Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #916
! Danimal !
--Dan--

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Thanks! Does anyone have any pictures of this stuff?
Check your PM's....the joys of having model that has been unchanged years and years...

! Danimal ! screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 01:01 PM
! Danimal ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #917
diegoteck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Money money moneyyyy

Ulyses,
Now that you are closer to Argentina, let me give you a little advice about how to handle your money down there so you can plan in advance.

Argentina is going through some very interesting times in regard to economics, without getting in to personal opinions, the government has decided to control how much dollars the people can buy.
If you live in Argentina you need to ask the local "IRS" for authorization to buy U$S, if you don't get it, the banks won't sell you anything.
Among other things the government is trying to have their people to have savings in Argentinean Pesos, not in US Dollars.

As a result of heavy control, there is a black market and the price for the dollar in the street is different than the official rate.
For instance today the official rate is $4.49pesos / 1 U$s. but the "dollar blue" o "paralelo" is $7.60pesos/1 U$S.

How does this situation affects you?

When you travel to Argentina you can change your U$S at the airport in an Exchange office at the official rate, once you are ready to leave, you can change your remaining pesos back to dollars, only if you saved the receipt from purchase. I don't know how it work when you enter driving from Bolivia or Chile.
But is always at the official rate.

I don't know how you handle you money, but if you just use your debit or credit card, the official rate applies, but all prices are set by the black market rate.

You will soon find out that your money doesn't go very far in Argentina, it'll be an expensive country, nothing like central America.

Luckily there is one LEGAL and SAFE way to change your dollars for about 60% more than the official rate.
www.xoom.com

From xoom.com you can send money to yourself, you need to create an user, link your US bank account (routing and account number), and send money. Today the exchange rate for xoom.com is $7.0881pesos/ 1 U$S . To send U$S 1,000 the fee is $30. and you get $7,088.15 pesos.
But if you go to the bank U$S 1,030 will get you $4,624.70 pesos at today's official rate. HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

You can pick up cash at "MORE Money Transfers" they have few offices outside Buenos Aires, but they have one office in Mendoza and one in Chubut you could use.. I think there is one office in Jujuy too, border with Bolivia.

I've used XOOM.COM to send money to a bank account, it took a few days and it worked like a charm, the cash pick up option should be available in 30 min but they take 48hs to take the money from your bank account, I don't know if the 30 min only applies if you start the transfer from a debit card ( higher fee).
Let me know if you plan to use it, I could find out for sure if the office in the provinces are open.

Ride safe.

diegoteck screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 04:06 PM
diegoteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #918
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Day 102 (January 25, 2013)
La Paz, Boliva
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

I took out my pass for a lazy day today and didn't really do too much save for update the ride report, patch my spare rear tube, apply stickers to my boxes, and drink beer.

I did manage to go to a Honda shop and buy some oil for my upcoming oil change. While I was there I asked for a recommendation for a good "llanteria" (tire shop). I was sent over to Teo's, which was housed in a small shack on a back alley. Teo hooked me up and did a vulcanized patch on the big hole that resulted from the metal share that I picked up outside of Cusco.

Beings that it only cost a dollar, I figured that this would result in a higher quality patch than anything I could do myself.

During the taxi ride back to the hostel, somebody started honking at my cabby and he exploded in a verbal barage.

"The people here are animals! I swear, it's like driving in hell!"

This was all in Spanish and it had me dying laughing. His tirade continued for a good five minutes before eventually petering out.

I spent the rest of the day vegging out and drinking beer. Tomorrow we ride the death road!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #919
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Muy interesante! Buena suerte en la via a la muerte!!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 09:13 PM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #920
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Diegoteck,

Thanks for calling the hostel in Cusco; that still blows my mind! Here's your spot:

Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #921
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Cosmocanuck,

Wow! Thanks so much. Stay warm up there! Here you are:

Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #922
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

nukem,

Thanks a ton man! You Canadians sure are a generous bunch! Here's your spot:

Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #923
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Well, OK I guess

If you are going to dispose of the bike in the Straits at Tierra del Fuego, at least save the Blaze Orange tool bag.

Looking forward to the Death Road (whatever that is!). Stay safe.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #924
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

PDX Alamo,

After this, the first beer is on me! Thanks man, I owe you one. Here's your slot:

Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #925
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Dave,

I'm not sure if you are reading this, but I'm sure Justin will fill you in. Thanks so much for stepping up and helping me out! I've marked out your territory on my tank:

Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #926
jaredwilson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just registered today so that I could say how fun it has been to read your RR. This thread is like a book you just can't put down. I'm planning to do a similar trip in the future and have benefitted greatly by the information you've included in this report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'll throw you a bit on your paypal to help you along your way. Can't wait for the Death Road! Be safe and have fun!
jaredwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #927
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
Hey Bryce,

I was just on Giant Loops site and noticed they had new soft panniers for sale. If you did your trip again, would you ride with soft luggage like this?

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...kiyou-panniers
Hey man, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

The short answer is yes.

Of course, if I had a different bike (say a KTM 990 or BMW 1200 GS) I would go with hard luggage. My bike just wasn't built to carry all of that weight. It has a weak subframe and there aren't a lot of options for good solid luggage racks. In fact, I don't think there are ANY options for a solid rack. I think if I did it again on this bike with hard luggage, I would just build my own rack. I have had to go to visit five different welders to repair my rack. My experience isn't typical, but then again, most people aren't trying to pull wheelies off of speedbumps or see how fast they can ride in the dirt on the shoulder of the road.

Still, it depends on what you are wanting to do. If you are planning on spending a LOT of time off road, then soft luggage is really the only way to go. Regardless of the bike you ride, soft luggage is going to weigh significantly less than anything else and therefore put less stress on your bike. For a long ride like this, every ounce counts, especially if you plan on abusing your bike like I have mine.

The drawback to soft luggage is that you will have to be a little more careful about leaving it unattended on your bike. The nice thing about hardluggage is that you can leave it on your bike at night and not worry about it. This saves a little bit of time every day when you stop and get to your hotel/hostel/hospedaje/camp site.

I think you are on a BMW x-challenge right? Do they make a good luggage rack for that bike?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #928
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredwilson View Post
Just registered today so that I could say how fun it has been to read your RR. This thread is like a book you just can't put down. I'm planning to do a similar trip in the future and have benefitted greatly by the information you've included in this report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'll throw you a bit on your paypal to help you along your way. Can't wait for the Death Road! Be safe and have fun!
Thanks a lot man! Where are you from?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #929
jaredwilson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Thanks a lot man! Where are you from?
Sorry, haven't filled out the signature stuff yet. I'm in Chicago. It's 15 degrees with snow on the ground right now so I, like many others, am living vicariously through your RR.

jaredwilson screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 10:35 PM
jaredwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #930
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
... In fact, I don't think there are ANY options for a solid rack. ... ...most people aren't trying to pull wheelies off of speedbumps or see how fast they can ride in the dirt on the shoulder of the road. ...
Did you take a look at the Happy Trail setup? I haven't, but I've heard tell it's good.

It's true, most people aren't trying to master their bike, just ride it.

I think they secretly like us crazy gringos down there, though.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote