User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Airhead on the Move

Several things came together for a rapid trip from The-Middle-of-Nowhere, Kansas down to the Bryan/College Station area of Texas. The weather is predicted to be perfect for the next 5 days. The bike is running like a charm. And, I found out my brother's pancreatic cancer has spread to his liver. It was time to go for a visit.

It was 1 PM by the time I'd taken care of lining things up, getting all packed, and out the drive. Tonight, I'm sitting in Bristow, OK, 200 miles from home. The bike is running like a champ. I managed to get the last room in the last motel before hitting the empty spaces of OK-48 South.

Riding the 2-lanes is always an experience. There are only fast food joints here, but back home, its a 60 mile round trip for fast food. Its kind of a treat. They sell real beer in the liquor stores, but only warm. Thankfully, the room has a fridge!

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I was riding hard. Hell, I didn't even stop for a smoke! But, the countryside was really pretty. Sure, the roads are pretty much straight, but the views can be pretty nice in a wide-open-spaces kind of way. Perfect for cruising along at 70-75mph while glancing about. I'll try to do better as I proceed.

I've made this trip before. My favorite route is 48 across OK and 34 around Dallas.

I'll be riding this:

And I look like this:

Wave, or say hi, if we cross paths.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,001
With all the hospitality you've shown us over the years, I hope some of us can reciprocate. Good travels to you.

(I still think a western airhead gathering at your place in early summer is a good idea.)
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,435
If you come through OKC, I'm in Moore and you can stay here for free. I'm not very entertaining and I don't have a tv, but I've got some guitars and some vodka.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,790
Beauty and the beast, guess which one you are.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,916
Safe journey and godspeed.

--Bill
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,333
I'm Sorry to hear about your brother. But I think it's pretty dang cool to get a visit on an old motorcycle! I haven't checked your home building thread in a while...going to do that now. Safe and happy travels!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
97oilhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Safe trip, hope things work out for your brother.

I can see why you are GS'ing your R. I checked the map, you must be on the edge of the Flint Hills, beautiful area.
'95 R100R Classic
97oilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the kind words.

Things started well today, but now, I have a problem. About 35 miles from my destination, I decided to pull over for a break. The bike was running fine, but my butt was tired. When I got back on and hit the start button, everything died! I'm hoping it is the battery just quit. The easy connections are good and tight. After a few minutes, when I turn on the key, I get all the warning lights and the headlight, but when I hit the start button it all goes away. Sounds like a failed battery, right?

I'll know more after I do a little troubleshooting in the morning. I hope its just a battery.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you followed the "Dead in Texas" thread, you know it was the battery. What a relief that was!

After putting in the new battery, I headed for my brother's. Its about 6 miles to the pavement from my BIL's house over crushed rock roads with a little sand thrown in here and there. It reminded me of home.

When I reached the paved road, this sign awaited me.

I was told there have been several more since the sign went up. I'm not sure why, though. The road was not that curvy, but there was one curve that rolled into negative camber. Also, there is a big Harley bar up the road that is packed on weekends. Alcohol may have been involved.

It was a good visit, but I needed some helmet solitude. I left for home this morning. There was patchy fog when I left, and instead of burning off, it became worse. I had to stop for about 30 minutes. I also decided to abandoned my planned 2-lane route for a quick trip North up I-45. I rode up the ramp just as a new Honda Goldwing passed. I could see he had a radar detector; so I fell into formation about 50 yards behind him. We cooked off a quick 100 miles after the fog lifted. The bike was purring at a constant 85-90 mph. It was fun, and it got me back on "schedule".

A wreck in downtown Greenville, Tx sent me off on another slight deviation. I missed a turn, but since the road continued heading North and was a nice ride, I kept going. The zig back onto course turned out to be a fine motorcycle road; curvy, smooth, and empty. To top it off, I had a nice conversation with some locals when I stopped for a bite to eat. Unfortunately, they were out of business, but I did get a good referral. However, I couldn't bring myself to stop. I needed to make enough time to reach a motel (before it got dark) once I'd gotten onto OK-48. There are way too many deer and other critters in this area for me to ride after dark. I'm just not that adventurous! I did finally stop for a milk shake at Dave's Cafe in Allen, OK. Its also where I stopped for breakfast on the way down. Excellent place! Anyway, I sucked it down and hit the road.

Did I mention what a nice riding day it was? Temp about 86* with wind out of the Southwest around 15mph. I was so glad, too, 'cause all I did was ride. But, I made it to the motel in Bristow around 5pm, and I had a great day behind me. After unloading a few things to make room, it was a quick trip to the beer store and to grab something to eat before calling it quits.

Its been a fun trip, but I'm ready to be home.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

SIX KILLED IN MOTORCYCLE RELATED CRASHES. Boy, that'll put a damper on the party.

Good trip. I maintain (or try to) good situational awareness, but one thing that I find myself lapsing into on long trips is that I'll let the awareness dull into a "point and drive" mode. That can be dangerous because you need to be alert every second and every foot. I find that stopping every so often, even if I'm not tired, and doing a leg stretch or walkaround helps fight the buzz of boredom.

Although I ride pretty much daily, it's been years since I've made long trips and we all need to work to stay in travelling trim.

--Bill
Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bill, one way I stay alert is to constantly be doing threat assessments and positioning myself in my lane. For instance, if there is no oncoming traffic, I ride close to the centerline which puts me furthest from danger from the sides. When an oncoming vehicle appears, I move over to the right track just in case until it passes. This game keeps me from getting too comfortable and complacent.

I'm seriously leaning towards having the seat redone. The pocket isn't quite where I want it. Rick Meyer did a seat for my '03 K12RS that was a dream to sit on for hours. I'd really like to have that comfort on this bike. Aside from the seat, the bike is great.

Speaking of the bike, that motor must be really clean. I've run hard for over 1000 miles, and the oil is still almost clear. Other than the battery failure, she has performed flawlessly.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

I play the same mind-sharpening exercise while riding. "This game keeps me from getting too comfortable and complacent" sums it up nicely. And the advantage of staying active in your lane is that the bike doesn't blend into the scenery and become un-visible to oncoming or following traffic-- sort of active SMIDSY maneuvering.

A couple of years ago I got a Bill Mayer seat rebuild. That made a tremendous amount of difference in the comfort level. And a carpal tunnel fix on both hands helps.

--Bill
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Martian OP
Beastly Adventurer

I made it home about noon after running hard for 4 hours. I came close to getting a ticket a couple of times when I was really close. One was when I was taking a county road shortcut that never has any traffic much less any patrol cars. It is posted 55 but I was running 85, since its straight and wide open country, when I came up behind a pickup. As I got closer, I noticed "Sheriff's Patrol" stenciled across the tailgate. Thankfully, he turned off without pulling me over, then about 5 miles from home, I rounded a gentle curve to find another patrol car sitting over to the side. The second one was occupied by a deputy I know; so he just waved.

Today's ride was a lot cooler than yesterday's! It was 86 yesterday; today it was 46 when I came through town. With the heated gear, I was toasty though.

I like taking long rides, but its great to be home. The end!
'93 R100GSPD(sold)