Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #1
arbr0972 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Steamboat Springs, Colorado to Belize and back on a 1982 Goldwing

Good evening folks on ADV!

My name is Art, Im 23, I live in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and will be starting school at the University of Colorado at Boulder. With the ever looming registration date approaching and the reality of endless hours spent studying secluded away from the outside world sinking in, I had realized that I needed to take some time off and have an adventure before I hunker down on a 3 year engineering degree(transfer student).

I had the idea to embark on some sort of travel through South America last November. It was only when i got my acceptance letter from CU in March that i decided i should take this trip.

I told my mother, who insisted i was absolutely crazy compared to my 5 other siblings, and said "Arth, it would be really nice to get to see you again"...as if she was certain i would perish. Words of encouragement. When I told my father, he was completely accepting and told me i should absolutely do it.

That was all i needed. I started getting rough routes put together and an idea in my mind of a destination. Belize seemed appropriate; not too far from home, but far enough, and with enough cultural diversity between here and there to really get a better picture of the world.

In March I sold my 2005 jeep grand cherokee. Combined with the money i had saved from waiting tables all winter, I felt i had more than enough money to fully support a trip of the caliber i was to take.

The Plan: (Open for discussion and suggestions :))
-is to ride Southwest from NW CO to Grand Canyon Natl park, and then further on towards San Diego. From there, cross the border in Tecate(a crossing that seems to get the least traffic/attention), just east of Tijuana. Once across, separate myself from the states by at least a couple hundred miles. Make my way down the Baja Peninsula towards San Jose Del Cabo. From there, catch the ferry in La Paz BCS to Mazatlan.

Arriving in Mazatlan will place me in the thick of Mexico, intimidating! From there it will be a matter of staying up to date on travel advisories and avoiding the cautions while riding SE towards Chiapas, Cozumel, and Merida.

Would love to meet up with some fellow riders if our schedules jive at all.

May 1st is set for take-off !

OH and the bike of course is a 1982 GL1100 Goldwing Aspencade, that i have stripped down to the bare frame and rebuilt from the bottom up. She's not the prettiest but she runs like a top, and she's a Goldwing :) Cheers!

Thats me in Florence, OR last summer on a previous trip. The bike now has cruiser bars and windshield. More to come!
Attached Images

arbr0972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Lanza
IcePIC

Oddometer: 1
I flew from Chicago to San Diego with a buddy about 7 years ago and we rented two Harleys (yeah, can you believe we found someone to let us take rentals into Mexico?)) for a 5 day ride half way down the Baja. Our destination was Guerrero Negro to check out whales in the huge bay there. We rode Mexico 1 and entered at Tijuana with over nights in Ensenada, Cantavina , San Quintin and Guerrero Negro. Once south of Ensenada you won't find any gringos and no one will speak English. Mexico 1, in a word, is fabulous. Mostly desert but what a desert!! Absolutely stunning views and great hilly, curvy sections.

Last year, I rode my Triumph Tiger from Chicago to Tulum and back. Got within a few miles of Belize and Guatamala but didn't enter either. Oaxaca and Chiapas states are both beautiful. Can't go wrong there. A few points of advice: 1) travel with a good GPS. Travel from town to town is easy enough but indispensable for once you want to get into and out of cities. 2) Don't ride at night. 3) Be alert for SPEED BUMPS!! They're everywhere and can ruin your day. 4) Bring extra cash for corrupt municipal cops. You can read about my most recent trip on my site:

http://www.wanderingnomad.org/blog/category/mexico-2014

Your trip sounds like a blast. Good luck and have a blast!

lr

Lanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
RickDEN77
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Sounds like an awesome ride. Wish I hadn't planned my long ride/vacation for July. Safe travels! -rick
RickDEN77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Sounds like a good plan. Tecate is an easy border to cross and you will love the ride down the Baja peninsula. Take your time Baja has a lot to offer.
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
MazztheSpazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hey, I live off Tamarack and work at the local FedEx. Let me know if any assistance is needed. Would be able to get you parts etc. very quickly. Cadmus
Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Cool choice of bikes. I worked in a bike shop when I was a kid, late 80's early 90's! A while ago. Anyway I used to work on gold wings and would think (you will never catch me on one) Then one day a guy brought one in that was all striped down like a café race. To this day I think about building one. Good bikes...
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Bla
n00b

Oddometer: 5
awesome adventure
Bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #8
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 4,136
You'll like Boulder, but it can wait!

Sounds like a spectacular adventure. Post pics.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
arbr0972 OP
Adventurer

Lanza, do you really think a GPS is that necessary or could i get by with a very detailed map?

Cadmus ill have to keep that in mind! I like to think I have everything I need but of course you never know (knocks on wood).

Good to see some fellow coloradoans on this thread...I always wonder why I love my 33 year old goldwing, its a strange affliction. Nevertheless she's a head turner. Ill keep posting as i head further south. Really excited to see the Grand Canyon, had anyone been to Mather Campground on the South Rim?
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbr0972 View Post
Lanza, do you really think a GPS is that necessary or could i get by with a very detailed map?
You're on the right track here with the bike and the destination. The best trips I have ever had are those where there's no map and no schedule. Think about it a bit.

Best of luck from Glenwood Springs!
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
A GPS tells you WHERE on the map you are.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
arbr0972 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
You're on the right track here with the bike and the destination. The best trips I have ever had are those where there's no map and no schedule. Think about it a bit.

I was thinking something along those lines, makes it more of an adventure
Old 04-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #13
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post

Same here, just enjoy the ride OP
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #14
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
I will follow along. Love those Gold Wings.
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #15
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Looks like you've got shorter shocks on back. I would sugggest getting the stock ones back or going taller still. Speed bumps (topes) will be the bane of your Mexican existance.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote