Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #1126
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Checking his Spot locator it looks like Bryce is holed up in some sort of quarry. With sustained winds from the south of 50 kph, rain and temps in the 40s I think i would do the same.

Suerte amigo,
Tio Juanito
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1127
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
He's here with me (in Rio Gallegos). He just left to the Hostel to rest.
Right now he have some heavy raining and a lot of wind, but it isn't as cold as in the morning.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #1128
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Riding the Pampas

Day 123 (February 15, 2013)
Gobenador Costa, Argentina to Fitz Roy, Argentina
Day's Ride: 336 Miles

Today was all Pampas.

There isn't really much to see; just lot's of scrub brush, the ocasional animal, and an unbeliavably strong crosswind.

About two hours into the ride, I felt something hit the top of my leg. I figured that something had fallen off my bike; a quick look revealed that the bolt holding my windscreen to the fairing strut had fallen out.

I pulled over and fixed it with a zip tie before turning around and riding slowly back up the road with my eyes glued to the pavement, hunting for the missing bolt. I amazed myself by actually finding it a few hundred meters back up the road:

For lunch I stopped at a roadside place for some Choripanes. Chori-pan = Chorizo (Sausage) + Pan (Bread). Essentially it's a sausage sandwich. Quite tasty.

I had to wait a few minutes while the couple that was running the joint went to get some more pan; meanwhile, I tended the meat:

I was sitting next to a small field and a little gurgling irrigation ditch; it was all very peaceful and bucholic.

The rest of the day was rather boring. I started passing lots of oil wells and eventually reached the Atlantic Ocean.

After riding for most of the day, I called it quits in the tiny little town of Fitz Roy. My rear tire was about shot by this time, so before looking for a place to stay, I went to the little Gomeria that I had seen on the edge of town and paid to have my tire changed.

I could have done it myself; however, I was pretty beat from the road and I figured that I could spare $4 to have a pro do it in about 10 minutes vice spending 30-40 minutes doing it myself.

After the tire change, I was riding around town trying to find a hotel when I noticed a small dragging feeling coming from what I thought was the new tire. I got off to check, but couldn't find anything wrong, so I kept riding. Little did I know this would cause a fairly serious problem later....

I found a decent hotel a few minutes later.

The owner turned out to be a tough negotiator. The price for nights stay: a sausage:

Luckily he settled for a few bites of my Ramen noodles and we were soon fast friends:

The hotel had wifi; unfortunately, it wasn't working and I couldn't reset the router because it was locked inside of an office that no one seemed to have a key for.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #1129
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

400 Miles of Misery and More Bike Problems....

Day 124 (February 16, 2013)
Fitz Roy, Argentina to Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Day's Ride: 393 Miles

What can be said about a 400 mile ride on a thumper in horrible weather? Not much, other than it sucks. It really sucks.

The day actually started out okay. Leaving Fitz Roy the wind was fairly mild (not much above 15 mph) and the sun was out. I actually stopped to take a few pictures of some guanacos that were beside the road:

About 100 miles into the ride, my bike unexpectedly died. I coasted into the shoulder while undergoing a mild panic attack, convinced that my worst fear had come true: a dead bike only 500 miles from the finish!

I jumped off and was about to open up the battery box to check the CDI when I realized that I had just hit reserve on my fuel tank. Duh! I mentally kicked myself, then turned the petcocks to reserve and kept riding. This new tank bag is awesome, but it does block my view of the fuel level unless I lean out a little bit. Combine that with a strong head wind and high fuel consumption and I ran out of fuel much sooner than expected. Luckily, I was only six miles from a gas station when I ran low.

After I filled up, things started getting bad. I was soon reduced to a shivering mess, huddled behind my tiny windscreen with my electric vest at full blast. I would ride for about 70 miles, then stop at the nearest gas station and spend thirty minutes warming up, then keep riding. Pictures were out of the question. At one gas station I bought a kilo of Matte, a gourd, and a small thermos and just sat drinking Matte for about an hour and a half.

