User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
toshibasz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
help with 1976 R60/6 front end swap

Need some help advice....I just bought my "new" bike - 1976 R60/6 and after a first ride I was terrified with the braking of the front drum brakes so I immediately decided that I must do some front end conversion. Considering 2 options:

-I have good price for R65 single disc forks and R75/6 front wheel with disc. Will they "fit together"?

- i would like to swap it with front end with some jap-bike (with spoke wheels). This is my preferred option. Can you suggest me a bike which front end will fit with BMW r60/6 chassis?

I dont know...maybe Im askin some stupid questions but my mechanical knowledge is minus zillion. I would like to apologize for that and also for my bad English.

Thanks a lot
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,223
If the R65 has dual disk brakes this MAY be the best option IMHO. The single Ate disk on the R75/6 will disappoint you. In fact the drum brakes on an R60/6 can be made to out perform the single Ate disk. But I don't think you want to have GOOD brakes I think you want the BEST brakes.

I really don't think you will be happy with this bike ever. Get rid of it and buy something you will be happy with.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
toshibasz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
If the R65 has dual disk brakes this MAY be the best option IMHO. The single Ate disk on the R75/6 will disappoint you. In fact the drum brakes on an R60/6 can be made to out perform the single Ate disk. But I don't think you want to have GOOD brakes I think you want the BEST brakes.

I really don't think you will be happy with this bike ever. Get rid of it and buy something you will be happy with.
I dont need best brakes. I just need brakes .. dual discs front with spoke 18/19 wheel.Thats all. This is a sort of my project bike. (even im idiot with mechanics).... I have 2009 Wee for every day ride....
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,548
The drum's are pretty OK when set up correctly... my R60/5 had two finger brakes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
photorider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
As others have suggested: clean, lube and adjust the brakes you have before you go spending a bunch of money. They may surprise you. Yes, they take a little more hand pressure but can be made to work well.
I'm kind of glad I don't need to mess with brake fluid and besides, the drum brakes kinda fit the character of the machine. Just my humble opinion...
photorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,398
My /5 with a single disk ATE front end, converted to HB mounted MC brakes very well. Better in fact than it did with the dual disk ATE setup with the stock under tank MC. It's not great by modern standards, but I never want for more. I recently rode a friend's R60/6, and I agree with you, I didn't have anything nice to say about the drum front end.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
toshibasz OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
My /5 with a single disk ATE front end, converted to HB mounted MC brakes very well. Better in fact than it did with the dual disk ATE setup with the stock under tank MC. It's not great by modern standards, but I never want for more. I recently rode a friend's R60/6, and I agree with you, I didn't have anything nice to say about the drum front end.
JC....what parts did u used to convert it? Forks and wheel...

toshibasz screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 12:08 PM
toshibasz is offline   Reply With Quote