Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #1336
condor 2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
equipment

Bryce.
What kind of tent are you using,seem to be perfect for you. Thank you. RO-MAN.
condor 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #1337
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneBoy View Post
Dwight did a fantastic report
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Bryce is in it quite a bit, very cool to see the reports all enter twine
Very jealous!
Its awesome to see the same areas thru different eyes, different bikes, and full scale of emotions.
Right on! Thanks for the link. Subscribed now but will have to delay reading for a bit. This and JDowns' is about all I can handle for now - working both from both ends. Then I'll hit kedji's and rtwpaul's. :-)

And if I read enough food reports I won't have to go... It'll be like already having done it.

Sure....

A 50 mile hike That's impressive!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 09:43 PM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #1338
PostIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Great read! Thank you for sharing your ride report with me! It was a great read! Congratulations on your success! All the best!
PostIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #1339
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
If things keep going like they are, my swing arm is going to look like swiss cheese.
glad you caught the swingarm problem in time...my chain loosened and ate my swingarm, like NOW and my only fix was a new swingarm cutting board is a way cheaper and easier option

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #1340
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
glad you caught the swingarm problem in time...my chain loosened and ate my swingarm, like NOW and my only fix was a new swingarm cutting board is a way cheaper and easier option
Yikes what happened to yours. But as you know, any option is only as good as it lasts. So let's pray it holds for Bryce and that can be one less thing he'll have to divert his attention to. It pays to give full attention to the condition of the bike at all times. Because if so, a problem like yours could not occur.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #1341
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
There are absolutely droves of people here. Not quite the solitude that I was hoping for. Still, the views are incredible.
Yeah, it took me a while to get over that. I wasn't too keen on all the people and almost turned around after the second day. Once I got over the fact that I would be hiking with hundreds of my friends every day, I was able to enjoy it. Spectacular place. Looking forward to your photos.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #1342
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Yikes what happened to yours. But as you know, any option is only as good as it lasts. So let's pray it holds for Bryce and that can be one less thing he'll have to divert his attention to. It pays to give full attention to the condition of the bike at all times. Because if so, a problem like yours could not occur.
couldn't find an Oring chain, this is how destructive a standard 520 chain can be after about 500 miles!!!! now i carry a spare if i find one and know i need a change coming up soon in a remote location
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #1343
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

It's all about living and learning. May we continue to do both for a while!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 PM   #1344
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
I checked the weather down there. High of 9C, low of 2C. Brrrrrr. Enjoy reading your reports. Keep up the good work.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #1345
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Still Alive!

Just made it out of the park! Decided to stay an extra day and do some more hiking; I've got some good pictures and some good stories. I'm pretty bushed; I'm going to drink a lot of beer and get some sleep. I'll post tomorrow!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #1346
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #1347
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Torres del Paine Overview

Cleanwatt (Dylan) and I decided to hike a classic route in Torres del Paine known as the "W". It's called the "W" for the simple reason that, when viewed on a map, the route forms a sort of "W" shape. The trek typically takes 4-5 days. There is another classic hike in the park known as the "Circuit" which combines the "W" with a giant circumnavigation of the Paine massif but also adds another couple of days. Originally I had been considering just hiking the "W" route and then heading back to Puerto Notales () while Dylan carried on and hiked the rest of the Circuit route. However, by Day 5, our roles were reversed and I decided to stay in the park for an extra day to do a slightly longer hike while Dylan decided to leave in order to recuperate from a knee injury that he had sustained on the third day. Below is a day by day schedule of where we went and a rough map of the route that I took.

