ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
hubrus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
KTM 990 Adv must do mods

Newbie here!

Just bought my first KTM, 2010 990 Adventure.

Before buying it I read several threads, suggesting some must do mods such as sprocket, kick stand relocation, EFI mapping etc etc.

I'm wondering if there's a thread or link which consolidate all these changes.

Thanks!
hubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Put a skid plate and side stand relocater on and ride the wheels off of it! IMO!!!!
advrockrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
hubrus OP
Adventurer

I would like to fabricate as much parts as I can, is there a skid plate diagram anywhere in this site? crach bars also are desirable.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Required mods

Headlight mods, or aux lights a must. OEM lighting is completely underwhelming.

Change out the OEM HEATOLATOR muffler cans for aftermarket units of your choice and budget.

Large platform foot pegs are good. Pivotpegz are wonderful.

Suspension Tuning, stiffer springs depending how "aggressive" you squeeze the beast.

High front fender treatment. Will need the clearance if you go into the mud zone.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Ainsley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Dont think there is a list, some things are dependent on what you want to do with the bike and some are a matter of taste.

For safety I would do the sidestand relocator and crash bars first.

For cosmetics I would do the exhaust and high front fender.

For riding feel you can do pegs, some do the seat but only if you ride for long distances.

Other things are dependent on you, so different screens are used as some taller riders get a of wind :)

Others ride a lot more on the road/dirt so pick stuff to suit that environment.

But I think if I was to do just one and keep it on the road most of the time Id do the exhaust - just to make it sound great.

If it was offroad more Id do the sidestand relocator.

If you use it in the dark, look at lights.

But the more you look on here the more you can do. What you decide is necessary or just fun is up to you.
Bultaco 205
Hysucat 2x175's
Ainsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
hubrus OP
Adventurer

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

The previous owner installed a 2-in-one exhaust, the bike sounds good for my taste.

I really like the dual exhaust rear end, so I'm planning to build a "fake" exhaust storage cillinder for gas canister, tools etc.

It seems that the kick stand relocation, skid plate and crash bars are a must and easy to do.

Before installing the auxiliary lights I'm planing to upgrade the ODM with HID, perhaps will be enough.

Keep sending more tips
Old 03-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Since I got mine I had to do the water pump rebuild, side stand relocation and my clutch slave cylinder has gone now so bought replacement parts today. I will be getting a better bash plate soon to.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,021
I think if you do a search you will find just as many folks who don't use crash bars as do use them, so I wouldn't call that a "must do". I don't run them.

If you're planning on decking it out and dragging it over boulders then the skid plate is a good idea, otherwise that's kind of a waste of money. I use the stock plate and have no issues with it.

I would say "must do's" would be as Eric said: Know your water pump and slave cylinder, valves, basic maintenance, side stand plate or re-locator then ride it and go from there.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
insidelinemoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
A while back I put together a few tips. Some are VERY important and inexpensive like the side stand re-locator. Another that is very important and cheaper than two cases of beer is the right mirror re-location to protect your important and expensive front brake master cylinder! That mod didn't make this album but its just a simple replacement clamp for the master cylinder that has a boss for the mirror to get it off the side of your brake master reservoir. Also I cut 2 3/4" off my wind screen which makes a great difference off road and to me the cosmetic appearance didn't suffer like I feel it does when cut even shorter.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6641336&type=1
Have fun with your new machine!!
insidelinemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:48 PM   #10
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 959
Hope I don't start a flamewar here but..

I would strongly advise NOT using crashbars.

Form an engineering perspective, the 950 really just doesn't have good mounting locations for them. The front two bolt points are both on the same alum sub-sub-frame, there's no top bolt point so they can fold in and cause damage, and the rear mount on most designs is a clamp that can slip, break free and potentially punch a hole in the real cylinder head.

I've personally seen a few crashes where the crash bars were by far and away the source of most of the damage.

Similarly, my bike had a 50mph oblique collision with a firetruck and the standard tanks held out fine. They're a nylon composite, and incrediblt impact-resistant.

Some carbon fiber and kevlar guards for abrasion and puncture protection are by far a lighter and more effective solution, IMHO.
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
dirtbikebagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I like the crash bars that KTM sells, I had to drag my 990 down a loose shale rock covered hill and the bike doesnt have a scratch because of those bars.
Luggage
Windshield
Seat
Exhaust
Oh yeah... More rear tires.
dirtbikebagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #12
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubrus View Post
I would like to fabricate as much parts as I can, is there a skid plate diagram anywhere in this site? crach bars also are desirable.
I'd also like to know..
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:43 AM   #13
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,819
I suggest the following mods:

1) Replacing the bolts holding the chain slider in place, with a bolt through, M6X100 with a nyloc:

so this never happens:

resulting to this:

you can find lots of tips here by Geek and O.C. :
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525

mud guard cutting in the swingarm can be avoided installing some washers at the retaining bolts

and
drilling wishbone to avoid chain adjusters seizing being emergency mods in my mind. The 3mm hole should be as close to the welds as possible.

Rerouting of your wiring harness around the steering could also be critical, as some wires were cut as a result of wrong installation from the factory.
Exhaust mufflers replacing is important because of heat and not appearance or sound.
Lights upgrade could also be a safety mod.

Cheers.

gefr screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 10:47 AM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubrus View Post
Newbie here!

Just bought my first KTM, 2010 990 Adventure.

Before buying it I read several threads, suggesting some must do mods such as sprocket, kick stand relocation, EFI mapping etc etc.

I'm wondering if there's a thread or link which consolidate all these changes.

Thanks!
Having been here a while, and reading all the posts I can find the list seems to be:-

Side stand locater – or your case will implode in an accident
Drill hole in swingarm – or it will rot from the inside
Handguards – KTM ones are no good
Crashbars or not – depends on what your worried about.
Waterpump shaft – or your waterpump will disintegrate
New seat – or your arse will fall off
New mirrors – or the standard ones will destroy themselves if you crash
Footpegs – because the KTM ones are too small/big
Exhausts – Ktm ones too heavy, don’t make enough noise, run too hot
Exhausts – if you have twin you will need to convert it to single, if single you will obviously want to change back to twin.
Battery – standard one is rubbish apparently
Lights – standard headlight is rubbish apparently
Screen – standard one is too tall/too short, depends on you
New forks/shock – standard ones are too short/tall, too much/not enough spring
Wheels – you have to change the rims as the KTM ones are made of butter and will bend in a heartbeat
Tanks – You need new tanks as standard ones are way to small
Extra fan - standard headlight is rubbish apparently and not man enough for the job
Clutch master cylinder – standard one is way too small
Tyres – defiantly tyres, if you’re a road rider standard ones don’t have enough grip, if off road not knobblie enough
Clutch slave – you will need one of these the standard one on your bike is about to fall apart
Spot lights – you will need those everyone has them,
Air filter – you will probably want one of those,
Computer lead/software – you will want that after you have changed the exhaust and air filter
SAS removal – that’s essential too
Panniers – you will need some of those, spend at least $1500 or they aint worth Cxxp
Carbs – you could consider changing back to carbs, the FI is useless apparently

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT !!! – get some breakdown insurance because unless you do ALL of the mods above it wont last 5 minutes/5 mile.

Sorry if I have missed anything, but that would seem to be about the size of the list, or you could just ride the bike and find that KTM actually produced a pretty good bike out of the box and MOST (if any) of it isn’t needed

Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #15
Badabing70
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Badabing70 ride baby ride!
Badabing70 is offline   Reply With Quote