Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
justacommuternow OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Puke Most scared you've ever been while riding?

Sitting here in California, watching Hurricane Sandy hitting New York and New Jersey tonight, is reminding me of the absolute most fear I've ever felt while riding. And that was commuting home from work on my 1150GS, eastbound across the Oakland Bay Bridge, leaving San Francisco at night, in a fiercely gusting Pacific storm, heavy rain whipping horizontally across my handlebars, not able to hold the lane, briefly looking over the edge into the darkness and thinking holy fucking cow is this bridge ever going to end??? And trying to draft a bus who's driver was completely clueless that I desperately needed help and the only help I did get was because of a basically abandoned bridge because the weather was so bad, which meant I could uncontrollably swerve into the next lane with relative safety. Found myself in that situation three times. Man, I was scared on each of those three rides and every time, ever so thankful to see the Oakland side. No more of that for me.
"The first day or so we all pointed to our countries. The third or fourth day we were pointing to our continents. By the fifth day we were aware of only one Earth." ...aboard the 18th flight of Space Shuttle Discovery, June 1985.

justacommuternow screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 11:21 PM
justacommuternow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
PSYCHO II
Crusty Demon

Oddometer: 532
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid. Well you did ask. Come on can nobody tell me they haven't been scared of this hot brown liquid expression all over their riding gear and concerned that someone might notice when they stop.

This is the most scared .... didn't say I have experienced this ... only that it is my vision of the most SCARY!!!
PSYCHO II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Most scared you've ever been while riding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid. Well you did ask. Come on can nobody tell me they haven't been scared of this hot brown liquid expression all over their riding gear and concerned that someone might notice when they stop.

This is the most scared .... didn't say I have experienced this ... only that it is my vision of the most SCARY!!!

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,572
Quote:
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid.

BTDT...made for a very unpleasant half hour ride home.

Probably when I saw, in my mirrors, a beat up, primer grey 80s town car violently swerve and pass the car behind me by using the shoulder/bike lane of a fairly quiet semi-residential street and then floor it headed straight for me. I was on the lil' 250 and at that point, I absolutely knew he would ram me if I didn't get out of the way. I had only been riding for a year or two at the time. I simply went WOT (on the lil bike that isn't saying much ) to try and put some distance between us and then at the last minute, slowed rapidly and made a HARD right turn onto another street right as this nutjob went barreling past. No idea what his problem was, but I was fairly certain he wasn't gonna stop for anything. Sometimes you just know -- move or die. That was the hardest I had braked and turned up to the point in my riding career and I had to stop and take a break to let the adrenaline ebb.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Eek

17 years old. 1979 Suzuki gs850 just broke in, decided to see how fast it would go. 218 km/hr indicated, wrong side of the road for the curve I was coming into. Almost hit the ditch on the outside of the curve and when I got straight and let off the throttle I went into a speed wobble. Luckily when i pulled the clutch in it straightened out and I lived to ride another day.
All stupid, zero skill, too much bike and just enough luck.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 323
It's probably a tie for me, both on the same trip. The first was getting caught with two friends in a white-out snowstorm in a Bighorn mountain pass en route from Ten Sleep to Buffalo, WY. We slid our way into one of the turnoffs right before the sign with the truck on a decline, and weighed our options. One of us wanted to continue on (in three inches of snow). I wanted to hitch a ride down and wait it out. The compromise was tucking in behind a plow / sand truck and following it the ten or so miles down into town. Of course this truck came while I was taking an emergency whizz! We made it to town in one piece, though one of us did fall, got separated, but somehow managed to pick his bike up and continue on.

The second was heading up what started as a lazy Jeep trail and gradually got gnarlier to the point where we could not turn around - huge dropoff on one side, and speed would have been uncontrollable. We managed to walk each bike up to where the ground leveled out as a rainstorm rolled in. Went about half a mile through scrubland. It was really pretty; I had an entire herd of antelope run past. Unfortunately though, the trail led to a slope that might have been workable on a side-by-side, but showed the depression of a rolled jeep, and with snow would definitely have been a '♦♦'. We did some recon around the area, but it really was the only option as we'd already gone down some declines which, while mild, would have been impossible to go back up. So we each crossed the literal point of no return. I and another picked up too much speed and ate it. The terrain actually got more difficult, but our techniques improved. The third of us was actually on the heaviest bike (a '79 GS750) and made it down without incident.

But yeah, the most scared was probably going over that edge, not knowing how bad the crash would be.

antonac screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:17 AM
antonac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,811
I was on a DS ride with a group of friends. We were riding some great twisty mountain black top. I was about 50 feet behind a friend of mine and traveling about 60mph as we were approaching the top of a blind hill. He went over the top and just as he disappeared , a red Chevy S10 that was coming the other way made a left turn between my friend and I. I swerved left and shot for the shoulder of the oncoming lane all the while praying that there wasn't another vehicle approaching. There wasn't and I lucked out. About 1/4 mile down the road, still shaking from what had just happened , I entered a decreasing radius left at about 40mph. I was leaning over more and more for the aggressive portion of the corner. I was about 2/3 of the way into the turn (a turn with a view obstructed by a cliff side protrusion) when I see a tow truck half way into my lane. As my face approached the shining grill of this speeding behemoth I stood the bike up, went off the road and into a ditch, slid the bike sideways and came to a stop with the right side of my body firmly compressing two strips of barbed wire fence. I took a twenty minute "poo my pants" break while ranting like a blathering idiot about almost dieing.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:

Confucius say; "don't eat strange Chinese food before long road trip!"
Butt I hear ya, the most scared I getz is when them red & blue lights of the extortion monster are lit up behind me.

*EDIT*
Oh wait, I just remembered a time I wuz scared while ride'in; dun had me a '05 BMW R1200ST with them lame ass whizzy brakes, 'n whilst chase'in a friend (somewhere north of 70 mph ) 'n brake'in hard fer a right hander, the rear wheel lifted, then locked, which shut the brakes off totally, (I've since read about this "black ice effect.") send'in me freewheeling into the oncoming lane.
Luckily there wuz no cars come'in, otherwise I wouldn't be peck'in out this here drivel now! (Great design BMW!)

BanjoBoy screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:45 AM
BanjoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
I can't come up with anything besides the usual come around a turn dirt riding and finding a big hole or something, on a crappy bike with poor suspension. You only have time to think 'this is going to hurt'.

35 years on the street and I never had a pucker moment.
I did once ride a big Harley 200 miles on the PA turnpike in a deluge with a flat front tire, but I was so drunk I did not care, and did not go down. Another club member put a knife in the tire, better that then putting it in me.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
That would get my attention!
You guys were really pushing it, no?
The more guys in the group, the lower the IQ sinks to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I was on a DS ride with a group of friends. We were riding some great twisty mountain black top. I was about 50 feet behind a friend of mine and traveling about 60mph as we were approaching the top of a blind hill. He went over the top and just as he disappeared , a red Chevy S10 that was coming the other way made a left turn between my friend and I. I swerved left and shot for the shoulder of the oncoming lane all the while praying that there wasn't another vehicle approaching. There wasn't and I lucked out. About 1/4 mile down the road, still shaking from what had just happened , I entered a decreasing radius left at about 40mph. I was leaning over more and more for the aggressive portion of the corner. I was about 2/3 of the way into the turn (a turn with a view obstructed by a cliff side protrusion) when I see a tow truck half way into my lane. As my face approached the shining grill of this speeding behemoth I stood the bike up, went off the road and into a ditch, slid the bike sideways and came to a stop with the right side of my body firmly compressing two strips of barbed wire fence. I took a twenty minute "poo my pants" break while ranting like a blathering idiot about almost dieing.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Most scared you've ever been while riding?

Many years ago, after a nice 300 mile Sunday ride in the mountains of NC & VA, I was on my way home and thinking about what a nice day it had been. Then, as I turned onto the street where I live, I spotted the car belonging to my mother-in-law parked in the driveway.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
I took a twenty minute "poo my pants" break while ranting like a blathering idiot about almost dieing.
[Klay] **dying** [Klay]

Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
[Klay] **dying** [Klay]

Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #14
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
[Klay] **dying** [Klay]

My spell check hates me.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
I had two and both were similar to the OP's experience.

1: 2006 during the last stage of the Alcan5000. Cold, cold and incredible wind. There is a causeway coming into Anchorage and the crosswinds were like I'd never experienced. Not only that but my 2004 KTM 950 began carb icing. . I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the finish.
2: I think it was 2010. Huge storm was dumping on Nashville. I rode out of town as the place was flooding. Massive headwinds too. All the way to El Paso! Such a grinding ride, but I got pretty good at handling the bike in wild wind gusts. Wasn't bad at 50mph. Terrifying at 65mph.
2.5: Leaving the 2008 Indy MotoGP in the tail end of a hurricane. No power, meant no refuleing. Bumped into a little station on a side road that had fuel and power.

These were all pucker rides, but I've had a few more rides full of angst on long distance dual sport rides through the wilderness. Usually my angst is about washouts and fuel range when solo.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote