User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
coloktmGS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Best Middleweight Thumpers or Twins??

Ok...so I have a '07 640 Adv that I have a strange relationship with. I can give you a laundry list of things I don't like about it:

-The vibes
-The narrow gear ratios
-The weight
-The vibes

But curiously, whenever I need to go for a ride, I always pick the orange pig to go for a ride on instead of my BMW R1200R, even if no dirt is involved. I have no idea why but that bike just calls me and whenever I walk into the garage to go for a ride, it's like the R12R is so good but there's that word on the side of the 640...Adventure. Even a quick trip to the grocery has potential...

Trips to the hatchery:

Untitled by coloktmGS, on Flickr

Trips to get the baby's crib

Untitled by coloktmGS, on Flickr

So here's the issue: I want to downsize to one bike and want something that still has the ability to go for that adventurous excursion but is more comfortable for a 200-500 mile day on the road. Is the limitation lie within the thumper family (singles)? Other criteria:

-would like ABS but not deal breaker
-I love the suspension of the KTM 640, how will the others compare?
-Off-road worthiness?

So now, I'd love some comparisons from people who've actually ridden these twins/thumpers:

KTM 640 ADV
- Is this suspension really that good or is it just all I know?

KTM 690
- Are the vibes any better?

BMW F800GS
- What's better about this than the 1200GS?

KTM 990ADV
- Is reliability a problem?

Triumph 800XC
-Is british engineering any better than the old days?

Other thumpers/twins worth a look?
coloktmGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,813
Been wondering the same thing.

All of the options you mentioned are pretty spendy. Too bad Honda didn't take things a bit further with the NC700X. It's got an exposed sump, and an exhaust located where it can be easily damaged... other than that, a pretty promising package. I wish it had less plastic and more purpose! I think the Versys and WeeStrom are little better in this regard.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,516
I've ridden all those bikes except the Triumph.

KTM has nice suspension. It's not just you.

The 690 vibes are less that the 640. I did not find the 6 spd in it any better than the 640 5 spd. I find the 640 more comfortable. I prefer the efi of the 690.

The F800 is a beautiful bike. Its smooth, has good power from idle to redline and is comfortable. If I was starting from scratch, I'd consider it. Is it worth dumping a 640 and paying CAN$15k+ for? Not to me.

I think the KTM9XX is known for it's reliability, not its fragility. Some owners with the SM models are clocking 100 000 miles.

I'd love to try the XC, I hear it's got a great motor.

Maybe you could try a couple of mods to your 640. The open air box and carb mods are supposed to help. Rubber mounted Rox risers could help on the bars.
It's a shame the 640's are so hit amd miss. I have 3 640s in my garage. Only one of them has vibes that I consider excessive. The other 2 are much smoother.
Keep an eye open in the flea market for bits and pieces that might help. You may be able to turn your adv into something more manageable for not a lot of $$$.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,305
F800gs
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote