User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
MichaelRay OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Which Airhawk?

I'm not quite sure I want to blow 500.00 a new seat for my F8 just yet that thought I'd try the airhawk, but see they offer different models. What model and size do you have and do you like it? Also, how much does this add to the height of the seat? I'm kinda on my tip toes now... :o) - Thanks!
MichaelRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
I use the Medium Cruiser pad to get more support on the outsides for better weight distribution.
It can raise you almost and inch, depending. I use a BMW low seat + airhawk, and that combo works perfect for me. You could cut out some foam on you stock height seat to lower it, especially if you'll be leaving the AH pad on all the time. Search around for DIY seat mods.
Many long comfy miles with the AH, I don't leave home without it.
Pay attention to the instructions when you start using it, it's very important to get it just right to get the most out of it, without raising you too high.

Cheers

Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
I have two of them. The medium cruiser and the small pillion. For me the medium cruiser was too large and I don't sit that far back on the seat to have my butt over the wide area. The small pillion fits my needs and doesn't move around as much as the cruiser one did. My wife uses the cruiser one when we do two up. In general I think they're annoying accessories but they are comfortable; I'm just waiting for my Renazco to be made in May - and then I'm ditching the airhawks. They also make good pillows for camping

Here is the bike with both pads mounted.

Here's the single pad, the helmet cam distorts the angles but you can kind of see how the pillion is slimmer and fits the front of the seat. When I had the medium pad in front the wide section would hang off the edge just a bit, and the elastic straps were too long in conjunction with the size of the pad so it was constantly moving around. Maybe Finn found a solution for that fitment but I found it was a better match for the rear of the seat.

What one should you buy? It depends where you sit on the bike, what size your butt is, and all of the usual subjective areas of discussion when it comes to seats. If it were me I'd order both, try them, and send back the one that isn't needed.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I have the Airhawk2 (less expensive version) and like it a lot. I generally don't leave it on the bike, but pop it on long rides or multi-day rides.

There is a common mistake that most people make with the Airhawks, myself included, that initially raises you up and causes "sliding around". The mistake is putting in too much air. They really require a minimal amount of air, usually this adds about 1/4" of height to the seat. I can almost guarantee that no matter how little you put in, you will let air out 2-3 times before you realize how little is really needed.

I have a 32" inseam and just barely miss flat footing with the airhawk on a standard, stock 800 seat. I found seats to be too much like religion, no one could quite agree, probably because we're all built differently. $99 and an easy return if needed beat the heck out of gambling $4-500 for an aftermarket seat for my wallet.

Really not much risk.. Keep it clean and you can return it if you dont like it. Buy it from a retail store and they should let you try one or two sizes on your bike if you ride to the store. Even JP cycles' giant store in Daytona let me do that when I went into total asslock on a ride from Fort Lauderdale to VA.

BillsburgGS screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 03:13 PM Reason: Typpos
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
MichaelRay OP
Adventurer

Great advice everyone. I really do appreciate the help Thanks! Where's a good place to buy one? Any suggestions?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
I use the small cruiser in the Airhawk 2 version for $99 bucks Canadian from Avicious cycle in Ontario.
You'll find it at most places in the same price range in the USA.
The most important thing is that it requires very little air to do its thing. Blow it up full and then use the little valve to bleed off air until you are about a half an inch off the seat. Then you won't get any rolling effect and you will get all day comfort, good ventilation, and you will forget it is even there after getting used to it. It will transform the F8 from a torture rack to one of the most comfortable seats you can get.
I've said it before and will say it again, it is the single biggest improvement an accessory has made to one of my bikes in 4 decades of riding and is a great bargain in the polyurethane version.
At first I though I might have needed the medium cruiser size but I found the small cruiser to be perfect.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
MoodyBlues
Hey! Watch this.

Oddometer: 391
[QUOTE=Lost Rider;18031759]I use the Medium Cruiser pad to get more support on the outsides for better weight distribution....

Ditto. Same size. Gives me enough room to move around on long hauls.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
'13 KTM 500 XC-W
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
MichaelRay OP
Adventurer

BTW - I tend to sit close to the tank (front). Do you think that matters in anyone's recommendations?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Medium cruiser: $77
http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Medium...9944117&sr=8-1

Small pillion: $71
http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Small-...9944117&sr=8-3

Small cruiser: $87
http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Seat-C...9944117&sr=8-6
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,078
check this out. I got it from Costco for $15 and works great

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698145
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
MichaelRay OP
Adventurer

Holy cow! Looks like you strapped your lazyboy to the bike... :o)
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRay View Post
Holy cow! Looks like you strapped your lazyboy to the bike... :o)
Yeah, most of the strap style seat cushions look stupid. Better to just buy a real aftermarket seat. Personally I see the airhawk as a temporary solution to an inconvenient issue (waiting for renazco).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
MichaelRay OP
Adventurer

I'm going to try the airhawk. As a matter of fact, I just ordered one today. I don't hate the stock seat and will probably keep using it "as is" 80% of the time, but for LONG distance, I know I'll need something to help. If this doesn't work, maybe I'll try a custom seat. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
Yeah, most of the strap style seat cushions look stupid.
Better to just buy a real aftermarket seat.
Personally I see the airhawk as a temporary solution to an inconvenient issue (waiting for renazco).

You speak with such certainty in your widespread opinions, you should possibly go ride some long miles in on your Renazco, then come tell us what's better for long riding days.
I'd settle for an informed opinion, cause as I see it, you currently have zero miles on an f800gs with a Renazco seat.
They are awesome seats no doubt, one of the finest made around IMO, but don't think for a minute that it or any custom seat is the end all salvation for LONG distance riding, and I don't mean little 5 day trips to Death Valley.
The airhawk offers things any seat can't, especially the excellent air flow to keep you dry and zero pressure points.
Some people need a custom seat and cushion to get comfy, many don't.

I'm not so foolish as to proclaim the Airhawk as the only solution for everyone wanting to eliminate ass-pain, but if you're serious about long miles it's a well proven and less expensive place to start. I use mine on top of my nice custom and very pricey Mayer seat on my 12R that's seen a lot of miles, and that seat is a perfect fit, but without the Airhawk I'm just not as comfortable for the LONG haul.
YRMV

I'm not really sure how to take your signature Matt, it seems pretty ironic.

What cushion did you get MichaelRay?

Let us know how you like it!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 12:11 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
IQm3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb Problem solved...

I have the “Small Cruiser” and the standard height BMW seat on my F800GS, it works great.
For the pillion the “Cruiser Pillion”, so far no complaints form my wife.
It adds a lot of comfort and gives you the advantage to take it of when riding in town and/or to the office. Beats the heck out of spending $400.00+ usd in a custom seat, for me getting an AirHawk seat was the solution.
You won’t regret it
IQm3 is offline   Reply With Quote