User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #106
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
Thumb A word from the racing forum...

F5 Dakar 2013 is shaping up to be huuuuuuge (as big Daryl Eastlake used to be so fond of saying ), and the f5irehose official DAKAR COVERAGE thread will be stickied in the racing forum from the fifth of january (official start ceremony), so be sure and poke your head in there from time to time (though be careful that you don't bursy an eardrum from the virtual water pressure ). For those tha can't devote the time/attention span to follow the whole f5 frenzy on the OFFICIAL COVERAGE thread, there is also the CLIFF NOTES thread (also a sticky at top racing forum) where you can get a hum of the general state of play and the most pertinent and informative posts from the entire DAKAR/coverage and related threads...

For those of you specifically interested in keeping track of our big field of Aussies in this years Dakar (both moto's and auto's) I will do my best to flip over the most relevant and interesting "Aussie info" from the race into here... Where, we can indulge ourselves a little more in our efforts to will on Fishy, Grabbo, SmithyT, Rod F, (the other)Troy, Strange Warren, our GHR Quad(raplegic) SmithyD and of course the Coconuts, Team red earth (both in auto's)... and any other down under wonders that I have omitted.

I hope that our other entrusted "Safari/Dakar" f5 f5aithfull... blokes like SafariBerg, Sylvia, tREV and all you other aussie rally freaks that love to hang out here, will contibute your own stuff when and where you can, and make THIS the biggest OZ dakar contingent on ADV to date.

Cheers! Troy (safari) Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #107
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Chillin @ Sydney waiting for the flight to Santiago, met up with Rod Faggotter and Andrew Scott, then bumped into Steve Riley and the Red Earth auto boys on the plane.

Got to Lima and checked into the hotel, picked up the Nissan 4x4 assistance car @ the airport, got some local Peru currency, now time for a feed & wash, tomorrow it's out to the warehouse to pick up the bike & spares box & start organising gear with Ben Grabham and Rod Faggotter at Hotel El Gran Mundo.

Hitting the hard stuff on new years eve in Lima "Inca Cola"
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #108
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,709
Any info or pics of our GHR Quad(raplegic) SmithyD and his quad setup?

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #109
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,238
I'm excited and envious looking at those pics of the lads - livin' the dream - BIG TIME!
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 PM   #110
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,895
Best wishes for a safe dakar finish for all , and a clean run for the Aussies

Such a brilliant and diverse country to be competing thru, i wish i was there .
Some interesting Lima Fact's

there are over A MILLION Taxis in Lima.
If ya gonna get the shits, just don't get them in the Lima National museum, there's no paper .... i looked believe me i looked.
Beef heart skewers and Cuy (Guineapig) is Sunday lunch.

Best of luck, on the Moto's
Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #111
Linc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
GHR Truck and AUDI Q7........

Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #112
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,823
He's not an Aussie but he's an ADV member - Lyndon Poskitt AKA Pyndon is racing this year.
Here's a link to his FB page with some photo's of the bivouac and bike prep:
http://www.lyndonposkittracing.com/2.../#!prettyPhoto

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #113
stathill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
GHR Honda Blog

Good info here - http://ghrhonda.dirtbike.com.au/blog/
stathill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #114
SafariBerg OP
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,926
Busy day yesterday first up down to the shipping wharehouse to pick up the bike and spares box, always a relief to finally have the bike unpacked and know all's arrived safe and set to go.

First ride in Peru from the shipping wharehouse back to the Hotel in central Lima

After the work was done, we all headed out to a good restaurant that Andrew Scott knew about, the boys all settled for some big Argentina style grilled steaks..................they decided to give the local special a miss....Guinea Pig !!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #115
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,626
GO the AUSSIES!!!!!!

Good luck, and stay calm......
We'll all be rootin for yuz, for sure. Hope you can keep up the info and pix. Most importantly; FINISH! FINISH! etc etc ...

just for the effort, ( forget the expense ..), to go through with something so Big. Total admiration from here. Again, Good Luck wishes.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #116
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I'm starting to update the GHR blog now that images are gradually coming through to me. I've only had one test phone call and email just to make sure the comms are working, but the boys are all busy getting things ready. I expect scrutineering pics to come through today.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #117
Safariaddict
Safari 2010 FINISHED

Oddometer: 164
Dakar App

Has anyone here tried to download the Dakar app and have the message popup saying not available in the Aussie store. Is it me or do we not get the Dakar app down under for what ever reason. I used the 2012 version last year with no problems ?
Safariaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #118
NoHillsNoTrees
mostly upright

Oddometer: 180
Any word on Matt "where's my gear?" Fish. Has HIS gear been able to make the trip? Also race numbers for the Aussies, are they listed anywhere? Or not yet?
Go all the Aussie competitors, stay safe............just a bit excited ( a whole lot more than the wife )
NoHillsNoTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #119
fetid_swamp
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHillsNoTrees View Post
Any word on Matt "where's my gear?" Fish. Has HIS gear been able to make the trip? Also race numbers for the Aussies, are they listed anywhere? Or not yet?
Go all the Aussie competitors, stay safe............just a bit excited ( a whole lot more than the wife )
no idea about Matt "no fuel & no gear" fish early status.
but these are the numbers listed in the officious compeditor listing.

39 Matt Fish
51 simon pavey
57 Ben Grabham
75 Troy O'Connor
123 Rod Faggoter
131 Warren Strange
156 Todd Smith
181 Andrew Scott
274 Quad Paul Smith

Standing on the front lawn, shirtless, arguing with meth head neighbours while surrounded by bemused cops with dogs and tasers at the ready, his mullet gently blowing in the breeze.
fetid_swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #120
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
from http://ghrhonda.dirtbike.com.au/2013...bers-to-watch/

Included herein as honorary Aussies are Brett Cummings and Glen Grundy, both of whom are gentlemen and top blokes to boot.
Dakar 2013: Numbers to watch

As the start of the 2013 Dakar draws near, it’s time to introduce the the team properly.

This year there are four CRF450X Rallye bikes to be ridden by Todd Smith (AUS), Warren Strange (AUS), Brett Cummings (ZAF) and Glenn Grundy (ZAF). A new project for GHR is the TRX700XX quad to be ridden by Paul Smith (AUS). Providing mechanical support to the riders will be team owner Glenn Hoffmann, Simon Wade, Rob Ingram, Jake Young and Peter Wilhelms. Some of the riders have other personal supporters in tow.

Work has been ongoing since the team’s debut at the 2011 Dakar. 2012 resulted in a year off from racing at Dakar, but along side team victories at the Australasian Safari, Condo 750 and Yellow Mountain Cross Country there has been continual development in the background dedicated to the next Dakar appearance.

GHR Honda's Todd Smith, #156, Dakar 2013

#156 Todd Smith was granted the GHR Honda ticket to Dakar this year for two reasons, partly based on form but also to provide him the same experience that younger brother Jacob had in 2011. GHR have always approached the Dakar as a multi year project, so for future campaigns it’s essential that the key riders all have the opportunity to acquaint themselves with the event. Winner of the 2011 Australasian Safari and multiple navigational rallies in 2012 his outlook for Dakar is one of confidence.

GHR Honda's Warren Strange, #131, Dakar 2013

#131 Warren Strange is a highly motivated individual with extensive race experience at home and abroad. He entered the 2011 Dakar with GHR Honda and was running well until succumbing to a shoulder injury on Day 6. Not to be discouraged, Warren embarked on a rigorous recovery and training program in 2012 with a view to racing hard at Dakar again this year. In contrast to his preparations for 2011, Warren has covered monumental distances on his rally bike in the last 12 months riding solo in remote parts of central Australia. His bike fitness and familiarity with his machine are exceptional, as demonstrated by his second place outright in the most recent Australasian Safari.

South Africans under the GHR flag: Brett Cummings #89 and Glen Grundy #91, Dakar 2013

South African rider #89 Brett Cummings is the winner of the Australian division of the recent Dakar Challenge. His fourth place finish at the 2012 Australasian Safari with GHR also saw him secure this Challenge granting him free entry at this year’s Dakar. It’s a far cry from his frustrations the previous year when he sustained massive injuries only weeks before he was due to race the Safari for the first time. However in a demonstration of character and true grit, he still came to Australia to offer support to compatriot Glen Grundy and to learn what he could for next time. His training over the last 12 months has involved a numerous races on motorcycles and mountain bikes, exposure to altitude and extreme heat and constant discipline in the gym.

Also from South Africa is #91 Glen Grundy. Glen has followed the Dakar Rally enthusiastically for years, but it was only after following the race on two wheels in 2009 that he realised it was a challenge he could see himself meeting. Relatively speaking he is a late-comer to competitive motorcycle racing, but he is no stranger to adventure and it’s in this spirit that he’s entered Dakar. He has been conscientious in his training over the last two years, entering numerous races at home and abroad. In 2011 Glen’s debut at the Australasian Safari was halted by a fractured collarbone. But rather than rushing home he remained with the team for the rest of the event and came back to proudly claim his finisher’s medal in 2012. Training along side Brett Cummings for most of 2012, he’s in good stead to claim his Dakar finisher’s medal this year too.

GHR Honda quad rider Paul Smith #274, Australia's first quad pilot at Dakar in 2013

Victorian #274 Paul Smith is making history in 2013 as Australia’s first quad rider to enter the Dakar. His partnership with GHR Honda was forged late in 2011 with the decision to race the 2013 Dakar aboard a Honda TRX700XX. He already has multiple victories at the Australasian Safari, Finke Desert Race and State quad MX races under his belt supported by numerous podium places taken on four wheels in the last decade. Completing Dakar has been a long time dream but he’s seeking to make an impression beyond that.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote