Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #1276
Mehaniotis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Probably from being sumerged in the salt water few weeks back.
Take the bike for a short spin ,stop, place your hand on the brake disks .First the front than the rear. If the disks are too hot for your hand , you have brake caliper issues . Probable salt water rust.

Hope you find the problem.
Mehaniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #1277
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Escape From Tierra del Fuego...

Day 131 (February 24, 2013)
Ushuaia, Argentina to Punta Arenas, Chile
Day's Ride: 275 Miles

I spent most of last night shivering in my tent. I only brought a 35 degree bag and it was defenitly not enough last night. It was too cold to take pictures when I left Ushuaia this morning. I'm pretty sure it was in the 40's. After riding about 100 miles, it finally started to warm up. I crossed the Tierra del Fuego border back into Chile and was immediately back in the ripio (gravel).

I had to make it to Porvenir by 5:00 PM to catch the only ferry back to the mainland that went directly to Punta Arenas. If I missed that one, I would have to ride another 100 miles back to the other ferry and then another 100 miles to Punta Arenas. I was making good time until I hit a Fuegan traffic jam.....

Luckily things were straightened out rather quickly and I was back on the road.

I made good time in the ripio; no head wind and fresh tires gave me tons of control and traction and I was hitting 70 on the straightaways. I arrived in Porvenir an hour and a half before the ferry was scheduled to depart; unfortunately, the ferry didn't look like it would accommodate my bike...

But seriously, everything looked fine:

While I was waiting, Dylan showed up with a couple from Quebec on one of the first Gold Wings:

While we were waiting to push off, a huge semi full of wool pulled on. I've never seen a truck load full of wool bales before; it was quite the experience.

On the ferry ride across the Straights of Magellan, dolphins swam up and began following the ferry..

I tried my best to get a picture of them jumping; unfortunately, I'm not that good of a photographer.

We finally arrived in Punta Arenas. As we were getting off of the ferry, I noticed that my fuel tank felt a little loose. A quick check revealed that the little tab that the fuel tank mounts too above the engine had broken. Just when I thought things like this were going to stop happening...

I also realized today that I have the "ever expanding chain" problem again. Looks like in my attempts to keep the chain tight and off of the chain slider that I over tightened it and ruined it. So, now it looks like tomorrow I will be hunting for a new chain, trying to figure out a way to fix the fuel tank mounting issues, and trying to figure out what is making the dragging feeling on my bike. Man, I'm tired of having to deal with bike issues...
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #1278
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Viking Funeral. And you use my klr to reach Torres del Paines .

I know it sucks but you are in a city and not in the middle of Patagonia. Call Alejandro and you will have a brand new XR

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #1279
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Looks like in my attempts to keep the chain tight and off of the chain slider that I over tightened it and ruined it. So, now it looks like tomorrow I will be hunting for a new chain, ... Man, I'm tired of having to deal with bike issues...
A lot of people have been there and done that... and much more! So don't get too frustrated; you'll catch on!

Keep it dirty side down!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #1280
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 231
Thats probably the dragging feeling you're getting. With the chain too tight it will definitely put more drag on the bike when you ride. And it will ruin a chain in no time. Hard to do, but leave it loose. You will acually get better chain wear and also less wear on the guide and slipper.
Keep up the good work and have fun. Try not to stess. It's all good!
Dave
Ride On!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #1281
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,527
A lot of people don't even use the fuel tank mounts under the "wings". As long as the rear mounting bolt is secure and the front is secure on the frame mounts I wouldn't worry about the tank.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #1282
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 1,228
Where are the penguins?!?!?!?
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #1283
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
I've been following this report for a few weeks, but finally got caught up last night. WOW, amazing! Loving the story and the photos.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #1284
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Problemas, Problemas, Problemas

Day 132 (February 25, 2013)
Punta Arenas, Chile
Day's Ride: 0 MIles

Waking up this morning I had three things to take care of: finding a new chain, fixing my fuel tank mounts, and figuring out how to fix my chain slider. I just realized yesterday that my newly reconfigured chain slider was already shot after only about 500 miles. I guess that the crappy chain I bought in Rio Gallegos has payed me back. I headed over to the shop of a mechanic recommended by Manolito. I was amazed to find one of the most modern and well organized shops I've ever seen.

Alejandro Lago is the owner and he has tons of tires and the equipment to balance them, a rarity in most of the places I've been. He's also got an Oregon license plate on his wall; that's a big plus in my book.

I told Alejandro about my problems and he told me that he had a chain that he could sell me and a welder that he could send me too. Unfortunately, he didn't know of anyone with an XR chain slider for sale.

I let him ride my bike and he told me that the dragging sensation that I'm feeling was probably the horrible chain that I had on. He sold me this chain:

He also washed my bike for me and reglued my grips for me.

After leaving Alejandro's I headed over to a muffler shop that he had recommended to me. On the way over I stopped to check my brake disks to see if they might be causing the dragging feeling. They felt warm but not overly hot; I suppose that's not the problem.

I arrived at the muffler shop and started disassembling my bike so that we could fix the fuel tank mount. As soon as I took off the seat, I realized that another part of the fuel tank mounting system was broken.

When it rains, it pours. This explains why my fuel tank was so loose. Luckily, that was a much easier fix than the part on that was attached to the frame.

I disconnected the grounds and used some scrap metal to mask off the oil lines. The mechanic busted out his MIG welder and fixed everything up in about five minutes. I reattached everything, crossed my fingers, and started the bike back up. Everything worked fine.

I spent the rest of the day hitting up every bike shop in town in search of a chain slider. Any chain slider. At this point I'll take anything that I can just modify and slap on the bike. The Honda shop was closed and everyone I talked to said that they would be closed for another couple of weeks as the owner was on vacation. Nice. I love the latin sense of time. I checked at all of the other shops in town as well. Unfortunately, no one had anything. I was able to find one for a CRF-250, but I think it was too narrow to fit.

At the last shop I was looking at some of the bikes when I saw this:

It looks like it's just a piece of Teflon pop riveted onto the swing arm. Genius. The owner told me that he knew where I could buy some. He also told me that he would call someone that he knew that worked at the Honda Shop in the morning and see if he could get into the shop and find something before I started bolting Teflon onto the swing arm.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #1285
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZIK View Post
Bryce, THANX for the great RR. I would read your report into deep dark night (1-2am) and still had to get up at 5am to work sooooooooooooooo lots of yawning and toothpics holding up my eyelids hehe It was worth it though as I really enjoyed it and the pics that would bring back the memories of that distant land jeje. I trekked S.America 2-3 years ago for 8 months. In many places I wished I had a mode of transportation to get to some remote places and just see more a bit better (especially the Salar area where you can climb its volcanos). This past christmas I bought myself 2008 XR650L hehe; same as yours. Now I'm prepping it for adventure. Once it'll be ready it's gonna be a ticking time bomb to drop everything and just point my wheel anywhere and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... I want to go to many places and also go back to SA and revisit some of the roads less traveled.

Well if you would like to do some trekking I might give you some recommenadations as I'm all about the mountains and I've done quite a few in the Andes. Just let me know what were you thinking off (also how long and which route) and I can give you my 2 cents about it. I have a blog at http://dziktravels.blogspot.com and picture links from there. Since it's quite long I can point you to your areas of intrest. I'm sure the pixs will make you want to go hehe. Often I fall back into nostalgia longing for being there...
Cool, thanks man! Have fun building your bike up. I would recomend going with soft luggage. I'm heading to Torres del Paine and Fitz Roy next. Any ideas on a good 2-3 day hike?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #1286
TigerInTheNight
Burning Bright

Oddometer: 35
Duh, the teflon slider you are showing here pried open a memory bank I seldom access. I've done a similar thing with my Tiger. Here is a link to a slider on ebay as an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-NY...-/110420056495

See if you can track down a piece of hard white nylon and fabricate it to the size you need. Counter sink the holes and place the holes between where the links will slide. Works a treat, on the Tiger at least.

Sorry you are having so much mechanical difficulty.

Ride fast and stay safe.
TigerInTheNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #1287
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerInTheNight View Post
See if you can track down a piece of hard white nylon and fabricate it to the size you need. Counter sink the holes and place the holes between where the links will slide. Works a treat, on the Tiger at least.
Look for one of those thick nylon/teflon kitchen cutting boards. Cut it to the size you need and you should be good to go.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #1288
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,114
Dunno if this helps, but I checked and Rocky Mountain ATV in Utah has a new OEM slider in stock for $36.58 plus shipping. They don't ship OEM parts outside the US, but I could have the thing here in two days and then ship it to you down there if you had an address. If you don't find anything else that'll work, this could be an option.

If you need it, the P/N is 52170-MN1-681 and it's item 15 on their fiche.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #1289
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
Way to fix your swing arm chain guide slide thinggy. get some metal plate. Cut it into two square pieces. You use the old part for a temp plate to where to drill your holes. For the bottom where the hard plastic guide is. Just get a cutting board. Cut out a block the came length as the plate. drill some mounting holes into them. You them sandwish the cutting board piece between the two plates to hold it into place. This after market one might show you what I mean. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...de/chain+guide
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #1290
jaredwilson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Bryce,

A few days late, but...Congratulations on making it to Ushuaia! This is an accomplishment you have truly earned. Considering the monumental effort required for such a trip, you’ve pulled off something incredible and you’ve served as inspiration. Well done!

Best of all, the ride isn’t over yet! Now you can relax, take your time and enjoy yourself, but stay safe and keep us all posted on the rest of your ride.

Jared