Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
going accross the golden gate on a sunday morning. it was foggy as usual and windy. i was hit with a gust of wind as my back tire was on one of the metal expansion joints ant it moved the rear about a foot.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,212
Not a pucker moment, but I remember coming back from Florida one time, on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at 3 am, in fog so thick you could not see 2 feet in front of you.
Miles and hours of riding seeing only the center line out to 2 feet max, not a single car or bike.
Like riding in a void, very odd.

Once out West someplace, I rode right past a small tornado/whatever the small ones are called.
1/4 mile away and I got sand blasted big time.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I was going 65 or so through 520 between Seattle and Redmond to meet my girlfriend for lunch. After you get over the bridge there is a lot of construction going on where they are expanding the road, so I was on the lookout for stuff on the highway. Right in the middle of my lane I spotted a pretty large rock/chunk of roadway, it seemed like it was pretty big to me. It really seemed big after I managed to target fixate and hit it. Launched the entire bike in the air (it felt like; the front definitely was up there) I kept on the gas and kept on moving. When I got to her work I checked out the tire and rim, there was a big mark up the side of the tire where the chunk squirted out the side and both sides of the rim were bent outward.

I wasn't to terribly scared when it happened, but afterward I got to her work I was a little shaken up (so was the guy in the car behind me, I think. Before I hit the rock he was a regular distance back, afterward he was about 1/2 mile. Must have looked interesting from behind.)
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid. Well you did ask. Come on can nobody tell me they haven't been scared of this hot brown liquid expression all over their riding gear and concerned that someone might notice when they stop.

This is the most scared .... didn't say I have experienced this ... only that it is my vision of the most SCARY!!!
Remember- waterproof rainsuits work both directions.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
12 years old riding alone up in what is now the Rattlesnake Wilderness area North of Missoula, MT to pick huckleberries... On a Honda 90... About 11 miles in I come around a corner to see a Grizzly Bear. About shat myself as all I had with me was a little .22.

No Berries were picked that day... I "high tailed it outa there"
Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
I used my stupid quota up in one ride. Left work on my XR600 with severe storms all around us for my 12 mile commute. Halfway home, it's getting really dark green now. As I make a turn north, the wind picks up dramatically and trees start falling across the road. I picked my way thru and get home to find I just rode thru a tornado's path. I got the shakes then.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
Spotwalla
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,515
Riding on I-95 in heavy summer traffic. The SUV full of teenagers had just roared past me and slid into the lane in front of me...before I could back off and get some space, a surfboard launched off the roof rack.

Whoosh. Inches above my helmet.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
craftsmanracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Exploring farmland while on my zuma, with another friend on his chinese knock off scooter, we were just riding along, having fun, talking to cows..."Hey ladies!", etc

Then we come upon two farmhands fixing fence on the other side of a palmetto cluster. They see us, yell WHAT THE F%#K YALL DOIN HERE?!? then run to their truck. I knew from their reaction to our presence that I better turn around and get on out of there. Well turns out they ran to their trucks to get a machete (no big deal) and a shotgun (big deal). We were about 300 feet away by the time we heard the first shot, I didn't turn around to see if he was aiming at us or just shooting at the sky, I was just in "oh shit" mode, haulin ass as I heard the following two shots.

Anyway, I challenge any dual sport/woods/mx rider to match my pace on those trails that day, the zuma was getting air off of the potholes in that dirt road, and my buddies' chinese scooter started disintegrating because of the blistering speed we were going. His rear storage box literally shattered into a million pieces with the channellocks bouncing around in there so much, and his floorboard cracked in two.

Wasn't our fault tho, I saw sweet dirt roads with no "no trespassing" signs, so I thought I found some sweet new trails.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid. Well you did ask. Come on can nobody tell me they haven't been scared of this hot brown liquid expression all over their riding gear and concerned that someone might notice when they stop.

This is the most scared .... didn't say I have experienced this ... only that it is my vision of the most SCARY!!!
This is even more terrifying when you're riding your bicycle in full spandex... DAMHIK.

OK, on a motorcycle: back when I lived in Wyoming I was riding a two-lane highway outside Dubois, headed for Jackson. On the bridge that crosses the Wind River about 15 miles from Dubois a pickup truck with a flat bed trailer loaded with sheets of plywood was coming the other way. The dumbass didn't have the load strapped down and when he bounced coming onto the bridge the top sheet of plywood sailed a bit, slid off the back of the trailer, and came sliding toward me at a closing speed of probably 120+ mph. I grabbed the brakes, let the truck go by, swerved into the on-coming lane as the sheet of plywood skidded past, then swerved back into my lane as the plywood hit the concrete barricades on the side of the bridge and exploded into a million pieces. That was about ten years ago and I can still see this event today in my mind like a slow-motion video. I had the shakes so bad that I had to stop as soon as I got off the bridge, but the guy in the truck never even slowed down. I don't know if he even knew it had blown off, probably was cursing the lumber yard for shorting him some materials. I had to dig my undies out with a stick I was so puckered up after that. I've always wondered what would have happened if I'd ridden across that plywood; maybe nothing? Probably a disaster? It was coming at an angle and I suspect it would have swept the bike sideways enough to knock me down. I'm glad there wasn't another car behind the truck or I wouldn't be sitting here typing this.

I've had several tires on vehicles I was passing blow up and blast me with rubber bits (twice in one day!), that's always exciting, but that plywood so far takes the prize for scaring the crap out of me. I watch like a paranoid hawk for crap flying out of trucks and trailers and boats after that little adventure.

Doug
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #25
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Guess I have never been real scared, been nervous as hell a few times in uncomfortable situations, like high bridges with a grate decking but all the bad shit that happened like hitting a deer was so quick I didnt have any time to think about what could have happened until later.

IBA 22425

perterra screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:37 AM
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
2 stories, both on my R6

1. Just dropped a friend off at her place and was heading home while in Pittsburgh. 2 lanes of traffic in either direction, I am in the right lane, left lane stopped for left turns. Some dipshit turns blind across the stopped lane of traffic. I think to myself, well at least there is a really good hospital down the road.
Jam the brakes. Too much brakes. Up on my front wheel and seeing the white hood of the car come toward me. And then pass under me. But I was still on one wheel? Next thing I knew I was starting to over rotate so I released my brake lever and came slamming down on my back wheel.
I havent a fucking clue how I got past that car, but the only thing I can guess is that being on one wheel gave my bike a lower profile with my legs/feet above bumper level. Shit, you coulda told me that I simply passed through the car like a ghost for all I know.

2. Riding to meet some buddies at night, and I decided to take a back-road with lots of twisties through the trees. I
see something dangling in the middle of the road illuminated by my hi-beams. By the time I realized it was a spider whose back-end was easily the diameter of a quarter it was too late. I dodged my head to the side but only enough to see it splatter right in front of my left eye. In complete disgust and dismay I blew the turn, ended up in the oncoming lane and almost off the road into the trees before I regained composure.

Still completely skeeved out I met up with my buddies to find a yellowish ooze that had covered most of the left side of my helmet and shoulder of my jacket.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM   #27
WhichWayNow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I was leading a group on an overnight ride. We still had 30 miles to camp and it was dark. We had already seen a number of deer along the road.

My first encounter was a deer that came out in the road at the edge of the area lighted by my headlight. A little close, but plenty of time to slow down and miss the varmit.

A little while later, the next deer runs out into the road 20 or so yards ahead of me. This one was a little closer, but I still didn't hit it.

With two encounters already, I'm watching for any movement anywhere. All of a sudden coming out of the dark, I spot something moving in my left peripheral view. All I could tell was that it was coming directly at me and coming fast. There was no avoiding the collision that was about to happen. I braced for the impending impact. In that spit second, the fast moving object went under my front tire and went spinning off to the right. It turns out the fast moving object was a rabbit.

I was glad to still be on two wheels, but for that brief moment in time, I thought my number was up. It took quite a while for my heart rate to slow back down.

WhichWayNow screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 09:42 AM
WhichWayNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
Fleksta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Probably a few weeks ago while riding the XS650. Coming around a long left sweeper @ 60mph a pickup truck drifted into my lane. I was forced wide when he didn't correct and hit the dirt shoulder. Luckily the state had to have been out just before and had it graded/compacted so I was able to ride it out.

That was a pucker moment for sure. I thought I was going into the trees

Of course the truck kept going as if nothing had happened; the whole ride home that was all I kept thinking about. Lying broken in the trees until the next car came along and discovered me. In retrospect it really is an eye-opener in regard to just how fast things can go wrong.

Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I was near Prundale/Castroville north of Salinas, and I'm going down Meridian road, sort of parallels Hwy 156. I'm probably doing 80, maybe faster. The road has rolling hills, and is 2 lane. I'm coming up a hill, and a Datsun truck comes over the hill in my lane, he pitched it sideways, and got it back into his lane. It was over in a couple of tenths of a second. But damned close.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,113
The night time deer story above prompted this memory of my scariest riding-in-the-dark story: I was riding to work one morning, I think mid-October last year when it was still very dark. I live about 60 miles from my office so have to leave home by about 6:00AM to get there on time. On the route I took that morning it's about 30 miles of back roads and 30 miles of Interstate 81 between our farm near Lexington and Roanoke, Virginia. I always ride very carefully on the backroads because of all the critters but once on I-81 I tend to relax a bit from watching for them; I figure the semi trucks immediately ahead of me have plowed the way through any hapless critter caught on the road. I was blazing along at about 75 mph in the right lane when I spotted a very dark blob ahead in the lights of the truck ahead of me, right on the white line almost in the lane. I was never going to be able to stop, but grabbed the brakes and got it slowed down to maybe 50 by the time I passed it. My first thought was that it was a big black trash bag someone had tossed out, but it was a ferking BEAR! My right leg/saddlebag missed it by maybe two feet and in the rear view mirror, outlined by the car lights behind, I watched it trot on across the road. In the dark, standing on the black pavement, that bear was literally invisible until I was right on it. If it hadn't been for the truck ahead lighting it up for a second I'd have never seen it in time to slow down.

That was another brown streak moment, for certain.

Doug