Old 10-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
The night time deer story above prompted this memory
Same here...

I was on my way to Charlottesville early one morning last May. It was about 6:30AM and was just getting light out. I was cruising down Rt 522 on the South side of Chester gap(about 7 miles South of Front Royal) at about 58-60mph.
As I'm entering a sharp left hand corner at the bottom of the mountain I see movement. It's a young deer on the side of the road grazing. Just then I notice two more...in the oncoming lane! I can't slow too much as I'm into the turn.
One of the little buggers starts to run...right into my lane. Yikes! I can see in my mind the deer knocking my front tire out from under the bike and me going down. I thought I felt a little tug as I went by the deer but I made it past so I kept on going.
After I got to Cville I looked at the side of the bike...

Those hairs on the saddle bag are from that deer!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #32
slabo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
no lights, riding pitch dark tunnels in China.

my alternator got fried .. and I have no choice but to take the bike in to the nearest city, Chengdu.. Only 300km away, no biggie .. I've crossed 2200 km so far on this POS..

I felt like a 4 yro having nightmares for the first time.. scary shit riding through muddy dark Szechuan tunnels..

Sometimes I get cows at the end..

slabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #33
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
We are sofa king spoiled and wimpy here in the United States.....

Doug
Old 10-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #34
jpgrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Mine happened on a ride, but at the time I was pushing the bike instead of riding it. I ran out of gas on a stretch of I-95 going to visit friends near Cape Canaveral. I hadn't passed an exit with a gas station in probably 5-10 miles so I figured I should keep heading the same way and find a gas station. It was probably 10:30 PM and dark but I knew I wasn't too far away. Since the interstate was empty that late all the passing vehicles were getting over to give me space until all of a sudden I heard a truck hit the rumble strip right behind me. He missed me by probably 3 feet but it seemed like 1/2 an inch in that moment. I was shaking for quite awhile after that.

-Patrick
jpgrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #35
390beretta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
This happened to me several years ago, after I'd just completed an advanced riding course two weeks before. I'd taken the course because it had been several years since I owned a bike, so I thought I should refresh. One of the things they emphasized in the course was "you have a lot more braking ability when the bike is upright, rather than leaned over" DUH!
I'd just bought an R90RS and had to take it out before work that day; so got up really early, took I17 South from Flagstaff hit the Sedona exit and started up the switchbacks along the creek back up to flag. These are major switchbacks; you can be leaning over on one and look down to see the one you just completed= hairpin type. I was haulin' ass=stupid, especially since I hadn't ridden for a few years. I went into a turn way too fast, had the bike leaned way over but the rock wall was approaching much faster than I was making the turn. Suddenly that point from the class hit me: I flipped the bike up, braked like a son of a bitch, and really leaned it over again and made it....just barely. Went home, threw the underwear I was wearing away, showered and went to work.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
That would get my attention!
You guys were really pushing it, no?

We actually weren't really pushing it. It was just a series of very bad circumstances over a short period.

Quote:
The more guys in the group, the lower the IQ sinks to...
Man I hope not because collectively it wasn't very high to begin with!!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,327
Passing a car, at night, so I could zip through some twisties- it's a road I grew up on and and knew well. Coming at me out of the twisties was a black full-size truck, travelling very fast, WITH IT'S FUCKING HEADLIGHTS OFF!
I tucked into the car I was passing, hard. Good thing his driver's window was open, because my right handlebar was in the car and my knee was hard against his door. Ducked away from the oncoming side mirror by inches.
My riding partner, about two car lengths behind, told me he'd been all over the brakes to stay away from the pieces he knew were going to fly, said he just knew I was dead. So did I.
I pulled over, and it took about 20 minutes for the shakes to quit.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #38
Homey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Coming into turn one at Willow Springs raceway, flat out in sixth gear on my Yoshimura powered GSXR 750 I went to grab the front brakes and woops, nothing there! I headed off into the desert at something well north of 140+mph with no (front) brakes. That was pretty exciting. Luckily , the big dirt berm they dug to keep vehicles from re-entering the track at turn 3 was there for me to do my best supercross imitation on racing slicks. Somehow I was able to use my body to protect the bike and ended up with the bike laying on top of me. The corner worker came running over and the first thing out of his mouth was "damn, that was a bitchin' crash, I wish I had my camera!"

After I got back to the paddock I fired my mechanic who had put my new Brimbo calipers and rotors on and had forgotten to tighten and safety wire the banjo bolts. I felt sorry for myself and rehired myself a few hours latter...
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #39
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
sofa king
Haw Haw, that very phrase is written in Sharpie on my garage refrigerator, it is plural, tho. Been thinkin bout startin a 3-patch gang, the sofa kings.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:45 AM   #40
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 692
The more I read the more I remember. There was the surprise wheelie in the rain, there was target fixating on the Dragon, there was running way wide on corners and ending up riding in the grass, a few pucker moments like that. The one that I remember most was about five years ago, I was wandering around some back roads in northern Ohio. It was getting late, and getting dark, so I decided to point it back towards Indiana. I had gotten gas when it began to rain. Then it turned heavy, and I found myself riding down a country road with no stripes painted in a thunderstorm. I could barely see the road due to it blending in with the surroundings, the rain on my faceshield, and flashes of lightning. The whole time I wanted nothing more than to find shelter, so it was a battle between hurrying the f up, and slowing down to keep from running off the road. I had no idea where I was, only that I was headed south and sooner or later I'd come to US30 and that would take me home. By the time I reached US30 I ran out of the heavy part of the storm, yet still had rain and wet roads the rest of the way home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
When I was a kid you probably would have gotten beaten up for showing up with a helmet.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #41
rebake
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Mid 1980's.Coming home from work at 11 pm in the rain.Get to the highest point on an arched bridge and lightning hits the metal light pole three feet from me.Thought for sure that i had sparks coming off my gloves.I HATE lightning.Ed
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #42
Twinz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Years ago my riding buddies and I were riding up a very tight mountain road to Little Switzerland in NC. I was the last bike of 3. We were feeling our oats and running hard up that steep twisty road. I came around a corner and found a tractor trailer coming down the hill, and his box was cutting off my lane entirely. I swerved to the shoulder of the corner and made it through just a second before the gap closed-up. I kept riding up the hill to the restaurant at LS and didn't really start the shakes until we stopped. The other guys had made it through before the truck got to that corner. Definitely a pucker moment!
'94 R1100RS, '84 R100CS, '76 R75/6 (S fairing)
'80 Guzzi V50 II, '73 Guzzi V7 Sport

Twinz screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 05:58 AM
Twinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #43
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,627
That sounds as close as it gets.
Always leave an out, which in this case was the car's window, you could have dove inside the car....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Passing a car, at night, so I could zip through some twisties- it's a road I grew up on and and knew well. Coming at me out of the twisties was a black full-size truck, travelling very fast, WITH IT'S FUCKING HEADLIGHTS OFF!
I tucked into the car I was passing, hard. Good thing his driver's window was open, because my right handlebar was in the car and my knee was hard against his door. Ducked away from the oncoming side mirror by inches.
My riding partner, about two car lengths behind, told me he'd been all over the brakes to stay away from the pieces he knew were going to fly, said he just knew I was dead. So did I.
I pulled over, and it took about 20 minutes for the shakes to quit.

1911fan
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #44
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
That sounds as close as it gets.
Always leave an out, which in this case was the car's window, you could have dove inside the car....
No time.

I still remember the driver, surprised, leaning in/away from my handlebar end, my mirror hitting the top of the doorframe, and a split second of "Hope it comes back out of there" before it was over. I knew I was dead, didn't even have time to be scared.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #45
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,036
The more I read the more I remember.

Exactly. I've been riding for almost 50 years, starting on minibikes when I was 5 and graduating through those to motocross, trials, enduros, a limited engagement with flat track (that is ferking CRAZY!), and all manner of road riding/touring/commuting. I've had 1000's of experiences and lived through all of them, I think because I try very hard to to keep the "hazard radar" dialed up to 100% all the time AND I am always open to learning from my experiences. Every single ride can teach you something if you're paying attention. So far I haven't been so unlucky as to experience that one random event that you can't do anything about, but the harder I work at my skills the luckier I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebake View Post
Mid 1980's.Coming home from work at 11 pm in the rain.Get to the highest point on an arched bridge and lightning hits the metal light pole three feet from me.Thought for sure that i had sparks coming off my gloves.I HATE lightning.Ed
My wife and I were headed home one afternoon from a lovely ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and were riding past a little county fair/carnival about five miles from home when a bolt of lightning hit the transformer on a pole right next to the ferris wheel. We saw a flash and BOOM and saw people scrambling off the carnival rides like lemmings jumping off a cliff. It wasn't even raining and the dark clouds were off to the west quite a ways but DAMN! that was CLOSE! I flinched so hard my wife grabbed on so she wouldn't get bucked off and we hauled ass to the house without even getting wet. That was a total surprise; normally the folks who run those carnivals are very aware of lightning and no one expected it to hit so far from the clouds, evidently.

Doug