Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1486
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hey Bryce,
...Snip...
Oh, and the hell with penguinos. Better wildlife in Buenos Aires. I say head north and learn some Tango. You can always sell the XR to another traveler and do the photoshop title switch going over on the ferry to Uruguay. Cheaper than sending a beat Honda back to the states methinks. Or park it in Uruguay for a year. They give you 12 months on the TVIP over there. You might want to come back for more. Or not.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
I might be okay with this.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #1487
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,563
Interesting. Sounds like some good options to ponder.
and Tango lessons... that's good!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #1488
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 306
Still following

Still loving your RR, great pictures, candid and inspirational. Safe travels
-T
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #1489
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

I was extremely impressed! When I had first decided on doing this trip, I had thought about doing it on my Harley but had been talked out of it by several people. In retrospect, I'm kind of sad that I didn't. Seeing someone like this guy who has literally ridden his Harley around the world is very inspiring! I didn't catch his name and I'm sorry I didn't. He was on an older Fat Boy with the 80 CI EVO motor. So cool!
This is why I decided I am converting my Sportster to do RTW even though I have had few people talking me out of it. Couple are still trying! After doing Trans-America Trail, riding KLR650 back to home on I-40 was a very long ride and no fun! Also, I believe that I am destined to ride a harley RTW because I put it on the market for 12 months and not a single email or phone/text call. I put KLR on the market and get over 20 inquires then sold it, all within 2 months?

Quote:
Is that screen over the cooking pot? Are bugs really that bad you need to cover it with the screen? (sorry if I missed it earlier if you mentioned anything about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

And yes, I'm storing my bike down here and heading back to the States in a while and heading back down for more next fall. Have to go earn some pesos back where the wages are high.
JDowns, how long are you allowed to store the bike in Colombia? Or is there a trick you have worked out? I'm curious on that!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #1490
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

Is that screen over the cooking pot? Are bugs really that bad you need to cover it with the screen? (sorry if I missed it earlier if you mentioned anything about that.
That's just a wind screen for the stove. It's basically a strip of super heavy duty aluminum foil and helps contain the heat and cooks your food a lot more efficiently.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #1491
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 836
Ah ok Thanks for explaining.. my eyes are bad last few days and I couldn't find my glasses. Still trying to remember where I last used it 2 years ago.. It's not often my eyes get lazy..
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #1492
gatogato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Well, I figured that I would try and talk some sense into you! If you take that Sportster down there, there are going to be countless opportunities that you will miss out on. No ruta 40, no Coyhaique for you if you take the Harley. Every dirt road is going to annoy the crap out of you instead of excite you like it would on a KLR.

Another, annoying side effect of taking the Harley is Latin American thieves will be way more interested in it than they would a KLR. Every motorcyclist in Latin America wishes he rode a Harley. I really wanted to go to Venezuela, but was too afraid because I had a BMW F650 and that is what the cops rider there, so it is a very desirable bike to steal.

Finding parts for your Harley will be impossible down there. KLR 650 parts can be found in a few places down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
This is why I decided I am converting my Sportster to do RTW even though I have had few people talking me out of it. Couple are still trying! After doing Trans-America Trail, riding KLR650 back to home on I-40 was a very long ride and no fun! Also, I believe that I am destined to ride a harley RTW because I put it on the market for 12 months and not a single email or phone/text call. I put KLR on the market and get over 20 inquires then sold it, all within 2 months?
http://www.journeyrider.net
gatogato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #1493
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Laugh harley ?

when I was 18 years old a long time ago I rode a Harley with stick over the 40 from B.Aires to Comodoro Rivadavia to Rio Mayo and after that the famous 40 to Mendoza. It was and old Harley that was sold as a surplus in B.Aires. My father bought it and I made the whole trip when I was 18 years old. I still remember it because at that time you have to take gas with you, you could not find gas stations and usually the only places to ask or buy gas was at the Gendarmeria Nacional posts that where taking care of the few border crossings. So do not say you cannot make the 40 on a harley, it's difficult, but now you have a lot of pavement, some graded and not so much ripio as it used to be. Probably what it is said about thieves it's true around the capital city (Buenos Aires) but around the country that is not true. do not take counsel of your fears, remember that and enjoy the ride.
woc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #1494
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

You gotta ride what you bring.
Everything has it's compromise. It's all about knowing your machine and your limits on it.
Personally, from all I've gathered, I'd like the bike Bryce is on, at least for solo riding, not sure about two-up.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #1495
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatogato View Post
Well, I figured that I would try and talk some sense into you! If you take that Sportster down there, there are going to be countless opportunities that you will miss out on. No ruta 40, no Coyhaique for you if you take the Harley. Every dirt road is going to annoy the crap out of you instead of excite you like it would on a KLR.

Another, annoying side effect of taking the Harley is Latin American thieves will be way more interested in it than they would a KLR. Every motorcyclist in Latin America wishes he rode a Harley. I really wanted to go to Venezuela, but was too afraid because I had a BMW F650 and that is what the cops rider there, so it is a very desirable bike to steal.

