Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1006
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,903
bryce, might of missed it but did you rejet the carb for the high desert areas, wondering on your loss of power with the thin air? rtwpaul
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #1007
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Great Riding With You

Dude, it was great riding with you! We had some epic days. Let's try and hook back up for a beer on my way back north--or at a minimum when I get back to B'ham and you get back to the Herm.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I started a bike shipping thread in the Americas Trip Planning forum to try and track down a solid shipping option from Santiago to Seattle. I'll keep you posted on what I find. So far, I have found one option from Valparaiso to Seattle for ~$2,000 via boat that would leave at the end of March/early April. I was hoping that the boat cost would be less than $2,000, so maybe we can pool our efforts to find a cheaper option? Heck, for $2,000 I'll probably just air freight the damn thing back to LA, and then ride from LA up to Nevada where I left my trailer.

Okay, let me know what you find out.

Oh, there is a great $11 campsite in La Lagunas. No WeFee, but it was quiet. Check my Spotwalla page for the location.

I also found a sweet stealth campsite near Puerto Viejo, which you road right by on your way south out of Caldera. I love stealth camping.

I'm currently at the La Casa Roja in Santiago, which I would strongly suggest that you skip. The WeFee is solid, but only in one area--and the place is more party than anything--so the dorms are loud. So hopefully you can avoid my mistake and get a good night's sleep.

Santiago, Valparaiso and the Coast is amazing once you get south of the desert. It's eerily like Oregon/Northern California. At one point I thought I was in the US--really.

I also found the Honda shop in Santiago--plus a ton of other moto shops. Let me know if you need a few lat/longs.

Okay, I'm about to head out for Pucon (480 miles). Hasta luego.
Aventeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #1008
Hewby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Hey guys. If you find a boat shipping to Seattle cheaply I would be in. But it seems air shipping has less hidden fees.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #1009
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventeren View Post
Dude, it was great riding with you! We had some epic days. Let's try and hook back up for a beer on my way back north--or at a minimum when I get back to B'ham and you get back to the Herm.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I started a bike shipping thread in the Americas Trip Planning forum to try and track down a solid shipping option from Santiago to Seattle. I'll keep you posted on what I find. So far, I have found one option from Valparaiso to Seattle for ~$2,000 via boat that would leave at the end of March/early April. I was hoping that the boat cost would be less than $2,000, so maybe we can pool our efforts to find a cheaper option? Heck, for $2,000 I'll probably just air freight the damn thing back to LA, and then ride from LA up to Nevada where I left my trailer.

Okay, let me know what you find out.

Oh, there is a great $11 campsite in La Lagunas. No WeFee, but it was quiet. Check my Spotwalla page for the location.

I also found a sweet stealth campsite near Puerto Viejo, which you road right by on your way south out of Caldera. I love stealth camping.

I'm currently at the La Casa Roja in Santiago, which I would strongly suggest that you skip. The WeFee is solid, but only in one area--and the place is more party than anything--so the dorms are loud. So hopefully you can avoid my mistake and get a good night's sleep.

Santiago, Valparaiso and the Coast is amazing once you get south of the desert. It's eerily like Oregon/Northern California. At one point I thought I was in the US--really.

I also found the Honda shop in Santiago--plus a ton of other moto shops. Let me know if you need a few lat/longs.

Okay, I'm about to head out for Pucon (480 miles). Hasta luego.
Dude, if you could email me the lat longs for the Honda shop, I would appreciate it. How much longer are you going to be in Santiago?
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #1010
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

So, I've been stealth camping along the coast for the past two days and ill probably be camping again tonight one last time before I head into Santiago. In other news, I lost my camera charger during the Lagunas route, so it looks like I'll be using the iPhone for pics until I can find another one.

Sorry for the lack of posts, ill get back on it soon! By the way, Chile=$$$$
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #1011
Yuraco
Ciudadano de Sudamerica

Oddometer: 22
Hi Ulyses : i enjoyed your epic trip to ushuaia, these are the number for your gps to find the motorcycle shop in santiago (-33.382505,-70.547891) the streets are Av. Vitacura and Av. Padre Hurtado, you could find a lot of accesories for your bike but is expensive
if you need any advice or help with your spanish to buy anything in Santiago send a DM. I hope to share a beer with you

Regards from Santiago Chile
Yuraco
'07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'06 Sym GTS 250
Yuraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #1012
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
.... In other news, I lost my camera charger during the Lagunas route, so it looks like I'll be using the iPhone for pics until I can find another one. ...
And the vendors look at me with consternation when I insist my small point-and-shoots be double-A powered.

Ride safe!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #1013
roadcapDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wowsa!

Truly awsome Dude, lovin' everything about your trip...someday...
Keep on...and Thanks!

PS - 2 H-D's and an Aermacchi

"Nice beaver",,,"Thanks, I just had it stuffed"

Some of my scoots have (starter) motors but all are enginecycles...
roadcapDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1014
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuraco View Post
Hi Ulyses : i enjoyed your epic trip to ushuaia, these are the number for your gps to find the motorcycle shop in santiago (-33.382505,-70.547891) the streets are Av. Vitacura and Av. Padre Hurtado, you could find a lot of accesories for your bike but is expensive
if you need any advice or help with your spanish to buy anything in Santiago send a DM. I hope to share a beer with you

Regards from Santiago Chile
Yuraco
Muchas gracias! Te mande una PM! Wana grab a beer?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #1015
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcapDen View Post
PS - 2 H-D's and an Aermacchi
Awesome! Which ones? I miss my Dyna so bad right now....
Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1016
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

Honda in Santiago, plus tires, chains, sprockets, filters, sparkplugs

Yo. The Honda shop in Santiago is located here:

lat/long: -33.399137,-70.552271
address: 8063 Las Condes, Santiago, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Chile

I'm not sure what your plans are, but I went south out of Santiago, and it's pretty rad. I'm currently in Villaricca near Pucon, and it's like Oregon, Washington and Northern California all rolled into one. I could live here. Whoa.

There are also a bunch of other shops located on Presidente Kennedy, which is north from Las Condes. What I would suggest doing (given that the majority of the ship on Kennedy are on the north side of the street (and getting over to the south side of the street is a bear), I would suggest taking Las Condes north (ie, on the BMW side of the street, not the Honda side of the street), and go north to Padra Huntado and hang a left. Then hang another left on to Kennedy. Get all the way over to the right side of the street (you'll see what I mean), and then ride REALLY slow because there are a ton of shops near here. I found Metzler for tires, but Metzler also has a whole range of other stuff, like chains and sprockets, filters, spark plugs, etc for a whole range of bikes--plus I think I saw a temperature dipstick. So allocate a couple of hours--you can find anything you need in this area.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #1017
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewby View Post
Hey guys. If you find a boat shipping to Seattle cheaply I would be in. But it seems air shipping has less hidden fees.
I say we go Priate, hi-jack a ship, load the bikes on board, sail it back to the states (Mike can captain 'cause he grew up on a fishing boat), unload, then sell it to a scrap yard in Mexico....
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #1018
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
bryce, might of missed it but did you rejet the carb for the high desert areas, wondering on your loss of power with the thin air? rtwpaul
Hey paul,

No, I didn't rejet. I have the leaner jets, but I would probably had to have taken the choke cable out to get to them. The last time I rejetted, I stripped some of the little plastic threads where the choke cable screws in to the carb but was still able to get it back....so... I'm afraid that If i take the choke cable out of my carb again, the few remaining plastic threads on the screw would strip off....

....so I just adjusted the mixture screw and turned up the idle. It ran okay; it was definetly a lot weaker up there, but it didn't randomly die on me and I made it through just fine. Still, it would have been awesome to have been able to do some wheelies up there....maybe next time. Actually, next time I need a fuel injected bike.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #1019
Aventeren
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm down...

Seriously, let's try and coordinate on getting our bikes back to Seattle. It sounds like we are all needing basically the same thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I say we go Priate, hi-jack a ship, load the bikes on board, sail it back to the states (Mike can captain 'cause he grew up on a fishing boat), unload, then sell it to a scrap yard in Mexico....
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #1020
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Thanks Bryce for taking us all along on the journey. Safe travels.

What kind of sandwich is that in the pic - looks like a large torta?
In Mexico I don't think they make them that big.
It's a massive Hamburgesa! I would kill for a Mexican torta right now....