Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #1261
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
I have a friend there. Do you want me to ask him? or do you think that it's ok with the info I gave you ?

Without the beard, you look younger than me

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #1262
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I have a friend there. Do you want me to ask him? or do you think that it's ok with the info I gave you ?

Without the beard, you look younger than me
In Punta Arenas? I think I only have the info for Alejandro Lago. Wasn't he the guy from Rio Grande?

I don't think I look younger than you.....well, maybe I do.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #1263
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Alejandro Lago, the one you have on your phone, is from Punta Arenas

Old 02-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #1264
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post

Alejandro Lago, the one you have on your phone, is from Punta Arenas
Cool! I'll hit him up when I get there. Does he speak english?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #1265
Manolito
Patagonia guide

I'm sure he does. If not, I'll call him for you

Old 02-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #1266
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Using Mobil One synthetic oil, it would be possible to do the entire trip without changing the oil, just keeping it topped up, without any oil-related ill-effects. I'm sure most people will go but I know - I ran a car 30,000 miles between oil changes since new break-in and the engine was spotless and showed little wear at 120,000 miles. The oil change intervals specified by the manufacturers are very conservative and based on using standard oil which doesn't come close to offering the protection and durability of Mobil One.

So whether you throw the locally available oil in there or not depends on what oil you have in there now and how it looks. If it's really black, change it, but verify the replacement oil doesn't have the friction modifiers added that qualify it for "Energy Conserving".
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #1267
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
You know, there is a ton of diesel oil down here. They have Rimula, which I think is Rotella re-labled for Latin American. Unfortunately, it doesn't say if it's JASO rated or not like Rotella does back in the states. That's why I haven't been using it. Anyone know if Rimula is safe to use?
Shell Rimula is good oil, just make sure to get the correct weight.

15W/40
10W/40
10W/30

All those oils should work well in your XR650L. Just avoid any oil which says "energy conserving" on the label. The energy conserving oils won't work well with your bike's wet clutch. Personally, I would choose whatever 15W/40 motor oil was least expensive. Is the Rimula R4 oil available for a good price? If so, I would get the Rimula R4.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 03:00 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #1268
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Shell Rimula is good oil, just make sure to get the correct weight.

15W/40
10W/40
10W/30

All those oils should work well in your XR650L. Just avoid any oil which says "energy conserving" on the label. The energy conserving oils won't work well with your bike's wet clutch. Personally, I would choose whatever 15W/40 motor oil was least expensive. Is the Rimula R4 oil available for a good price? If so, I would get the Rimula R4.

Spud
Okay, I think the next oil change is going to be with Rimula R4. I was able to find some Motul 10W-40 synthetic today; it cost $21 a liter!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1269
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Ushuaia

Day 131 (February 23, 2013)
Ushuaia, Argentina
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

For today's map, I have a little something that's been getting passed around amongst some of the riders down here:

Other than the "slow" Harley riders part, I'd say that this is one of the most accurate maps I've ever seen. I ride my Harley quite fast, thank you. Just not in corners.

After a late night celebrating last night, I slept in till 11:00 AM this morning.

I didn't do much for the rest of the day. Sat in my tent and read a book, wrote some emails, and hunted for a little oil. I also visited a local mechanic and asked him if he thought my wheel bearings were going bad. He had me lift the bike up and tugged on each of the wheels a bit and said that he thought they were fine. So, looks like the tugging feeling is coming from my chain rubbing on the improvised chain slider. I think. Who knows? I'll just have to keep riding and see if it gets worse.

I was finally able to find some 10W-40 oil. Unfortunately, it cost $21 dollars a liter! Looks like I'm the one buying unicorn blood now! From here on out I'm going to use Rimula R4.

On my way back to the campground I saw this sign in the harbor:

I think if I were British, I would think twice about coming to Argentina, especially by boat. You might get hung as a Pirate. I want to talk to some more Argentinians about their views on the Malvinas (Falkland Islands); I've really only talked to Manolito about it and I'm curious to see what other people think about the whole situation. I find it kind of fascinating. Everywhere I go I see road signs proclaiming "Las Malvinas son Argentinas!" (The Falklands are Argentinian). I've even seen a lot of maps that list the Falklands as Argentinian territory and have the capital city of Stanley renamed as "Puerto Argentino". If you are Argentinian and are reading this, please feel free to chime in.

Tomorrow I'm going to ride to the Chilean side of Tierra del Fuego and try and catch the ferry to Punta Arenas. If the ferry is operating, it's a two hour ride. I'm all out of dramamine. This could get interesting.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #1270
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

That old sprocket still has flat tops, so it should be fine to run for a while.

As far as the lower/rear chain slider, you can ride without it installed. Spud doesn't have one installed on his and has had no issues resulting from it. A few weeks ago I discovered I had the same problem (old chain had eaten through into the bolt). I went ahead and replaced mine because it was only $10 from the dealer for a new one.

I'd say run the old sprocket, and run without that slider and you will be fine.

Edit: I didn't read far enough ahead to see that these points were already covered by On and Off and Spud. Carry on!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over

Mossy-Back screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 09:34 PM
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1271
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 224
Hey Bryce,
That old sprocket looks as good as my new one! I rode with out my chain guide for weeks. Just keep that chain lubed up and adjusted and you'll be fine.
One question tho, Where the hell are the penquins?
Dave

RIDE ON!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #1272
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 772
Pertinant

The people to ask would be the citizens of the islands-You know the folks that actually live there!
Al
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #1273
DZIK
...jest dziki!!!

Oddometer: 2
Bryce, THANX for the great RR. I would read your report into deep dark night (1-2am) and still had to get up at 5am to work sooooooooooooooo lots of yawning and toothpics holding up my eyelids hehe It was worth it though as I really enjoyed it and the pics that would bring back the memories of that distant land jeje. I trekked S.America 2-3 years ago for 8 months. In many places I wished I had a mode of transportation to get to some remote places and just see more a bit better (especially the Salar area where you can climb its volcanos). This past christmas I bought myself 2008 XR650L hehe; same as yours. Now I'm prepping it for adventure. Once it'll be ready it's gonna be a ticking time bomb to drop everything and just point my wheel anywhere and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I want to go to many places and also go back to SA and revisit some of the roads less traveled.

I might be too late with my recommendation to stay in Ushuaya and do some trekking there. I was mesmerized by that place. Something about it that didn't want to let me go and I will go back there for sure. I actually haven't even go to the park. I trekked the mountains around it and it was AWESOME, well... minus the beaver damage. Also Isla Navarino with its Dientes de Navarino across the channel are on my to do list.

I haven't been (due to lack of transport) but on your way to Punta Arenas, before you hit the ferry you can see king penguins, hug them or even take one home if he'll cooperate hehe. They hang out on the property of Estancia Tres Hermanos. Two years ago you could just ask for permission and you could go and check them out without paying anything. I don't know what's the situation now.

Well if you would like to do some trekking I might give you some recommenadations as I'm all about the mountains and I've done quite a few in the Andes. Just let me know what were you thinking off (also how long and which route) and I can give you my 2 cents about it. I have a blog at http://dziktravels.blogspot.com and picture links from there. Since it's quite long I can point you to your areas of intrest. I'm sure the pixs will make you want to go hehe. Often I fall back into nostalgia longing for being there...
DZIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #1274
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
A thought on the dragging feeling you are getting. Could you brakes be dragging? I know you said you replaced the rears but I wonder if the slave or master cylinder may be getting dirty and not allowing the cylinder to release completely. The dragging would increase after riding and warming up the brakes. You can try releaving some pressure by pressing the the cylinders back into the mount. Then try riding without hitting the back brake and see if the dragging has gone away. Also an unusually warm or hot to the touch brake rotor would indicate dragging brakes. I know sticking brakes happen often on older Wings because the fluid return hole in the master cylinder gets clogged.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #1275
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
A thought on the dragging feeling you are getting. Could you brakes be dragging? I know you said you replaced the rears but I wonder if the slave or master cylinder may be getting dirty and not allowing the cylinder to release completely. The dragging would increase after riding and warming up the brakes. You can try releaving some pressure by pressing the the cylinders back into the mount. Then try riding without hitting the back brake and see if the dragging has gone away. Also an unusually warm or hot to the touch brake rotor would indicate dragging brakes. I know sticking brakes happen often on older Wings because the fluid return hole in the master cylinder gets clogged.
Bryce,

I agree with Jay; something is amiss. I encourage you to prop up the rear wheel and examine the entire drive train and rear wheel, starting with the rear brake caliper.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote