Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1306
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithee View Post
I use Smugmug. $38/year or thereabouts with unlimited storage and linking.

It's been well worth it.
I'm wishing that I had gone with Smugmug now. But since most of this thread is already on photobucket and I'm too lazy to go back and change all of the link, I think I'm just going to have to stick with it.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #1307
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:

It's been well worth it.
Picasa is free
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #1308
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:

It's been well worth it.
Me to and it supports this website.
MADSTROM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #1309
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADSTROM View Post
Me to and it supports this website.
I might be wrong, but I believe Baldy, the owner of this website, also owns SmugMug.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #1310
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Short Day to Puerto Notales

Day 134 (February 27, 2013)
Punta Arenas, Chile to Puerto Notales, Chile
Day's Ride: 153 Miles

You'll have to forgive me for the lack of pictures today, I forgot to put the memory card in my Japanese camera today and, unbeknownest to me, it was taking blanks during the entire ride.

Dylan and I took our time leaving Punta Arenas this morning as the ride to Puerto Notales wasn't that far. Our two new Quebecois friends Hrvey and Martin came out to say goodbye.

These guys were awesome! They ride an ancient Goldwing that has been spray painted dark green. I nicknamed it the Green Wing and gave them one of the last mustache stickers. They showed us an awesome desert: take a banana, cut it down the middle, insert a few slices of Toblerone, then bake it in the over for a few minutes until the chocolate melts.....amazing!

The ride north out of Punta Arenas was fairly ho-hum. Dylan was in charge of navigation and he managed to ride right past the turn off for the Penguins. I saw the sign, but assumed that he knew where he was going and kept following him. We didn't realize that we had passed it until we were already 20 miles past it and by that time we weren't interested in turning back. Looks like I'll have to wait to see the "Pinguinos" until the drive north to Buenos Aires.

We pulled into Puerto Notales and hit up a hostel called the "Tin House" where Dylan had made reservations for us. Puerto Notales is perched right on the edge of a beautiful harbor.

This close to the southern ice fields of Patagonia there are some amazing views of the glaciated peaks in the distance. Unfortunately, the afternoon sun was blocking most of the good views.

After settling into the hostel, we went to a nearby restaurant and attended a quick informational brief about the nearby national park, Torres del Paine (pronounced "pa-ine-ey"). After sitting through the meeting, I decided that I would try and spend a few days hiking in the park. Tomorrow Dylan and I are going to hunt down supplies and try and rent some backpacks.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1311
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
I'm wishing that I had gone with Smugmug now. But since most of this thread is already on photobucket and I'm too lazy to go back and change all of the link, I think I'm just going to have to stick with it.
It's not necessary for all photos of a thread to be stored at the same site. Each photo could be stored on a different site, the board software doens't care. So you could easily switch to another service at any time during the thread with no need to change anything prior. If you ever have to, or want to, feel free to switch to storing new photos to a new site and keep moving from there. And if you're keeping a facebook album of pictures like a lot of folks do, you can simply link from there and not need another site.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1312
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
It's not necessary for all photos of a thread to be stored at the same site. Each photo could be stored on a different site, the board software doens't care. So you could easily switch to another service at any time during the thread with no need to change anything prior. If you ever have to, or want to, feel free to switch to storing new photos to a new site and keep moving from there. And if you're keeping a facebook album of pictures like a lot of folks do, you can simply link from there and not need another site.
True, but if the photos from photobucket won't show up because I'm using up all of my bandwidth, even if I switch to a new site, the older posts that are using the photobucket pictures won't show. So, since I paid for a little extra wiggle room with photobucket, I'll just keep using them rather than spend even more money on another service.

By the way, what does the bandwidth thing really mean? Is just that a bunch of people are looking at my pictures? Or am I just uploading too many?

This whole thing is kind of funny because it's actually my brother's photobucket account anyways. Congrats allvincullumyork, I just got you 20GB of storage on photobucket!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #1313
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
By the way, what does the bandwidth thing really mean? Is just that a bunch of people are looking at my pictures? Or am I just uploading too many?
No, quantity isn't the issue. Your thread here is getting a ton of views, and those views use up bandwidth. So yeah, lots of people looking at your photos. This is one of the truly Epic ride reports here.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #1314
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 246
Well, guess the penquins are out. Guess I'll have to go to the ZOO!
Dave
Ride on!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #1315
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Well, guess the penquins are out. Guess I'll have to go to the ZOO!
Dave
Ride on!
Here's a photograph of some penquins to hold you over until you either get to the zoo, or Bryce gets to Puerto Tombo.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #1316
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Here's a photograph of some penquins to hold you over until you either get to the zoo, or Bryce gets to Puerto Tombo.

Spud

Where are the penguins????

Enjoying the updates. Nice people all around this here world. I think your smile communicates more for you than any language. Portuguese coming up for you maybe?

tvbh40a screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 06:51 AM
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #1317
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
True, but if the photos from photobucket won't show up because I'm using up all of my bandwidth, even if I switch to a new site, the older posts that are using the photobucket pictures won't show. So, since I paid for a little extra wiggle room with photobucket, I'll just keep using them rather than spend even more money on another service.

This whole thing is kind of funny because it's actually my brother's photobucket account anyways. Congrats allvincullumyork, I just got you 20GB of storage on photobucket!
Your pictures will only temporarily not show up. Once your ride report is over and you quit getting so many views you can let your subscription expire and your pictures will still be available to view (assuming the views die down, which they should at that point).

When I wrote my Newfoundland ride report Photobucket gave me a timeout and I bought the one month subscription and then let it expire. I was so unhappy with Photobucket's slow performance and clunky interface that I wasn't willing to keep handing them my money. I've since switched to SmugMug and have been WAY happier. The yearly fee is well worth the upgrade from Photobucket.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #1318
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,537
Quote:
...By the way, what does the bandwidth thing really mean? Is just that a bunch of people are looking at my pictures? Or am I just uploading too many? ...
Each organization should define what they mean in their TOS. But in general, bandwidth refers to data transfer rate, not storage. It's an adapted term that goes back to radio, where the width of the band determines the highest modulated frequency that can be transmitted. In digital communications, greater bandwidth means quicker data transfer. For example, digital TV requires much more data per time than a cell phone call, so the bandwidth of a digital TV channel is greater than the bandwidth of a cellphone voice channel. Hope that helps for general understanding.... Those messages are probably a result of so many people bringing up your thread in rapid succession. How's it feel to be so popular?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #1319
TheLorax
Comitted Lurker

Oddometer: 30
speaking of bandwidth

That Penguin shot is probably gonna suck up a substantial portion.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #1320
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud
Given that our hero is soon to be off-grid for a while, trekking through Pa-i-ne N.P., perhaps Spud could add to Penguin Maiden with a brace of Tire Change Girls. This would surely make Ulyses feel better during his trek.

I like the "Ulyses Slider" concept. I wonder if the friction from the plastic will grind down the chain, any more than rubber would. Please report on this sometime.