Day 1: Paine Grande to Refugio Grey and Mirador
Day 2: Refugio Grey to Campamento Italiano
Day 3: Campamento Italiano to Mirador to Refugio Los Cuernos
Day 4: Refugiou Los Cuernos to Campamento Torres
Day 5: Campamento Torres to Mirador de Torres to Valle de Silencio to Campamento Torres
Day 6: Campamento Torres to Hotel Las Torres

And now on to the rest of the story....
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1348
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Wicked

This is going to be good...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #1349
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,004
Type faster.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #1350
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Torres del Paine: Day 1

Day 136 (March1, 2013)
Paine Grande to Refugio Grey
Day's Hike: 12 Miles

With our bikes stashed at Hostels in Puerto Notales, Dylan and I hopped on a two hour bus that would take us to the entrance to the park. It was a refreshing change to finally sit in a chair and take a nap while traveling down the road. I've been riding for so long that it's easy to forget what it's like traveling in a normal vehicle. We made a brief bathroom stop about an hour in and I was able to watch some Chilean Cowboys in action while we waited for the rest of the passengers to finish.

It seems that they favor the beret instead of the stetson down here. After another hour of travel, the bus dropped us off at a dock near a water fall called "Salto Grande" where we boarded a catamaran that would take us across a glacial lake and deposit us at a Campground/Hotel called Paine Grande where we would begin our hike.

The ferry was a bit pricey (approx $20), but it would allow us to start off our hike around 11:00 AM and still have enough time to make it to Glacier Grey before dark. Even though we had already seen some amazing views of the park on the bus ride in, the views from the catamaran were incredible.

We soon reached the opposite shore and disembarked at Refugiuo Paine Grande.

A small aside: "Refugios" are essentially little ski lodge type structures with a hotel, a restaurant, a store, a camping area, and a cooking area. If you really wanted to, you could spend the entire time in Torres del Paine sleeping in beds and eating restaurant meals and walking between refugios without a thing on your back. At first it irritated me a little that the Chileans would build these things inside their national park; however, I then considered the lodges at places like Yellowstone and decided that these weren't any worse. Still, the Refugios allow people who either can't or don't want to carry all of their own gear and sleep in a tent to enter the park and see the sights. This creates a bit of a crowding issue. If you are looking for wilderness solitude, going to Torres del Paine during the Patagonian summer is not a good way to find it. I'm of the mindset that if you want to enjoy the park that you should have to work for it; however, I suppose that everyone has a right to see these things, regardless of ability.

In any event, we hit the ground running (or at least walking very fast) at Paine Grande and started heading north towards Glacier Grey. The trail passed through some burnt out areas that had been destroyed by a careless backpacker using his stove in an unauthorized area.

I had been a little nervous about stepping into a hike like this after having done almost zero physical activity for the last four months other than riding a motorcycle. Fortunately, I felt pretty fresh and was able to hike fairly fast despite a relatively heavy pack and other than optimal gear. Unfortunately, I hadn't done much hiking in my combat boots recently, and the "blistering pace" that we were setting soon lead to some issues. I'm sure Brown Falcon will recognize this little scene:

Luckily I caught the blisters before they had progressed beyond hotspots. There isn't too much that you can't fix with a little bit of ducktape and some baby powder, feet included.

After a couple of miles of hiking, we soon topped out on a ridge and got our first views of Glacier Grey:

We hiked a few more miles of beautiful trail and crossed a bridge that looked a little worse for the wear. Being the gracious person that I am, I decided to let Dylan cross first.

I'm still not quite sure what was holding that thing up in the middle. We quickly reached Refugio Grey where we set up our tents and stashed our packs before hiking down the trail a Mirador (overlook) for Glacier Grey.

Not quite satisfied with the frontal view and wanting to get a little bit closer, we jumped back on the trail and hiked another four kilometers up to a second Mirador. Along the way we got to cross a pretty nifty rope bridge.

We reached the second Mirador as the sun was starting to go down and the light made it a little hard to see; still, it was extremely impressive. Glacier Grey is actually a part of the vast Southern Ice Field that covers large portions of Southern Chile and Argentina. Glacier Grey and many other glaciers in the area stretch like fingers out from the main ice field and down into sections of both countries.

After sitting and watching the glacier for a while, Dylan and I returned to the Refugio and crashed. A 12 mile hike used to be nothing to me; however, after not exercising for the past few months, I was pretty bushed. And despite my griping about the Refugio system, I was quite pleased to find that they sold Chilean wine in liter boxes.

Ulyses screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 07:06 PM