The last 20 miles into Rio Gallegos brought a welcome easterly turn and the crosswind that had nearly blown me over several times that day turned into an amazing tail wind. I also saw my first sign for Ushuaia. So close!

I breezed into Rio Gallegos and stopped at a gas station to check my email and see if I could link up with Manolito. It turned out that he was only a mile away. Cleanwatt was also in town and wanted to link up, but he had already left the wifi zone and wasn't responding to emails....

I zipped over to Manolitos house and he invited me inside where I collapsed exhausted at his kitchen table. I eventually worked up the strength to walk to the Pizza shop with him and we picked up a few pizzas and a few beers and went back to his house for dinner.

After dinner I was showing him something on my bike when I realized that my chain guard was totally shot and hanging off of the swing arm! Now I knew what that damn dragging feeling was from yesterday!

It was so busted that the chain had been eating into the swing arm all day; I had thought I had felt something different throughout the day, but I couldn't place it; I attributed it all to the typical vibrations put out by a big single cylinder bike. Turns out it was my chain carving some nice grooves in my bike.

I suppose that I've been keeping my chain too loose. After ruining the chain that I put on in Colombia, I've been making sure that this new one was a little looser. Still, I think it killed my chain guard in record time. How fast do these things normally wear out? I just bought this one back in Lima, it's only been about 5,000 to 6,000 miles.

This kind of put me in a pickle. I didn't really want to ride the bike anywhere with the chain doing metal to metal contact. Luckily, Manolito hooked me up and let keep the bike at his house. He even took me to a hotel in his car. I got to the hotel and took a long, hot shower then crashed. Chain guard problems could be worried about in the morning.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1130
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 246
Pissed Chain Slipper

Bryce, Try flipping the slipper over and see if it will remount.The buttom never wears out. The screws won't be the same, but it may work.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #1131
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Bryce, Try flipping the slipper over and see if it will remount.The buttom never wears out. The screws won't be the same, but it may work.
That's an excellent suggestion! You just need to drill some new mounting holes. I will search for a post on this subject.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 02:50 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #1132
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Okay; I found a thread on inverting the chain slider.

http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28204

After inverting the chain slider, use a single-edge razor blade to cut a new positioning slot in the front of the slider so it will fit the nub on the swingarm.

Then drill a 1/8" hole on the top and bottom of the swingarm, and install self-tapping screws to hold the slider in place.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #1133
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

After inverting the chain slider, use a single-edge razor blade to cut a new positioning slot in the front of the slider so it will fit the nub on the swingarm.

Then drill a 1/8" hole on the top and bottom of the swingarm, and install self-tapping screws to hold the slider in place.

Spud
That may just be the ticket! Make sure to lube up that chain really good.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #1134
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome....kind of....

Day 125 (February 17, 2013)
Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Day's Ride: 1 Mile

I awoke at 7:00 AM, still tired, but unable to go back to sleep. After eating the included "breakfast" at the hotel, I hunted down an ATM and some cash. I say "breakfast" because when a hotel or hostel down here says that breakfast is included, what they really mean is that you can have a few slices of bread and a cup of coffee.

I finally made it back to Manolito's house and we got to work on the issue of fabricating a new chain guard. Manolito had a thick piece of rubber matting underneath some furniture in his shop and he let me cut out a big piece of it.

After much hacking and cursing, we finally managed to fabricate something that sort of resembled the old chain guard.

After a little more work, we finally got it to where it would fit on the bike.

About this time a serious deluge of rain centered itself on Rio Gallegos and I decided that I wouldn't be riding anywhere today.

As we were putting on the new chain guard, I noticed another problem:

This is where the master link should be. Unfortunately, this is not a DID master link; I have a feeling that the mechanics just used some of the pins from where they shortened the chain to hook it all back together. Hell, they hadn't even heard of an X-ring chain until I told them about it, maybe they hadn't heard of a rivet style master link? This just goes to show you that you should never let a mechanic (especially in Central or South America) do something that you can do yourself.

In any event, the holes in the plate are stretched out; there is now play between the pin and the plate and I can slide the link pin back and forth laterally by about 1mm. I assume that at some not to distant point in the future, if I keep riding with the chain the way it is, then that plate is going to give out and my chain is going to break.

So now I have another dilema. I have two DID rivet style master links that I stold from Ed Zachtamundo after he got hit in El Salvador. I think the right thing to do would be to remove the damaged links and hook everything back up with a fresh master link. Unfortunately, they are for the "VT2" model; my chain is the VM model and I'm not sure if they are compatible. Even if they are compatible, I don't have the chain press tool to put it together. I realize that it can be done shade-tree style with a c-clamp, a nut, and a ball bearing, but I don't have those things either. For those of you that are reading along that are in the know, this is where I need your advice!

I think I could probably make it the last 300 miles into Ushuaia, but I think that the smart move would be to stay here until I can fix this.

My other problem is that it feels like chain is catching and not tracking correctly on my ghetto rigged chain guard. I think that the chain is too close to the inside of the bike and the inside track of the chain is catching on the jagged rubber edge of the chain guard. I'm thinking that if I flopped the countersprocket over so that the bulbous side faces towards the transmission that it would put the chain slightly to the outside of the new chain guard, thereby alliviating my problem.....which brings me to my next question: can I do that? Or does the boulbus part of the countersprocket absolutely need to be facing towards the outside of the bike?

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do right now. I think I'm going to go to the bike shop here in town in the morning and see if they can help. Until then, any advice from via the web would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #1135
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Spud

Wow Spud, once again you come through in a pinch! Thanks! My only problem would be finding some self taping screws. Maybe I can find some tommorrow when all of the ferreterias open up. If I can flop it over and use the underside, I could get rid of the one that I made today; it feels like the chain is catching on it. It may be too thick..
Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #1136
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Rio Gallegos, Argentina
Day's Ride: 1 Mile

I awoke at 7:00 AM, still tired, but unable to go back to sleep. After eating the included "breakfast" at the hotel, I hunted down an ATM and some cash. I say "breakfast" because when a hotel or hostel down here says that breakfast is included, what they really mean is that you can have a few slices of bread and a cup of coffee.

I finally made it back to Manolito's house and we got to work on the issue of fabricating a new chain guard. Manolito had a thick piece of rubber matting underneath some furniture in his shop and he let me cut out a big piece of it.

After much hacking and cursing, we finally managed to fabricate something that sort of resembled the old chain guard.

After a little more work, we finally got it to where it would fit on the bike.

About this time a serious deluge of rain centered itself on Rio Gallegos and I decided that I wouldn't be riding anywhere today.

As we were putting on the new chain guard, I noticed another problem:

This is where the master link should be. Unfortunately, this is not a DID master link; I have a feeling that the mechanics just used some of the pins from where they shortened the chain to hook it all back together. Hell, they hadn't even heard of an X-ring chain until I told them about it, maybe they hadn't heard of a rivet style master link? This just goes to show you that you should never let a mechanic (especially in Central or South America) do something that you can do yourself.

In any event, the holes in the plate are stretched out; there is now play between the pin and the plate and I can slide the link pin back and forth laterally by about 1mm. I assume that at some not to distant point in the future, if I keep riding with the chain the way it is, then that plate is going to give out and my chain is going to break.

So now I have another dilema. I have two DID rivet style master links that I stold from Ed Zachtamundo after he got hit in El Salvador. I think the right thing to do would be to remove the damaged links and hook everything back up with a fresh master link. Unfortunately, they are for the "VT2" model; my chain is the VM model and I'm not sure if they are compatible. Even if they are compatible, I don't have the chain press tool to put it together. I realize that it can be done shade-tree style with a c-clamp, a nut, and a ball bearing, but I don't have those things either. For those of you that are reading along that are in the know, this is where I need your advice!

I think I could probably make it the last 300 miles into Ushuaia, but I think that the smart move would be to stay here until I can fix this.

My other problem is that it feels like chain is catching and not tracking correctly on my ghetto rigged chain guard. I think that the chain is too close to the inside of the bike and the inside track of the chain is catching on the jagged rubber edge of the chain guard. I'm thinking that if I flopped the countersprocket over so that the bulbous side faces towards the transmission that it would put the chain slightly to the outside of the new chain guard, thereby alliviating my problem.....which brings me to my next question: can I do that? Or does the boulbus part of the countersprocket absolutely need to be facing towards the outside of the bike?

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do right now. I think I'm going to go to the bike shop here in town in the morning and see if they can help. Until then, any advice from via the web would be greatly appreciated!
Get a big pair of Vice grips. I've done it before in a pinch. Tighten them up as tight as you can and sqweeze the hell out of the link pin. Make sure you have both sides of the pin inside the grip jaws. Then pull the vise grips off while still tight.You may need to twist the grips some. This should bugger the master link pin. You may need to do this more than one time to get it to flare. Do both pins. . The flared pins keep the plate from falling off.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1137
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow Spud, once again you come through in a pinch! Thanks! My only problem would be finding some self taping screws. Maybe I can find some tommorrow when all of the ferreterias open up. If I can flop it over and use the underside, I could get rid of the one that I made today; it feels like the chain is catching on it. It may be too thick..
You're welcome.

I strongly suggest you ditch the home made chain slider, and invert your Honda chain slider. The modified, Honda chain slider is known to work well, and won't cause you any problems. If you can't find self-tapping screws, drill the two holes and have a mechanic/machinist tap them for a commonly available thread.

You definitely need to tighten that pin in the drive chain. Try Super Dave's method, and see if it works for you. If you can find a steel plate, try setting it behind the loose pin, and hit the outward side with a hammer. However, I wouldn't trust any repair for too long. If I were you, I would install a new drive chain myself at the first opportunity.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 04:15 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #1138
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:

The bulbous part should face the trans. Could this be the source of his chain woes?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post19627542
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #1139
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Quote:
You're welcome.

I strongly suggest you ditch the home made chain slider, and invert your Honda chain slider. The modified, Honda chain slider is known to work well, and won't cause you any problems. If you can't find self-tapping screws, drill the two holes and have a mechanic/machinist tap them for a commonly available thread.

You definitely need to tighten that pin in the drive chain. Try Super Dave's method, and see if it works for you. If you can find a steel plate, try setting it behind the loose pin, and hit the outward side with a hammer. However, I wouldn't trust any repair for too long. If I were you, I would install a new drive chain myself at the first opportunity.

Spud
I agree with Spud.Looking at your photos it looks like the inside plates are worn pretty bad also. I tried to find the pin size of the master links but they are not listed on DID web site. Our store doesn't have the VM in stock to measure either. I would try to find another chain even if it means something used as yours is worn pretty bad.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #1140
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
You're welcome.

Spud
Hey, Ulyses,

Don't be too worried. We (ummmm, I) have done all of that before, and the bike still works. Specifically, you are not the first person to ride the bike too long with a chain slider, and eat into the swing arm with your chain. The swing arm will be just fine, believe me. As long as the chain didn't mind, then you will be fine.

Your chain slider repair looks good to me, but I agree with SpudRider on this one. It is an easy fix to just flip the slider over. You never use the bottom half. Don't worry about the special screws, just jerry rig something. It will be fine.

Now that you have figured out the XRR countershaft sprocket, all will be fine--the extra tension on the chain is gone.

Yes, you have to fix the ghetto master link. Once you do that, the chain slider, CSS, and eaten swing arm problems will all disappear. On yer bike, off to Tierra del Fuego with ya.

PD