Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #61
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
In like 1990, I was westbound on I-80, at about I-35, coming into Des Moines Iowa. There was a VERY ominous looking storm ahead, but the last time I had checked the weather (3 hrs prior) there hadn't been anything bad forcast. Started to ride under the "edge" of the storm cloud, when the wind went from a breeze to what felt like 60 MPH.....the motorhome ahead of me began to sway, and after a few steering corrections it went into the ditch. I had slowed to like 30, and despite starting out in the right lane and leaning to the right at what felt like a 45 degree angle, I still ended up on the left side shoulder....the wind pushed me across the equivalent of two lanes. It was the evening traffic rush, and I just knew I was gonna get mowed over from behind. The rain hit moments later, and I bailed off at the next exit, and rode out the storm (which lasted maybe 10 minutes) at a gas station.

The other time I got scared chitless, was on I-70 beween KC and Topeka Ks. They had repaved the highway....brand new asphalt.....the kind of "black" that just absorbs light. No lines painted, and no street lights. To make it worse, it starts raining. I see something ahead, but couldn't even really be sure if I was seeing anything other than black......turns out, it was a road gator....the whole damned tread surface.

I missed it by just inches....the wife, who was following in the car, went right over it. Ripped the spoiler off the front of the car....took me what seemed like 30 minutes to stop shaking. I kept imagining me hitting that thing, and tumbling down the highway with the wife and kids having front row seats to the event.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #62
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
In my early 20s I lived in Portland, OR and rode an RD400. I met a buddy of mine for dinner and we had a couple of drinks (I know, like I said I was in my 20s). After dinner we were going to his dad's house in an area of town I'd not been to.
He was driving his muscle car and we headed up I-5 and then took an exit I thought I was familiar with. I had a good line and (thought) I knew the exit well, so I blew his doors in.

Well. Wrong exit. It tightened up WAY faster than the exit I remembered.

I held my turn best I could but I was fucked. I should paint the correct picture. This was an overpass with "jersey barrier" along both edges and at least a 50' drop off over the barrier.

I drifted to the outside edge of the turn with both tires skidding and was past the fog line, on sand and waiting for impact because the jersey barrier was only a foot to the other side of the fog line.

The impact never came and I rolled out the far end of the turn coasting.

My buddy blew by me and down the road. I didn't hit 35mph the rest of the night.
aftCG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #63
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
I recall one occasion some 44 years ago when I had a semi drift over to my lane and begin to take a corner. As I was enclosed between the kerbing, the rear of the truck cabin, and the truck's nearside rear wheels - I had no option other than to also take that corner.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #64
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 196
The most scared I ever was on a bike was when my father found out I had bought a MOTORCYCLE!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #65
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
My wedding day in '98. I was on my '93 CBR1000F. The CD for "thee dance" was at my parent's house and I was getting ready for the wedding. A normal 30 minute trip only took 10. The scary part was the big left hand sweeper. At normal speed it's nothing but at 130 I started on the white line, apexed ( a little early) on the double yellow through the passing lane. I had the bike leaned all the way over. My foot, foot peg, and centerstand were all dragging as I started difting back throught both lanes toward the white line and the field/trees. I had to stay in the thottle or lose stability. I came out of the turn just as I met the white line again. I did have a helmet on but other than that it was shorts and a T-shirt. I did ruin a nice pair of hiking boots. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have walked away from that one! As it turned out "thee CD" was in the cage at the wedding the whole time. I told her the story and she still married me.
I did a lot of dumb things on that bike but it seemed like fun at the time.
Young, Dumb, and Bullet Proof!
Not so much any more!!
Ride safe!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #66
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Whew....

In the early 90s I was stationed in Boulder, CO and took a lunch time ride up Flagstaff mountain. As I was headed up I began to feel my "oats" and turned up the wick on my 1982 Yamaha 650 Maxim. I came around a blind RH turn with the rock wall on the right with a sheer drop off beyond the left lane. As I entered the turn a delivery truck appeared in my lane barrelling down on me. I jerked into the left lane hoping there wasn't another vehicle there. Fortunately, there wasn't, eh at least for a second. Just as I was feeling a bit better when another vehicle appeared in my new lane. I jerked back into the original lane. I had never scraped much until then... I didn't lose it, but nearly. Got to the top of the mountain and sat there for 20 minutes shaking. Had other moments but this one really stood out.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #67
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Riding back to NYC from upstate New York at dusk.... deer EVERYWHERE on the highway I've never been more alert in my life!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #68
socal_or_bust
Fair Weather Rider

Oddometer: 2
need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO II View Post
Having a quick fart and hoping it didn't come out liquid. Well you did ask. Come on can nobody tell me they haven't been scared of this hot brown liquid expression all over their riding gear and concerned that someone might notice when they stop.

This is the most scared .... didn't say I have experienced this ... only that it is my vision of the most SCARY!!!

I am brand new to this site and a approved member. How do I create new threads? I need some real world advice about carb choke system on my yamaha maxim 750 but when I type yamaha or anything like that i get an error of some sort.

Email me advice on how to post new threads, socal_or_bust@yahoo.com
socal_or_bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #69
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
I was probably more scared on certain circumstances when I was learning to ride on a MX100 Yamaha back in the day than I have been of more life threatening riding ever since.

The last time I accepted that I may die without an option was when I put myself on a raised highway for a long night ride home in pouring rain... but then I rode into a Tornado Warning area that got far uglier than I could have imagined (stupid me, I initially could sorta see into the distance and darkness, and figured I might see a tornado coming at me... problem is that when you're finally in the bad storm cell, you ain't seein' shit). Accepting death (the whole two times I have ever done it) and being scared are two totally different things.

I watched a tractor trailer that I caught up to almost get blown over onto me, then I was being pushed over more than two lanes at a time, and riding at a severe lean to stay straight, with visibility down to feet with the heavy sideways rain. It wasn't an issue of stopping, it was an issue of not even seeing the shoulders or what was around or past them, and thus not really having place to pull over to. One just doesn't simply stop on I-95 in Florida, no matter what the visibility or danger is, unless one accepts being rear-ended... so I had no choice but to keep pressing on while even the only two trucks on the highway (all others seemingly got the message and were parked at the rest stop we passed earlier in the storm) slowed to about 5 MPH. Again, it wasn't ever a consideration of being scared, but what I should do if given the opportunity, and what I was presented with that caused me to ride on in very severe and life threatening conditions. Really, it was indescribable how bad it was, but then I've been there before in other ventures. Some day it has to catch up to me. I know that.

I'm probably more scared of some social interactions (this, having prior successfully been a teacher for five years where one is always on stage) than I am of the close calls and what-evers that active living (such as riding and working with a demolition company) brings about.

I get more scared in dreams when I lose a loved one, or some other hyper-real dream, than motorcycling in south Florida's traffic, feeder bands, and its other severe weather can bring. I sometimes wonder if this lack of 'being scared' would change if I had children, but all I know is what most seem to call being scared is either just an experience or just another adrenaline rush to me.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 08:15 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #70
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer: 66
NC, 2002: rode into lightning storm on Brown Mountain with son and two friends. Stopped, parked, huddled, took five jolts of stray voltage over ten minutes or so.. On shot split an 18" tree trunk my 380 was leaned against. All the bikes started after the shocks. God was there.

Pikes Peak, 2006: Son on a KDX, daughter on an XR100 (street legal, barely) myself on a 250EXC. Passing a log truck going uphill, son in the lead. Daughter follows, Suburban coming downhill as she pulls out to pass. You can;t imagine the terror. The Suburban pulls off the road, everyone lives. I was ready to quit riding bikes. Half an hour later we're at the top; Half an hour after that we're racing downhill with dead engines. Decided not to quit riding, only to ride a lot more intelligently. And to never tell daughter to follow her brother when he passes...This one wakes me up at night a few times a year.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #71
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Was on an after dinner ride near Natural Bridge Virginia (outside Lexington) on Friday, June 29.

As we rode down off the Blue Ridge towards Natural Bridge, we commented that it looked like rain was going to roll in later.

Just after passing through Natural Bridge on US-11 heading back towards Lexington, the storm's gust front hit. We were in a bit of a "tree tunnel" and leaves and limbs were flying. Trees were waving and swirling. I thought we were riding straight into a tornado.

Just then, I heard a loud crack, and the sound of a (what I thought was a small) tree falling. I could see it out of the corner of my eye, and could feel some of the twigs at the ends of the branches hit my hands.

We rode a few hundred more yards, then determined to turn around and seek shelter back at Natural Bridge at the motel. Well, our way was blocked by a very large Sycamore tree. The tree was a couple feet in diameter and blocked the road from ditch to ditch. This was the tree that nearly hit us a few moments before.

A scary damned thought. And the storm was growing even more violent. Trees were cracking and popping all around. We got back on the motorcycle and headed towards Lexington. A mile up the road (felt like a lot more), and we were to safety! A fireman motioned for us to pull into the Natural Bridge Volunteer Fire Department's fire house, which we did.

We were there from 9pm until after midnight. It was a crazy storm! And, the thought of that tree missing us by feet as we rode on US-11 will never leave me.

It wasn't until the next morning that we learned how bad that storm had been, and how many people had been affected in WVA, VA, and MD.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #72
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
In my early 20s I lived in Portland, OR and rode an RD400. I met a buddy of mine for dinner and we had a couple of drinks (I know, like I said I was in my 20s). After dinner we were going to his dad's house in an area of town I'd not been to.
He was driving his muscle car and we headed up I-5 and then took an exit I thought I was familiar with. I had a good line and (thought) I knew the exit well, so I blew his doors in.

Well. Wrong exit. It tightened up WAY faster than the exit I remembered.

I held my turn best I could but I was fucked. I should paint the correct picture. This was an overpass with "jersey barrier" along both edges and at least a 50' drop off over the barrier.

I drifted to the outside edge of the turn with both tires skidding and was past the fog line, on sand and waiting for impact because the jersey barrier was only a foot to the other side of the fog line.

The impact never came and I rolled out the far end of the turn coasting.

My buddy blew by me and down the road. I didn't hit 35mph the rest of the night.

If you'd been on some kind of big dualsport you could have just ridden those barricades like a banked corner. C'mon, man, build those skills, try something new!

I keep having flashbacks to other close calls as I read this thread. This one reminded me of rounding a corner up in the mountains of Wyoming one fine afternoon and finding a cow shit slick all across the road. There is nothing slicker than wet cowshit on asphalt, in my experience. I damn near hit a delineator post as I slid off into the gravel and got it lined back up to keep riding, sewing machine foot going like crazy. I realized later (when I caught up with the rig) that the shit came from a cattle hauler truck - as he rounded the turns the accumulated shit from all the cows in the trailer slopped out in a nice fan arrangement onto the asphalt, and only in the corners, of course. Gawd.

Doug
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #73
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,173
At the very instant the moron 17 year old kid T-boned my rear right pannier after "not seeing me" this would have been two miliseconds before my right shoulder impacted the ground and things went black I got better.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Two times I was really scared. The first was when a "buddy" dared me to go off of a motocross jump at speed. I actually closed my eyes as I left the jump,but landed smoothly saying to myself "Damn lets do that again"

The second time was when I entered a 6 hour enduro,It was a LeMans start with the small bikes closest to the first turn. I got a very good start being about 10th from the leader .Going into the first turn some SOB rode over my foot,that reminded me there were another 160 riders behind me and I better not fall.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #75
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,483
First one that comes to mind, as paraphrased from my only ride report, heading to Palmdale, CA from Lake Tahoe:

Down over the mountain and back on 395, it started raining and sleeting immediately. Unfortunately, the clouds were hangin' too low and scraped across the mountains, emptying their contents all along my ride; north of Bodie all the way to Lake Tahoe and from Lake Tahoe all the way down past Bishop. Stoimin'/rainin'/frownin'.

There was a (small) rockslide on the road next to Mono Lake.. instead of just driving around it (there was NO on-coming traffic), the lead car in the pack I was approaching slammed on their brakes and stopped completely in the road. At this point, I was ignorant of the rockslide but the road was a river, I hit my brakes fairly hard.. and there goes the rear end. The back tire wanted to catch up with the front by coming around my left side; here's the wind-up and the pitch.. didn't happen. Right as it caught traction again the bike snapped into a wicked shimmy that I had to dance on top of to control. It was all over in about 1.5 seconds. Thank God for my following distance. I stopped with space to spare. Pulled over at the next gas station where some Harley riders were taking a break and we laughed about the "pucker factor."

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote