnlimited on this forum. It was very affordable and an outstanding solution to a stupid OEM oversight or design flaw. Rally Moto made an alternate solution as well, but it seems there was a fit problem for an Ohlins shock......if I remember correctly.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #22
seasider OP
Just a rider

Rodger that Highfive. Just in a holding pattern until I commit to which rear shock set up. I did read about the Ohlins needing a slightly different mod. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
I used the "Indy Mod" purchased from inmate IndyUnlimited on this forum. It was very affordable and an outstanding solution to a stupid OEM oversight or design flaw. Rally Moto made an alternate solution as well, but it seems there was a fit problem for an Ohlins shock......if I remember correctly.
Nothing against RM, but the brace doesn't prevent the upper mounting bolt from bending. Some inmates have bored out the RM frame brace for extra peace of mind, but I don't believe anyone has managed to bend a bolt with the Indy kit.

I bought the RM when I still had the stock shock, then moved to an Indy kit with my aftermarket upgrade. Now I have a very well machined paperweight.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote