Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #46
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Knowing for sure I just shorted a 60+ foot triple and will case it.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #47
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,644
Got side swiped head on by a station wagon on my first overnight trip. Was riding close to the centerline on a deserted 4 lane highway at night on my new to me r75/5 when I spotted him weaving ahead, so I started moving into the right lane, seems like he was targeting me by then. Got as close to the edge of the road as i could when he made contact with my left crash bar. A loud bang, and a lurch almost as bad as a full throttle shift on an old airhead, even saw some sparks.

Checked the mirror and the wagon never even hit the brakes, so I continued on for a few miles but got the shakes and pulled over at the next rest stop. Got settled down only to discover the crash bar had knocked a hole in the valve cover and a puddle of oil was forming under the bike.

Riding between brady and llano at night would be the second most scared I've been, dozens of deer running everywhere
and still-twitching carcasses littered the road. I tucked in behind a convoy doing 35mph and let them clear the path
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #48
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,481
Tabby Mountain Utah, myself and two friends were riding an ATV trail through the Ouray/Unita Indian Reservation. It was a terribly rock strewn and rutted uphill run (perfect!). I chose the wrong line and got tossed off the bike.

When I landed the front wheel of the bike was dangling over a 100-150' scree strewn precipice over a an estimated 45% angle mountain side. I found myself holding onto the left grip and the rest of me in the scree on the downhill side. I about shat myself before I gained enough control to get back up on the trail.

I was thankful I had riding buddies to help me get the bike off the precipice and also that they didn't think to get a camera out.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #49
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
All close calls I've had have ended so quickly you didn't have time to get scared. I just sit and shake for a bit after words.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #50
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacommuternow View Post
Sitting here in California, watching Hurricane Sandy hitting New York and New Jersey tonight, is reminding me of the absolute most fear I've ever felt while riding. And that was commuting home from work on my 1150GS, eastbound across the Oakland Bay Bridge, leaving San Francisco at night, in a fiercely gusting Pacific storm, heavy rain whipping horizontally across my handlebars, not able to hold the lane, briefly looking over the edge into the darkness and thinking holy fucking cow is this bridge ever going to end??? And trying to draft a bus who's driver was completely clueless that I desperately needed help and the only help I did get was because of a basically abandoned bridge because the weather was so bad, which meant I could uncontrollably swerve into the next lane with relative safety. Found myself in that situation three times. Man, I was scared on each of those three rides and every time, ever so thankful to see the Oakland side. No more of that for me.
I used to do that commute. From Oakland Hills to the Financial district in SF. You need to go faster!!!! And stay tucked in. I can remember a few crossings just like you describe. Stay away from buses, they are going to cause more harm than good in that setting. You are better off away from the bus in those cases.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #51
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,582
There were these 10 guys in the rest area near Springfield Mo wearing these black leather vests with all kinds of patches on them, said Outlaws .......

Actually I talked to them a bit while I drank a quart of water. Seemed like nice guys. One of them had an airhead he was restoring.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #52
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
[QUOTE=crofrog;19946426]All close calls I've had have ended so quickly you didn't have time to get scared. I just sit and shake for a bit after words

Five years ago today I had a collision with a deer on the road I live on. I don't know what happened as the last thing I can remember is leaving work and then waking up in the hospital. Anyways, a few weeks ago, I was riding a few miles from home on the same road when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye. First thought was a dog, no it was a deer.... He was on my right and going crazy because he was scared and wanted to cross the street back to the woods where he must have come from. There was a car in front of me and the deer was trying to go in between us. I grabbed a handfull of brakes and the deer must have realized he wasn't going to make it, as he was headed straight towards me, he then ran back the other way. He then charged back, then backed off again, that's when I grabbed a whole lot of throttle and got out of there. I looked in my mirror as he ran right behind me. the entire sequence of events took, maybe 5 -6 seconds. It wasn't until I got home that it hit me and the next day going through the same area I got real nervous anticipating a replay of the day before!

DR Donk screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 11:33 AM
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #53
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I have had a few close calls with moose.
My scariest close call was my own fault. Here is the set-up. Going out the highway with my GF on her Z 750s and i was on my K75s. Going down a long straight grade with a double lane coming up the hill on the other side. This meant we could pass if there was nothing coming up the hill. The large RV ahead of us started to slow for no apparent reason and kept going slower and slower. She being the lead rider dropped a couple of gears and did the pass on a line of vehicles. I followed but what we did not know was the reason traffic was slowing was the lead vehicle, an SUV, was hauling a left turn onto a dirt road on the other side. I saw a white fender and my GF clear the bumper by a foot or so and she must have scared the driver. He must have hit the brakes because when i passed i tipped the bike and squuezed my leg out of the way of the chrome bumper. Inches at best. My heart was racing and knees were shaking for twenty minutes.
Lesson learned. If traffic is slowing on the highway on a downhill there must be a reason.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #54
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,807
Earlier this summer I waited out a thunderstorm at work before heading home. one last check of the radar showed the storm had moved off. So, I put my gear on and get to the bike and leave (all took maybe 5 minutes). About one mile down the road the bottom falls out of the sky with lightening everywhere! I pull into a gas station and pull up the radar again on my phone. Turns out a new storm was forming right where the old one was that had not shown up on the radar 10 minutes previous when I checked before leaving. I stayed at the gas station for about 20 minutes waiting for the new storm to pass before leaving.

It wasn't so much the rain that scared me, but lightening I would prefer not to mess with. Especially since I was not in my Faraday Cage that day!
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #55
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Maybe I'm jaded or dumb or just tired.

I wont say I've never been scared riding. I will say that the scarier part is when you're unexpectedly not riding.

I think for the most part I shrug off those close encounters as 'just part of riding'. I think that when you start having that fear build up, you start moving away from riding.

It's weird. I don't want to claim any false bravery or anything, but I do try not to be fearful on the road, I just try to be aware and alert to conditions. I guess I alway thought you can worry about the consequences after you leave your bike, guess thats what this is, shit that was scary after the fact.

I've been in some gnarly storms, seen some stupid shit on the highway, even been approached by a wildfire. I think at the time I was exhilarated and just trying to get through it. After you're done I guess you're like 'okay, i got through that, that was kind of scary'.

I think the biggest ordeal I had on the bike (not after coming off of it). Was being in a torrential downpour, in the mountains, and it was pitch black, and my visor kept fogging up, while i was trying to avoid going off cliffs because the road stripes sucked. Yeah, it was a bit unsettling. Just a random storm after a long day was fuckin with me.

I hate driving in Houston sometimes, I try not to do it when I'm not sharp, shit'll come out of no where, and you'll die, and it will be your fault.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #56
See-Three
C3

Oddometer: 131
This one had me a little shaken, transmission blew up/locked up going 70mph. luckily i was on a straightaway.

See-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #57
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,312
Over the summer I was entering a corner on the KTM, I dropped a gear from 3rd to 2nd as the corner was very tight(or so I thought) turns out I must've hit the shifter twice as even though I rev matched for a 3rd to 2nd shift, the rear locked up since it was really in first. Bike goes way sideways and I guess I must've grabbed some throttle to keep it under control and sliding rather than highsiding. To the minivan coming the other way, I either looked like a maniac or a pro as I drifted around the corner foot down. Wish I could say I'm just that good but instead just that damn lucky that I did the right thing totally on instinct. I was laughing and shaking like a leaf afterward. Any other time I have that damn GoPro on me and running just for nothing interesting to happen and that day I hadn't grabbed it.
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #58
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I've had several close calls over the years but the one that really scared me was during a SS1000 ride a few years ago. My riding buddy was on a Goldwing and I was following on my DL650. We knew we were going to hit a line of showers but figured we would wait them out at a gas station or restaurant and then have clear skies for the rest of the trip. We were somewhere south of Tuscaloosa, AL on the interstate at about 5AM. The weather went from starry skied to pouring buckets of rain in minutes. The rain was heavy but what really scared me were the wind gusts. The first gust pushed me into the other lane and scared the crap out of me. 2 or 3 seconds later I was blown all the way across my original lane onto the shoulder. To compound matters, this portion of I-59 is dotted with those little 100 foot bridges. By this time I had slowed to about 35mph and was watching my mirrors for headlights in case some moron was driving faster. I got on the CB and told my buddy I was going to pull off the shoulder, leave the bike, and wait it out and he urged me to go the next 1/2 mile to an exit. We made it to the exit and pulled into a gas station just in time to see the emergency weather guy on the TV talking about severe T-storms and straight line winds. The radar looked brutal and we had just ridden through it.

I honestly thought that a big gust was just going to knock me off a bridge or into a car. Luckily, there were very few cars out at that time of morning. I literally had the shakes for 15-20 minutes after getting off the bike. The rest of the trip was fantastic though.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Ironmule
Back after a layoff

Oddometer: 2
I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Three View Post
This one had me a little shaken
My skid mark from a locked up transmission I paced off as 180 feet. I remember, as I felt things lock up, that I thought "this is going to be expensive",,,,,,,"and hurt",,,,,,but thankfully it was only expensive.

I guess reflexes built up dirt riding as a kid back in the '60's kicked in and kept the bike under me.

It's funny how you don't get the shakes till you've got the kick stand down and you're looking back at the skidmark and thinking about the curves you were just carving at 80+ two miles back.

BMW R100R (Jan '08---)

Long ago
Suzuki X6 ('66-68)
Hodaka 90 ('68-70)
Ducati 350 (68-70)
Yamaha 360 enduro (72-78)
Ironmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #60
chorizo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacommuternow View Post
Sitting here in California, watching Hurricane Sandy hitting New York and New Jersey tonight, is reminding me of the absolute most fear I've ever felt while riding. And that was commuting home from work on my 1150GS, eastbound across the Oakland Bay Bridge, leaving San Francisco at night, in a fiercely gusting Pacific storm, heavy rain whipping horizontally across my handlebars, not able to hold the lane, briefly looking over the edge into the darkness and thinking holy fucking cow is this bridge ever going to end??? And trying to draft a bus who's driver was completely clueless that I desperately needed help and the only help I did get was because of a basically abandoned bridge because the weather was so bad, which meant I could uncontrollably swerve into the next lane with relative safety. Found myself in that situation three times. Man, I was scared on each of those three rides and every time, ever so thankful to see the Oakland side. No more of that for me.
Ive had the same experience on the Benicia Bridge. The kind where you lean into the wind at about a 2 oclock angle and
then the wind lets up for a second and wham gusts again. Had to pull over and get my composer back after that stretch. Its made me consider other routes just to stay off that bridge. Gives the term butt sucking vinyl a real visual. Im puckering now.
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote