Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #1426
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Happy Birthday! (a bit late) Don't hurry to jump into 'real' life.
Thanks! I'll try not to hurry, but I'm getting a little antsy...
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #1427
jaredwilson
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Best photos so far, Bryce. Keep em coming!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #1428
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Ruta 40 is Dying...

Day 149 (March 14, 2013)
Gobenador Gregores, Argentina to Chile Chico, Chile
Day's Ride: 265 Miles

Leaving "GG" (aka Gobenador Gregores) at around noon, Dylan and I sped north, hoping to make it to Chile Chico that evening and be poised to begin the Careterra Austral in the following days.

From what Dylan and others had told me, the remaining majority of Ruta 40 was paved. There were only a few short sections left that were still blessed with loose covering of ripio.

In reality, it wasn't long before we found them.

Just to give you an idea of what ripio roads can be like, take a look at the size of these rocks:

If you can't tell from the picture, a lot of these things are about the size of a baseball. It's really fun to hit a patch of this stuff at 60 MPH and have your front end bouncing around like a pogo stick while you clutch desperately to the handlebars and hope that you don't take a digger. Combine that with some really bad wasboards and gale force cross winds and you have for a really interesting ride. Hearing stories about what it was like a few years ago before they started paving it all makes me wonder just how many times my luggage rack would have broken while trying to ride this road. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't broken again already.

The road alternated between long stretches of pavement and short stretches of ripio all day.

We passed multiple road crews operating graders and tractors and paving equipment. It's kind of sad really. Ruta 40 seems like it has been this iconic right of passage for Trans America trips. With all of it getting paved, where are we going to get stories of people being blown into patches of ripio by the winds and being ripped off their bikes? On second thought, maybe it is a good thing that it's being paved.

While stopping for lunch we met some Argentinians on Honda 250's that were doing the entire stretch of Ruta 40 from South to North. They called their bikes "pizza bikes" as they were the same model that pizza shops in big cities use to deliver pizza on. They had a good 20 minute lead on us when we left, but we caught them up in no time. I got way out in front of them and pulled over to take a picture; Dylan decided that this would be a good time to thread the needle at 60 MPH and nearly clipped my elbow.

Eventually we reached the end of the ripio and cruised into the town of Perrito Moreno. After a brief stop to fill up on cheap Argentinian gas, we crossed the border into Chile Chico and found an awesome campground with wifi for 3,000 Pesos ($6).

I love Chile. Everything just seems so much easier here. We made a quick dash up to the nearest mercado and I bought a ton of food and cooked up a big pot of Carbonara. This trip is turning me into a total foodie. I look forward to dinner every day with an undisguised relish. I think Dylan is getting tired of hearing me talk about food.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #1429
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Ruta 40 Video

Dylan just made a little video from his GoPro footage covering the last little stretch of Ripio into Gobenador Gregores. I just edited it into the post from that day but thought I would post it here as well in case folks wanted to see. Dylan claims we were doing about 70 and I think he's right because my bike wouldn't go much faster

Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #1430
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
.... This trip is turning me into a total foodie. I look forward to dinner every day with an undisguised relish. ...
Right on. It's great to pick up healthy eating habits and then keep them when getting back home.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #1431
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Right on. It's great to pick up healthy eating habits and then keep them when getting back home.
Ohh, there's nothing healthy about it. I just ground up a can of tuna into an entire block of cream cheese. That's lunch for tomorrow! And all of the cheap wine isn't helping either...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #1432
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Ohh, there's nothing healthy about it. I just ground up a can of tuna into an entire block of cream cheese. That's lunch for tomorrow! And all of the cheap wine isn't helping either...
But it sure tastes good going down! Bachelor food!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1433
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Bro, you need the calories, you're a growing boy and traveling is exhausting.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #1434
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Chile Chico

Day 150 (March 15, 2013)
Chile Chico, Chile
Day's Ride: 0 Miles

Happy Ides of March to everyone!

Spent the day chilling in Chile Chico. The climate here is amazing; this is the first day that I've spent in shorts and a t-shirt in a while and it was a welcome change. I've heard that the Carreterra Austral can be a little wet, so it was nice to soak up the sun while I could.

I took the opportunity today to check my valves, clean my air filter, and give the bike a thorough once over to make sure nothing was breaking. My improvised chain slider seems to be holding up okay. The chain has worn through about 1/3 of the thickness of the nylon, but it seems to be holding steady there.

The valve check was going pretty well at first; everything seemed a bit loose, so I started tightening everything up. I finished, then went back to double check all of the adjustments and found that I couldn't get the feeler gage in the right exhaust valve any longer. I loosened it up almost to the limit and still could barely fit the correct gage in! I had a minor heart attack, then realized that I had been wiggling the crankshaft a little after I had finished the initial adjustments. I went back, rotated the crank shaft a few times, put it back at TDC, and was able to adjust the valve properly again. Phew!

I do have one question though for all of the XRL riders though: the manual says to tighten the valve until there is "slight drag" on the feeler gage. I've been tightening the valve down all the way until the feeler gage is stuck, then gradually back off until it slides back and forth with a little bit of catch to it. Is that what I should be looking for or do I have it too tight? It seems like it's a hard thing to measure as there is always a "slight drag" on the feeler gage when you insert it unless the valve is extremely loose.

Spent the rest of the day sending emails, trying to coordinate shipping for my bike, and walking around Chile Chico. Dylan tells me that we are right next to the second largest lake in South America, right behind Lago Titicaca.