Finding parts for your Harley will be impossible down there. KLR 650 parts can be found in a few places down there.
Oh no my friend, you can definely take a Harley on the Ripio. In fact, I think it may be even more exciting than riding some sissy little jumped up dirt bike. Imagine fishtailing down those washboards at 60 MPh on 700 pounds of pure Americana. That almost makes me want to start singing the national anthem!

Really, you could take anything you want on a trip like this. I don't think you would miss out on anything. Especially if you are turning your sportster into a dirtster! At the beging of this trip I was so concerned about bike choice. At the end of the trip, after seeing people on everything from unicycles to $200k custom overland trucks, I've realized that you can do it on anything. In my opinion, the more oddball the choice, the better!

And I don't think parts will be too much of an issue. It's hard to find parts down here for most big bikes, regardless. Fortunately, there are Harley dealers in most of the big cities.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #1496
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You gotta ride what you bring.
Everything has it's compromise. It's all about knowing your machine and your limits on it.
Personally, from all I've gathered, I'd like the bike Bryce is on, at least for solo riding, not sure about two-up.
Definetly not a good choice for two up!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #1497
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
I might be okay with this.
I found your pinguinos. Pictures to follow. I hope you're happy.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #1498
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Definetly not a good choice for two up!
Thanks Bryce. I'll have to come up with something more suited, then. Maybe wee-Strom...
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #1499
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

!Hay Pinguinos!

Day 157 (March 22, 2013)
Puerto Piramides, Argentina to Las Grutas, Argentina
Day's Ride: 300 Miles

View Larger Map

As I was leaving the campground this morning, I stopped by the office to pay. The guy on duty just looked at me, smiled, and told me not to worry about it. Awesome!

I went by the gas station, fueled up, and then got on the ripio and started riding for the end of the peninsula. The road was incredibly nice, well graded, gravel. I even had a nice tailwind on the way out which made things nice and quiet, and I was able to listen to some NPR podcasts in my headphones.

After about 45 miles of ripio, I reached the end of the peninsula and saw this:

I love the way you say penguin in Spanish: peen-guee-no If you say it with a mexican accent, it just sounds hilarious.

I parked the bike, took two steps, and spotted this little guy peeking his head over the birm:

I just about called it a day right there. List of things to do on SA trip: 23.) See penguins. Check.

I walked up to edge of the overlook and found a whole colony of the little guys hanging out catching some rays.

In reality, there weren't that many, but I hear it's late in the season. Plus, this is one of the small nesting grounds. Puerto Tumbo is supposed to be the real big one down here, but it was too far south for me. A couple of these guys were close enough for me to touch, but I played by the rules and left the "pinguinos" alone.

There's a part of me that wonders what penguins taste like......it would have been so easy to scoop one of these little guys up and stick him on a parilla. Oh well, next time.

After seeing the penguins, I went down the coast a little farther to see if I could find any elephant seals. Unfortunately, I think most of them have left for the season. I did see a few females, but they were really far away.

As I was walking back to my bike, I ran across a few rheas. At least I think that's what they are. I've been seeing these things since Bolivia and at first I thought that someone had turned some emus loose.

In any event, whatever these large flightless birds were, they were pretty tame and I was able to get close enough for some good pictures.

With "Mision Pinguino" complete, I hit the road and made it back to Puerto Piramides to top off my fuel one last time before heading back to the main highway. My luggage rack didn't even break. I think that that may have been the last ripio for the trip. Yeah!

The road north was flat, straight, and uneventful. Luckily, the weather has warmed up considerably since I came north and I was able to enjoy the ride without shivering to death.

Right before I hit the 300 mile mark, I came to a small town on the coast called Las Grutas. I decided that this would be a good place to stop and rolled into town. Apparently this is a big beach vacation spot in the summer. However, with the summer season over, the place is a ghost town. I stopped at three different campgrounds before I finally found one that was open.

The campground that I'm staying at is some sort of retreat for Police officers. However, for 30 Pesos, the public can also camp here. It's pretty nice; they have hot showers, wifi, and electrical outlets at all of the camp sites. Plus I'm the only person here. The caretaker even invited me over to his house for some asado. I provided the beer and we had a little family style dinner while we watched the Argentinian versions of "The Biggest Loser", Lifetime, and MTV. All very entertaining.

After dinner I checked my email and found out that my identity had been stolen and that someone in Kansas City, MO had decided to spend about $300 of my money at Target and Chic-Fil-A.

So now my debit card is on lockdown. I've only got about 100 pesos left. Uh oh. Now I've got some problems.....
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #1500
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Thanks Bryce. I'll have to come up with something more suited, then. Maybe wee-Strom...
Naw, just get a 1200 GS. Those things make great people haulers! They make great haulers in general. You can put so much stuff on a BMW....