This evening a stray dog ripped a hole in Dylan's tent and ate some of his food. A few minutes later a few cats jumped up on the picnic table where we've been cooking and knocked over some of our pots and stole some hotdogs. Dylan got pissed and started chasing the cats around trying to stomp them into the ground. I just watched and laughed and wondered why girls always get angry at me for being mean to animals. They should really be angry with Dylan. Tomorrow we begin the Carretera Austral. Things are starting to draw to a close for me. I figure I still have a few weeks left but all of this talk about shipping has me feeling like I'm getting ready to head back tomorrow!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #1435
Ulyses OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
But it sure tastes good going down! Bachelor food!
Exactly! I prefer the "eat whatever you want and work out really hard" diet. I just need to start the "work out really hard" part again....
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #1436
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... I finished, then went back to double check all of the adjustments and found that I couldn't get the feeler gage in the right exhaust valve any longer. I loosened it up almost to the limit and still could barely fit the correct gage in! I had a minor heart attack, then realized that I had been wiggling the crankshaft a little after I had finished the initial adjustments. I went back, rotated the crank shaft a few times, put it back at TDC, and was able to adjust the valve properly again. ... I do have one question though for all of the XRL riders though: the manual says to tighten the valve until there is "slight drag" on the feeler gage. I've been tightening the valve down all the way until the feeler gage is stuck, then gradually back off until it slides back and forth with a little bit of catch to it. Is that what I should be looking for or do I have it too tight? ...
The compression release mechanism engaged - it cracks the valve open during compression so it's easier to turn over.

You're doing it right. You can feel when it adds the drag of filling the gap by tightening and loosening the screw a tad each way right around the grab point. A little more, and you can feel the additional grab of being on the spring, which you don't want. You just want to fill the gap with the gage.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #1437
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Exactly! I prefer the "eat whatever you want and work out really hard" diet. I just need to start the "work out really hard" part again....
Sounds good on the surface but that consideration alone doesn't ensure proper nutrition, fiber, plant/animal balance, propensity to build up plaque in the arteries, to contract diabetes, cancer, etc., etc. There are a lot of factors worth researching which can aid in future quality of life. One good rule for starters is to get 80% of your caloric requirements from plant sources. That seems to me to be a lot easier in South America than here as they tend to have more healthy food commonly available. I guess since we always ate with people who lived there, we got the native diet, not what we might choose if we were buying our own food at the markets. We brought some of their eating habits back with us.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #1438
Yuraco
Ciudadano de Sudamerica

Oddometer: 22
Marmel Chappel , don't forget to visit!!!

Dear Bryce: I readed your thread and I hope everything is ok

welcome to carretera austral , don't forget to visit the marble chappel on lake general carrera
look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlPD0I1DlQ

link:

https://www.google.cl/search?q=marme...w=1031&bih=564
'07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'06 Sym GTS 250

Yuraco screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 04:46 AM
Yuraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #1439
Yuraco
Ciudadano de Sudamerica

another link about Marble chappel

http://www.wondermondo.com/Countries...aDelMarmol.htm
'07 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
'06 Sym GTS 250
Yuraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #1440
LUVMYDR
Adventurer

Right on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I understand you, Bryce. I was there once. And I have a son turning 29 in a couple of weeks. I know how confusing and apprehensive these thoughts can be. Please allow me to give back a little for sharing your experiences here. I hope this analogy helps you gather your thoughts over time.
People think it's formidibly difficult to embark upon and persevere through a journey such as yours herewithin documented. While it certainly has it's challenges, it's still miniscule compared to the rest of your life. Finding that turnoff, the right place to spend the night, and how to get your machine sorted can present quite a task at the moment, but hard to compare to finding a lifelong companion who will correctly mother your children, deciding where you're going to live, and how to support your family. But much like your journey, you plan ahead the best you can, you keep your eyes on where you're going while peeking back occasionally, work your way through through the terrain avoiding the obstacles you see and dealing with those you didn't, perform adequate maintenance, ride the good times with ecstacy and think of more ahead while down for maintenace. We do the best we can, but God has a master plan in which we play a role, so we look to Him for guidance. The road in front of us is all we can see, and our best attempts to navigate it skillfully aren't always as successful as we'd hoped. And while we can see and judge the trail in front of us, and can pick a path through the obstacles in sight, there's no telling what's around that corner or past that rise up ahead. We can only deal with the beyond after approaching with caution. We learn to make no assumptions, and to not take personally what we encounter. We learn from our experiences but harbor no regrets. We strive to always do our best and to say what we mean. Mostly we zip through with glee. However, some hills will be very steep and some water crossings very deep; we get stuck, crash, break things, and get hurt along the way. It's the grace with which we pick ourselves up and move on that shapes our character the most. As for choice of schooling/career, many factors play a role in this decision, some beyond our control, but ideally we look for something we're good at, enjoy doing, and can make an adequate living doing. At 29 or so, we're quite physically able and have some experiences behind us, from which we've learned, the lessons of which can used to orient ourselves in the direction of what we believe will be the happiest for us. So, in much the way you've approached this trip, so may you approach your procreative, livelihood, and recreational journey ahead. You have been bestowed the talents, and you will do just fine by God and be able to look back with no regrets if you stick to what you know is right. May you encounter excitement, happiness, contentment, and inner peace as you travel through life!
I couldnt have said it bettter.
LUVMYDR is offline   Reply With Quote